Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I just treat this like the job it is. Being a lawyer funds the life I live outside of the office. It's impossible to totally escape it, but I try my best not to think about this stuff unless I am working on it.

I wake up in the middle of the night and think about the big cases. It's much worse leading up to a trial or oral argument. That's just how your brain works---being a lawyer means thinking about your cases inside and out, writing about them, talking about them, again and again. You can't just shut that off when the whistle blows. There's no way for your brain to block it out completely, especially not if you care about doing a good job. Hopefully you can find a way to make sure your clients compensate you for some or all of this time, since it certainly inures to their benefit.

But you can do your best to avoid this involuntary mental labor, and focus on other things in your life. Hopefully you have other things in your life that make this easy.

I know plenty of lawyers that have those things, but ignore them. They certainly project that this is something they want to do, or even enjoy. This goes for litigators as well as transactional lawyers. I used to work with one guy who would blow his wife off basically every night so he could work late. I would hear him getting yelled at on the regular but he didn't give a poo poo. He would go out of his way to make phone calls and send emails every waking hour of his life, no matter where he was. He makes a shitload of money and has a huge book of business. He's also an rear end in a top hat with no social skills whatsoever and nobody (including his wife and clients) seem to like him. But he has wholly embraced this life and it defines him. I have friends who use him as their lawyer and they all say the same thing: "L is a weirdo but he always answers my calls." I'm sure his wife soothes her annoyance by checking the bank account in their mansion.

Some litigators cannot have a conversation for five minutes without it reverting back to work, whether it be current cases they are handling or stupid war story anecdotes that nobody in the conversation cares about (and many have already heard half a dozen times anyway). These people are "trial lawyers" first and "people" second. They define themselves by how many jury trials they have tried to verdict and measure themselves against every other lawyer by this standard alone ("if you settle halfway through the trial it doesn't count"). Many times they are actually social, funny, engaging people---you sort of have to be in order to be a successful trial lawyer---but you get the sense their brains are permanently in the "lawyer" mode.

One such guy, a senior insurance defense lawyer, was chatting with me over drinks and we got on the subject of writing as a hobby. He mentioned that he had written a novel, and this was new information about him to me so I asked him about it because I like to write too. It was a novel about a young civil lawyer who has a fee dispute with one of his insurance company clients that drags him into a conspiracy with plaintiff lawyers inflating medical bills. Fascinating. I wish I was making that up.

This job is stressful enough as it is (doubly so if you are also on the side of developing clients and running the firm). You don't need to let little stuff get your blood pressure up. Also the legal system is loving stupid and unjust in basically random ways so the sooner you realize you can't really control that and all you can do is your best, the better it is for your mental health. I can't tell you how many awful decisions I've seen (both for and against me, but mostly against because I am a defense lawyer) so by now it usually doesn't surprise or bother me any more. Explaining this injustice to clients that have no experience with the legal system is the worst part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
It stinks that there's just no balance at all. I don't worry about cases when I go home, don't have dreams about work anymore. I do, however, get to have conversations with my wife about how she wants me to leave the law (to do what??) because I don't make enough money to support the family.

so either you make money and have work stress, or you don't make money and have life stress

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 13, 2021

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/985857908154957824

At this point, what bad practice hasn't Cohen committed? Aside from sleeping with his client.

Well, Cohen's lawyer did talk about what a "different relationship" Cohen and Trump had in order to explain the $130k payment. So who knows?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Mr. Nice! posted:

FL/MBE/Overall
Fail/Pass/Pass

Congrats!

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Hey SlyFrog, glad to see you post again. I was thinking about you the other week. How have things been the last few months? Any better?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

:tif:

LOL Michael Cohen represents Sean Hannity.

Also

https://twitter.com/PPVSRB/status/985958503742365697

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
These Monday bombshells are really torpedoing my productivity.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Hannity:

quote:

"What else can you say except that, 'I never gave him a retainer, never received an invoice, never paid any fees,'" he said. "I might have handed him 10 bucks. 'I definitely want attorney-client privilege on this.' Something like that."

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I was only joking about everything, except that I absolutely wanted it to be privileged. During our conversation I also said "just kidding FBI ha ha" so none of it was actually criminal in any way.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I had jury duty in the civil courthouse today.

The courthouse where I am four days out of the week. Every week.

So I get into the venire panel and I recognize Plaintiff's counsel. He was the guy I was told to watch to learn how to try cases seven years ago. I tell that to the Judge and the venire panel and he laughs.

And then, instead of trying for strikes, Plaintiff's counsel does his damned best to prime the jury pool. And I'm helping. Because every time he asks the easy questions, he has me hit the hard questions. Things like:

"Does anyone think these kinds of accidents preventable?"

*holds up card*

"Yes, Mr. Scraps?"

"Almost all of these accidents are preventable if the employer is willing to spend a few dollars insuring the safety of their employees instead of thinking about their bottom line."

And

"Why would an employee do something dangerous?"

*holds up card*

"Yes, Mr. Scraps?"

"Unequal bargaining power. The employee probably needs the job a lot more than the employer needs them."

Defense counsel was PISSED.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
lmoa

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Holy poo poo what a dumb defense counsel. The moment you say that he should have moved for mistrial/new panel or whatever. I've seen a juror dismissed sua sponte for cause mid voir dire. Why did the judge let that go on?!

Edit: taco boy does that mean you passed? Not very clear legal writing imo

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Holy poo poo what a dumb defense counsel. The moment you say that he should have moved for mistrial/new panel or whatever. I've seen a juror dismissed sua sponte for cause mid voir dire. Why did the judge let that go on?!

He instead tried to dunk on me.

"I saw a stroller with a sticker on it that said 'Do not fold with baby inside.' Does anyone else think we need these stickers? Besides Mr. Scraps, I mean?"

One of the potential jurors leaned over to me and asked "Why is he being so mean to you?"

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

mastershakeman posted:

It stinks that there's just no balance at all. I don't worry about cases when I go home, don't have dreams about work anymore. I do, however, get to have conversations with my wife about how she wants me to leave the law (to do what??) because I don't make enough money to support the family.

so either you make money and have work stress, or you don't make money and have life stress

You can work for the state like I keep telling ya'll.
We just hired two more goddamn attorneys today apparently.

CaptainScraps posted:

"I saw a stroller with a sticker on it that said 'Do not fold with baby inside.' Does anyone else think we need these stickers? Besides Mr. Scraps, I mean?"

One of the potential jurors leaned over to me and asked "Why is he being so mean to you?"

Lol. Also apparently, some honda minivan seats just folded up on a 16 year old and killed him, so maybe?
Then 911 botched the call. Plaintiffs counsel's gonna make money.

nm fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 16, 2018

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

CaptainScraps posted:

Whelp, sounds like the Plaintiff won.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
I want you all to know that when I found out Cohen went to Cooley and was now revealed today as irl Barry Zuckercorn I thought of this thread.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Petey posted:

I want you all to know that when I found out Cohen went to Cooley and was now revealed today as irl Barry Zuckercorn I thought of this thread.

Wb petey tell us how is academic life

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

nm posted:

You can work for the state like I keep telling ya'll.

Wife refuses to leave Illinois where her parents are. State here pays very little for highly competitive jobs that I have no ins for (I couldn't even get hired despite a half dozen interviews back when my dad was a legislator, let alone now after he's been retired for a bit)

for what it's worth, deputy attorney generals here make 60kish and haven't had a raise in ten years

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

mastershakeman posted:

Wife refuses to leave Illinois where her parents are. State here pays very little for highly competitive jobs that I have no ins for (I couldn't even get hired despite a half dozen interviews back when my dad was a legislator, let alone now after he's been retired for a bit)

for what it's worth, deputy attorney generals here make 60kish and haven't had a raise in ten years
Southwest flys from smf to mdw like 4 times a day.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I did indeed. If i was just taking the florida portion individually i would have failed. However, my mbe score was high enough that my cumulative score was passing.

So yeah, i passed. I posted it in the format florida lists on the results.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Any big litigation goons have opinions on Stormy Daniels' attorney? Like, I can tell he's a braggart, but is he actually good or is Cohen just that lovely?

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Pook Good Mook posted:

Any big litigation goons have opinions on Stormy Daniels' attorney? Like, I can tell he's a braggart, but is he actually good or is Cohen just that lovely?

He buttoned the bottom button on his blazer so he’s probably a massive idiot.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Pook Good Mook posted:

I haven’t been following too closely but he seems pretty solid so far.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

CaptainScraps posted:

What on earth, this sounds like some kind of skit.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Pook Good Mook posted:

he seems pretty good and his public stuff seems to be assisting hs case

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Also Cohen is REALLY bad. Like, amazingly bad. Like, cooley grad bad.

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
Canada-specific question but open to input from everyone:

Would you rather article (for the Americans it's a 10 month internship you gotta do after law school in order to get called) in the legal department of a decent size municipality or at a small corporate boutique in Toronto? 55k at the city, 65k at the firm

Might have to make a choice soon, I've worked in gov in the past and liked it but worried that I'd be limiting my career by never working in private practice

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

WaveLength posted:

Would you rather article (for the Americans it's a 10 month internship you gotta do after law school in order to get called) in the legal department of a decent size municipality or at a small corporate boutique in Toronto? 55k at the city, 65k at the firm

Might have to make a choice soon, I've worked in gov in the past and liked it but worried that I'd be limiting my career by never working in private practice

If Canada is like America you would be limiting your career by going straight government but you would drastically increase your odds of getting a government job. So if there's a chance the government is hiring and you want to be there, great. But there's always a chance they don't. Also government work might give you more of an in to quasi-transactional law firm work in the zoning/compliance/development end of things. How that compares to the boutique really depends on the boutique, what they do, what they're known for, etc.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

I did indeed. If i was just taking the florida portion individually i would have failed. However, my mbe score was high enough that my cumulative score was passing.

Congratulations!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Congratulations!

Thanks. I met a named partner from a tri-state partnership up north that was trying to expand to ft lauderdale when i took the test. He hasn’t responded back to my email asking about his scores. A friend of mine on his his third shot passed as well, so mostly good news all around.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm sorry you are an attorney now. :rip:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

nm posted:

I'm sorry you are an attorney now. :rip:

Not until he gets sworn in. There's still time! :black101:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

ulmont posted:

Not until he gets sworn in. There's still time! :black101:

He sold the taco truck already though.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
so much depends
upon

a red taco
truck

glazed with rain
water

beside the white
clients.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Wb petey tell us how is academic life

I am disappoint

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

WaveLength posted:

I would say whichever one has the principal with the least LSUC complaints and that ex-articled students say was a cool mentor.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

SlyFrog posted:

I wish I had that. For me, it was the opposite. I did not want to be there. But then, I don't understand how you can want to live at the office, but be stressed by the office. Things that stress me I do not want.

EDIT: Editing this to make clear that I am decidedly not trying to take your pain and say, "Pffft, I wish I had that problem." I do not mean it like that. Just that my experience was that the time I was in the office was torturous. It sounds like you would be in the office all the time but for your recognition that you needed to be with your family and maintain some balance. For me, I had to try desperately to make myself stay at the office in the face of an internal voice that is always screaming at me to get away.

It isn't like I get up every day thinking "oh boy another day at the office and away from that burdensome family!" It's more like "all of my clients are depending on me so it's either work on their cases and feel guilt for not being at home or go home and feel guilt for not being at work."

I suspect (hope) some of my issues are just burnout. I'm going to California soon on vacation so hopefully so time away from the office will do me some good.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Arcturas posted:

If Canada is like America you would be limiting your career by going straight government but you would drastically increase your odds of getting a government job. So if there's a chance the government is hiring and you want to be there, great. But there's always a chance they don't. Also government work might give you more of an in to quasi-transactional law firm work in the zoning/compliance/development end of things. How that compares to the boutique really depends on the boutique, what they do, what they're known for, etc.

All of this is correct in Canada. A massive perk of getting hired for the provincial or federal government is that you're in an internal hire pool that gets first (or exclusive) dibs at future work. Is this a municipality that had some potential for upward growth (like Toronto) or a small town with two lawyers handling everything for the city? Is there even a potential for hireback at either of these places? Do you know anyone that you could talk to about the work environment? If there's any litigation involved, have you taken a look at canlii to see if any names pop up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

GamingHyena posted:

It isn't like I get up every day thinking "oh boy another day at the office and away from that burdensome family!" It's more like "all of my clients are depending on me so it's either work on their cases and feel guilt for not being at home or go home and feel guilt for not being at work."

I suspect (hope) some of my issues are just burnout. I'm going to California soon on vacation so hopefully so time away from the office will do me some good.

Sure, it's nice to get away from the job for a while, but it's also nice to get away from the family and deal with adult problems and people who don't break down and start screaming because the other kid looked at one of his toys funny.