Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

lobster22221 posted:

Which game had the best end game balance between magic and physical attacking?

FF6? Both end game options were broken as poo poo. Gem Box + Economizer and Quick for 4x Ultima spam or genji glove + offering and Atma Weapon/Valiant Knife setups to hit 8x for a metric shitload of damage and potentially 1-shot kefka.

Or dual wield Illumnia's (if you give up the Ragnarok Esper for the sword, you monster) and have someone who couldn't be hit by just about anything... and also hits for 9999x2 plus some extra damage from the Illumina swords casting Pearl.

e: or for magic you give everyone fire null/absord gear of some kind and spam Merton, nuking enemies while healing your party.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

lobster22221 posted:

FF9 was fairly balanced for a game that didn't allow more than 9999 multi-hits outside of Trance. You had Dragon Crest/Thievery/Shock/Throw, but you also had some easy elemental options in Vivi/Garnet/Eiko (and every boss except humanoids had an elemental weakness), and of course the 4x Reflect trick.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Dragonatrix posted:

Never forget:

I love that walkthrough so much.

quote:

Buy three more Ice rods, so you should have 2.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

apophenium posted:

Oh poo poo you can summon Espers? I had no idea!

On the person that has the Esper equipped, go to the top of their magic menu and press up. You can summon each once per battle.

Trappers will ruin you if you're characters are a multiple of level 5.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Are any of the espers really worth summoning?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
A couple of them are a bit stronger than 2-level spells. A single phantom cast can basically auto win some dungeons. Fenrir and Golem have their uses similarily. Odin/Raiden have that insta-kill effect that's pretty reliable. Phoenix has an AOE revive.

They're rare, but some of them aren't completely useless. They're just situational tools in an overloaded toolkit.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

lobster22221 posted:

FF13 but that might be cheating because the only difference is an animation and which base stat it scales off of.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm not sure what the best balanced ones were, but FF8 and FF10 were definitely the worst. Magic is essentially worthless past a certain point in those games.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm not sure what the best balanced ones were, but FF8 and FF10 were definitely the worst. Magic is essentially worthless past a certain point in those games.

Not really unless you compare it to limit breaks in 8. In 10 it's only worthless in the postgame, for the actual story the balance is good.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Offensive Magic seemed kind of bad in vanilla FF12 to me, and then overpowered as hell thanks to the removal of the spell queue + Scathe spamming in Zodiac Age.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Magic is very good in Zodiac Age because it deals burst AoE dmg and you can have 3 mages firing spells non stop.

Physical dmg is still the way to go but magic never stops being useful against large groups.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

bloom posted:

Not really unless you compare it to limit breaks in 8. In 10 it's only worthless in the postgame, for the actual story the balance is good.

Well, we're talking about endgame. Also limit breaks are spammable in FF8 and don't cost you any resources, so they're just flat out superior.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I stopped using magic past a certain point in 8 because I sure as poo poo didn't want to have to redraw to keep my junctions at max stats.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FF3D had a good balance of physical power and magic. Magic absolutely never becomes worthless or anything. Dual-wielding ensures physical attackers probably do more on average but not that much more and there are many situations you'll want magic.

Although, now I think on it, somebody once told me that the 9999 limit is a lie in the game. Even if says you only did 9999 damage, you actually can do more than that. Dunno if that's true or not.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Fister Roboto posted:

Well, we're talking about endgame. Also limit breaks are spammable in FF8 and don't cost you any resources, so they're just flat out superior.

Ah, I missed it was about endgame. Still if the question is between physical vs magic attacks I don't know if it's really fair to count limit breaks there.

If you compare normal physical attacks to spells in FF8 spells actually come out ahead. In damage that is, you'll want to use attacks anyway unless you really like those triple animations.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Also, why wouldn't you convert the Ragnarok into a sword? The paladin shield gives you access to Ultima anyways.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

seiferguy posted:

Also, why wouldn't you convert the Ragnarok into a sword? The paladin shield gives you access to Ultima anyways.

You might be playing a version where you can have both, because you can keep what you steal from the final boss.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
The best endgame limit break in FFVIII (Angel Wing) requires magic to use anyway, so magic is still plenty strong.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

bloom posted:

Ah, I missed it was about endgame. Still if the question is between physical vs magic attacks I don't know if it's really fair to count limit breaks there.

If you compare normal physical attacks to spells in FF8 spells actually come out ahead. In damage that is, you'll want to use attacks anyway unless you really like those triple animations.

But there's no opportunity cost to using a limit break versus a normal attack, and it's incredibly easy to set yourself up so that you can limit break on every turn. And I'd argue that normal physical attacks are also better than magic, since they can crit, inflict status ailments, and most importantly don't consume spell charges.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Bongo Bill posted:

You might be playing a version where you can have both, because you can keep what you steal from the final boss.

Fair enough, but I'd rather have it for most of the WoR, plus it's not like the Ragnarok magicite does anything worthwhile besides teach Ultima :v:

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Hyper Inferno posted:

The best endgame limit break in FFVIII (Angel Wing) requires magic to use anyway, so magic is still plenty strong.

Yeah, why are y'all talking about the difference between FF8's endgame limit breaks and magic as if you had to choose

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp-q5FEsm6w

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I finally forced myself to finish FF6 a few days ago, and grinding the 255 battles to uncurse the shield just didn't seem worth the effort when I could just pick up the magicite that has Ultima, quickly kill a few Cactuars at 10 AP a time, and then just loldemolish Kefka's Tower in the low 40's.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

seiferguy posted:

Fair enough, but I'd rather have it for most of the WoR, plus it's not like the Ragnarok magicite does anything worthwhile besides teach Ultima :v:

The actual Ragnarok esper can cast Morph, which transforms monsters into items. I don't think you can get anything cool with it of course, and technically you can replicate it with the Magicite item and rolling Ragnarok (though, uh, have fun doing that), but it's still something.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Was Angel Wing that good? I had no idea. And one thing I didn't like that much about 8 was that I had the impression that certain characters had incredible limits and others had extremely poo poo ones.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Are any of the espers really worth summoning?

They're very strong, like somewhere between a lv2 and a lv3 spell, and they don't divide damage over multiple targets. They often have elemental typing that's hard to get, too, like Bismark and Water, or Terrato and Earth. Obviously their power drops off sharply once you get real lv3 spells, but even then they can be used for utility spells. Golem blocks damage from physical attacks, which is an effect you absolutely can't get anywhere else; Palidor has some defensive utility because it makes your entire party jump; Phantom and Carbuncle cast single-target effects on the entire party; barring stuff like Ramuh, Shiva, Ifrit, and weird status effect espers like Stray and Siren (because status effects suck in FF6), they all have a use that can't really be gotten from regular magic.

Hyper Inferno posted:

Actually it does not. Angel Wing is "true magic," because Rinoa is a sorceress, and drawn magic is "paramagic," and it's just fake poo poo, so the limit is completely independent from your spell stocks.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Raxivace posted:

I finally forced myself to finish FF6 a few days ago, and grinding the 255 battles to uncurse the shield just didn't seem worth the effort when I could just pick up the magicite that has Ultima, quickly kill a few Cactuars at 10 AP a time, and then just loldemolish Kefka's Tower in the low 40's.

I think anyone here could've told you as much beforehand.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

zedprime posted:

FF13 but that might be cheating because the only difference is an animation and which base stat it scales off of.

There are also some other differences like Ravagers magic in general being more impressive than their physical abilities, for AOE stuff, chaining stuff, or Aerora/ga being launchers.

There's also other differences too. Physical attacks usually have more Cut/Keep (aka, how likely your move will interrupt the opponent/likely your move will be interupted) over their magic equivalents, and have a higher base damage over magic attacks. On the other hand, magic attacks cannot be evaded (less relevant for considering offense, but pretty important for when you want to look at sentinels) and stay far away which can be crucial for positioning. There's also a difference in a slight damage variation between them (physical attacks have less damage variance than magic) but I don't think it's entirely relevant.

Ultimately, I'd agree with saying FF13 but for kinda the opposite reason you said. Physical and magic attacks are usually so specific and both necessary mechanically that you have to use both, aside from the rare battles where you have to use 1 or the other. So they both end up as being just as good when it comes to endgame since you kinda need both.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

The White Dragon posted:

Actually it does not. Angel Wing is "true magic," because Rinoa is a sorceress, and drawn magic is "paramagic," and it's just fake poo poo, so the limit is completely independent from your spell stocks.

it still deals damage based off your magic stat lol

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kanfy posted:

I think anyone here could've told you as much beforehand.

Paladin's Shield is the most worth thing in the entire game, put it and the Snow Muffler on Mog and he's mathematically invulnerable at any level. Just make sure you get Locke and it first thing in WoR. If you do all the other sidequests with the Cursed Shield equipped, you'll easily have hit 255 encoutners by the time you're done with everything else.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The White Dragon posted:

Paladin's Shield is the most worth thing in the entire game, put it and the Snow Muffler on Mog and he's mathematically invulnerable at any level. Just make sure you get Locke and it first thing in WoR. If you do all the other sidequests with the Cursed Shield equipped, you'll easily have hit 255 encoutners by the time you're done with everything else.
Yeah part of the issue is that Locke was the second to last character I found.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Paperhouse posted:

Was Angel Wing that good? I had no idea. And one thing I didn't like that much about 8 was that I had the impression that certain characters had incredible limits and others had extremely poo poo ones.

Angel Wing functions as a "magic berserk" causing Rhinoa to spam random offensive spells with a 5x multiplier, heavily weighted towards lovely stuff like Scan and Fira or whatever. The two keys are that 1) Rhinoa won't cast spells she doesn't have, and 2) Angel Wing doesn't use curative and support magic. So just give her no offensive magic except Meteor (junctioned to Magic), hit Angel Wing, and watch postgame bosses just kinda evaporate in a hail of 8x9999s.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Fun fact, if you were ever to get multiple "cursed shields" (not possible in regular gameplay) and equip them, the counter would go down by a multiple of the amount of shields you had, but only one would get uncursed when you reached the end, and the counter will roll over.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Time to hack the Genji Glove so my party can wield eight shields.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Always grab Mog first in the WoR and his moogle charm. Technically you could easily beat the Phoenix Cave shortly after with your original 4 in one party and Mog by himself. Then at that point, go whichever way you want to. Probably to get Cyan since that's where the game kind of leads you to.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Today I learned that since FFX is a story tube, they set some lockouts based on location rather than a flag.

You wait there Yunalesca, I'm gonna go play some Blitzball in the Calm Lands. I'll be back eventually, promise.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Mega64 posted:

The actual Ragnarok esper can cast Morph, which transforms monsters into items. I don't think you can get anything cool with it of course, and technically you can replicate it with the Magicite item and rolling Ragnarok (though, uh, have fun doing that), but it's still something.

you can morph birds near the coliseum into exp eggs

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Bruceski posted:

Today I learned that since FFX is a story tube, they set some lockouts based on location rather than a flag.

You wait there Yunalesca, I'm gonna go play some Blitzball in the Calm Lands. I'll be back eventually, promise.

FFX:International had a glitch that let you skip to an earlier part of the game by walking past an npc letting your reset the games state back to the bikanel island sequence. It did however mean you were softlocked if you triggered a certain gate in via purifico making you unable to finish the dungeon.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ohtsam posted:

FFX:International had a glitch that let you skip to an earlier part of the game by walking past an npc letting your reset the games state back to the bikanel island sequence. It did however mean you were softlocked if you triggered a certain gate in via purifico making you unable to finish the dungeon.

I'm certainly glad I didn't encounter that.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
If you replaced every final fantasy character with birds, which game would be improved the most?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

lobster22221 posted:

If you replaced every final fantasy character with birds, which game would be improved the most?
Probably FF8 because you change SeeD into a bird pun.