Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anthonypants posted:

windows 10 still includes a groove music uwp app which can't be uninstalled from the gui

thats a good one yea, especially since offical murder of groove in favour of spotify partnerhip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Boiled Water posted:

aren’t they reinstalled during every update like the telemetry settings?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

neither of those has done it in a while for me

They used to, but Microsoft has explicitly stopped that practice with the first Creator's Update, I think. I remember reading about it on the Windows Blog.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Apr 15, 2018

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fame Douglas posted:

They used to, but Microsoft has explicitly stopped that practice with the first Creator's Update, I think. I remember reading about it on the Windows Blog.

i know that they are used to, im saying that it has been long rear end while since that was the case

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
when i installed the spring creators update i did see some uwp apps get installed, but it was microsoft's uwp crap and not like, candy crush or minecraft or turbotax. but they did mention that the spring creators update was broken so maybe that's the part that was broken.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i wonder if they've fixed the thing that causes any user not logged in when the update is run to have their star menu reset

i mean presumably not, because was almost certainly intentional, but it'd be nice

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
maybe they can even figure out how to retain my "don't show me loving ads in the start menu you cocksuckers" setting between major updates

a man can dream

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

also looking forward to seeing just how hilariously timeline fucks things up. because this being microsoft, the only way i see "application state follows you between systems" working is "and now everything is crashing everywhere"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

infernal machines posted:

also looking forward to seeing just how hilariously timeline fucks things up. because this being microsoft, the only way i see "application state follows you between systems" working is "and now everything is crashing everywhere"
i love that they introduced multiple desktops and got it working mostly properly and are looking to gently caress up everyone who incorporated it into their workflow by changing the layout & including more/different functionality into it

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ive still yet to see anyone use virtual desktops professionally

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

cinci zoo sniper posted:

ive still yet to see anyone use virtual desktops professionally
it is absolutely a thing and it is almost never used the way it's intended

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anthonypants posted:

it is absolutely a thing and it is almost never used the way it's intended

whom can we blame for not doing a thing as microsoft intended

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Aliens VS Wizards

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Aliens VS Wizards

:eyepop:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Aliens VS Wizards

:golfclap:

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

anthonypants posted:

windows 10 still includes a groove music uwp app which can't be uninstalled from the gui

just lol if you dont

get-appxpackage | remove-appxpackage

immediately on every w10 computer you use

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

NEED MORE MILK posted:

just lol if you dont

But then how do you launch calculator

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

No making GBS threads you, they made calculator an app

If you need to reinstall it, you have to go to the store

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

NEED MORE MILK posted:

just lol if you dont

windows 95: use the start menu to shutdown
windows 10: use get app command to remove app

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

No making GBS threads you, they made calculator an app

If you need to reinstall it, you have to go to the store

yeah lmao, you actually can break the store by doing get-appxprovisionedpackage | remove-appxprovisionedpackage

i just replaced it with pre app calc.exe

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

what do you do on enterprise ltsb for a calculator? do you straight-up need a third party solution?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

copy excel.exe calc.exe

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Chris Knight posted:

windows 95: use the start menu to shutdown
windows 10: use get app command to remove app
the get- cmdlet gets a list of packages, and that list is piped into the remove- cmdlet, which attempts to remove all the packages in the list

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lol buddy never seen | before

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

univbee posted:

what do you do on enterprise ltsb for a calculator? do you straight-up need a third party solution?

calc.exe is there

source: my company's it inexplicably deploys laptops on ltsb

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

why inexplicably? wouldn't it make sense to want to minimize potential fuckery from forced updates?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ltsb is supposed to be for embedded systems, the one intended for enterprise laptops/desktops is "current branch for business" https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows-10/release-information

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

right, but ms has hosed up win 10 so often and badly that their recommendations will probably be ignored by poor sysadmins that just want the poo poo to work right for more than 6 months

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i just want the linux subsystem

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

univbee posted:

You made me curious and now I'm gonna make an honest effort to switch from calc to speedcrunch at work

It seems really nice and was the most popular option after wolframalpha without sending all your stuff to the cloud

http://speedcrunch.org

Only registered members can see post attachments!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

hobbesmaster posted:

ltsb is supposed to be for embedded systems, the one intended for enterprise laptops/desktops is "current branch for business" https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows-10/release-information
microsoft says ltsb/ltsc is for "special-purpose PCs such as those used in point-of-sale systems or controlling factory or medical equipment", windows 10 iot is for embedded

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

anthonypants posted:

microsoft says ltsb/ltsc is for "special-purpose PCs such as those used in point-of-sale systems or controlling factory or medical equipment", windows 10 iot is for embedded

i imagine very large institutions like international banks and others with workstations in the tens of thousands would also gravitate towards it in an effort to stretch the amount of time they are using specific software (in ui/functionality terms) as long as possible without having to spend crazy amounts of resources to deploy a new os and software (including retraining their staff of olds on how all the new poo poo works because none of the menus are the same and it was all straight muscle memory for them on the old versions)

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Does LTSB still have the annoying bug where subsequently opened windows act as if the previous iteration of that program wasn't closed and open a bit lower and to the right of the previous window (like happens when you're opening multiple Explorer windows, for example)?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Problem is LTSB is not supported by, for example, Windows 10 ATP

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

orange sky posted:

Problem is...Windows...

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
Microsoft releasing a Linux because Microsoft ♥ Linux

Trigger warning ; coffee cup man

https://www.thurrott.com/internet-of-things-iot/156628/microsofts-next-os-based-linux-not-windows

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Millstone posted:

Microsoft releasing a Linux because Microsoft ♥ Linux

Trigger warning ; coffee cup man

https://www.thurrott.com/internet-of-things-iot/156628/microsofts-next-os-based-linux-not-windows
here's a link for non-technical women and children: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/introducing-microsoft-azure-sphere-secure-and-power-the-intelligent-edge/

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
You can get a classic calculator install here if you are lazy: https://winaero.com/blog/get-calculator-from-windows-8-and-windows-7-in-windows-10/

Fame Douglas posted:

Does LTSB still have the annoying bug where subsequently opened windows act as if the previous iteration of that program wasn't closed and open a bit lower and to the right of the previous window (like happens when you're opening multiple Explorer windows, for example)?

I have LTSB at work and yes, this happens constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

considering how obvious a shitshow the current state of iot is this actually seems like a really good plan by microsoft

in that it is obviously a trick to lock functioning iot into talking to azure by default