Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Yeah, I eventually (on my second playthrough) maxed out Force and the free CP was nice with the other free CP accessories.

But Gladiator accessories aren't nearly as important in Cold Steel as they were in Sky, because you get SO MUCH CP from just playing the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Alisa and three physical characters is just too good.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

Is Rebellion actually any good? It seemed pretty mediocre to me.

All I know is that if you build Fie for damage and use stealth, she'll start doing 8-10,000 a pop.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Wait did stealth do something besides de-aggro? That's sorta what I assumed it did because there was never documentation on it (or was there?) and de-aggroing Fie was the last thing I wanted.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

I think it's just being untargetable (Which can allow you to dodge S-Crafts), and you're attacks will instant Crit.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I have learned that Tauros Domination S-Crafts are a thing.

That is really really bullshit.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

BrightWing posted:

I have learned that Tauros Domination S-Crafts are a thing.

That is really really bullshit.
That's my thing

Especially waiting for a critical before launching it :twisted:

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
What's more, you can augment it further with a Waterfall or Revolution quartz if the level disparity between you and the target is more than one or two levels. Multiplier stacking can get kind of ridiculous in this game. :)

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

In the final dungeon of TiTS. The creative use of camera has built in step with the narrative build in a super satisfying way. Across the entire game, but especially the final chapter. Joshua’s speech about how many people there are in the world all with their own stories. Lorence taking off his helmet and throwing it to the side. Estelle and Joshua meeting the queen. The entire raid of the Royal Villa is incredibly cinematic both narratively and visually - the glimpses of the ID soldiers fighting the Royal Guard you get is fantastic. So many impactful and cinematic moments.

A good rear end game

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

A good rear end series.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Hocus Pocus posted:

In the final dungeon of TiTS. The creative use of camera has built in step with the narrative build in a super satisfying way. Across the entire game, but especially the final chapter. Joshua’s speech about how many people there are in the world all with their own stories. Lorence taking off his helmet and throwing it to the side. Estelle and Joshua meeting the queen. The entire raid of the Royal Villa is incredibly cinematic both narratively and visually - the glimpses of the ID soldiers fighting the Royal Guard you get is fantastic. So many impactful and cinematic moments.

A good rear end game

There's a guard at the castle gates, I think Aluts is his name? He's one of my favorite NPC's, he was just so nice and helpful.

Erpy posted:

What's more, you can augment it further with a Waterfall or Revolution quartz if the level disparity between you and the target is more than one or two levels. Multiplier stacking can get kind of ridiculous in this game. :)

Chow down on some Curry and baby you got a stew goin on.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Hocus Pocus posted:

A good rear end game

I eagerly await your reactions to what comes later.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

If you cornered me somewhere, I'd probably have to say FC is my favourite ending to any game ever. Even if it is a big cliffhanger.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

That's a wrap on my five year later replay of Trails in the Sky FC. Currently downloading SC... which I think I played like an hour of in 2014, so that'll be totally new to me, which is very exciting. Can't believe I've left this story unresolved for so long.

I really liked FC when I first played it, but I think playing on a computer, with the benefit of turbo, and a different perspective on what the franchise's strengths are, made it an even better experience.

One of my biggest criticisms of games in general is how quickly so many escalate their stakes and scale. Heaps of modern games you spend the opening doing things with lower stakes, that are treated like a tutorial/exposition combo, but I often find these parts of games to be the most immersive and enjoyable sections. But then once the game is done tutorializing you, it dials everything immediately to 11.

But FC doesn't do that, it turns up the heat so slowly that you don't even realize how large and dramatic the scale has become. Everything feels like a gradual progression. The stakes remain grounded. And because of that I never lost interest in the characters or world. The framing of the Bracer Guild, and their rules definitely helps with that, I think.

Just some general thoughts on the final portion of the game:
- Tita's introduction to Kloe was very cute.
- Cassius' entrance, and Estelle's reaction, was as funny as I remembered.
- Do we know who the prospective Erebonian marriage candidate to Kloe was going to be? Was it... Olivert?
- The Queen's celebration day was great. Loved a final chance to check in with everyone on their day off. Anelace, Shera, and Carna on a shopping date, Murdock and Klaus in the fishing guild, Tita and Russell getting icecream, Olivier being dragged away, the Puli Fuelitzer prize.
- There's so much to like about the Alba reveal. Through the final chapter we saw some really 'big' cinematography as we reached the climax of the plot, but this scene and its fallout is the dramatic climax and it really showcases how much the game can do with its cinematography to create an intimate scene for the player. The way the cheery music that you've been listening to for half an hour just drops out as Alba approaches Joshua. Its so effective. The vignetting that sucks you in. There's a stack of character portraits that are unique to the scene which makes it all feel even more significant as Alba becomes Weissmann and Joshua confronts his past. Unique model poses too.
- Is this the first time the game uses the name Ouroboros?
- Then of course there is the rooftop scene which is one of the parts of the game that I remembered. There's not a huge amount to say about it beyond it being a genuinely powerful scene. Its just so tragic and my beautiful Bracer babies deserve to be happy ;_;

Really glad I decided to come back to it after playing CS1 and CS2. I was hesitant because I thought it'd feel just like playing an inferior CS or something, but that's absolutely not the case. Incredible game. About as beautiful as any game I think I've played. So peachy keen for SC and 3rd.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Hocus Pocus posted:

Just some general thoughts on the final portion of the game:

- Do we know who the prospective Erebonian marriage candidate to Kloe was going to be? Was it... Olivert?
- Is this the first time the game uses the name Ouroboros?

- not in fc but you will

- yes, and by extension the series obviously

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The Kloe question gets answered late in SC

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

maybe for real this time??

https://twitter.com/NISAmerica/status/983487222929285120

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Adol Christian

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Really Pants posted:

Adol Christian

lmao i didnt even notice that

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

tweets gone lol

e:

https://twitter.com/NISAmerica/status/983501135599120389/

Kild fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 10, 2018

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I don't believe this for a second.

A Sinister Rap
Oct 19, 2012
There's gameplay of the Switch version of Ys 8 out and it seems fine from what I've skimmed from it, though the actual recording quality isn't the best so you can't get into the nitty-gritty (I also don't know if the audio problems that happen a couple of times in these are from the recording or from the actual game).

Here,

here,

and here.

I haven't played 8 yet, so getting it on Switch is definitely something I'm considering, so here's hoping it turns out fine.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Judge me all you want but I'm picking Sara for my first run and you can't stop me!

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
Got my GMG key for Ys 8. I hope this game runs alright.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Oh right Ys 8 PC is finally actually out today huh

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cake Attack posted:

Oh right Ys 8 PC is finally actually out today huh

Yep!

I don't know what's going on with the music in my menu. It sounds like it's skipping.

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!
I dunno, I feel like I'm gonna have to see it to really believe it. And see that it actually runs worth a drat, at that.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
Looks like the music jittery issue is also affecting others and according to one post, it's not just the main menu's music that is affected.

Oh well, at least the soundtrack sampler is nice and the artbook pdf is cool to look at.

Ryuga Death fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 16, 2018

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The internal resolution is fixed, the resolution you select in the options menu doesn't affect anything. Just like the Dark Souls 1 PC port.

Can we get a NISA emote for Something Awful in the same vein as :dice:?

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
If XSeed and Durante were behind this, I'd probably be looking at the download progress indicator already at this point. I'll wait this one out for a while to see how well it runs for people and how quickly the team manages to fix up the various issues that turn up. The internal resolution thing is a disappointment, but given the fact it's only been 3 months since they rebooted the whole thing, I can't say I'm surprised to hear it's not quite as thorough a port as Cold Steel.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Durante was behind this. They also hired another programmer to look at it again.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Was he? After all the blog posts he wrote about Cold Steel where he mentioned what a port had to have before he felt comfortable having his name on it, I find it difficult to believe he was the one who redid the port.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
https://www.pcgamesn.com/ys-8-lacrimosa-of-dana/ys-viii-translation-pc-release-date

"and NIS are calling on PC port-fixer extraordinaire Durante to help optimize the game."

Like I said, they then hired another programmer to do the port.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Tae posted:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/ys-8-lacrimosa-of-dana/ys-viii-translation-pc-release-date

"and NIS are calling on PC port-fixer extraordinaire Durante to help optimize the game."

As I recall, I saw him making a post somewhere explaining he hadn’t really worked on the game because he’d been working on Cold Steel 2, though I can’t track that down right now. I think they just sent him an early dev copy at some point so he could take a look and chuck some advice their way rather than actually doing any development on it. Even then, that was ages ago if I’m remembering right. I doubt he had very much to do with the port at all.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Tae posted:

The date of that article is October 2017, way before the date of Januari 2018 when they decided the game was too unstable to release and handed it off to another party. There's no way that party is Durante.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Can't believe xseed sabotaged Ys 8 with Cold steel 2

Oh no that actually is like the worst trade :(

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 16, 2018

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but somehow it seems ridiculous that the port is still bad after so many delays. What were they doing all this time?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Looks like the internal resolution is fixed at 4k so at least it won't look like crap like dark souls 1 before dsfix. Does mean you need a real strong gpu.

edit: vv Oh that'd make sense if they just took the ps4 pro build and ported it to PC with the bare minimum effort.. Nisa for gently caress's sake.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 16, 2018

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

havenwaters posted:

Looks like the internal resolution is fixed at 4k so at least it won't look like crap like dark souls 1 before dsfix. Does mean you need a real strong gpu.

Not so sure about 4K - I’ve seen people reckoning it’s 1800p (which I think may be the PS4 Pro resolution). Still, obviously means some people expecting to run it at 720p or whatever are gonna run into problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Apparently it's being reported that Adol only moves in 8 directions even using a controller with the left stick. It's purely digital movement.

What the gently caress did NISA do.

EDIT: Durante isn't overly happy.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 16, 2018