Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

What’s a good bed frame (queen-cal king sized) that won’t constantly make a ton of noise? I’m a tall/muscular person that also tends to date tall/muscular people, the issue is that I live in an SF railroad flat with other units surrounding me entirely. I can hear the people next door fart in their sleep, cats scurrying around upstairs, etc. I know nothing will ever be silent, but the most quiet would be great. On top of being single and enjoying mingling, I’m also tired of waking myself up every time I shift in my sleep. Ideally, I want a platform bed that I can continue to store things under (SF, lol) but Captains bed could work. I struggle with quality sleep and would like to have a decent sex life without infuriating everyone around me, so silence is golden.

E: also, willing to spend decent money on something great but not some techie douche so no hurrrrrrrr here’s some magic bed that’s 5k please!

I use one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BWC1X3S/

and it works as advertised. I've just got a Casper Mattress directly on top of it, and it's very quiet as long as the wingnuts are properly tightened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

I use one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BWC1X3S/

and it works as advertised. I've just got a Casper Mattress directly on top of it, and it's very quiet as long as the wingnuts are properly tightened.

My ex had this, doesn’t work great on hardwood floors as you can hear it scooting around even with little rubber feet

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Mocking Bird posted:

My ex had this, doesn’t work great on hardwood floors as you can hear it scooting around even with little rubber feet

Mine is on top of a $12 rug from walmart.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

Mine is on top of a $12 rug from walmart.

Congrats on being smarter than my PhD candidate tech bro ex, a beautiful solution

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

What are some good bidet models that are relatively easy to install to an existing toilet? After spending some time overseas, I prefer that method instead of the American way of dry rear end wiping.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
You want one with heated water, which takes it from a $50 job to a $350 job.

It's not hard. You need a gizmo to split the water coming out of the wall (to the toilet tank), then a hose to feed the new bidet seat. The $350 seats will come with this stuff. Then you just plug the power cord into the wall (which is never conveniently located - the truly motivated will have one installed just for this). I'd recommend a GFCI outlet (or a GFCI attachment).

Done! Wet asscleanings.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The straight cold ones work fine. Not as pleasant as heated water, but easier to install because you have cold water supply at the toilet. You'll quickly get used to a jet of cold water hitting you square in the butt.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Tushy and luxe make a heated one for under 100 if you are close to a hot water line like a sink.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

lampey posted:

Tushy and luxe make a heated one for under 100 if you are close to a hot water line like a sink.

Seems like a perfect place for some kind of on-demand heated water. Unless you're okay with all the rear end-blasting cold in the line between you and the water heater.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

18 Character Limit posted:

on-demand heated water.
This is what the heated-water bidets do. A tiny on-demand water heater.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

My main concern is to just make sure it doesn't flood during the installing process, but that shouldn't be too difficult as long as turn the valve is turned the right way and everything is secured properly. :v:

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
If your toilet is a 1/4 turn shutoff (just like it sounds, you turn it 1/4 revolution to go from on to off) you will not have a problem with water going everywhere. If you have an older style gate shutoff (like a hose bib - crank and crank and crank, eventually hitting a stop) there is some danger that you will not be able to get it 100% of the way off and when you unhoook it you will have a steady drip coming from the valve. This is not really a problem as long as you have a towel or a bucket handy.

Flood is not really a problem as long as you have a working shutoff and the common sense to use it if you are seeing water you don't want to see.

I like to know not only where my point-of-use shutoff is (the one behind the toilet), but also where the one upstream from that is, so I can shut it off in case of unexpected dire emergency. I'd check that one first before you start your project.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Anyone have any experience dealing with an apartment neighbor that smokes pot and cigarettes? We have a 2 week old at home, and this smoking issue is really stressing us out. We have 11 months left in the lease and the lease provides no way out, but state law allows for breaking the lease due to health/safety issues.

grenada fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 22, 2018

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
If your lease says no smoking, it's possible your neighbor's lease might say no smoking. You could rat him out to the landlord.

laxbro posted:

state law allows for breaking the lease due to health/safety issues.

You would have to be in a pretty left-leaning state to have 2nd hand smoke coming from a neighboring unit be a health/safety issue.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

laxbro posted:

Anyone have any experience dealing with an apartment neighbor that smokes pot and cigarettes? We have a 2 week old at home, and this smoking issue is really stressing us out. We have 11 months left in the lease and the lease provides no way out, but state law allows for breaking the lease due to health/safety issues.

This happened to my girlfriend. Her neighbors who had been living there like 30 years chain smoked the entire time, so the central heating ducts were just vile with residue. She complained to the landlord about how it was causing her to have coughing fits and lose sleep, and was pretty quickly allowed to move into another building they owned.

She was month-to-month, though, so your mileage may vary.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Anyone have a recommendation for a carpet cleaner/shampooer for pet stains and getting urine smells out of carpet? We have an older dog with Cushings which leads to more accidents in the house and we’d like to be able to easily spot wash the carpet so it doesn’t smell like pee.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Mind_Taker posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a carpet cleaner/shampooer for pet stains and getting urine smells out of carpet? We have an older dog with Cushings which leads to more accidents in the house and we’d like to be able to easily spot wash the carpet so it doesn’t smell like pee.

I'd invest in a steam cleaner. They range from $30 to $200, depending on what features you want.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

deadly_pudding posted:

I'd invest in a steam cleaner. They range from $30 to $200, depending on what features you want.

You can also rent one if you'd like to try before you buy. Hardware stores and groceries will rent you one for a day so you can see if it resolves it.
In the meantime, pick up some Nature's Miracle or other urine-specific cleaner from a pet store. Supposedly if your dog smells old urine it sees that place as an "ok" place to pee again so eliminating the odor as soon as possible is super important.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
I use Out! Orange Oxy pet stain and odor remover and I've had it work a few miracles.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Most consumer-grade carpet cleaners just spray tepid water on a stain and then wet-vac it back out. If you are spot cleaning I'd prefer hot-hot-hot water with a cleaning solution in it (in a spray bottle, or frankly, out of a cup), and a wet/dry vac.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
Is there a better way to search apartments than craigslist these days? Everything in my target city seems to redirect me to a scam site called Roomster.

KoB
May 1, 2009
It depends on the area.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Yak Shaves Dot Com posted:

Is there a better way to search apartments than craigslist these days? Everything in my target city seems to redirect me to a scam site called Roomster.

I had been searching listings somewhere and a question popped up about how I heard about some listing I've forgotten. But I did grab it figuring that the sites were major enough to warrant some developer putting together a list.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I'm still finding Craigslist is king. Some use Zillow and PadMapper.

ickna
May 19, 2004

I used a combination of PadMapper and apartments.com recently to scope out areas, but ultimately I ended up just flying around on google maps and clicking on the complexes pin to read reviews and visit their websites. Also nice to check out the street view of the area so you can nope out of some obvious duds without having to do a drive by.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Rather than meeting up at a property to tour it with me, a realtor is just asking me to text them a picture of my driver's license and they will reply with a code that unlocks the front door. Is this a scam or just common practice for a realtor who lives out of town like they claim to be?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Roumba posted:

Rather than meeting up at a property to tour it with me, a realtor is just asking me to text them a picture of my driver's license and they will reply with a code that unlocks the front door. Is this a scam or just common practice for a realtor who lives out of town like they claim to be?
Ask them to text you a picture of their business card, first. Then Google whoever the realtor is, and contact their number that you find on their website (not what's on the business card).

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Ask a few questions about if you like the place, what the application / move-in process is. If they come to town to rent it to you , it's not so scary. If you wire them the money and they mail you the keys, that doesn't sound too good.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Dear Goons,

I was finally moving out of the Floodhaus this weekend.

Can you guess how that turned out?

Spoiler: Apparently, you can have a "Thousand-Year Flood" a mere two years after the last one.

Another car was swept into mine, and the bumper is trashed and Check Engine light is on, but it runs fine, so I drove it home.

Apartment is turbo-hosed.

View from the road:

The entrance (that standing water is a 15ft deep sinkhole):

Interior:

But, my new landlord called to check and see if I was ok, since he saw the flood on the news.

Toshimo fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 28, 2018

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I hope you upgraded your renters insurance after last time, unluckiest goon in the world

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Mocking Bird posted:

I hope you upgraded your renters insurance after last time, unluckiest goon in the world

April 23rd: Drunk driver hits my parked car out front and dies. Car is totaled.
May 8th: Buy brand new car.
May 24th: Police wake me up. A new drunk driver has hit and run my new car.
May 27th: Flood #2.

My insurance company was very confused about me calling in a new claim when I hadn't even made it into the body shop for last week's claim.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Toshimo posted:

April 23rd: Drunk driver hits my parked car out front and dies. Car is totaled.
May 8th: Buy brand new car.
May 24th: Police wake me up. A new drunk driver has hit and run my new car.
May 27th: Flood #2.

My insurance company was very confused about me calling in a new claim when I hadn't even made it into the body shop for last week's claim.

:stare:

Guess your vehicles are Final Destination or someshit for drunks...

Question for thread: I finally have an apartment with hardwood* floors! (* it’s definitely some kind of laminate and not remotely wood-like.) Got a Roomba for vacuuming duties but now that I have a lot of hard surface to mop up, I feel like there must be better than my bucket and regular tangle mop (and I don’t really want to keep pouring the dirty bucket water into my toilet or bathtub).

I feel like something like a Swiffer WaterJet is a decent choice? I resign myself to having to purchase consumable refills that probably aren’t the best for the environment.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

movax posted:

:stare:

Guess your vehicles are Final Destination or someshit for drunks...

Question for thread: I finally have an apartment with hardwood* floors! (* it’s definitely some kind of laminate and not remotely wood-like.) Got a Roomba for vacuuming duties but now that I have a lot of hard surface to mop up, I feel like there must be better than my bucket and regular tangle mop (and I don’t really want to keep pouring the dirty bucket water into my toilet or bathtub).

I feel like something like a Swiffer WaterJet is a decent choice? I resign myself to having to purchase consumable refills that probably aren’t the best for the environment.

All Swiffers are kind of bullshit, honestly. The "wet" varieties don't replace wet mopping, just as the "dry" varieties won't replace vacuuming. They work, somewhat, for minor messes but if you have a dirty floor they will only make it cleanER rather than clean. You can Swiffer and Swiffer and eventually things will get gross enough that you will need to actually mop. This, combined with the high cost of their consumables, is the reason I've given up on them.

The absolute best solution (in terms of effectiveness, cost, and environmental impact) is cleaning on your hands and knees with a giant sponge and bucket. However it is the worst in terms of time and effort.

Second to that is mopping with any kind of standard mop, like your tangle mop. I prefer a flat sponge mop myself, as they don't leave as much moisture on the floor, so you don't have to wait forever for things to dry. As for cleaning solution, my usual go-to is a few squirts of dish soap in a bucket of water. There are hardwood specific cleaners but if you have laminate, it's not really relevant. I have also tried "squirt-and-go" cleansers where you can just squirt some and then mop without having to rinse or have water at all. I keep these around for minor in-between cleanings.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Ooh

I have an opinion about Swiffers

I like the dry ones as a follow-up to vacuuming my hard surfaces. They pick up the fine particles a vacuum tends to just move around. Two thumbs up.

I hate their wet products. All of them.

The wet jet leaves a film that makes the floors ever so sticky when dry. Which traps dirt onto the floor. Which makes you use the wet jet more.

The "new" wet pads don't seem to do this but they have their own problems. They drip all over the place as you mount them onto the swiffer. Then they dry out too quickly when you're actually cleaning. I can barely "mop" my 10x14 kitchen with one pad.

Two thumbs and two big toes down.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

vonnegutt posted:

The absolute best solution (in terms of effectiveness, cost, and environmental impact) is cleaning on your hands and knees with a giant sponge and bucket. However it is the worst in terms of time and effort.
First, this is so true it deserves to be quoted.

Second, this is doubly true in a 500sf 1br apartment that would take 15 minutes to mop. In a 3,000 sf house, you should be looking for alternatives. In an apartment... just mop.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Instead of the swiffer dry mop, you can also just grab a bunch of microfiber towels off Amazon. Same effectiveness, if not more, and washable.

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012
I can't Google this because I have no idea how to phrase the question, so I'm sorry for what's probably a really easy solution to get.

Why is there only a tiny amount of hot water coming out of my apartment's shower compared to the cold water? Like, whenever I turn both dials to full blast, it's maybe 10% hot and 90% cold coming out, which may or may not contribute to why my water pressure in there is more akin to being pissed on than bathing. Full disclosure, the hot water everywhere else runs at full pressure and is freakishly hot (shower's hot dial is just as hot too.) I like that though, so I'm not inclined to change the hot water temperature at all.

I figure it was some cost-saving bullshit done by my slumlord.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MNSNTZR posted:

I can't Google this because I have no idea how to phrase the question, so I'm sorry for what's probably a really easy solution to get.

Why is there only a tiny amount of hot water coming out of my apartment's shower compared to the cold water? Like, whenever I turn both dials to full blast, it's maybe 10% hot and 90% cold coming out, which may or may not contribute to why my water pressure in there is more akin to being pissed on than bathing. Full disclosure, the hot water everywhere else runs at full pressure and is freakishly hot (shower's hot dial is just as hot too.) I like that though, so I'm not inclined to change the hot water temperature at all.

I figure it was some cost-saving bullshit done by my slumlord.

Might just have a bad stem on the hot water side, or it's got one of those pressure balancing valves that's gone wonky. Either way, you maintenance man should look at it and fix it.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
++, bad valve, not self-fixable, call maintenance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Furnishing questions - does anyone know where to find a (way) cheaper version of a console that looks like this - Design Within Reach is such a bullshit name

http://www.dwr.com/storage-media-storage/line-media-console-70/1021.html?lang=en_US#lang=en_US&start=13