Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is Trigger's best previous anime
Kill La Kill
When Supernatural Battles become commenplace
Kiznaiver
Little Witch Academia
Gurren Lagann*
Panty and Stocking*
Space Patrol Luluculo
Goku
View Results

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Normally I hate to play the identity politics game but that's an opinion coming from a lesbian

edit: and i think its relevant in that i dont exactly trust your opinions on sexuality, depictions of it, or how it affects people, at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I think it isnt farfetched to think LGBT representation in anime isnt the best, and that has little to do with opinions on sexual assault, something I dont take very lightly.

Either way it's obvious you want to derail this thread so I'll just get out now.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Zeruel posted:

She's expressed the idea this is her punishment. I hope she'll try and repent or something in order to feel herself worthy to see her darling again when it matters most.

:smith:

Probably some Suicide by Klaxsaur kinda deal. I'm honestly excited to see how this plays out, because Hiro alone pulling her back from the edge does kind of paint a really bad light over her actions which were hosed up and kind of too easily forgives them. It kind of needs to be a joint effort between Hiro and the rest of the squad if anyone is going to learn their lesson, which probably isn't going to happen with Ichigo staying their leader so I worry it's gonna be the first thing.

This of course is barring some big setting reveal that forces everyone back together/choosing sides which I feel we might be due given how much they've built up the battle we're going into next ep.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kay bye

Anyway, yeah, I am really intested in what the fallout from this episode is going to be. The most obvious situation is 'the emotional fuckups put them in physical jeopardy,' but just how bad the crisis gets is pretty up in the air. A character actually dying wouldn't be completely out of the question but it'd feel a little blunt considering how much emotional stuff they've set up, I don't think we really need more stakes/a reminder that these things have consequences considering how bad things have already gotten.

In terms of 02 reintegrating with the squad, I really do hope her and Ichigo reach some kind of reconciliation at some point in all of this, since it'd honestly be a more satisfying 'these characters have become better people' thing than anything Hiro focused. Of course that'd depend a lot on where they take their development.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

kay bye

Anyway, yeah, I am really intested in what the fallout from this episode is going to be. The most obvious situation is 'the emotional fuckups put them in physical jeopardy,' but just how bad the crisis gets is pretty up in the air. A character actually dying wouldn't be completely out of the question but it'd feel a little blunt considering how much emotional stuff they've set up, I don't think we really need more stakes/a reminder that these things have consequences considering how bad things have already gotten.

I'm a little afraid of a possible Goro death to 'snap Ichigo back to her senses'. Maybe it's my general distrust of anime writers but that feels very possible given how they've set up his feelings and her desperation in chasing of Hiro at the end of the newest episode.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I'm a little afraid of a possible Goro death to 'snap Ichigo back to her senses'. Maybe it's my general distrust of anime writers but that feels very possible given how they've set up his feelings and her desperation in chasing of Hiro at the end of the newest episode.

Goro is way too much of a good guy to live till the end in this crapsack world

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

At the very least, we know 02 has been feeling bad about things even before they went to total poo poo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Goro's lines in the last episode were a little death flaggy, yeah. And he's got strong ties to both Ichigo and Hiro. If anyone is going to die, it's probably him.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Endorph posted:

Goro's lines in the last episode were a little death flaggy, yeah. And he's got strong ties to both Ichigo and Hiro. If anyone is going to die, it's probably him.

goros had a giant death flag on him since the start of the show to me

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Iretep posted:

Too nice to live

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

He's literally too pure for this world, but Ichigo fits right in.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Iretep posted:

i didnt really think he was going to die at the start and i still kind of dont but following the emotional lowpoint with a physical lowpoint would make a lot of sense in terms of narrative progression. it's still entirely possible that they'll just put the characters in jeopardy without anyone dying, or just have a character get injured in some way instead of just killed, but still, it's definitely not out of the question.

killing off one of the squad would also be an opportunity to introduce a replacement who would have to be reintegrated with the group, which'd be a chance to reflect on how far from how they 'should be' the cast have gotten, and the new character'd have the obvious character arc of feeling like a replacement in a dynamic that already exists, which you could do some interesting things with.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I'm still of the long held opinion that Goro dies and Ichigo (possibly post-crippling from trying to FranXX with Hiro?) will end up paired with smug blonde rear end in a top hat vs Hiro/02

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Goro x Kokoro imho; both characters showed shadows of doubt over what went down due to being slightly more mature emotionally than the rest, this also ties up both storylines without death flagging.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

wheres the fanart of breadloaf in pistil gear with Futoshi piloting? C'mon, Internet!

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

AnacondaHL posted:

wheres the fanart of breadloaf in pistil gear with Futoshi piloting? C'mon, Internet!

You're loving it up. Clearly Futoshi is the receiving partner.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

Goro x Kokoro imho; both characters showed shadows of doubt over what went down due to being slightly more mature emotionally than the rest, this also ties up both storylines without death flagging.

Not Goro x Ikuno for the mutual unrequited love?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Tekne posted:

He's literally too pure for this world, but Ichigo fits right in.

Lol at the I Remember Goro there. Death confirmed

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Goro is going to die, after facing the world Champion Jose Mendoza! long after the series is finished.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Conot posted:

I'm still of the long held opinion that Goro dies and Ichigo (possibly post-crippling from trying to FranXX with Hiro?) will end up paired with smug blonde rear end in a top hat vs Hiro/02

This makes sense if they want to make Ichigo a tragic antagonist. Goro dying clips her wings as the show likes to talk about and Hiro' d get back with 02. And 9 boy seems to enjoy loving with her and wants 02 back.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
The only thing worse than a Hiro/02 pairing is a Hiro/Ichigo one. That aside, for all the hate ichigo got, shes a much more interesting character than 02.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Endorph posted:

i didnt really think he was going to die at the start and i still kind of dont but following the emotional lowpoint with a physical lowpoint would make a lot of sense in terms of narrative progression. it's still entirely possible that they'll just put the characters in jeopardy without anyone dying, or just have a character get injured in some way instead of just killed, but still, it's definitely not out of the question.

killing off one of the squad would also be an opportunity to introduce a replacement who would have to be reintegrated with the group, which'd be a chance to reflect on how far from how they 'should be' the cast have gotten, and the new character'd have the obvious character arc of feeling like a replacement in a dynamic that already exists, which you could do some interesting things with.

Killing off or permanently injuring one or more of the squad would also shock the poo poo out of everyone left alive/intact and force them to reexamine their attitudes and priorities in the biggest possible way, which could create impetus for characters to change in some way for better or for worse. I don't see Ichigo and 02 ever having a reason to reconcile with things as they are now, for example.

They've spent a long time flirting with the idea that they're all essentially expendable but never actually internalizing it because they've been able to squirm out of every life-or-death scenario so far. Now they're going into the biggest battle in the series thus far with their biggest source of combat power gone and the entire squad emotionally compromised to varying degrees when it has been extremely well established that Franxxes only work well if their pilots aren't emotionally messed up. If this whole disaster happening on the eve of the Grand Crevasse isn't a setup for some serious loss I don't know what would be. Basically, I don't think they spent time focusing on Miku finding that picture of their dead predecessors and freaking out about it for no reason.

Goro is the obvious candidate for Bad Things because he's largely been portrayed as a tragic, nigh flawless character who the audience is meant to feel sorry for and his death would also kick Ichigo in the pants extremely hard in one way or another, but I think there's still enough narrative room with his position in the weird love trapezoid that I don't think he's a guaranteed death flag, either.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 16, 2018

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I really hope Hiro finally does something proactive after all of this. Like sneaking or getting snuck into o or onto a FranXX during the operation and jumping into Strelizia to apologize/confront/reunite with Zero Two.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Xelkelvos posted:

I really hope Hiro finally does something proactive after all of this. Like sneaking or getting snuck into o or onto a FranXX during the operation and jumping into Strelizia to apologize/confront/reunite with Zero Two.

He tried! He made a goddamn cartoon bedsheet rope to escape his hospital room to try to go see 02.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I just want Goro to be happy.:unsmith:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

he also tried to leave both his hospital bed and the dorms but was stopped by Ichigo & co. though you can tell he's trying to balance his wants with what he feels he should do as a leader and team member. he's probably the one most tied up by the writing of this episode, which relies on him "failing" the few times he does take action.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

DARLING in the FRANXX - a deceiving heart is your brando

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Time for some wild guessing!

Hiro's not gonna franxx around next episode, he's at a critical level already. But I bet he's gonna try and pull SOMETING. So Ichigo sets out with Goro again, 02 gets some redshirt. poo poo goes REAL bad for Ichigo, because Goro nopes out for whatever reason - I don't think he's gonna die just then, just unable to pilot anymore. And 02 kills her redshirt in record time. Maybe because smarmy blond guy eggs her on, maybe just like that. So in the end, both are stuck on the frontlines without a usable partner. Maybe even close to each other. That could push Ichigo over the edge, and we finally get that sweet, sweet berserker mode foreshadowed for all Franxx since forever. Two berserk franxx in close proximity. Whose sole pilots both hate each other and are probably quite nuts at this point.

LITERAL CAT FIGHT, LITERAL CAT FIGHT! :supaburn:

And then I guess Hiro somehow shows up, SOMEHOW stops them from fighting, SOMEHOW resolves the immediate threat of klaxosaur klaxxing around (or gently caress it, MITSURU TIME) and then tells the girls they both suck for different reasons, with possible reconciliation depending on who learned fuckin anything out of this whole swamp of misery

Followed by smarmy blonde guy loving things up and, I dunno, someone dead

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Aurora posted:

DARLING in the FRANXX - a deceiving heart is your brando

Darling in The FranXX - you thought it was Trigger, but it was me, A1 Pictures!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
People need to take lessons from the anime fandom of the late 90s and channel all this anger into writing fanfics where the characters totally get what you think they deserve, then post those fics to their GeoCities pages where no one will ever read them.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Eela6 posted:

Darling in The FranXX - you thought it was Trigger, but it was me, A1 Pictures CloverWorks!

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

Paracelsus posted:

People need to take lessons from the anime fandom of the late 90s and channel all this anger into writing fanfics where the characters totally get what you think they deserve, then post those fics to their GeoCities pages where no one will ever read them.

Hey, some people read them.

... I've said too much.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
You know what would be a hoot?

A repeat of the beach episode Klaxxo. Only this time instead of dissolving the girls clothes it dissolves the guy's clothes.
And their skin. And their minds.

Stampede modes for everyone!

And then APE Command's all like 'this is the worst time, if they get in your way just kill them.'

Double whammy!

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Paracelsus posted:

That defeats the purpose of screaming for attention on the internet though.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
Turning into a klaxxosaur during the battle will make him go berserk, but then somehow it will turn into a power up for Hiro because anime.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

lobster22221 posted:

Turning into a klaxxosaur during the battle will make him go berserk, but then somehow it will turn into a power up for Hiro because anime.

I've always wondered what a boy Onii would do. Would they just like turn the pistol into paste if they go to hard or what? Scream real loud, charge up a yellow cell burst and make the robot go all weird energy girl?

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Crabtree posted:

I've always wondered what a boy Onii would do. Would they just like turn the pistol into paste if they go to hard or what? Scream real loud, charge up a yellow cell burst and make the robot go all weird energy girl?

Seriously, they've been teasing so much stuff. The character drama isn't bad, but I want more Evangelion and less post-apocolyptic 90210.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i would think a domineering stamen could control the Franxx in a way that places excessive strain on the pistil and could put a 3-ride timer on them kinda like 02. it definitely would be interesting to see Hiro go DINOSIZE and what impact that would have on Ichigo, if they even get a chance to pilot and it works this time.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Will Hirosaur have 1 horn or 2?

I hope they have more episodes like 14 to spur the fans' creative output.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

why is he eating cookies with a spoon

• Locked thread