Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

We're in the royal family's castle. It's too late to go back on it. We're there and what little secrecy we had is going to be blown because everyone's going to tell stories of these idiot small people who came in and told a wild pack of lies. I legit don't see a solution to this that doesn't sell out our no-filter habitually lying liability.

What are your players like, out of curiosity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Just do the ole beg for forgiveness, and the DM who bought the book and wants to run the campaign will tell you that the giants will pardon you if you do them the favor of running whatever dungeon is next in the module. Embrace that your cleric has found out that his party is lying assholes. Maybe he is traveling with them now to better them, or keep them out of trouble. Congrats, you are the party dad now. Frown disapprovingly when you notice their sleight-of-hand, and even when you catch them in a lie, say "well if that's what you thought the best thing to do was... i believe you".

E: I'm sorry that I can't help you in the fight, though! There's some cool 5e cleric guides I can point you too if you just want general advice about good spells vs. bad spells, though.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 16, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Firstborn posted:

The differences between Int and Wis and Str and Con are cool and make sense, though. Just "balance" the ability scores by making more gnarly awful stuff requires Saves that are tied to less popular scores. It's pretty inherent that every class has 1 save tied to a bunch of poo poo*, and another not so much. It kind of works in that way, I guess, if we're talking 5E?
I also invite players to lawyer skills. With some creativity, you can substitute different skills... obviously you can't like punch a book so hard you investigate it, but if the player was confident enough he could do it, i'll entertain the idea. This is another exaggeration, please don't make fun of me.

*E: One save that is tested very often and used in a lot of spells and affects, and another that is called upon less.
This is the absolute worst way to balance a thing. You make a thing good by making people want to have it, not by punishing people for not taking it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nehru the Damaja posted:

We're in the royal family's castle. It's too late to go back on it. We're there and what little secrecy we had is going to be blown because everyone's going to tell stories of these idiot small people who came in and told a wild pack of lies. I legit don't see a solution to this that doesn't sell out our no-filter habitually lying liability.
When you get found out, say "gently caress you guys, I'm sick of your bullshit. I'm turning state's witness".

Say it in character.

Follow through.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Splicer posted:

When you get found out, say "gently caress you guys, I'm sick of your bullshit. I'm turning state's witness".

Say it in character.

Follow through.

That's pretty much my plan.

Pollyanna posted:

What are your players like, out of curiosity?

I think there's three of us interested in having some more storytelling and character development and not making everything a brawl, one I don't really have a read on as a person but his character is very much a comical fuckup -- he's the one doing most of the talking us into a hole -- and two who are lower-engagement players who just show up for something to do. The latter two don't necessarily lean toward "let's gently caress everything up" but I think given the choice they pick that because big things happen. One of those two was the guy who said "gently caress it I'm bored" and nearly got us killed earlier.

edit: I think the other two are kind of looking to jump ship and if they did, I would follow them. I don't mind sticking around this group but I would absolutely trade it for one where there's some more homogeneity about player expectations.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 16, 2018

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Xae posted:

1. Fewer Spells per Caster
Goal - 5 spells per level per Class. There should be a couple of spells per level that the base class gets and a couple more as a result of the subclass.

2. Fix the Charisma Caster Clusterfuck
Move Warlocks to Int, maybe Sorcerers to Wisdom?

3. Balance pass on classes and Subclasses

4. Fix the multi-classing system. Stop designing half assed classes for fear that someone can multi-class and "break things". Restrict multi-classing and stop pretending it is optional but designing everything around it.

I'd say move either Warlock or Sorcerer to Int, which would give each of the casting stats two main casters:
Int: Wizard, Warlock
Wis: Cleric, Druid
Cha: Sorcerer, Bard (5e Bard practically has the earmarks of a full caster)

Firstborn posted:

Compare Champion to the other fighter subclasses. If your game is really narrative, and you really get to shape and control what you do in combat beyond "I use hit monster, then move, then use hit monster power", you could find it very not boring. The caveat of everything being so modular and lame rules having the simple out of "talk to your DM" makes everything kind of moot. Arguing RAW/RAI is fun and I like to read the minutiae, but some people post as if they playing Baldur's Gate or something, and their DM is some inflexible robot who never lets cool things happen (my apologies if this is your case).

I guess, this boils back down to... let your Martial guys do cool things.

Also, the idea that the martial classes must be 100% mundane needs to die in a fire. Let the high-level fighter swim up waterfalls, suplex giants, and other Hercules-level poo poo. If we have quadratic wizards, let there be quadratic fighters too.

But I guess there's a niche for a mechanically-simple fighter that does nothing but "I hit the guy". The people who play these kinds of characters are probably the same ones who spend the whole game on their phones not paying attention.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nehru the Damaja posted:

That's pretty much my plan.

I think there's three of us interested in having some more storytelling and character development and not making everything a brawl, one I don't really have a read on as a person but his character is very much a comical fuckup -- he's the one doing most of the talking us into a hole -- and two who are lower-engagement players who just show up for something to do. The latter two don't necessarily lean toward "let's gently caress everything up" but I think given the choice they pick that because big things happen. One of those two was the guy who said "gently caress it I'm bored" and nearly got us killed earlier.

edit: I think the other two are kind of looking to jump ship and if they did, I would follow them. I don't mind sticking around this group but I would absolutely trade it for one where there's some more homogeneity about player expectations.

Splicer posted:

6 PCs is too many to be honest, especially if they're new. People get bored and start doing things like playing on their phones or memeing the chat saying "gently caress it I'm bored" and nearly getting everyone killed because it takes forever for the spotlight to return. You need to cull the group down to about four PCs or pull in another person and split into two groups of three+GM.

Easier said than done I know but honestly that's your core issue.

Mr. Tambo
Feb 7, 2015
Honestly, the way to fix the caster/martial divide in a hypothetical future D&D is to just not have it.

My preference is that Wizards aren't PCs. They're either quest-givers/patrons or high-level villains. If you want to be a guy who can shoot bolts of fire or occasionally turn invisible you get to be a Warlock, who gets a limited set of magic powers but is otherwise on the level of the rest of the classes. Wizards hang out in towers and try and cross breed animals into horrible monsters and poo poo.

Same thing with Druid and Cleric, to be honest. The guy who dons armor and goes out to spread the word of god is the Paladin. The Ranger is the survivalist nature guy who can talk to squirrels and maybe has a bear bff. Druids hang out in groves and Clerics/Priests hang out in temples.

Every class would get their own set of cool powers, and the iconic holy poo poo D&D magic would be limited to scrolls and potions, either found as treasure or given as boons by quest-givers (everyone would get to use scrolls). Trying to find a creative use for your one Web scroll is more interesting than that loving wizard that casts Web every loving encounter.

I would also want to design the combat system from the ground up that ensures that as many combat styles as possible are viable and have their set of cool techniques and abilities. gently caress verisimilitude, btw.

Also, also, definitely include a simpler, faster alternate combat system so that we aren't spending 45 minutes to an hour killing a random squad of goblins. Save the cool tactical fights for the Dragons and Beholders and Mummy lords and poo poo.

Anyway, that's what I came up with in the shower this morning.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

You aren't taking wizards out as a class and I won't play if you do

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
what if we draw a line through the word "warlock" on your character sheet with a sharpie and then wrote in "wizard" because it doesn't actually matter what the class is called.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Why not just dramatically refocus wizard to battlefield control and narrative effects so damage is more properly the domain of martials and Warlock

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
IMO saying "This is the class for narrative effect" as a design decision is certainly bold but also the opposite of solving the problem.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Why not just dramatically refocus wizard to battlefield control and narrative effects so damage is more properly the domain of martials and Warlock

Wizard = Buffs and Utility
Sorcerer = Blaster
Warlock = Illusions and Mindfuck

If there was one bit of legacy that really needed to be poo poo canned it is the schools of magic they have.

Mr. Tambo
Feb 7, 2015
Yeah, the whole point is that there isn't class whose shtick is "solves problems with spells." Take a chunk of that spell chapter space and use it to give each class some tricks that operate on that level.

Like, actually take seriously the idea that the game operates on the co-equal pillars of combat, exploration, and talking at npcs and then make each class able to participate meaningfully in all 3. It would be a good start to devote, say, a third of your rules space to each pillar.

Go ahead and call it Magic-User instead of Warlock, that feels like D&D to me.

Mr. Tambo fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 16, 2018

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Why isn't the Sorcerer the muscle wizard? Their whole fluff is that their powers are inborn, not the result of study or bargains. Their magic should be more keyed of Con (or if we do away with Con, Str.)

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Mr. Tambo posted:

Yeah, the whole point is that there isn't class whose shtick is "solves problems with spells." Take a chunk of that spell chapter space and use it to give each class some tricks that operate on that level.

Like, actually take seriously the idea that the game operates on the co-equal pillars of combat, exploration, and talking at npcs and then make each class able to participate meaningfully in all 3. It would be a good start to devote, say, a third of your rules space to each pillar.

Go ahead and call it Magic-User instead of Warlock, that feels like D&D to me.

Or just, like. Magician. Bard, Sorceror, Magician. Your three Arcane Archetypes.

Mr. Tambo
Feb 7, 2015

Mr. Maltose posted:

Or just, like. Magician. Bard, Sorceror, Magician. Your three Arcane Archetypes.

Sure. Especially if Sorceror is now the "magic flows through my veins so now I'm hella swole and can breath fire occasionally" guy and not just another minor variation on "one of a subset of classes who gets to interact fully with spells, which are the building blocks of everything in the system that matters."

I'd really like to collapse fighter and rogue into one class, the Adventurer, who is the one who manages to be badass despite not having any supernatural powers. Basically, the Conan (barbarian really doesn't need to be a class. It's a background).

Mr. Tambo fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 16, 2018

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I think whoever it was upthread who suggested splitting it is right - you're always going to struggle to do 'fantasy vietnam' and 'epic heroes' with the same system. First you need to define what you want the game to do before you can begin to worry about the rules.

Whatever you picked, my first move would be to put everyone on the same level - if you've got mages who can warp reality, then you've got to have mythic other classes - theives so cunning they can steal concepts, warriors who can punch a path through a mountain, etc. If you insist on 'realistic' warriors, then your mages should be on a much lower power level - only having spells that deal damage, or mess with people's beliefs. Clerics who can whip a mob into a frenzy, that sort of thing.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
The Dragon sorcerer seems to be halfway there in being a tanky caster, maybe they could go all in on the concept.

Maybe the concepts of the battlemaster and monk could be combined to make a Martial Technique list to complement the spell list? The monk could fit in as a "martial caster" type who focuses on techniques(including the over-the-top supernatural stuff that would be at home in DBZ), while the fighter and rogue specialize in the less flashy/more sneaky techniques. Sort of how the Swordsage and Warblade functioned in the Book of Nine Swords supplement for 3E.

So for fighter archetypes, you have the arcane Eldritch Knight, the ki/tech-based Battlemaster, and the Champion for the "hit guy with sword" guys.

To avoid the 4e complaints that martial and arcane powers felt the same, maybe the techniques are more short rest-based, while spells need long rests.

Serf
May 5, 2011

dividing up the broad powers ascribed to wizards into distinct categories and limiting access to them... where have i heard this before

the superior design of Shadow of the Demon Lord haunts this thread

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I'm gonna go totally off the rails and run like, basic dnd modules in sotdl once my 5e campaign is up.

Mr. Tambo
Feb 7, 2015
Fantasy Vietnam only the pcs are the A-Team is about where I'm at.

Mr. Tambo
Feb 7, 2015
SotDL is rad but after running through a full 1-10 campaign it clearly has a caster/ martial divide. Anyone can take some spell casting but even the Priest fell pretty far behind our magician in capabilities.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Serf posted:

dividing up the broad powers ascribed to wizards into distinct categories and limiting access to them... where have i heard this before

Now imagine a version of the game where I don’t have to explain away all the terrible edgy poo poo.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

Now imagine a version of the game where I don’t have to explain away all the terrible edgy poo poo.

i'll whip you up a normie hack no prob

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Mr. Maltose posted:

It tries so hard for Grim Dark, but it hits Grim Derp more often than not.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Serf posted:

i'll whip you up a normie hack no prob
For reals pass me that if you do. It's my biggest hurdle to dragging people into it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Splicer posted:

For reals pass me that if you do. It's my biggest hurdle to dragging people into it.

the only big obstacle is all the tables. i didn't think people would like 'em but they do, so i've been chipping away at them for a while. i finished my gonzo hack of the game a while back and it took a ton of effort

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Mr. Tambo posted:

SotDL is rad but after running through a full 1-10 campaign it clearly has a caster/ martial divide. Anyone can take some spell casting but even the Priest fell pretty far behind our magician in capabilities.
There's a lot I like about the SotDL magic system. The tradition mechanic encourages sticking to a few traditions, so characters will end up pretty flavorfully specialized within a few traditions, generalists aside. I really like that each spell has its own pool of casts per day. No reason to worry about wasting a precious 3rd level slot on spell X instead of saving it for spell Y when they have entirely disjoint sets of slots. I can imagine that the slot mechanic funnels back into the divide, though, as boosting power as you learn more spells is almost quadratic growth.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Darwinism posted:

Burn it to the ground. It's a painful move that should have already happened by now, but the system needs to be designed from the ground up by no one that has ever touched D&D before because chasing purestrain D&D is an idiotic and unsustainable move. Focus on making a good, engaging game and try your best to ride the livestream trend to counteract the groggy hissy fits.
This is really dumb. If you make the vast amount of good material from before unusable a bunch of people will never look at MTG DnD the book collecting game again.

Even now DnD is doing fine. The complaints in this thread are not that representative of whether people are buying and playing it and having fun in the real world.

glitchwraith posted:

Why isn't the Sorcerer the muscle wizard? Their whole fluff is that their powers are inborn, not the result of study or bargains. Their magic should be more keyed of Con (or if we do away with Con, Str.)
Thats a good argument for keeping them separate. Sorcerer should be Con, since they are burning their own energy for spells. Having that much "life energy" doesnet mean they can military press a horse.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Dameius posted:

With the idea that it was an imported legacy system that your company paid lots of money for so by god drat we are going to use it and you need to just make this poo poo work...

DnD 6e, you are given free hand to do the needful so long as it'll print money (in ttrpg terns) and keep the brand in good reputation, which means it has that DnD feel to it, which seems to be both unqualifiable and yet a moving goalpost.

What would you guys want to axe immediately and/or who would you want to see designing it, if you just have a favorite dev/dev team?

Merge down to 3 stats. Might, Cunning, and Will. 2 pages of rules explaining how to convert from/to the original 6 stats (M=S/Co, C=I/D, W=W/Ch). Call it "advanced" rules.

4 Classes total. Warrior, Rogue, Wizard, Mystic. Other classes shifted to archetypes of those. Archetypes from 1st level. Basically the way 2nd ed is layed out, but applied to mechanics.

Replace the spell list with a "spells and abilities" section. 3 spell/abilities per 2 levels for classes. Same for archetypes. Stagger the two so there's no dead levels.

Multiclassing to be thrown in the bin and re-done from scratch. Start with something like this: Each archetype will list one other class as its multiclass counterpart. On level up, you gain your archetype stuff and can select spell/abilities from your multiclass as well as your main class.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I wonder how many classes can be formed by just doing major/minor of those three abilities

pre:

Primary
                Might       Cunning        Will
Might         Barbarian     Ranger        Cleric  
Cunning       Fighter       Rogue         Warlock
Will          Paladin       Bard          Wizard          
Monk and druid don't really fit and some are iffy but yeah. (Monk is probably Might/will, druid Will/will.)

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I wonder how many classes can be formed by just doing major/minor of those three abilities

pre:

Primary
Monk and druid don't really fit and some are iffy but yeah. (Monk is probably Might/will, druid Will/will.)

("Tellsword" is easily the best one)

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

pre:

Primary

Right? It's a little simple maybe, but it plays on the idea that D&D is really only built on top of itself.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 16, 2018

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

LGD posted:

("Tellsword" is easily the best one)

That game was one I was looking forward to until I saw that graph.

One day video games are going to realize that having a handful of well designed, well balanced options beats throwing out a billion options all but 5 of which are poo poo.

AlphaDog posted:

Multiclassing to be thrown in the bin and re-done from scratch. Start with something like this: Each archetype will list one other class as its multiclass counterpart. On level up, you gain your archetype stuff and can select spell/abilities from your multiclass as well as your main class.

Just merge 2e and 3e multi-classing.

You declare it at level 1. You become a 1 Fighter / 0 Mage.

You have to keep the levels with in 1 of each other. Except maybe letting people go 11/9 for the mini-capstones. Or just move the capstones to 10 because putting them all at 11 was an obvious gently caress you to multiclassing anyway.

Xae fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 16, 2018

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Those words all sound cool, I guess.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

They were definitely running a little light there when Fighter/Summoner was a "Wild Blade."

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

pre:

Primary

It might work better if you do a focus/power source map.

pre:

Martial         Divine          Arcane          Primal
Might             Fighter         Paladin         Sorcerer        Barbarian
Cunning           Rogue           Warlock         Bard            Ranger
Will              Monk            Cleric          Wizard          Druid         
Warlock is traditionally arcane rather than divine, but could be mapped to divine since (like the Cleric or Paladin) he gets his powers from an outside force. It's just that his typical source is a bit more... dubious than the gods that the Cleric and Paladin follow.

This gives me an idea for a "divine source" or "iconoclast" Warlock that draws power from the gods without being beholden to them.

Wyvernil fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 16, 2018

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Serf posted:

I will investigate this thing you speak of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Multiclassing serves a few different purposes

* adding flexibility to the character design process (dip this class and that class to make my perfect wizard)
* creating new options that don't exist as classes already (i want to be a fighter/wizard but that's not a class)
* taking your character in a different direction later on during play (i'm done being a warrior after 6 levels, now i'm a wizard)

I feel like each of these should be handled specifically

#1 is kind of what archetypes and feats are already for, and is what makes balance so impossible - I'd kill it myself in a class-based game and reserve it for full-build-point games.
#2 I feel like the better answer is 'write a class for fighter/wizard' instead - the problem is that doing this isn't super compatible with #1, because every new class you write is more combinatorial madness. But if you remove #1 then #2 becomes good - a lot of 4e's neat classes were answering this problem, and there's a lot of scope for designing a class to do exactly what you want. Why try and wedge druid/paladin awkwardly together when you could write a warden?
#3 is kind of what 3e's multiclassing aimed at, but it never worked well because a non-planned multiclassing would pretty much always be awful at your new thing. Respec mechanics are a better option I think.