Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

hailthefish posted:

I'm.. honestly I don't know what's worst.

I'm so average in my 1.5 million dollar home!
I'm so average with my 3 vacations a year, totalling $18,000!
I'm so average with my $18,000 to charity every year!

Also that "-40% for taxes" seems... inaccurate.
Would probably be more like 30% in my state.

Subjunctive posted:

In NYC the effective tax rate on $500,000 is 43%

Not sure if serious.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
Very serious after Federal, New York City, State, Social Security, Medicare, and net investment taxes. Exclusive of sales tax and property tax, which are hefty on a $1.5MM home.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Subjunctive posted:

In NYC the effective tax rate on $500,000 is 43% in 2017.

Trump tax plan will save them $20K in taxes though, whew.

How on earth is it effectively 43% on the entire $500k?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
I think people are confusing "effective" with "top marginal"

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Subjunctive posted:

In NYC the effective tax rate on $500,000 is 43% in 2017.

Trump tax plan will save them $20K in taxes though, whew.
Can you please post the applicable maths?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Wait, when Americans speak of taxes they include social security, medicare and the like?

Because in that case you can add like 20% or more "taxes" to every European tax rate.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I like when people have a weird self defined concept of After Tax Income

My buddy whines about being poor on her $85k salary because "after tax it's only 3 grand a month"

Federal tax
State tax
HSA max contribution
Health insurance premium
10% goes to a savings account
Payments on her dumbass wife's maxed credit cards

Where all the money go!!

Jan 11, 2004

SiGmA_X posted:

Can you please post the applicable maths?

Single earner in New York City with $500,000 wage income pays $205,062 in federal and state income taxes before deductions, effective rate 41.0% before property taxes and typical sales taxes.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Randler posted:

Wait, when Americans speak of taxes they include social security, medicare and the like?

Because in that case you can add like 20% or more "taxes" to every European tax rate.

Yeah, federal taxes on every paycheck (both employee and employer side) are 1.45% for Medicare and 6.2% for Social Security (only for the first $128,400 a year). The employer also pays unemployment (both state and federal), and the employee also pays income taxes based on the state. It's all deducted directly from their paycheck.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
You guys might have been thinking of this Chicago area law professor who was crying about tax increases driving him to the poor house while he's earning $250k+

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-09-23/business/ct-biz-0924-rich-blog-20100923_1_law-professor-blog-taxes

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The NYC example is a two income household with two kids. It's not applicable to say what the effective tax rate is for a single no kid household making $500k

Filing jointly with two dependents and $36,000 in 401k contributions their effective tax rate is waaaay lower

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Randler posted:

And 6% sales tax! We are so taxed!

I’m not sure I want to know what you Europeans pay in VAT.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Krispy Wafer posted:

Just under four times that where I live.

Jan 11, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The NYC example is a two income household with two kids. It's not applicable to say what the effective tax rate is for a single no kid household making $500k

Filing jointly with two dependents and $36,000 in 401k contributions their effective tax rate is waaaay lower

In that case it is $186,303 or 37.2% before property taxes and typical sales taxes, I will leave it up to the thread to have a multiple-page argument about whether the difference between 41% and 37% is way lower or just lower. Also keep in mind that all of these people are going to be materially subject to the AMT and all sorts of phase-outs for dependent credits etc for this filing year that make having kids a lot less juicy than it sounds

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Krispy Wafer posted:

Probably a wise decision. May I interest you tales of Germany's investment taxation regime where you have to pay taxes on purely theoretical dividends even if you invest in funds that do not pay dividends? :razz:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Remember that 37% to 41% is not a 4% increase, it's an 11% increase

Yuge

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Look I think we can all agree that the guillotine is an effective tool of execution for the rich. We're simply arguing the details of who gets a trip to the platform.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Peak happiness got inflated from 75k to 100k recently, right?

Difficult times for us all, even the low middle class making 100,001 a year

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Peak happiness can only be obtained when one does not care anymore for the trifles of money. To find out more, my seminars are an affordable $6,900 (travel expenses not included). Simply follow the flight of the hawk departing from the convention center atrium while it flies deep into the wilderness.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Hoodwinker posted:

Look I think we can all agree that the guillotine is an effective tool of execution for the rich. We're simply arguing the details of who gets a trip to the platform.

Doctors are exempt right?

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Residency Evil posted:

Lol your salary is easily googleable hence an easier target

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Guillotine. We must be steadfast in our ardent destruction of all of the rich, even to the detriment of society. Because all evil things are unanimously evil, and there is no moral gray.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
We will keep a select few for their medical knowhow. It will be easy to find some housepoor doctors who don't deserve death

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

We will keep a select few for their medical knowhow. It will be easy to find some housepoor doctors who don't deserve death
Of course. And, to be clear in case it's not immediately obvious, there's obviously no way that the forsaking and destruction of the rich will reveal that the consolidation of resources and power is a fundamental component of social and political structures, given the chance. Once we destroy all people above the line, everything will cleanly sort itself out. All of this is covered in my seminar, "Money is Evil and You Should Give Me All of It For Safekeeping."

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
For the last page or so, I seriously thought I was back in D&D again. I hit the back button and thought my browser hiccuped when it was BFC.

Biggest advantage of living in the bay area: I cannot possibly be house-poor because I cannot possibly buy a house. :v:

quote:

All of this is covered in my seminar, "Money is Evil and You Should Give Me All of It For Safekeeping."

You seriously could sell that out here as long as you aren't too obvious. I just saw an ad in the local paper for Pet Seances. Speak to the spirit of your departed pets for the low low price of... (call me to negotiate).

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Peak happiness got inflated from 75k to 100k recently, right?

Difficult times for us all, even the low middle class making 100,001 a year

100,001 Bolivars is barely working class.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Sundae posted:

You seriously could sell that out here as long as you aren't too obvious. I just saw an ad in the local paper for Pet Seances. Speak to the spirit of your departed pets for the low low price of... (call me to negotiate).
It's proving surprisingly difficult to strike a balance so it's clear it's satire without being entirely over the top because of how loving weird of a timeline we live in. Like, I'll write something and be like, "poo poo, that sounds like something somebody has or would actually say in complete seriousness."

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
Wife and her sister inheriting father's home with $240K mortgage. We'll need to refinance to keep it. Wife's sister's finances are a mess. [USA][MA]

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8coggd/wife_and_her_sister_inheriting_fathers_home_with/

quote:

tldr; I'm seeking info about how to handle refinancing a mortgage on a property soon to be inherited by my wife and her financially irresponsible sister. It's a property we want to keep since it's been in family 3 generations. I need help with the following questions: 1. When it comes to refinancing, how might my sister in law's lovely finances affect the outcome? 2. How should we use a $100k life insurance payout to help augment payment of the mortgage? One lump sum before refinancing to reduce remaining mortgage or to buy us time, using it for monthly payments, until sister in law gets her act together to help out financially? 3. The FIL's 2nd wife gets to stay in home as long as she wants after his passing, despite it going into my wife and her sister's names. How do we ensure the 2nd wife helps with mortgage until she leaves the home?

LOTS OF DETAILS BELOW: My father in law is terminally ill and will pass his home to my wife and her sister. It's a nice beach cottage that we want to try to keep since my wife and her sister will be the 3rd generation in family to own it (re: sentimental value). I have only been a part of a few discussions about this and know probably 90% of the details. My wife and her sister will look at me to eventually help with all the financial aspects of this inheritance because I did all the mortgage research, purchase leg work and manage a rental property my wife and i own. However, the sister in law here adds complexity to all that

About the home: It's worth close to $1 million and is located on the water in a beach town. It's a nice beach cottage that my FIL and his second wife have been living in full time for last 8 years. Upone my FIL's passing, the home will be placed into a trust, managed by his 2nd wife (which scares me) and the named trustees are my wife and her sister. The home has about a $240K mortgage left on it with a $2900 monthly payment. Taxes are $11K annually. My FIL also has a $100k life insurance policy payout that will go to my wife and her sister; he has been pretty clear this is to help with the mortgage left on the home.

My wife and I make great salaries but are not in a position to pay $2900 per month for this home. We rent a vacation property in VT that we hope to use for ourselves someday when we have kids in addition to living in Boston and paying a ton of money for rent. We are financially comfortable before inheriting my FIL's home.

My wife's sister is a different story. She's younger than my wife (27 years old and 31 years old), still lives with her mother, after having to move out of her boyfriend's place after a nasty breakup. She is about to lose her job at an insurance broker because the work environment is toxic and she suffers from some anxiety issues that cause her mental anguish by high stress situations. She has a degree in art. I try to be empathetic to her situation in life, but do not want any legal or financial ties to her (nor does my wife). She's a disorganized, impulsive person who can't manager her own simple finances. She believes the $100K insurance policy is free money to be split in half with my wife and then spent however they want to; she does not see it as a way to help with the house. When you try to help her with them, her anxiety takes over and she flips the gently caress out...really not a person I want financial ties to and not someone who is any position to help with mortgage payments.

When this house and mortgage come to my wife and her sister, they (and now me) are on the hook for the mortgage. We will have to refinance to be able to afford it. And here's more poo poo to add to this pile: the 2nd wife gets to stay in it after my FIL passes until she decides to leave. The 2nd wife shares a lot of the same traits as my sister in law: terrible with money, impulsive, and suffers from anxiety issues; she's 57 and "retired" when my FIL did and refuses to go back to work in financial product sales which was a well paying job (6 figures). Oh, and the cherry on top of this pile, her daughter from her previous marriage is a 23 year old heroin addict and has a 15 month old baby that the 2nd wife is forced to take care of. The heroin addict daughter is not in the home, but in and out of rehab centers.

So, I need to help my wife and sister figure out how to make this all work. My wife and I are willing to maybe move into the home for a time and suffer through 1.5 hour commutes. We also could rent the home out and do very well covering the mortgage, but can't rent it while the 2nd wife is occupying it (with a toddler). Wife and her sister will not sell home (which I think is the best plan) because of the sentimental aspects. Any other advice besides the questions up top is also welcome if others have had similar experiences.

There is no way this doesn't end with an update where they spend their share of the mortgage and don't wind up with anything to show for it.

cosmic gumbo fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 16, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Uterine Lineup posted:

So, I need to help my wife and sister figure out how to make this all work.
Tell the father to change his life insurance policy such that the 100K goes straight into the principle of the mortgage instead of paying out to the family? Is that a thing you can do?

Also, when he says the trust is managed by the 2nd wife, how much damage can she do? Can she remortgage it or something stupid like that?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Uterine Lineup posted:

Wife and her sister inheriting father's home with $240K mortgage. We'll need to refinance to keep it. Wife's sister's finances are a mess. [USA][MA]

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8coggd/wife_and_her_sister_inheriting_fathers_home_with/

There is no way this doesn't end with an update where they spend their share of the mortgage and don't wind up with anything to show for it.

Well inevitably it's going to end with the house being sold, whether it's now or later. The sister can't pay for it, the 2nd wife is literally allowed to legally squat there, and they can't afford to on their own. They'd tend up ahead by quitclaiming their share of the house to the sister the second they get it. It's really a question if they want to continue their good finances or destroy them for a lost cause.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Uterine Lineup posted:

Help me reddit, my wife and her sister inherited a mortgage but her father's 2nd wife inherited a house!

10 years ago, a friend of mine died of a cancer that progressed super fast. So it was like 9 months from when he found out he was sick to when he died. It was still plenty of time to get his stuff in order.
He had just bought a loaded F-150 the year before he found out he was sick, so when he died it was less than 2 years old and it was a big cool truck. This was already handled in the will, and he still owed ~$30k on it.
His widow had 6 different extended family members approach her after he died/at the funeral/whatever and told her that her late husband had told them that he wanted that family member to have his truck. She knew that he hadn't promised his truck he was making payments on to 6 different people. She started responding to them "Did he also tell you that he owes 30 grand on it?" and then all of them slunk away and decided that they would rather have her keep the truck instead.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

canyoneer posted:

Help me reddit, my wife and her sister inherited a mortgage but her father's 2nd wife inherited a house!

10 years ago, a friend of mine died of a cancer that progressed super fast. So it was like 9 months from when he found out he was sick to when he died. It was still plenty of time to get his stuff in order.
He had just bought a loaded F-150 the year before he found out he was sick, so when he died it was less than 2 years old and it was a big cool truck. This was already handled in the will, and he still owed ~$30k on it.
His widow had 6 different extended family members approach her after he died/at the funeral/whatever and told her that her late husband had told them that he wanted that family member to have his truck. She knew that he hadn't promised his truck he was making payments on to 6 different people. She started responding to them "Did he also tell you that he owes 30 grand on it?" and then all of them slunk away and decided that they would rather have her keep the truck instead.

lol, family is garbage.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

canyoneer posted:

Write a loving will, people. poo poo like this is why you write a will. I see that there is a will in this situation. That is good. WRITE A loving WILL, PEOPLE.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Hoodwinker posted:

Write a loving will, people.

A significant number of people cite "I don't want to jinx myself / I fear this action would increase my chances of dying" as the reason they don't write a will!

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

A significant number of people cite "I don't want to jinx myself / I fear this action would increase my chances of dying" as the reason they don't write a will!
Yeah this isn't the first time I've encountered the attitude of, "I don't want to acknowledge/accept mortality as a given in life because that means it's more likely to happen!!! Anyway, pass the cigarettes and hand me a cheeseburger you dumb piece of poo poo!!!"

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Could be worse, but you know....it's the day before the deadline so we're full of stories:

I need to buy my wife and I IRA's before the tax year is up. How do I do it?

quote:

As the title says, I need to get my wife and I retirement savings accounts before the tax year is up. I wanted to get a Vanguard IRA, but they say it can take 2 days to get verified, at which point the tax year will be over. Should I go to the bank and get one, even though they have higher fees, because I'll be saving more than the fees on the tax free income? Not sure how to proceed. I want to put 5,500 into a traditional ira, while my wife wants to put 5,500 into a roth ira. Thanks for the help

Jan 11, 2004

Hoodwinker posted:

Write a loving will, people. poo poo like this is why you write a will. I see that there is a will in this situation. That is good. WRITE A loving WILL, PEOPLE.

Well the father has clearly established wishes, they just don't make any sense for anybody involved. It is really pretty unusual that the second wife is the trustor of the trust which apparently is intended to hold title of the house, seeing as she has a very serious direct conflict of interest regarding the primary asset of the trust. I wonder if financial mismanagement is genetic in this family seeing as apparently this house still has a mortgage on it after three generations of ownership which they are very proud of.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Half the responses are “get an estate lawyer and figure this poo poo out.”

It looks like mess, but a lawyer would be able to determine what kind of mess it is. At the same time, that mortgage has to be pretty heavily amortized, they could cut the payment to $1,300 a month if we assume 5% interest and a 30 year refi.

Still not a fun thing to be involved with.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

It's in the fine print so I'll detail:

2016 Cayman GT4
Price: $104,750
$829/month.

For *12 years*.

Which does not include the 20% down payment.

So that's $140,326.

Which does not include any taxes or fees.

Oh, or you could lease it for 5 years, at $1759/month. With $8024 due at signing. That'd only be $113,564.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Parents divorcing and remarrying late in life is always a mess.

My partner's dad divorced his wife 20 years ago and remarried 2 years ago at the age of 65

His Will?

100% of Everything -> the new wife

The new wife's will?

100% of Everything -> her kids from a previous marriage

Never count on inheriting a penny from anyone, ever!