Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
So the 3 Datasheet restriction: this is units correct? I can have 2 units of 2 Dragoons in Admech and this is only 2 instances of the datasheet right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

EvilBeard posted:

So the 3 Datasheet restriction: this is units correct? I can have 2 units of 2 Dragoons in Admech and this is only 2 instances of the datasheet right?

Correct.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

EvilBeard posted:

Correct.

What I'm wondering about is tau drones, since the drones you take in random units actually use the Fast Attack Tactical Drones datasheet ("Note that this datasheet is also used for Tactical Drones that accompany many T’au Empire units").

That seems a little messy.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I like that having people declare that they will quit X forever stands as an indicator for both bad and good balance changes :v:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Can't argue with that

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Safety Factor posted:

Deathwing isn't hurt by the 0-3 limitation at all. You've got standard terminators, cataphractii, tartaros, and Deathwing knights to choose from plus all the characters. What screws them is the weird PL requirement when figuring out what gets to deep strike.

Of course Deathwing armies are hurt by this. Deathwing armies are built with Deathwing Terminator spam in mind. Not for competitive reasons, mind you. I am rebuilding a Dark Angels army right now, having not played for a few editions, and with no intention of even running a full Deathwing list, I've still now got too many Deathwing models to ever feature them all together. Your point that I could just go buy Cataphractii and Tartaros Terminators and get functionally the same thing, at an added monetary and aesthetic cost, demonstrates that there should be a carve out.

And presumably there will be. All Deathwing armies were a thing even when I played last (3rd ed). Deathwing Terminators counting as troops choices in a list that consists entirely of Terminators, Dreads and Land Raiders would be nothing new.

All of which is academic since Terminators are not, apparently, any good right now and presumably they just got slightly worse.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.
Having meditated further - time to buy a hemlock, and sell my soul and play Ulthwe/Alaitoc. The new faq isn’t just “not a nerf” to Alaitoc, I think it’s actually a buff, as your opponent can’t get around the 12 inch rule by dropping in something like obliterators or flyrants on turn 1. Having a guaranteed battle round before anything nasty comes in close is great.

Hemlocks are now probably the most cost efficient way to get access to jinx. Quicken caught a stealth nerf that someone on Facebook spotted - quicken and warptime both now cannot affect a unit that arrived from deep strike in the same turn, so you probably don’t need multiple warlock casters any more (though losing cheap slot fillers still stings).

Need to work out my new LGT army ASAP, as I do unfortunately think my beautiful Biel Tan Brigade just goes on the scrap heap at this point, so I might have a lot of painting to do.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

You know, there's another question. If I take 3 Raven Guard Hellblasters, can I take any Blood Angels Hellblasters? What exactly defines a datasheet?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Mango Polo posted:

Huh. I actually agree.

Furthermore if you take into account the following:

You can really see that FW actually had a stroke of genius in their design. Wish GW would basically lift this page 1:1.

Are you having a ischemic attack or some sort of a stroke?

:ohdear:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

One_Wing posted:

Having meditated further - time to buy a hemlock, and sell my soul and play Ulthwe/Alaitoc. The new faq isn’t just “not a nerf” to Alaitoc, I think it’s actually a buff, as your opponent can’t get around the 12 inch rule by dropping in something like obliterators or flyrants on turn 1. Having a guaranteed battle round before anything nasty comes in close is great.

Hemlocks are now probably the most cost efficient way to get access to jinx. Quicken caught a stealth nerf that someone on Facebook spotted - quicken and warptime both now cannot affect a unit that arrived from deep strike in the same turn, so you probably don’t need multiple warlock casters any more (though losing cheap slot fillers still stings).

Need to work out my new LGT army ASAP, as I do unfortunately think my beautiful Biel Tan Brigade just goes on the scrap heap at this point, so I might have a lot of painting to do.

This is my one disappointment with the FAQ - I was fully expecting to see the -1 traits get changed, since they've taken such a clear and hard move away from them in later books. That this isn't the case suggests they were wary about outright changing rules (as opposed to adding general restrictions).

And yeah, despite apparently having a good relationship with Tabletop Tactics, they've completely missed a trick re: Lawrence's Eldar, which was already very strong and now sees most of its rivals weakened.

Living Image fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 16, 2018

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
FAQ is great and awesome.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

Corrode posted:

This is my one disappointment with the FAQ - I was fully expecting to see the -1 traits get changed, since they've taken such a clear and hard move away from them in later books. That this isn't the case suggests they were wary about outright changing rules (as opposed to adding general restrictions).

And yeah, despite apparently having a good relationship with Tabletop Tactics, they've completely missed a trick re: Lawrence's Eldar, which was already very strong and now sees most of its rivals weakened.

Yeah, I don’t expect it to take long before the Alaitoc salt is everywhere - it’s not immediately obvious, but the more I think about it the more I’m boggling slightly at how good they now are. Assuming the LGT allows non-official colour schemes on armies, I’m almost certainly running my fire prism gunline as Alaitoc - a huge amount of the good counters are just dead in the water. Reapers being less good in such a gunline stings a bit, but they might still be good enough in moderation with an un-nerfed -1 trait. The other possible dark horse is support batteries - I’ve been itching to give them a try since I realised you could use celestial shield on them, but being paper thin to deep striking melee was a major downside. Not so relevant any more.

Going to brainstorm some LGT options so I can build a shopping list.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Corrode posted:

The preamble when they were talking about the FAQ made it sound like they want to save major changes like that for the yearly Chapter Approved books, which is probably a mistake.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
Great, now I need to dig out my Ripper Swarms I have lying around somewhere and pick up a couple Neurothropes (which I suspect will be dumped onto email soon enough from those running 4+):

Battalion #1
Flyrant 209pts
++Adrenal Glands
++Monstrous Rending Claws
++Deathspitter
Flyrant 209pts
++Adrenal Glands
++Deathspitter

10x Termagant 40pts
10x Termagant 40pts
10x Termagant 40pts

Exocrine 216pts

Harpy 179pts
++2x Heavy Venom Cannon
Harpy 179pts
++2x Heavy Venom Cannon

Battalion #2
Flyrant 209pts
++Adrenal Glands
++Deathspitter
Malanthrope 140pts

10x Termagant 40pts
10x Termagant 40pts
10x Termagant 40pts

Battalion #3
Neurothrope 70pts
Neurothrope 70pts

3x Ripper Swarms 33pts
3x Ripper Swarms 33pts
3x Ripper Swarms 33pts
3x Ripper Swarms 33pts

1850pts exactly, 18CP (:eyepop:)

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I need to find something to spend 178pts on since I lost a squad of Mortars and my assassins, but my BA/IG list now has 20 CPs and loses out on very little damage output. Nice.

For 16pts I might even take a Commissar again!

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.
I finally got around to painting again and finished off a few things, bases aside!

A succubus assembled out of spare parts.

A full gang of wracks, which are an amazing kit that I want to do more of.

Out and about with dad!

and some rich flying jerks to round things out.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

FiestaNinja posted:

I finally got around to painting again and finished off a few things, bases aside!

A full gang of wracks, which are an amazing kit that I want to do more of.

Out and about with dad!

and some rich flying jerks to round things out.

Those are some great, vivid colors there!

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

The extra CP alone is super exciting. Looking forward to dropping a bunch of demons then having enough CP to play around with some other fun tricks!

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Kind of interesting that turn 1 deepstrikes are not okay, but forward deploying like Ghostkeels and Scouts is okay.

I'd like a "only X% of your army may deep strike turn 1" or something.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
I do feel it undercuts the Dark Eldar special detachment option which was neat, but they'd probably be stuck using normal detachment counts in tournament anyhow and the rest of their codex is in a good place.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Charging when you have the Fly keyword now ignores vertical distance. Does the "greater than 9 inches" deep strike ignore vertical distance?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Maneck posted:

Of course Deathwing armies are hurt by this. Deathwing armies are built with Deathwing Terminator spam in mind. Not for competitive reasons, mind you. I am rebuilding a Dark Angels army right now, having not played for a few editions, and with no intention of even running a full Deathwing list, I've still now got too many Deathwing models to ever feature them all together. Your point that I could just go buy Cataphractii and Tartaros Terminators and get functionally the same thing, at an added monetary and aesthetic cost, demonstrates that there should be a carve out.

And presumably there will be. All Deathwing armies were a thing even when I played last (3rd ed). Deathwing Terminators counting as troops choices in a list that consists entirely of Terminators, Dreads and Land Raiders would be nothing new.

All of which is academic since Terminators are not, apparently, any good right now and presumably they just got slightly worse.
How many terminators we talkin'? I've got like 25+ and that's more standard terminators than I'd ever use in 2000 points. That's not even counting the cataphractii and tartaros from my 30k Dark Angels. :shepspends: Or Deathwing Knights. I really like terminators.

I just don't see being limited to 30 "Deathwing Terminators" as a big issue at normal game sizes. Deathwing finally got combat squads so even if you wanted to toss 5-man units everywhere, you can. However, I wouldn't even contemplate a Deathwing list without knights (mostly because I think they're cool models) and their elite-level characters are pretty strong. Those combined with support like dreadnoughts and a land raider or two and you're out of points pretty quick. I'd never be running 30+ standard terminators in 1850-2000 points though I can understand it being a problem in larger games. If it becomes a problem, talk to your opponent and try to work something out. And avoid tournaments. :v: That's really all you can do.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Master Twig posted:

FAQ is great and awesome.
:agreed:, although it would have been nice to see more buffs to go with the nerfs. The original article on FAQs made it sound like they were going to do more to bring lesser-used units up to scratch. I was really hoping to see something good for Tyrant Guard or Maleceptors without waiting until Chapter Approved.

Corrode posted:

For 16pts I might even take a Commissar again!

Was it my imagination or did the old commissar FAQ make Summary Execution mandatory? i.e. if you ever took a test you couldn't possibly pass and rolled a 1, you *had* to execute a dude and roll again, possibly getting a worse result. The current wording has the re-roll optional, and with the leadership bonus available for so few points I can definitely see them being used again.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

Charging when you have the Fly keyword now ignores vertical distance. Does the "greater than 9 inches" deep strike ignore vertical distance?

:stare:

Where are you seeing this at? I don't see it in the main FAQ

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Pendent posted:

Check the core rulebook FAQ it got updated.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Pendent posted:

The BRB FAQ.

Q: When a unit that can Fly declares a charge move against a
unit that is on the upper levels of a ruin, do I need to include
the vertical distance when making the subsequent charge move
for the unit?
A: No. A unit that can Fly effectively ignores vertical
distances when making a charge move. Note though that
the charging unit must still be within 12" (measured
directly ‘base-to-base’, i.e. diagonally) to be able to
declare the charge in the first place.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

FiestaNinja posted:

More like a succu-boss. These are great, I love the colors and the OG Homunculus.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo.

Holy poo poo.

I am going to abuse the absolute hell out of that.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Pendent posted:

Holy poo poo.

Holy poo poo.

I am going to abuse the absolute hell out of that.

Yeah I'm putting vanguard in every list.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Which armies are most ripe for ebay ragequit bargains?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

PierreTheMime posted:

I do feel it undercuts the Dark Eldar special detachment option which was neat, but they'd probably be stuck using normal detachment counts in tournament anyhow and the rest of their codex is in a good place.

It doesn't undercut anything. It just states the same position as GW has always had - if an event they don't run has a limit that says "3 detachments max, no exceptions" Johnny Drukhari can't turn up and say "But GW says DE are different!!"

xtothez posted:

:agreed:, although it would have been nice to see more buffs to go with the nerfs. The original article on FAQs made it sound like they were going to do more to bring lesser-used units up to scratch. I was really hoping to see something good for Tyrant Guard or Maleceptors without waiting until Chapter Approved.

Was it my imagination or did the old commissar FAQ make Summary Execution mandatory? i.e. if you ever took a test you couldn't possibly pass and rolled a 1, you *had* to execute a dude and roll again, possibly getting a worse result. The current wording has the re-roll optional, and with the leadership bonus available for so few points I can definitely see them being used again.

Yeah previously it was mandatory, so if you lost e.g. 10 dudes and could never pass, you absolutely had to lose 1 and then re-roll again (and potentially get a worse result than you started with). Now you can choose, so if you roll a 1 you can take that instead of being forced to lose 1+D6 dudes.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Lungboy posted:

Codex: Shield-Captain on Dawneagle Jetbike :v:

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Lungboy posted:

I'm feeling like it might be a good time to pick up an Eversor

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

PierreTheMime posted:

Codex: Shield-Captain on Dawneagle Jetbike :v:

I was amazed not to see this eat a nerf of any kind.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Giant Isopod posted:

Aww man, I just realized this fucks up my ability to use my penitent engine too - I was shuffling that off to my inquisitorial detachment so I didn't lose my stratagems.

Well poo poo, I do the same thing. My secondary vanguard was crusaders, flagellants, priests and penitent engines lead by an Inquisitor. I really hope they add an exception fo Inquisitors but with how little attention they get that's probably not going to happen.

Dammit I'm not made of cannonesses GW, give us a cool unnamed priest HQ to use! The named one is too expensive and use empared.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I imagine it’s a good time to buy a flyrant if you wanted one

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Cainer posted:

Well poo poo, I do the same thing. My secondary vanguard was crusaders, flagellants, priests and penitent engines lead by an Inquisitor. I really hope they add an exception fo Inquisitors but with how little attention they get that's probably not going to happen.

Dammit I'm not made of cannonesses GW, give us a cool unnamed priest HQ to use! The named one is too expensive and use empared.

I think what I might do is a spearhead with Canoness + 2x Exorcist + Penitent Engine, but that's only works for me because I don't use priests or flagellants.

Exorcists don't lose anything from being in a ministorum detachment.

So weird that they release Eisenhorn with rules - good rules! - while at the same time clearly not having a goddamn clue what to do with inquisitors.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Safety Factor posted:

How many terminators we talkin'? I've got like 25+ and that's more standard terminators than I'd ever use in 2000 points. That's not even counting the cataphractii and tartaros from my 30k Dark Angels. :shepspends: Or Deathwing Knights. I really like terminators.

I just don't see being limited to 30 "Deathwing Terminators" as a big issue at normal game sizes. Deathwing finally got combat squads so even if you wanted to toss 5-man units everywhere, you can. However, I wouldn't even contemplate a Deathwing list without knights (mostly because I think they're cool models) and their elite-level characters are pretty strong. Those combined with support like dreadnoughts and a land raider or two and you're out of points pretty quick. I'd never be running 30+ standard terminators in 1850-2000 points though I can understand it being a problem in larger games. If it becomes a problem, talk to your opponent and try to work something out. And avoid tournaments. :v: That's really all you can do.

I've got 35 at the moment. I grabbed the plastic ones from the 7th boxed set in bulk for cheap. And realistically I will have to get more since none of those are close combat.

Your point about avoiding tournaments is fair. I mean, I love terminators but I'm building a lot of green wing and Ravenwing because, well, Terminators seem to suck. But I assume the new rules will be adopted as the default. Hate to be that guy asking for an exception to the rules - even when I don't anticipate anyone would actually object.

Counting a particular elite choice as troops for specialized lists had long been a thing. Several flavours of Chaos Space Marines get it in 8th. Deathwing Squads seem like an obvious candidate for such treatment. Hopefully they fixed it.

And thank you for the combat squad heads up. I had missed that. That does help.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Yeah I was all excited about taking Eisenhorn, a Daenonhost, and a few Assassins. Or Marbo and some Assassins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Giant Isopod posted:

I think what I might do is a spearhead with Canoness + 2x Exorcist + Penitent Engine, but that's only works for me because I don't use priests or flagellants.

Exorcists don't lose anything from being in a ministorum detachment.

So weird that they release Eisenhorn with rules - good rules! - while at the same time clearly not having a goddamn clue what to do with inquisitors.

I think I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and get Uriah Jacobus, he's twice as expensive points wise and no where near as useful but it'll do I guess, at least it's a cool model. Fingers crossed they work on ministorum when they update the sisters or give them a big fat "take these at no loss of strategems" for sister's lists rule.