Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Finally getting into the Witcher 3 somewhat.

I usually wait and buy games used once all the crap filters out and good games are cheap so I'm playing older poo poo. I really like W3 but the inventory/crafting system, the constant switching to the main map and the floaty looting controls are a pain and are slowing down (not ruining) my enjoyment. The game is moving slower than it needs to, especially when it comes to applying oils and stuff like that.

The stuff it gets right mostly makes up for the little nagging stuff but that little nagging stuff is just so constant. I feel like I'm having to pause the game every 30 seconds.

The crafting stuff is a mess that's no fun and would benefit greatly from a "less is more" approach, where you had less poo poo to deal with and less junk but more ways to utilize what you find. I can never tell if I'm better off collecting, selling, breaking down, buying or forging most of the time and usually when I wind up with something useful to craft it's a complete accident. Not a fan of the UI and pause menus at all. Maybe I'll get used to it but lately I've been deciding to just ignore most of that poo poo until I really need it.

Getting used to the combat has increased my enjoyment a lot (oh, hello dodge button!) and the story is really loving cool. Everything feels intertwined and even the side quests have a ton of flavor to them. The investigation stuff is really neat but suffers from picky controls. Maybe I'm just getting old because lately I've been finding open world games just entirely too overwhelming and it hinders my muscle memory a lot since I don't have entire 6 hour chunks of time to get into a rhythm with them. Then, when I finally do, by the time I pick the game back up I forget what the gently caress is what and wind up setting a villager on fire or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
It's safe and frankly advisable to just ignore the crafting system for most of Witcher 3. The only things really worth crafting are the Witcher school armours and you can just buy the materials as needed if you didn't find/salvage enough of them normally. So since you're not into it just don't worry about it. Also there are a bunch of convenience mods that are worth using cause yeah Witcher 3 has a lot of little annoying things about it, auto-apply oils being a big one I'd recommend given your complaints.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

the witcher games are great in that they really capture the setting from the books and they are each pretty long with great production value, but they are one of the few game series i absolutely refuse to play without item stack/cheating mods because it is tedious af constantly managing your inventory. witcher 3 benefits from the 'crafting uses no resources' mod immensely when it comes to playing pretty princess geralt

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I generally held onto the raw crafting supplies because those don't have any weight. Otherwise, I picked one set of Witcher equipment to upgrade and stuck with it, and sold all the equipment I looted (other than some of the unique swords and stuff I kept to use as decorations).

Always buy the biggest saddlebags you can find, I generally don't have to go back to town to sell stuff more than every couple hours.

If there's a problem with the Witcher 3, it's that there's a shitload of items I never have to use. At this point (I'm well into the final DLC now, level 44) I have an alchemy-heavy build and I have so many sources of healing there's no reason for me to ever hold onto food.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I’m 209 hours into Witcher 3 and still don’t know how alchemy/crafting/potions/smithing works

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Just sat through the intro to Far Cry 4 (including the ending where you wait 10 minutes), and I don't really want to fight Pagan Min. Guy seems pretty cool, and history tells me that Americans deposing dictators rarely ends well.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

just cause 3 does farcry 3 4 and 5 way better

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Replaying Shadow of War, travel is a pain in the rear end with getting stuck on rocks and walls and poo poo, climbing can be a crapshoot when the game decides you really wanted to climb sideways or whatever when you were pressing up. For an Arkham Batman ripoff the movement could use some more polish.

The orc personalities are still fun.

edit: oh, and the big double jump that is supposed to leave you up high after a cool looking jump but half the time sails straight over what you aimed for and lands you randomly on the gorund.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY has a new favorite as of 01:30 on Apr 17, 2018

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Sunswipe posted:

Just sat through the intro to Far Cry 4 (including the ending where you wait 10 minutes), and I don't really want to fight Pagan Min. Guy seems pretty cool, and history tells me that Americans deposing dictators rarely ends well.

There are options late game on how you want to deal with Min.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I know Just Cause 3 is a dumb action game and you're not supposed to think too hard about it, we're the good guys and they're the bad guys, but it's a bit weird that one of the ~Fun Side Activities~ you do is driving a car bomb into a military outpost

Back into the loading times complaint, it seems the devs really didn't expect them to even exist. You know when you play a 3rd Person Game and there's a cutscene, then the main character turns his back to you and the camera gets in the position where you usually play and the cutscene seamlessly changes into gameplay? There are a lot of moments like that, except Rico turns his back to you and...loading screen. Every time. I'm already over it, and I'm still having a blast with the game, but it really stands out.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
Just to add to the ugh Ubisoft ugh train, Far Cry 2 does a lot to sabotage itself. Rapidly deteriorating weapons, constant fixing of vehicles, respawning checkpoints everywhere, unfun exploration for money (Diamonds are the currency. And if you want to play around with more than four weapons, guess what you'll be doing!) etc. And then the plot starting off as "Just got here. Already got Malaria" is kinda typical of Ubisoft's garbage writing, but this effects gameplay when trying to shoot someone when your vision blurs and the overwhelming brown of the environments decide to get yellowish-green.

And this really does describe like 80% of the game it's so deprived of content.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Cythereal posted:

Same reason the imperial agent has to tolerate an avowed anti-Imperial anarchist who repeatedly betrays and blackmails you on their ship: because Bioware said so, dammit.

Vector's actually a nice dude who's absolutely true to his word. If you romance him, he even undergoes medical treatment to suppress his connection to the hive so you can truly be alone with him.
The whole hive mind thing, plus him literally carrying grubs around inside him, rather turned me off to that idea.

Agent mostly had an engaging story, but man were the companions unbelievably inappropriate.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

spit on my clit posted:

ubisoft presents tom clancy's ghost recon: wildlands: the splinter cell mission is SHIIIIIIIIIT. You sneak into this heavily armored facility (without killing anyone or else the mission fails), and then you...have to kill all the guys in the facility. this is already a really stupid objective, because you aren't sneaking sam fisher into the facility, he's already in the heart of it, where you need to be. now if it were "they found me, i need backup" and you just go in and kill everyone, because sam fisher doesn't play that way i guess, it'd be alright.

Get a heli, parachute in onto Sam's roof and laugh as the need for stealth is eliminated.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Lead Psychiatry posted:

Just to add to the ugh Ubisoft ugh train, Far Cry 2 does a lot to sabotage itself. Rapidly deteriorating weapons, constant fixing of vehicles, respawning checkpoints everywhere, unfun exploration for money (Diamonds are the currency. And if you want to play around with more than four weapons, guess what you'll be doing!) etc. And then the plot starting off as "Just got here. Already got Malaria" is kinda typical of Ubisoft's garbage writing, but this effects gameplay when trying to shoot someone when your vision blurs and the overwhelming brown of the environments decide to get yellowish-green.

FarCry 2 is the only game I’m legit angry about buying. And this is coming from someone who preordered the most recent Sim City game.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Samuringa posted:

I know Just Cause 3 is a dumb action game and you're not supposed to think too hard about it, we're the good guys and they're the bad guys, but it's a bit weird that one of the ~Fun Side Activities~ you do is driving a car bomb into a military outpost

I remember playing Just Cause 2 and one of the first missions I did involved handing a nuclear reactor into the hands of terrorists, which also seemed fairly dubious.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Gerblyn posted:

I remember playing Just Cause 2 and one of the first missions I did involved handing a nuclear reactor into the hands of terrorists, which also seemed fairly dubious.

Rarely are there games that reward you more for turning off your brain.

On another note, I'm a fan of the action/horror genre along the lines of FEAR, RE4, System Shock 2, etc. I went back and finally played Dead Space. It's fantastic, but two things were really bothering me in the first hour or so:

1. The completely unsubtle way that every audio log, journal, and message scrawled in blood on the wall tells you to shoot off the necromorph's limbs.

2. The sound design. In all the games I mentioned above, sound is a huge part of game play, both helping you keep track of what's hunting you and where, approximately, it's hiding, adding both tension and strategic depth to the game. In Dead Space, most of the "ambient" sounds meant to freak you out have nothing to do with the position or even existence of bad guys. It seriously feels like playing a normal horror game only with someone banging pots and pans together right behind you. It quickly goes from tense to annoying to just background noise.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Why the gently caress did Bethesda decide to get rid of the Quest notes tab and drop all your flavour texts, diary's, love letters, etc into the Misc tab so when I want to read that note I just looted I have to go searching through a dozen quest items and eight loving million loving keys for a raider compound you did five hours ago? Why did they get rid of the key ring mechanic that dropped them all into a separate pile because who actually goes looking at automatic keys? Why are they so bad at this? Genuinely baffling regression of a feature that they had already nailed in Fallout 3 and Skyrim so could be carried straight over.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Because modders will fix it.

Only about a quarter serious there

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Gerblyn posted:

Yeah the games depict being a CIA agent engineering a coup more realistically than you'd expect

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Even by the standard of early-access multiplayer piles chasing the latest buzzwords Radical Heights is astoundingly unfinished. Large swaths of the map are just straight up untextured boxes sitting on empty land, player customization is the entire focus of its monetization but there's only one (male) body with three hairstyles, and the only thing aside from walking and shooting that they've implemented so far are bicycles that are broken to the point of hilarity. It's so bad that since it's f2p and the install size is a measly six gigs it's almost worth installing and fooling around a bit just to gawk at the trainwreck factor; I actually laughed out loud when I first started a match since they haven't gotten parachutes to work yet so your dude just plummets to the earth without flinching, would would be kind of awesome if it was in any way intentional.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they threw the thing together in the few weeks between their announcement that they were abandoning Lawbreakers and now.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Lead Psychiatry posted:

My favorite thing with FC2 was how badly every single other human in the game wanted your character dead. I had just driven through a checkpoint and was trying to avoid getting shot at by a car behind me when I drove off the road into the trees. I got out, but kept hearing a car noise from somewhere, but I couldn't see anything. I walk around for a bit and see a NPC car stuck between 2 trees, with the car constantly banging against the front tree. Guy inside was trying to run me down still. Don't know why the AI didn't trigger for him to get out of the car, but FC2 was a bit of mess at times.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Guy Mann posted:

Even by the standard of early-access multiplayer piles chasing the latest buzzwords Radical Heights is astoundingly unfinished. Large swaths of the map are just straight up untextured boxes sitting on empty land, player customization is the entire focus of its monetization but there's only one (male) body with three hairstyles, and the only thing aside from walking and shooting that they've implemented so far are bicycles that are broken to the point of hilarity. It's so bad that since it's f2p and the install size is a measly six gigs it's almost worth installing and fooling around a bit just to gawk at the trainwreck factor; I actually laughed out loud when I first started a match since they haven't gotten parachutes to work yet so your dude just plummets to the earth without flinching, would would be kind of awesome if it was in any way intentional.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they threw the thing together in the few weeks between their announcement that they were abandoning Lawbreakers and now.

It's literally an alpha you fuckin' doofus.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

It's literally an alpha you fuckin' doofus.

I mean that's even kind of generous, it looks and feels like a proof of concept demo, I don't get why in the world people release games THIS early when all it's gonna do is hurt you for a while, like the wide majority of coverage the game's getting is "lol look at this poo poo" and then some streamers who're really obviously shilling.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It's a desperation tactic, plain and simple. They've gotta scramble to get something out there to make money off of thanks to Lawbreakers turning into a shitshow. (Apparently they want it to go F2P to perhaps turn it around but the publisher differs or is otherwise dragging its feet.)

The fact that they fully implemented a cash shop already is pretty sad no matter how you slice it though.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Lawbreakers not just going F2P is the saddest thing, like give that thing a chance for once in it's life.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
Atelier Lydie & Suelle: ~ The Alchemists and the Mysterious Paintings ~: you fight against the main plot's villain halfway through the game - before you can create any sort of revival item. Failed to defend against or heal up his heavily telegraphed big attack? Enjoy chipping away at him with one character less.

This is doubly problematic: of your six party members, three are active and three are support. Supporters recover HP and MP, and use reaction skills they can't use when in the front line. With a supporter, your party member can dump their MP then switch with their supporter and regenerate. If they're knocked out, the supporter steps in but without a revive item you're minus one ally for the fight.

The boss also also 3000HP. Most enemies at this point have maybe 350. Your attacks do 40-70 damage on a normal hit; if you start losing characters the fight just drags.

(The boss also reacts to physical attacks by dealing revenge damage, which piles up.)

The best thing to do is to synthesise a lot of ice bombs (~70 damage) or the second tier fire bombs (120-130 damage despite boss' resistance if they have good traits) and spam them with any character that can use items whilst using your physical attackers as tanks.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Yardbomb posted:

I mean that's even kind of generous, it looks and feels like a proof of concept demo, I don't get why in the world people release games THIS early when all it's gonna do is hurt you for a while, like the wide majority of coverage the game's getting is "lol look at this poo poo" and then some streamers who're really obviously shilling.

They cobbled it together in 5 months trying to grab a piece of the battle royal pie when they realized the genre was gonna be big only to be beaten by Fortnite.
They are just throwing out there what they have and promise to, like, totally improve it and poo poo! Any minute now! Well if enough people are playing it and buying enough microtransactions. If not they gonna drop it like a hot potato.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Lunar Suite posted:

Atelier Lydie & Suelle: ~ The Alchemists and the Mysterious Paintings ~: you fight against the main plot's villain halfway through the game - before you can create any sort of revival item. Failed to defend against or heal up his heavily telegraphed big attack? Enjoy chipping away at him with one character less.

This is doubly problematic: of your six party members, three are active and three are support. Supporters recover HP and MP, and use reaction skills they can't use when in the front line. With a supporter, your party member can dump their MP then switch with their supporter and regenerate. If they're knocked out, the supporter steps in but without a revive item you're minus one ally for the fight.

The boss also also 3000HP. Most enemies at this point have maybe 350. Your attacks do 40-70 damage on a normal hit; if you start losing characters the fight just drags.

(The boss also reacts to physical attacks by dealing revenge damage, which piles up.)

The best thing to do is to synthesise a lot of ice bombs (~70 damage) or the second tier fire bombs (120-130 damage despite boss' resistance if they have good traits) and spam them with any character that can use items whilst using your physical attackers as tanks.

It really sounds like you were missing something, they'd have to be terrible designers to have a fight like that in the terms you said.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

CitizenKain posted:

There are options late game on how you want to deal with Min.

Glad to hear that, 'cos the Golden Path aren't really winning me over. "Yeah, we need you to watch this goat sacrifice. We do this because otherwise the devil will control our souls." Uh, ok. You do that, I'm gonna go see if I can hook back up with Pagan.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

PYF thing dragon down the entire game industry: Too much of it is being driven by twitch which is in turn driven by 15 year olds making the most obnoxious people the highest viewed.

I mean I can assume the game industry has always had it's share of bullshit genre chasing and garbage, but I still don't like seeing it so obviously laid out in front of me.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Agent355 posted:

PYF thing dragon down the entire game industry: Too much of it is being driven by twitch which is in turn driven by 15 year olds making the most obnoxious people the highest viewed.

I mean I can assume the game industry has always had it's share of bullshit genre chasing and garbage, but I still don't like seeing it so obviously laid out in front of me.

Can you extrapolate on this some more?
I'm not disagreeing that it's happening and I have some serious :words: about streamers and Twitch culture in general, but I'm curious what kind of effects you're seeing on actual games as a result of this.

The only one that comes straight to mind is Hello Neighbor, which I think everybody who's ever heard anything about it understands that it was completely ruined by youtube.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Well like the latest craze is PUBG sorta things, which now I guess are fortnite kind of things. Which primarily got popular through twitch (because it's a free game a 15 year old can play) and now we see a whole bunch of look-a-likes.

Games like Sea of Theives are expressly designed with twitch in mind to the point where the actual game is dumb and boring.

Of course for my part that just means I don't play those games and go do other things, so it's hardly really negatively impacting me at all as long as there are still games I do enjoy that are coming out. But I absolutely loath the twitch community in general, in part because I'd really really enjoy using some stream as a cool chill out background noise while I did my own thing but so many people are trying to 'make it big' and 'big' is defined as being the most obnoxious horrible person you can possibly be with as many catch phrases and dumb sound effects as you can possibly cram in.

If you regularly go to twitch (like me) looking for halfway decent things to watch and have to wade through all the garbage you'll see random rear end new games pop up on the front page all the time which are just copies of whatever else is popular on the frontpage that now suddenly has 20k veiwers because they paid for stinkomanowar or however to stream their lovely knock off for a day.

Watching a community that toxic and awful get catered to irks me, even if I'm perfectly capable of just not playing the lovely knock off games that 'twitch-chasing' is creating.

Agent355 has a new favorite as of 22:05 on Apr 18, 2018

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

A guy interviewed for a position at my work and since 2014 has had the steady job of "professional twitch streamer and YouTube content creator" as well as 4 or 5 summer jobs because of college. Apparently he said in the interview that he was looking for a "real job" because the guy who put footage of the suicide in Japan on YouTube ruined monetization for the smaller guys like him.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Agent355 posted:

Well like the latest craze is PUBG sorta things, which now I guess are fortnite kind of things. Which primarily got popular through twitch (because it's a free game a 15 year old can play) and now we see a whole bunch of look-a-likes.

Games like Sea of Theives are expressly designed with twitch in mind to the point where the actual game is dumb and boring.

Of course for my part that just means I don't play those games and go do other things, so it's hardly really negatively impacting me at all as long as there are still games I do enjoy that are coming out. But I absolutely loath the twitch community in general, in part because I'd really really enjoy using some stream as a cool chill out background noise while I did my own thing but so many people are trying to 'make it big' and 'big' is defined as being the most obnoxious horrible person you can possibly be with as many catch phrases and dumb sound effects as you can possibly cram in.

If you regularly go to twitch (like me) looking for halfway decent things to watch and have to wade through all the garbage you'll see random rear end new games pop up on the front page all the time which are just copies of whatever else is popular on the frontpage that now suddenly has 20k veiwers because they paid for stinkomanowar or however to stream their lovely knock off for a day.

Watching a community that toxic and awful get catered to irks me, even if I'm perfectly capable of just not playing the lovely knock off games that 'twitch-chasing' is creating.

Game development / creative streams are chill as poo poo and usually very friendly because the folks who do those are really outgoing for game devs, which is to say "normal levels of obnoxious" by most other standards.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
I love how Gearbox has made three ripoffs in a row.

"OUR GAME IS GONNA COMPETE WITH OVERWATCH, EVEN THOUGH IT'S ACTUALLY A FIRST-PERSON MOBA!"
"gently caress that noise, that sucked, here's the actual Overwatch clone. And we're being really obvious about it being an Overwatch clone."
"...If we rip off FortNite will you please love us?"

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
"Our greatest success was making a mediocre game that nevertheless got big cause it beat everyone else to market. Let's go copy some better developers!"

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Jukebox Hero posted:

I love how Gearbox has made three ripoffs in a row.

"OUR GAME IS GONNA COMPETE WITH OVERWATCH, EVEN THOUGH IT'S ACTUALLY A FIRST-PERSON MOBA!"
"gently caress that noise, that sucked, here's the actual Overwatch clone. And we're being really obvious about it being an Overwatch clone."
"...If we rip off FortNite will you please love us?"

First one is battleborne, but what are those other two games meant to be?

Sounds like you are thinking about Lawbreakers and Radical Heights, which are developed by Boss Key, not Gearbox.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also unless I'm mistaken Battleborn wasn't intended as an Overwatch ripoff or competitor, it just happened to be developed and launch at about the same time and got creamed for it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nothing is original, stop trying to make GTA-clone a thing again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Nothing is original but 'originality' is not a binary yes/no. There is a scale of originality and some things are just chasing fads and some are at least trying. It is okay to talk about this and point it out.