Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Wait... at the end were they bringing in a bunch of windows to replace the ones they shot out at the Sanctuary? What the gently caress was even that plot point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Caros posted:

I'd legit watch more dexter over this.

The 3rd season of Heroes and American Horror Story often get overlooked in favor of Dexter when people are talking about the worst.

Heroes in particular. Good god it got bad in the 2nd season but by the 3rd season it was a 10,000 car pile up filmed by Michael Bay level train wreck with more holes in the plot than seems possible. I one time rewatched the 1st episode after the 3rd season concluded and literally counted - and not even nit picking stuff - about 60+ plot holes in a 40 minute episode. It was impressive.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Look at you people who aren't mentioning Falling Skies.

You are like little babies.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BonoMan posted:

Wait... at the end were they bringing in a bunch of windows to replace the ones they shot out at the Sanctuary? What the gently caress was even that plot point?

To recap "things AMC did from the comic but did not translate from the comic at all," I looked this up in the comic out of curiosity.

Much like many, many other things they totally screwed up - just look at the comic panels for Carl vs Negan in the truck and see how much more logical that scene was there, no 'deer in headlights while Negan saunters around' bullshit - the glass was one of them. Apparently, since they lacked Cool Daryl Motorcycle Guy, they were smashing all the windows to make maximum noise and call the nearby horde. They also did it because they didn't drive right up to the gate like loving morons and get close enough to scream at Negan and his leadership without a bullhorn.

Once Negan realized what they were doing, he in fact uses the line "I hope you've got your making GBS threads pants on," but it wasn't a threat, it was a comment to Dwight about how hosed they were about to be which makes it so much more tolerable than an attempt at some threatening trailer-line.

So in the show, they just said "Well, glass broke here, we better break glass" and nobody stopped to go 'this makes no loving sense in this context.'

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TTerrible posted:

Sadly I never watched it but I somehow doubt it can hold a candle to Heroes season 3, which literally opens with character A (who is evil but they never explain why went evil and then doesn't go evil) telling character B, who is a time traveler that she knows is a time traveler, "There's no time." She is then confused when he travels in time. She knew this already.

ED: Also THE HUNNNNNNNGER

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

TTerrible posted:

You are like little babies.

Yeah, fair...I dipped on that after 2.5 seasons. :huh:

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
My only dig on FTWD is I wish they hadn't gone digital with it. The film look in Walking Dead is much better imo.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Le Saboteur posted:

My only dig on FTWD is I wish they hadn't gone digital with it. The film look in Walking Dead is much better imo.

I've never understood this or TWD's justification for it. It looks like absolutely dog poo poo. Like... nothing in TWD looks competent cinematically.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

BonoMan posted:

I've never understood this or TWD's justification for it. It looks like absolutely dog poo poo. Like... nothing in TWD looks competent cinematically.

I like the use of 16mm film as a classic horror thing. Adds a lot of grit and grain to the frame. As for the framing of the shots and cinematography it's gone way downhill because it's not in the hands of a competent director like Frank Darabont. The 16mm choice was his preference when they started and they stuck with if. Although I think they did experiment with digital a bit in season 3 or something.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Le Saboteur posted:

I like the use of 16mm film as a classic horror thing. Adds a lot of grit and grain to the frame. As for the framing of the shots and cinematography it's gone way downhill because it's not in the hands of a competent director like Frank Darabont. The 16mm choice was his preference when they started and they stuck with if. Although I think they did experiment with digital a bit in season 3 or something.

Yeah I def like grit and grain if it's used right... but like you said the execution is just dick all. They aren't doing anything interesting with. Such a waste and I loving know it's gotta be as expensive as poo poo. I'm surprised a producer hasn't looked at the numbers and gone "wait why the gently caress are we paying for this if it looks like the equivalent of a student project?"

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Le Saboteur posted:

Just using 16mm film doesn't really make things look good. It did in season 1, sure.

But now? I mean.. look at the color correction between TWD and Fear. TWD looks like a daytime soap opera.

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008
Those slow closeup shots of the zombie faces are sure good for showing off how bad the makeup for them looks these days.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

FTWD has much better coloration and a more diverse color palette in general. Walking Dead could use a visual revamp but I'd like to see them stick with film. But it is actually way more expensive and I'm surprised they've stuck with it.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Jesus this ftwd cowboy fuckin owns

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Also this intro title is really really good

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Blazing Ownager posted:

That is so gloriously dumb I actually want that now.

Keifer Sutherland running around the zombie apocalypse terrorizing everyone, because some rear end in a top hat found a nuclear bomb.

*Jack Bauer throws Siddiq up against the wall*
‘Tell me where the bomb is!’

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Half the shots in WD are extreme close ups of faces.

Also now it makes sense why Maggie isn't showing yet, it's been 20 days not 20 weeks.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I think Greg Nicotero is actually a big problem for The Walking Dead his creature effects are pretty poo poo these days and his directing is amateurish at best. And he's directed the most episodes out of anyone.

He's not as hands on with the effects on FTWD and it shows.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Hasselblad posted:

gif of Risk muzzle sweeping all of his people please.

LOL my Mom, who has never fired a gun in her life, even caught that one.

moist turtleneck posted:

Did the note in the shack mean that Dwight's girl committed suicide?

She went to where their honeymoon was, so he can look for her there presumably.

Hasselblad posted:

Can someone explain Daryl's POV and motivation beyond horridly bad writing?
Is it all stemming from Dwight stealing his bike?

Daryl hates Dwight because he is the Bizarro Daryl, but he recognizes that Dwight had a poo poo deal with Negan and his wife, plus Dwight did in the end do the right thing and was trying to help Rick's group. So he "exiled" him, but in reality was setting him up with a chance to find his wife--a punishment that was really a reward, kinda like when Kirk was demoted in ST:IV.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/ZEaBRgQ.gifv

moist turtleneck fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 17, 2018

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

The real reason Drrrl and Maggie want to take Rick out is when he nearly killed both of them in this scene with his poor muzzle control.
:nallears:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Princeps32 posted:

he was literally in the premier, they did a time jump to catch the FTWD people up

Le Saboteur posted:

Theres a big ol time skip in the premiere of FTWD to get them in line with the ending of Season 8 of The Walking Dead.

Yea but what happened on the dam, the brother escaped with salvidad and the others went on the boat. How did they even get back together in texas?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Why is your only remaining doctor out there on the frontlines?! Rick what are you doing?!

At least they gave him some paintball gear, I guess.

Tenzarin posted:

Yea but what happened on the dam, the brother escaped with salvidad and the others went on the boat. How did they even get back together in texas?

I’m sure there’ll be flashbacks or something. Apparently Ep2 takes place pre-ep1.

And worse: an interview says El Salvidad probably won’t show up the first half of the season

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 17, 2018

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

moist turtleneck posted:

Jesus this ftwd cowboy fuckin owns
Yeah, the cowboy is cool and good.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

https://i.imgur.com/9LC4d0l.mp4

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

:five:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Holy poo poo thank you! :peanut:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ersatz posted:

He's had a lot of practice playing such characters.

He's the only actor to play two characters in Deadwood.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Rocksicles posted:

He's had a lot of practice playing such characters.

He's the only actor to play two characters in Deadwood.

And three in Terminator: SCC

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Ersatz posted:

Name's John Dorie. Like the fish, but with an "ie" :clint:

Yeah ok Garret Dillahunt. Once again you have stolen my heart :swoon:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Just rewatched S1 of FTWD and yea...it's about how I remember it. It's nothing specially great, but I'd deffo not call it bad either. It's an okay watch and if nothing else, it's nice seeing regular people react realistically to the outbreak, at least if you imagine that in this universe no one has ever conceived of the concept of a zombie (and realistically as in that they don't just whip out their guns and poo poo at the start, but that when faced with gruesome cannibalism they very often run...like a lot...and only by the third episode does anyone of the main cast remember to get and use a gun). S2 tho yea...I can't remember anything that happened in it other than its end and one episode inbetween so...it likely is a fair bit bad. Overall, though, the writing and acting has always been okayish with some better some worse, it's just that the lower budget while still wanting to do big poo poo like riots and walkers breaking down the fence come off about as hilariously as some of the poo poo the main show has put out nowadays with their lower budget.

I'd say to any folks thinking about watching through the previous FTWD seasons, 1 and 2 are passable if you need to kill some time and are kinda interested in the general theme it's going for (mainly that good folks fall behind on the curve and one really needs to be more ruthless at times to survive such poo poo), season 3 is a must since it finally addresses what that sort of path leads to (Mad Madison, El Salvidad and all that jazz) and have no idea what's actually planned for S4 but...sounds like first episode was aight too??? despite the shoehorned main show Morgan walking poo poo? I dunno...either way, I'll give it a chance now that I've thoroughly hatewatched all the clips of the main show and done marvelling at its retardedness.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 17, 2018

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Don't know why you all are calling the Terminator from TSCC all of these weird names... :colbert:

Although to be fair, he was McCall/Wolcott on Deadwood way before that, but I just don't recognize him with the beard! :riker:

Gizmodo did a good writeup about how the finale was undeserved, but I was disappointed they felt catharsis with the episode when Rick :airquote: came back to the good side. :airquote: The biggest problem with the season is the timeline, everything seems insane and all of the characters come off as schizophrenic making so many random changes of heart over such a short period. At least if Rick had killed Negan, everyone could have seen how far he had sunk, that even Carl's dying words were just more ash in Rick's mouth which he could use to lie and kill. Maggie/Drrrrrrl could have seen that and realized the path they were beginning to walk down, Jesus talking them back onto the ~righteous path~ setting up their confrontation with Rick with Maggie/Hilltop being the good guys. I mean, surely a bunch of salaried professional writers could come up with something better than that?

:sigh:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So if I’ve never seen Fear can I just jump in on the 3rd season and skip the poo poo or would nothing make sense?

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
I hadn't actually watched this season so my plan was to watch it all in about a week and then make a post when I finished with a quippy single line takedown of each episode but I just finished episode 1 and holy gently caress.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Boris Galerkin posted:

So if I’ve never seen Fear can I just jump in on the 3rd season and skip the poo poo or would nothing make sense?

Fear is good. You'll miss El Salvadad's trip into crazytown for some milk

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Blazing Ownager posted:

From the sounds you haven't been following the thread but to catch you up: Fear the Walking Dead got really good in the 3rd season. Gimple fired the show runner but then Gimple was moved away from creative control and frankly, the writing staff over there is flat out better and still intact. People talk a little more like people and not monologue machines, the actions is better, the production value is better.. it's bizarre.

Frankly every character has more personality than the entire main cast on TWD by this point. Even the new characters from the season 4 premiere already have far more investment with me than anyone in Rick's crew. The biggest difference between the shows is after the wildly inconsistent (and often pretty awful season 2) they realized the Clark family are actually a bunch of assholes and ran with it.

I'd give the show a chance but realize season 3 is where it actually turns into a good show and not just lovely TWD. Since you already watched season 1 and 2 all I can say if you ever thought to yourself "THESE PEOPLE ARE ASSHOLES" watching it, you will love Season 3.

ED: Put it this way, the season opener was almost a Morgan with a stick episode, and it only sucked until they stopped the crossover footage poo poo. You can tell the main show shot that whole part, because it looks like rear end compared to the way the rest of the show is shot.

But I cannot stress enough that Fear has turned into a decent TV show with better writing, effects and production and WAYYYYY better pacing (poo poo gets DONE on Fear now), and is definitely worth resuming post season 2. Also the universe is more interesting with better factions, cooler settlements and now a Fury Road truck.

Since a lot of the people here probably gave up on Fear I'll stress Fear (S3+) is a much better show.

I had more fun with the Fear premiere than I've had with the last 2 seasons of TWD. I also actually liked a few characters and didn't want them to get killed.

It's an alien experience after TWD.

I fully endorse this post.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Speaking of Fear, I know last season people had given up after the clusterfuck of season 2 of even bothering to make an OP for it to move the thread.

Then season 3 ended up being gold, with the handful of us that bothered checking it out.

Does anyone want to make a Fear season 4 thread? Anyone have a problem if I make one? I feel like the show is actually good and deserves an OP reflecting that instead of just being the back half of the thread for this lovely, lovely show that we care so little about it still says it's season 7.

I dare say it might even be time to end this thread and start one anew.

Oh god yes please.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Boris Galerkin posted:

Not really although I'd find a synopsis of S1 & S2 before diving in. Maybe YT has some refresher poo poo. Just checked, they're short.

theloosecannon
Sep 13, 2003

DarklyDreaming posted:

Yeah ok Garret Dillahunt. Once again you have stolen my heart :swoon:

I’ve been binging ER on Hulu at work and late S12/early S13 has him kidnap/murder/rape people. No, sir, I didn’t like it. :colbert:

edit: godfuckingdammit when am I going to remember to change that avatar

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

theloosecannon posted:

I’ve been binging ER on Hulu at work and late S12/early S13 has him kidnap/murder/rape people. No, sir, I didn’t like it. :colbert:

edit: godfuckingdammit when am I going to remember to change that avatar

You probably wouldn't like him in Deadwood either...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Them dragging Negan out makes me just shake my head. Comic Negan seemed to see reason after like 2 days of fighting, even if you hate the character. There was something there to be redeemed.

This Negan went down trying to execute a priest because crazytown.

This is beautiful, so beautiful

PS: I am not bitching about realistic tactics in TWD anymore, but I wish someone directing it would at least have watched a movie in which someone uses a gun at some point in their life, Jesus Christ

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Apr 17, 2018