Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

The boys are back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Still better than “Go Go (insert season name here)”

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Man you make this show look a lot better than I remember it being when I was a kid. I hated beetleborgs, but u watched it for a very good reason: because it was on TV, and what was I supposed to do, not continue to watch Fox kids until Jeopardy came on?

Your beetleborg cuts make new wonder if it was low key better than power rangers at the time at what it was trying to do.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Bertleborgs was for the kids whose parents wouldnt let then watch Power Rangers because of the violence.

I conflate Beetlebergs with Metallic Armor rangers for some reason. :barf:

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 15, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm pretty sure the ghost Hunter guy is doing a riff on the monorail episode of the Simpsons. No, not The Music Man which that episode is based on, but that Simpsons episode specifically.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I always suspect the reason Power Rangers started getting a budget is because shows like Masked Rider and Beetleborgs and Tir Na Nog required Saban to invest additional budget into live action superhero shows that failed, and then they'd just redirect the remaining budget into PR.

It's like Zeo and Turbo were better than Mighty Morphin because they consumed Masked Rider's assets; and In Space, Lost Galaxy, and especially Time Force (holy professional actors Batman) were just eating up the leftover cash from Beetleborgs and Mystic Knights.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I mean, Beetleborgs didn’t really fail, they just only had two seasons of source material

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Tir Na Nog was going to have a second season, but it was canceled to funnel its budget into Lost Galaxy, iirc.

I kinda liked TNN. Like, yeah, it was bad, but the lady who played the princess lady was (and still is) super pretty.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sockser posted:

I mean, Beetleborgs didn’t really fail, they just only had two seasons of source material

I think there were plans to continue the series with entirely original footage (which about 90% of the show basically already was) but it fell through, there also weren't any other decent Metal Hero shows to mine footage from. Despite that, the show was actually doing better than Power Rangers at one point (and is part of the reason why Justin was brought in for Turbo).

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

FilthyImp posted:

Bertleborgs was for the kids whose parents wouldnt let then watch Power Rangers because of the violence.

Because the toys were metallic? I liked them better than the Power Rangers figures. Also, the Masked Rider had some decent toys too.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

FilthyImp posted:

Probably because of the second season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6UDWDcfm3c

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The thing about Beetleborgs is it’s the most utterly bizarre blend of “kids love this”. It’s like they wrote things kids (okay fine, boys) think are neat on ping pong balls and then drew some out of a tumbler.

“So today’s source footage wild card is bugs.... Let’s hope this goes better than our last bug-man show, right? And the first pick drawn is..... movie monsters! Okay guys, we’re going to have a bug show that also has ghosts and goblins! Now we’re going to spin the ball a few more times and draw the second concept, aaaaand the winner is... comic books!

Thanks for your ideas, everyone! To repeat, our winners were ‘movie monsters’ and ‘comic books’ so make sure you put a comic book store and some mummies or something in your scripts. Enjoy the weekend!”

The fact that the kids loved comics was even funnier because it was the mid to late 90s when even people who liked comics for decades will tell you was a REALLY BAD period for the industry as a whole.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I showed my kid which power ranger shows there are and he chose Mystic Force for the next one.

Holy poo poo the transfer on Netflix is so bad. This show is from 2005 but looks like absolute garbage! Even the MMPR video is not nearly as bad (maybe because the camera doesn't move nearly as much in that show?)

It's like things are constantly distorting every time someone moves.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Craptacular! posted:

The thing about Beetleborgs is it’s the most utterly bizarre blend of “kids love this”. It’s like they wrote things kids (okay fine, boys) think are neat on ping pong balls and then drew some out of a tumbler.

“So today’s source footage wild card is bugs.... Let’s hope this goes better than our last bug-man show, right? And the first pick drawn is..... movie monsters! Okay guys, we’re going to have a bug show that also has ghosts and goblins! Now we’re going to spin the ball a few more times and draw the second concept, aaaaand the winner is... comic books!

Thanks for your ideas, everyone! To repeat, our winners were ‘movie monsters’ and ‘comic books’ so make sure you put a comic book store and some mummies or something in your scripts. Enjoy the weekend!”

The fact that the kids loved comics was even funnier because it was the mid to late 90s when even people who liked comics for decades will tell you was a REALLY BAD period for the industry as a whole.

I've mentioned it before but the reason Beetleborgs is so schizophrenic in it's themes is that Saban merged two different show concepts they had lying around together

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I know they had toyed around with a bulk and Skull spinoff for a while where they ran their uncle's hotel. Would it have been similarly haunted?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

I know they had toyed around with a bulk and Skull spinoff for a while where they ran their uncle's hotel. Would it have been similarly haunted?

Bulk dies and becomes a ghostly interdimensional being trapped in a time organ.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Mystic Knights of Tir NA Nog wasn't actually cribbed off of Sentai or Metal hero footage was it? It was felt so weirdly different compared to the others. And I mean that in a pretty okay way.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

Mystic Knights of Tir NA Nog wasn't actually cribbed off of Sentai or Metal hero footage was it? It was felt so weirdly different compared to the others. And I mean that in a pretty okay way.

No that was 100% original. It was actually pretty good from what I remember, a pity the only episodes I've been able to find are all lovely VHS recordings.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Next sentai special from Toei: MILFs(Moms I Like to see Fight)

https://io9.gizmodo.com/toeis-next-super-sentai-special-is-devoted-to-the-great-1825264247

DekaYellow, MagiPink, and Hurricane Blue gotta balance saving the world with being a mom.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Apr 16, 2018

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Larryb posted:

No that was 100% original. It was actually pretty good from what I remember, a pity the only episodes I've been able to find are all lovely VHS recordings.

I don't think it will have aged well. The CGI looked bad even back then, not to mention the toy trident.

But I did kinda like it as well, it had some pretty decent world building going on and being more mytholigical made it pretty interesting as well. The cars they added at the end were bad though.
I would love to see them try it again with modern technology.

Next sentai special from Toei: MILFs(Moms I Like to see Fight)

https://io9.gizmodo.com/toeis-next-super-sentai-special-is-devoted-to-the-great-1825264247

DekaYellow, MagiPink, and Hurricane Blue gotta balance saving the world with being a mom.
This look awesome. We will never see anything this awesome here.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Get me Emma Lahana on the phone.

If they theoretically wanted to do a version of this I think Monica May would be the hardest to get since she lives in America and pretty actively tours as a burlesque dancer.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 16, 2018

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Darth TNT posted:

I don't think it will have aged well. The CGI looked bad even back then, not to mention the toy trident.

It’s better than you think, even if the show works against itself at almost every turn.

Rohan being The Great Warrior of Legend feels like standard Red material. He goes through a small arc after realizing what that actually means, but it happens with no buildup over halfway through the show. Ivar’s quest for his kingdom’s chalice gets treated similarly. There’s a hint of Angus maybe betraying them that comes to nothing. Garret, their Tommy, appears, gets his armor, then disappears for eight or nine episodes, and when he shows up again they treat it like he never left. Then he leaves again until the finale. And... the list goes on. But the filler episodes are usually great, and the setting and mythology do a lot to help the fairly likable cast slog their way through the worst of it.

I don’t know if they had a new showrunner every few weeks or what. It would not be a surprise.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Get me Emma Lahana on the phone.

If they theoretically wanted to do a version of this I think Monica May would be the hardest to get since she lives in America and pretty actively tours as a burlesque dancer.

Can Z find time to be a mom between saving the world and a lucrative exotic dancing career? Find out next week on Power Rangers Super MILFForce

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Watching pr with a kid is great by the way. I highly recommend you have some kids.

Ninja Steel was probably do fun for me to watch because my kid would clap when the megazord destroyed the monsters, and when Ripcon or Galvanax got destroyed jump up and say "They destroyed him I can't believe it!" and fall for every red herring in the show.

Like I said earlier we started Mystic Force yesterday and only had time for the first episode but he was like "How can Nick become red ranger if he doesn't believe in magic?" It's just great watching with someone who has no cynicism and doesn't guess every plot coming a mile away.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Inkspot posted:

It’s better than you think, even if the show works against itself at almost every turn.

Rohan being The Great Warrior of Legend feels like standard Red material. He goes through a small arc after realizing what that actually means, but it happens with no buildup over halfway through the show. Ivar’s quest for his kingdom’s chalice gets treated similarly. There’s a hint of Angus maybe betraying them that comes to nothing. Garret, their Tommy, appears, gets his armor, then disappears for eight or nine episodes, and when he shows up again they treat it like he never left. Then he leaves again until the finale. And... the list goes on. But the filler episodes are usually great, and the setting and mythology do a lot to help the fairly likable cast slog their way through the worst of it.

I don’t know if they had a new showrunner every few weeks or what. It would not be a surprise.

Wasn't the show based on an actual Irish legend as well (albeit with several liberties taken with the characters)?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today on Power Rangers, I completely forgot it was Monday until now and I'm too stuck at work to make an image now.

Just pretend there's a cool vector image of the piano monster, Idunno.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
God bless Jason Narvey

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
JDF always looks like he's hunched and it's bothering me.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

More proof that Bulk and Skull are the best characters in the Zordon era.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Nao Nagasawa owns, btw. Not only is she pretty to look at, but while filming Hurricanger she tried to do as many of the in-costume stunts as was permitted.

If that doesn’t sound too exciting, consider how many Sentai actresses exist in a bubble of overprotective managers or are busy thinking of their next career move.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Craptacular! posted:

Nao Nagasawa owns, btw. Not only is she pretty to look at, but while filming Hurricanger she tried to do as many of the in-costume stunts as was permitted.

If that doesn’t sound too exciting, consider how many Sentai actresses exist in a bubble of overprotective managers or are busy thinking of their next career move.

OhPink was pretty notorious for this right?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Craptacular! posted:

She also can't stay out of Toku and has shown up in Fourze and W in addition to Gokaiger, the Deka reunion movie, and now this

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

RealFoxy posted:

She also can't stay out of Toku and has shown up in Fourze and W in addition to Gokaiger, the Deka reunion movie, and now this

She also voiced a monster in Akibaranger Season 2 (though not HurricaneBlue in the same episode for some reason).

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
A Power Rangers version of that Mum Rangers thing would be garbage because Saban would be too cowardly to give Vida a wife.

Sockser posted:

Can Z find time to be a mom between saving the world and a lucrative exotic dancing career? Find out next week on Power Rangers Super MILFForce

Z's mutant cloning power thing means she's the only one in-universe that wouldn't really have issues splitting up these duties, haha

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Box of Bunnies posted:

A Power Rangers version of that Mum Rangers thing would be garbage because Saban would be too cowardly to give Vida a wife.

Mum Rangers, you say?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1cqzkh

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Apparently one of the supporting characters on Bulk and Skull's show would have been a Mexican Elvis impersonator.

This completely explains Flabber.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
A show about Bulk and Skull working at a hotel would be perfect because that's the direction that The Golden Girls went in after Bea Arthur left, and they're the Blanche and Rose of Power Rangers anyway.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Inkspot posted:

I'm just left wondering if you knew all those names by memory or had to look them up.

I remember really liking the dragons. :) And laughing at how the three headed dragon fell from grace after he was defeated by powering up Pyre. Said powerup being Rohan sitting on that enormous hardly ever used saddle on his back after three episodes of getting their buts kicked by the three headed dragon.

Garret was so weird. They made a big deal of him joining and then he keeps leaving. Maybe it was a play on him being forest. Like a tree he kept leaving.

Rohan was indeed pretty standard Red Ranger material, though I seem to remember his arc being longer than what you're describing. But it's been ages since I saw it and I was a lot younger so that might be kid vision speaking.

Deirde was pretty standard princess, though she could kick rear end in that leather mini skirt.

I never liked Ivar much, his precence always bothered me as a kid. He received the lamest weapon in a bright blue (not to scale) toy trident. But he was a prince with responsibility but just keeps hanging out even after getting his chalice. Though I think he loses it again near the end?

I don't even remember Angus having an arc. :confused: I thought he was just there to be Rohan's friend.

Larryb posted:

Wasn't the show based on an actual Irish legend as well (albeit with several liberties taken with the characters)?
Some of the names are from Irish legend at least. Like the druid, the not Rita (Maeve?) and the evil fairy.
And possibly Rohan's legendary name as well, at least it sounded like it might be. I forgot what it was though.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Larryb posted:

This is a pretty good video about it by a goon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elOVzbmZ0dQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oh yeah, I've seen that come to think of it. The funny thing is, two of the major characters swapped roles in the show as in the myth Maeve was technically the heroine (even if it was basically a revenge plot) while the king was kind of an rear end in a top hat.

Obviously the rape and sexual objectification was getting cut but I'm not sure why they changed that particular aspect (possibly just to give the show a Rita-esque villain). Also, was there some behind the scenes reason why Garret kept disappearing for long stretches of time? The show did have its merits regardless and it's kind of a pity it never got a DVD release (in the west anyway).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Apr 17, 2018