Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

What's wrong with you

Horace vs. Steve Blackman gets so many buys from me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

MassRafTer posted:

Lex Luger was way more hosed than Jeff post WCW given WWF went as far to accuse him of killing Liz. Jeff at least had a dad to go halfies on a company with.

True.
But Luger also had one foot in the retirement village at this point so it's not like the event crippled his earning power.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Animal-Mother posted:

Who was DDP an rear end to? In WWF?

DDP was an rear end to Jericho when he left WCW for WWF.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Alex Wright is the only guy I can think of who fits the bill if he put on some muscle. He was only 26 when WCW died, and he came from a wrestling family, just WCW killed his desire to be in the business.

To the previous topic, obv.

Wright took some time off, but he started training and opened a wrestling school.

MassRafTer posted:

Lex Luger was way more hosed than Jeff post WCW given WWF went as far to accuse him of killing Liz. Jeff at least had a dad to go halfies on a company with.

Lex Luger died in 1999.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

exploded mummy posted:

Wright took some time off, but he started training and opened a wrestling school.

Lex Luger died in 1999.

"HE'S BECOMING THE TOTAL PACKAGE!"

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

Any chance you can add to this story? I remember it from way back when, and to be totally honest bought it hook, line and sinker as a young mark at the time, but now I don’t really recall much. Either the WWE version or the shoot.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Sandman McMahon posted:

Any chance you can add to this story? I remember it from way back when, and to be totally honest bought it hook, line and sinker as a young mark at the time, but now I don’t really recall much. Either the WWE version or the shoot.

WWE used to have a show called Confidential which was basically a fluff syndie show to make their stars seem more human by giving you a look at their lives. Occasionally they'd do more serious pieces and one of them was about the night Liz died, and they strongly implied that it was Lex's fault that she died because he gave her the poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5dnzNTikXU

I don't know if this is the whole segment but here you go.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

El Gallinero Gros posted:

WWE used to have a show called Confidential which was basically a fluff syndie show to make their stars seem more human by giving you a look at their lives. Occasionally they'd do more serious pieces and one of them was about the night Liz died, and they strongly implied that it was Lex's fault that she died because he gave her the poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5dnzNTikXU

I don't know if this is the whole segment but here you go.

SLAMBALL NEXT

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Man. Vince does that “shutdown sad” face in interviews a LOT.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Huh. I honestly remembere it as being worse, like they outright said “he loving did it.” Still though... that 911 call is a bummer to hear :(

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Realistically I think it's true that WWE probably wouldn't have had much more left to do with an ageing DDP going forward, but I'm still a little bummed out that we never got DDP vs Rock. :( I'm also going to assume (without any evidence) that The Rock would've been a bit more tolerant of the choreographing issue (at least, more tolerant than Taker was), given that he was now more or less a movie star first and a wrestler second.

As was said above I think Jericho was saved by virtue of being signed before WCW died, but that it was also advantageous for WWE to get a guy who they could say they had "saved" from WCW. I think the big difference between Jericho and Big Show, other than wrestling ability, was in how differently pushed both guys were in WCW; Big Show had always been pushed at the top of the card even during his first ever matches, so I imagine it was very simple for the tribal and uneasy WWE locker room to look at him and claim he was undeserving. Jericho had been wrestling everywhere and had been "misused" by WCW, so if it worked out with him then they could probably take a lot of the credit (and branding, etc.).

But then again that doesn't quite cover Big Show getting the WWE title within a year of debuting (albeit as one of the most transitional of transitional champions, feuding with The Big Boss Man of all people) or Jericho starting off by "disrespecting" WWE and breaking Chyna's fingers with a hammer. More likely than not I'm talking total bollocks.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'm not a fan of Jericho's stuff nowadays but his entire career was built from having great matches with whomever and whereever. WWE dropping him into the undercard after getting verbally destroyed by The Rock was one of their smarter longterm moves.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

coconono posted:

I'm not a fan of Jericho's stuff nowadays but his entire career was built from having great matches with whomever and whereever. WWE dropping him into the undercard after getting verbally destroyed by The Rock was one of their smarter longterm moves.

Him getting the WWF deal was built on character work and promos, not matches. His run with the cruiserweight title was one of his weakest in ring. I have no idea how making him a midcarder was smart long term, especially since if the Radicalz don't jump he's not having a ton of great matches in that midcard.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Realistically I think it's true that WWE probably wouldn't have had much more left to do with an ageing DDP going forward, but I'm still a little bummed out that we never got DDP vs Rock. :( I'm also going to assume (without any evidence) that The Rock would've been a bit more tolerant of the choreographing issue (at least, more tolerant than Taker was), given that he was now more or less a movie star first and a wrestler second.

As was said above I think Jericho was saved by virtue of being signed before WCW died, but that it was also advantageous for WWE to get a guy who they could say they had "saved" from WCW. I think the big difference between Jericho and Big Show, other than wrestling ability, was in how differently pushed both guys were in WCW; Big Show had always been pushed at the top of the card even during his first ever matches, so I imagine it was very simple for the tribal and uneasy WWE locker room to look at him and claim he was undeserving. Jericho had been wrestling everywhere and had been "misused" by WCW, so if it worked out with him then they could probably take a lot of the credit (and branding, etc.).

But then again that doesn't quite cover Big Show getting the WWE title within a year of debuting (albeit as one of the most transitional of transitional champions, feuding with The Big Boss Man of all people) or Jericho starting off by "disrespecting" WWE and breaking Chyna's fingers with a hammer. More likely than not I'm talking total bollocks.

Big Show was meant to be a super huge star and they got lost along the way. He was so big so it was easy to take short cuts, beat him and turn him and soon he wasn't really motivated and not that over.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Show shouldn't have lost until the next year's Wrestlemania, if at all possible.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Show was, to my untrained young eye, awesome in WCW, and never any good in the WWF. The chokeslam was like the greatest move ever for a short time and it helped that it was animated so well in WCW/NWO Revenge.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I remember thinking he came off as much more physically powerful in WCW. Was it Rey that he eliminated with one hand after pressing him for a several seconds?

His chokeslam also seemed to have a lot more oomph in WCW.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Randaconda posted:

Show shouldn't have lost until the next year's Wrestlemania, if at all possible.

I don't think too many of WWE's entrenched veterans were eager to lie down to the 27 year old dude fresh from the enemy.
Such a streak probably would have entailed beating the crap out of Foley for 6 months and not putting him anywhere near Austin or The Rock or HHH or probably The Undertaker.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 18, 2018

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

I don't think too many of WWE's entrenched veterans were eager to lie down to the 27 year old dude fresh from the enemy.

It also probably didn't help that the 27-year-old made everyone else in the locker room look tiny. Dudes who spend their lives working on building an impressive physique tend to be overly sensitive about being made to look like children.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Did Show look more menacing in WCW because of their smaller rings?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Did Show look more menacing in WCW because of their smaller rings?

Yes. The Giant hardly fit in those baby rings.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Also; the hair.
Show need Andre hair for full effect.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah Big Samp got Delilahed early in his run up north.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's hilarious because wasn't the whole reason Vince poached Show based around how WCW were loving him up and Vince knew how to promote a giant properly?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

There's something to be said about the career longevity and value of a man who has both the charisma to be a great face and the menace to be a great heel.
He would have been a great monster for a year or two.
He has been a great all-around swiss army knife of sports entertainment for a decade of two. Even if it eventually made it hard for the astute among the crowd to ever actually take him seriously as a real threat.
That having been said, if they ever release a Big Show DVD set they can probably skip the discs on matches. Mostly.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I still love the Giant/Lex Luger feud to death.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

ChrisBTY posted:

That having been said, if they ever release a Big Show DVD set they can probably skip the discs on matches. Mostly.

gently caress it, let's make a match listing. I bet we can get to at least 8 unique Big Show matches worth watching...

So uh...

--Giant v Hogan Sumo Monster Truck match Halloween Havoc 95
--Show v Lesnar Judgement Day 2003 Stretcher Match
--"The Showster" v Angle Backlash 2000
--Uhhhhhhh...Show & Kane's chain-wrestling match on RAW during the "May 19th" angle?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Shiki Dan posted:

gently caress it, let's make a match listing. I bet we can get to at least 8 unique Big Show matches worth watching...

So uh...

--Giant v Hogan Sumo Monster Truck match Halloween Havoc 95
--Show v Lesnar Judgement Day 2003 Stretcher Match
--"The Showster" v Angle Backlash 2000
--Uhhhhhhh...Show & Kane's chain-wrestling match on RAW during the "May 19th" angle?

Lex Luger v. The Giant, Starrcade 1996

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Big Show vs Undertaker had two really good matches in 08, the Floyd match is good for what it is, he had a couple good ones vs Braun and Jerishow had several really good matches. There's also the Show vs Flair ECW title match which was the only watchable match he had that year when his body was just destroyed.

Then there is the promo where he joins the nWo and tries to tell us about Hogan's big house for 15 minutes.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Needs the Undertaker story about biking in the desert

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

There's something to be said about the career longevity and value of a man who has both the charisma to be a great face and the menace to be a great heel.
He would have been a great monster for a year or two.
He has been a great all-around swiss army knife of sports entertainment for a decade of two. Even if it eventually made it hard for the astute among the crowd to ever actually take him seriously as a real threat.

I respectfully disagree, I can think of about a dozen genuinely good Big Show matches where he works hard. Here goes

Jeri-Show (c) vs Batista and Rey Mysterio, HIAC 2009 (yes everyone else is better but Show pulled his weight here)
The Big Show vs Brock Lesnar vs Kurt Angle, Vengeance 2003
D-Generation X vs Jeri-Show (c), Ladder Match for the WWE tag team championships, TLC 2009
The Big Show vs Sheamus(C), WWE HIAC 2012
The Big Show vs Roman Reigns, WWE Extreme Rules 2015
The Big Show (c) vs Ric Flair, Extreme Rules match for the ECW championship, ECW TV, 7/11/06
The Big Show vs Floyd "Money" Mayweather, WM 24
The Big Show vs Mark Henry vs Daniel Bryan (c), Steel Cage match for the World Heavyweight Championship, Royal Rumble 2012
The Big Show vs Braun Strowman, RAW 4/17/17
The Big Show vs Braun Strowman, Steel Cage match, RAW, 9/04/17
The Big Show vs JBL (c), Barbed Wire Cage Match for the World Heavyweight Title, No Way Out 2005
The Big Show vs Mankind, Boiler Room Brawl, WM 15, Winner gets to referee main event
The Big Show vs Mick Foley vs the Rock vs HHH (c), WWE Championship match WM 2000
The Big Show vs Eddie Guerrero (c), United States Title match, No Mercy 2003

There's also his match with Flair where Show wins his first world title in WCW, the match is sorta short but the finish is awesome. Flair decks Show with knucks and instead of going for the cover, slaps on the figure 4, but Show plays possum, Show essentially does a zombie sit-up which terrifies the poo poo out Ric and his menagerie of ladies, goozles Flair, chokeslams him, and wins. Shock and awe in the crowd. Also the :stare: sight of Goldberg getting him up for the jackhammer. And the multiple times they've done the "Show gets superplexed so hard it breaks the ring" spot, which always looks great.

Show's a dude who works pretty drat hard for a man his size. He deserves more credit.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 18, 2018

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Show vs Cody from WrestleMania is good too and a nice moment.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I will agree that Show worked as hard as a man that size can work without destroying his body and retiring by the age of 35.
I have either not seen any of those matches or I've seen them and don't remember them.

MassRafTer posted:

Show vs Cody from WrestleMania is good too and a nice moment.

That match I did watch and I agree it was a great moment.
Everything around this match sold me on what a good babyface Show was.
(It made his heel turn 3 months later easily my least-favorite Show turn even if they did go out-all on the Show monster heel thing...for a month)

Unfortunately I remember poo poo-all about the actual match.
TBF to Big Show I have been really, really jaded and impossible to please about wrestling matches for a really long time now. So maybe I should take that into consideration.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 18, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I always like when Show does something really out of the ordinary like oh hey Show just did a moonsault sure why not

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Endless Mike posted:

I always like when Show does something really out of the ordinary like oh hey Show just did a moonsault sure why not

It may be apocryphal, but my understanding is that Hogan and Co. told Show to knock that poo poo off in WCW and just leverage his size.
Sounds like lazy advice, but it probably added a solid decade to his career.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
One of my favorite things to watch on Youtube is a series called PopFiction which talks gaming urban legends, and every time I hear about Show doing moonsaults I feel like an investigation is in order similar to that where they need to talk to people who worked there at the Power Plant and maybe Show himself

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 18, 2018

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Big Show/Undertaker at No Mercy '08 is pretty drat good.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

El Gallinero Gros posted:

One of my favorite things to watch on Youtube is a series called PopFiction which talks gaming urban legends, and every time I hear about Show doing moonsaults I feel like an investigation is in order similar to that where they need to talk to people who worked there at the Power Plant and maybe Show himself

The best I've seen him do is a missile dropkick.
But if Vader and Bam-Bam could do it, why not Show?

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
beyond that you clearly haven't considered the unique rotational properties of an eight foot tall monster-man-monster, he might bump his wee noggin on the old MRSA mat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

I saw Goldberg vs Show as a dark main for a thunder taping in 1998 and holy poo poo did the crowd pop when he got him up for the jackhammer.

Also the dark opener of Super Dragon and Blitzkrieg vs American wild child and Hellraiser is worth watching. If the link doesn't work right it's 23 minutes 45 seconds for the start of the match

https://youtu.be/FNx9fPl8qSo?t=23m45s