Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Agile Vector posted:

i suppose in that sense the emergence of chromebooks (as a means to capture the edu market/new customers) is at least successful in reducing the cost of basic computers, but thats still solving first world problems since theyre even more dependent on infrastructure to function

chromebooks dont really cost much less than cheap windows laptops, and a decent grip of the sorts schools buy a lot of cost more than comparable windows laptops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I had a friend in college with one of the OLPC green machines; I think they had some Toms bogo thing at some point?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tesla-model-3/tesla-says-model-3-production-shut-down-temporarily-idUSKBN1HN347?il=0"

quote:

workers were expected to use vacation days or stay home without pay during the four- to five-day production pause.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

lol

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tesla-model-3/tesla-says-model-3-production-shut-down-temporarily-idUSKBN1HN347?il=0"

quote:

workers were expected to use vacation days or stay home without pay during the four- to five-day production pause.

at old job, when our office got moved, this is what they expected us to do.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

iirc even toyota pulled this trick with their temps/contractors (georgetown camry plant)

the temps at ford (louisville truck plant) were full union members and weren't jerked around like that though. if they were hired for a period of time they got paid for that period of time

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
yeah, just standard :capitalism:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

fishmech posted:

chromebooks dont really cost much less than cheap windows laptops, and a decent grip of the sorts schools buy a lot of cost more than comparable windows laptops.

thats touching on what i remember being one of the olpc sticking points; they also dont run software people want to learn (office software, for example), so those cheap windows laptops with some student office deal lead to marketable skills, while chromebooks lead to people that can use the suite of google products.

i mean sure ms has web versions but id guess those are more in name and basic than anything

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's not just "office software" that people are interested in -- it's Microsoft Office, full stop. people in uruguay or chad or cambodia are quite aware that the computer jobs all use Microsoft software and all the hairy goons claiming that LibreOffice is totally the same! don't exactly make a compelling case. especially when you can get windows and word for a few pesos from the guy at the night market

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Agile Vector posted:

thats touching on what i remember being one of the olpc sticking points; they also dont run software people want to learn (office software, for example), so those cheap windows laptops with some student office deal lead to marketable skills, while chromebooks lead to people that can use the suite of google products.
this was the real killer for olpc. developing countries wanted to spend their scarce dollars on technology that works with the rest of the world (namely windows and office) not some weird off brand lunix variant with zero native software support

they want to bring their kids into the global technological mainstream not strand them in some weird techno ghetto for poors marked "sugar/mesh"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also they want running water and power and schools

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the same thing happened with the tata nano, the $1500 car in india. it's a brilliant piece of engineering -- not a fantastic car, but a hell of an achievement -- but, shockingly, people don't want to be seen in The Cheapest Car On The Planet. they would rather continue to ride motorcycles until they can get a Real Car with a radio and a trunk that opens from outside and a fuel filler that's not inside the engine bay, like the rest of the world drives.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Shaggar posted:

that too

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shaggar posted:

you can want two things

i'm sure the olpc people would have gotten plenty more takers if they were airdropping cheap dells instead

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Sagebrush posted:

the same thing happened with the tata nano, the $1500 car in india. it's a brilliant piece of engineering -- not a fantastic car, but a hell of an achievement -- but, shockingly, people don't want to be seen in The Cheapest Car On The Planet. they would rather continue to ride motorcycles until they can get a Real Car with a radio and a trunk that opens from outside and a fuel filler that's not inside the engine bay, like the rest of the world drives.

just slap a Jaguar logo on it

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

JawnV6 posted:

just slap a Tesla logo on it

FTFY

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

you can want two things

i'm sure the olpc people would have gotten plenty more takers if they were airdropping cheap dells instead

didn't they try that

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ate all the Oreos posted:

didn't they try that

IIRC MS was willing to do something akin to this (to try to cut down on piracy and botnetting I guess?) but I think the OLPC people went all :rms2: on them?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
In 2008 Microsoft did start providing licenses for Windows XP for the OLPC project and a bunch were deployed running that with ports of the special OLPC apps. Those models with it were kinda popular but it was also the point where similar capability regular laptops from china or whatever were really pushing down margins with netbooks being big, so it didnt get too big

a bunch of olpc supporters got mad about it and left the project but the olpc project continued to do it

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Bhodi posted:

yeah, just standard :capitalism:

yup nothing out of the ordinary here for american capitalism

i had a friend who got a job fresh out of college with the contractor that makes nasa’s spacesuits and he always complained when the production line shut down once a year in october or something and the company mandated that all the employees spend about a third of their yearly vacation days on that shutdown

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
my company does a shutdown week between xmas and new year's. so you get like 4 working days off with pay, but you only get them if you have been with the company for at least a year. otherwise it's 1 day per quarter you've worked there. it's kinda annoying because we'll hire people toward the end of the year, and they hear about the holiday week and get excited, and we have to remind them that oh actually you don't get those days and in fact you're probably gonna need to take unpaid time off because you haven't accumulated enough pto yet sorry :(

e: you are not allowed to just work the days anyway (even though this would be possible in almost all cases). the office is shut down

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

my company does a shutdown week between xmas and new year's. so you get like 4 working days off with pay, but you only get them if you have been with the company for at least a year. otherwise it's 1 day per quarter you've worked there. it's kinda annoying because we'll hire people toward the end of the year, and they hear about the holiday week and get excited, and we have to remind them that oh actually you don't get those days and in fact you're probably gonna need to take unpaid time off because you haven't accumulated enough pto yet sorry :(

due to the new tax cuts, our company has saved a bazillian dollars. here's your one time $1000 bonus check. only if you've been here for 20 years and have never taken a day off. your welcome.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

DELETE CASCADE posted:

e: you are not allowed to just work the days anyway (even though this would be possible in almost all cases). the office is shut down

they don't even let people borrow pto for it? lame as hell

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i'm not sure if adp will even let us have a negative pto balance

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

DELETE CASCADE posted:

my company did this for years, so the standard package was two weeks vacation plus the free week. then they converted to pto, so they gave us another week to substitute for lost sick time.

and then they started offering all new hires two weeks. ten days. six days of which were mandatory off time in the holidays.

and i had five weeks thanks to grandfathering and seniority.

lol :capitalism:

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

lol i had to look this up but apparently our pto accrual is 96 hours/year for < 2 years of service, so that's 12 days. then for 2-10 years it's 15 days. 10+ years get 20 days. this is not including the holiday week

we also have 3 sick days that are counted separate from pto, i'm not sure if this is a california law thing?

there have been several instances where people saved up their 3 weeks and combined with the holiday week to take all of december off and go back to india or china or wherever. management does not like this one bit

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

try academia on for size! i only have to come in to work about 10 months of the year.

(and i get paid like it too)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

try academia on for size! i effectively only work 10 months of the year.

(and i get paid like it too)

lol if you don’t find funding for summer salary

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i get paid in the summer, just that i could probably be making like double my current rate if i switched to industry.

decisions decisions

VVV yeah i rephrased it

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i did try academia and my experience as a grad student was that the supposed vacation time between undergrad instruction periods was actually when the majority of research work got done

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Sagebrush posted:

I would totally buy a nano if they offered it here; seems like the ultimate city car (so long as you don't get in a wreck)

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

DELETE CASCADE posted:

there have been several instances where people saved up their 3 weeks and combined with the holiday week to take all of december off and go back to india or china or wherever. management does not like this one bit

this is lame and stupid since that is the only way to make a trip home reasonable due to at least a week being used to travel

we have a generous vacation policy and several coworkers use it this way and it's fine, some try to work remotely to spread the time longer and not affect projects if their manager is cool with it (some are). one guy had to travel to India twice in a year to prepare for and then have his wedding so it would have been nearly impossible otherwise

were also not primarily a tech company despite our tech being massive so we're both insulated against some of the more hostile vacation trends and stuck in some legacy industry practices

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

DELETE CASCADE posted:

lol i had to look this up but apparently our pto accrual is 96 hours/year for < 2 years of service, so that's 12 days. then for 2-10 years it's 15 days. 10+ years get 20 days. this is not including the holiday week

we also have 3 sick days that are counted separate from pto, i'm not sure if this is a california law thing?

I'm surprised you actually get separate sick time. Modern companies are trying to kill vacations/sick time by merging them together under the guise of 'freedom!'.
My job sucks but the benefits haven't changed in decades. 4 weeks vacation, 8 sick days a year, 4 'personal' days(meaning I can call in and say that I really don't feel like working 4 times a year). Probably because my company is Japanese.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Peachfart posted:

I'm surprised you actually get separate sick time. Modern companies are trying to kill vacations/sick time by merging them together under the guise of 'freedom!'.
My job sucks but the benefits haven't changed in decades. 4 weeks vacation, 8 sick days a year, 4 'personal' days(meaning I can call in and say that I really don't feel like working 4 times a year). Probably because my company is Japanese.

my last job you had to work 10 years before you were given 4 weeks vacation, and then it capped out. they rolled sick days and personal days into one group, and you were allowed 24 hours. hope you don't actually get sick, lol

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
Anything less than 15 vacation days and 10 sick days is unconscionable.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
i was especially pissed about the OLPC deal with microsoft in light of their earlier holier-than-thou attitude about telling Apple and their free OSX licenses to gently caress off

a bunch of ruggedized mac clones that could run stock Office and other commercial software while shipping with a full unix environment would have been a way better compromise than the world's shittiest windows xp netbooks

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Internet Janitor posted:

i was especially pissed about the OLPC deal with microsoft in light of their earlier holier-than-thou attitude about telling Apple and their free OSX licenses to gently caress off

a bunch of ruggedized mac clones that could run stock Office and other commercial software while shipping with a full unix environment would have been a way better compromise than the world's shittiest windows xp netbooks

lol os x loving sucks and inflicting that on the third world would be a war crime

the linux was already at least a minor crime but os x would be the full hitler

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

world's shittiest netbooks couldn't run osx office either though

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I lost 3 vacation days but gained 7 sick days in my job switch. 12 of each now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

unless your employer expects some kind of doctor's letter, sick days are just vacation days that don't roll over