Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Finally caught up on Warmaster. That's an abrupt ending even for Abnett :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

Finally caught up on Warmaster. That's an abrupt ending even for Abnett :stare:

He`s a wily ol` fucker for sure.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The trouble is that the pacing for Warmaster is pitch perfect. It just ends two thirds of the way through the story. But those two thirds that make up the whole book are excellent.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, that's it exactly. It seems like he skipped the normal "and now Gaunt saves the day" part of the story and the book just ended.

Of course now I'm doing the IRL equivalent of :f5: until the next one comes out so job done.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I just finished Know No Fear and really liked it. I hadn't read anything from Black Library but was fine just knowing the basic timeline of the horus heresy and major players. Now I really want to paint up some mark iii and mark iv armor ultramarines and word bearers.

I'm reading the first Eisenhorn book next but will probably want to continue with Horus Heresy afterwards.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah I really liked Warmaster, though some of the twists were a bit cliche.

When is the next Pariah book coming?

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

Immanentized posted:

Anybody listen to any of the agents of the throne audio dramas? Are they well produced?

Yeah, I've listened to both - quite good. I preferred the first, but they're both decent listens. The characters are fun, and there's some good Inquisitorial shenanigans.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah I really liked Warmaster, though some of the twists were a bit cliche.

When is the next Pariah book coming?

More importantly, when are they reprinting Pariah for those of us that missed the first print run?
I’m kind of surprised it didn’t get a reprint when Magos came out.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Booyah- posted:

I just finished Know No Fear and really liked it. I hadn't read anything from Black Library but was fine just knowing the basic timeline of the horus heresy and major players. Now I really want to paint up some mark iii and mark iv armor ultramarines and word bearers.

I'm reading the first Eisenhorn book next but will probably want to continue with Horus Heresy afterwards.

If you liked Know No Fear, for the Heresy the books you want next are The First Heretic and Betrayer. One takes place before KNF, the other after, and together those three are the Word Bearers books (with Betrayer doing double duty as the main World Eaters book).

The other Heresy books I'd recommend:

Horus Rising - first book in the series and start of a trilogy centered on the Luna Wolves.

Legion - the Alpha Legion book, I don't like it but lots of folks do so YMMV.

Prospero Burns - the Space Wolves book, recommended even if you don't like the Wolves in 40k, they're quite different here. Also Eaters of the Dead in space.

A Thousand Sons - the Thousand Sons book, and companion to Prospero Burns. Generally considered worse, but I liked it. Also has the only LGBT character of note to date in the Heresy novels that I've read.

Mechanicum - the AdMech book, also has some Necron stuff if that's your gig.

Scars - the White Scars book, and a solid entry from a new author.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Wait, what Necron stuff was in Mechanicum?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Cythereal posted:

If you liked Know No Fear, for the Heresy the books you want next are The First Heretic and Betrayer. One takes place before KNF, the other after, and together those three are the Word Bearers books (with Betrayer doing double duty as the main World Eaters book).

The other Heresy books I'd recommend:

Horus Rising - first book in the series and start of a trilogy centered on the Luna Wolves.

Legion - the Alpha Legion book, I don't like it but lots of folks do so YMMV.

Prospero Burns - the Space Wolves book, recommended even if you don't like the Wolves in 40k, they're quite different here. Also Eaters of the Dead in space.

A Thousand Sons - the Thousand Sons book, and companion to Prospero Burns. Generally considered worse, but I liked it. Also has the only LGBT character of note to date in the Heresy novels that I've read.

Mechanicum - the AdMech book, also has some Necron stuff if that's your gig.

Scars - the White Scars book, and a solid entry from a new author.

Awesome, thanks for this! I'll check out Mechanicum and The First Heretic. Can I read just Horus Rising or do I really need to commit to the full trilogy that book starts?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Xenomrph posted:

Wait, what Necron stuff was in Mechanicum?
Probably the whole Void Dragon (?) thing. Which is only very technically Necron-related, really.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
There have been a few hints that some high level magos are actually Necrons pretending to be ex-humans.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

There have been a few hints that some high level magos are actually Necrons pretending to be ex-humans.

Whaaaaat

I want to know more this has gone way over my head

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Some of it's in the Games Day exclusive short story books from, IIRC, 2012 or 2013? I dunno where I put them so I can't check now.

ETA: TL;DR version: some explorator dudes are investigating a tomb with skitarii, and they start getting horror movie killed one by one. Last explorator alive realises that one of the team was a Flayed One all along when it gloats while killing him, implying that the AdMech is fully infiltrated.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Booyah- posted:

Awesome, thanks for this! I'll check out Mechanicum and The First Heretic. Can I read just Horus Rising or do I really need to commit to the full trilogy that book starts?

You can just read Horus Rising - it's the Luna Wolves and Horus encountering daemons for the first time and seeing the roots of why Horus fell. The second book, False Gods, is about Horus' fall and is a boring lovely book. The third, Galaxy in Flames, is the first of many books depicting Istvaan.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Arquinsiel posted:

Some of it's in the Games Day exclusive short story books from, IIRC, 2012 or 2013? I dunno where I put them so I can't check now.

ETA: TL;DR version: some explorator dudes are investigating a tomb with skitarii, and they start getting horror movie killed one by one. Last explorator alive realises that one of the team was a Flayed One all along when it gloats while killing him, implying that the AdMech is fully infiltrated.

2013 is pre Necron backstory reboot, isn’t it?

I mean not that it makes a difference, I’m just curious.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Xenomrph posted:

2013 is pre Necron backstory reboot, isn’t it?

I mean not that it makes a difference, I’m just curious.

Yep. There's also a few other Necron references here and there in 40k, Loken in Horus Rising briefly tells a story about exploring what sure as hell sounds like a Necron tomb world, for example, and IIRC in the tabletop rules it's implied that Alpharius' spear is of Necron origin.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There's also the Callidus phase blades, which I think was the first time we saw "C'tan" in 40k.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Are the Callidus assassins the psychic blanks? I think they got tied into the Necron Pariahs, pre Necron reboot (where the Pariahs ceased to exist).

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
No, Culexus are the blanks. Callidus are the shapeshifters.

And their phase blades are absolutely Necron tech. There's a story somewhere about a Callidus trying to assassinate a governor who actually turns out to be a C'Tan in disguise. Her phase blade is absorbed, and described as a "small piece returning home"

While it's not been pointed out anywhere to the best of my knowledge, a Callidus Neural Shredder seems suspiciously like a more crude version of the weapon used by Necron Deathmarks, the Synaptic Disintigrator.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
To be fair though, the Calidus also predates Necrons entirely, and back then the Cadian Gate was a literal gate that let you into the hollow planet Cadia which was full of C'tan gubbinz and AdMech eating monsters.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Oh sure.
I do like that they kept the connections to the necrons after their revamp, and that they made them a bit more subtle. Like giving Deathmarks a more advanced and refined version of the Callidus pistol.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Groetgaffel posted:

Oh sure.
I do like that they kept the connections to the necrons after their revamp, and that they made them a bit more subtle. Like giving Deathmarks a more advanced and refined version of the Callidus pistol.

The Newcrons also got literal lightning guns in the form of tesla weapons. Shortly afterwards the AdMech got codices with their own lightning guns in the form of arc guns and galvanic guns...

Then again, the AdMech in 30k are also toting around either reverse-engineered Dark Eldar weapons (and the Alpha Legion sure as hell are), or they discovered/recovered weapons that work on the same principle as dark lances.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 17, 2018

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Today I finished Battle for the Abyss. It was indeed badly written and felt pretty pointless overall. The only real entertainment I derived from it was the result of reading one particular line as if it was referring to a penis, although that perhaps says as much about me as it does about the book.

I also finished Mechanicum, which wasn’t as bad but didn’t particularly rock my world either. The man’s prose always seems to get in the way for me, though to his credit he writes augmented beings like tech-priests fairly well – the more mundane/human characters all just felt kind of flat. Not the worst HH novel I’ve read so far, but certainly not the best either.

Next up: Fallen Angels and A Thousand Sons!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MMAgCh posted:

Fallen Angel is maybe ok, but Thousand Sons is a great intro to Prospero Burns, and decent in its own right,

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

MMAgCh posted:

Today I finished Battle for the Abyss. It was indeed badly written and felt pretty pointless overall. The only real entertainment I derived from it was the result of reading one particular line as if it was referring to a penis, although that perhaps says as much about me as it does about the book.

I also finished Mechanicum, which wasn’t as bad but didn’t particularly rock my world either. The man’s prose always seems to get in the way for me, though to his credit he writes augmented beings like tech-priests fairly well – the more mundane/human characters all just felt kind of flat. Not the worst HH novel I’ve read so far, but certainly not the best either.

Listen don't read all the books many are bad. Skip outcast dead at least for the love of god

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Waroduce posted:

Listen don't read all the books many are bad. Skip outcast dead at least for the love of god

If they can read Abyss, they can read anything.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

I've read through all the Horus Heresy books without any exception. Pretty sure I didn't get any drain bamage from it.

Don't do it, it's not worth it. Maybe if you have an incredible tolerance for garbage and :filez: the books, but probably not even then.

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

If they can read Abyss, they can read anything.

I definitely agree with this. Previous to Abyss, I had read Siege of Castellax and Commissar, so I felt like I could take a bad book in stride.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Well, if you ask me, Nemesis is worse.

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
I've read everything by Abnett and ADB now, help me find the next best author they have.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Bang3r posted:

I've read everything by Abnett and ADB now, help me find the next best author they have.

The dude who wrote scars

Chris wright or something

Also the of Mars series is real good. Also you should read eye of terror as a fun one off it feels like ancient warhammer. Or a dnd adventure in warhammer world. Do a shot of Chaos in a space cantina

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Graham McNeil's Mechanicus books. His ultramarines stuff is meh, but he knows how to write robot men.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Groetgaffel posted:

That's because it truly is.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

What should I read after finishing eisenhorn, fifteen hours, and banblade?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Groetgaffel posted:

Nemesis is at least conceptually great.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Bang3r posted:

The dude who writes the Caiaphas Cain books. He has a girl's name. Sandi something, I think.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Libluini posted:

The dude who writes the Caiaphas Cain books. He has a girl's name. Sandi something, I think.

Sandy Mitchell, they're well made, if slightly repetitive. I'll defend it though. As it fits the style of a written memoir by a person who spent their life writing military reports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

What was the book about an inquisitor on terra? I think people said it had more stuff about average life in the imperium like the Eisenhorn and Ravenor books