Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

borf
Apr 5, 2006
I just started over the weekend, and am trying to get my bard on. What's a common skill pairing for bard? Using a weapon takes away my horn or lute, and both seem real good to have for both songs and direct damage. So I'm trying psych with it as I work on getting favor for mentalism. Seems to work ok I guess, but my damage doesn't seem great and I run out of mana if there's two or more mobs. I'm thinking that it's just because my gear is poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

borf posted:

I just started over the weekend, and am trying to get my bard on. What's a common skill pairing for bard? Using a weapon takes away my horn or lute, and both seem real good to have for both songs and direct damage. So I'm trying psych with it as I work on getting favor for mentalism. Seems to work ok I guess, but my damage doesn't seem great and I run out of mana if there's two or more mobs. I'm thinking that it's just because my gear is poo poo?

Gear's a thing, but also you just will run out of energy if there's two or more MOBs. Take a breather between kills, and practice pulling so that you only get one at a time.

borf
Apr 5, 2006

Conskill posted:

Gear's a thing, but also you just will run out of energy if there's two or more MOBs. Take a breather between kills, and practice pulling so that you only get one at a time.

Yeah I'm born of the EQ pulling mentality. Just wanted to make sure this is "how it is" at early levels and I'm not missing some key mechanic or something. Thanks.
Also, many things seem immune to psychology. Do all the damage types run into this problem somewhere?

borf fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 10, 2018

Conskill
May 7, 2007

borf posted:

Yeah I'm born of the EQ pulling mentality. Just wanted to make sure this is "how it is" at early levels and I'm not missing some key mechanic or something. Thanks.
Also, many things seem immune to psychology. Do all the damage types run into this problem somewhere?

There's some cooldowns you can use to extend your longevity in combat. Raising your Survival skill gets you the main one, while Mentalism and Psychology both have different flavors of +power. But yeah, my experience has always been that you're gonna bleed power pretty heavily 1v1 when solo, and 1v2 is doable if I blow my power cooldowns.

Some damage types are nicer to have than others. Fire and Psychic both get resisted/immune a lot, which is sad because both have an entire skill dedicated to them. Psychology is probably more useful in a solo situation, but Mentalism has a deeper variety of damage types and excellent group support.

borf
Apr 5, 2006
Ok, sounds like I'm on the right path then. I'll keep buttering up the chill meditation guy and check out mentalism next. Thanks guys.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Inimicul posted:

That's really odd. Unless they nerfed the regular grimalkin, I've found their DPS to be really high. Is it the same level as your bear?

I searched for Hissy forever and never did find that rare spawn motherfucker.

Yeah, I was full of poo poo!

The regular grimalkin that I got was well over 500 health and armor at bond level 40. It's pretty ok compared to bear after all.

Also, last thing I did yesterday before sleep was another futile romp around Ilmari desert and I found Hissy! Woo. Hissy was surrounded by gravestones so I assume other people had given it a try too. My first attempt ended up with a gravestone too cause that fucker hits hard. Second attempt I had my grimalkin up and tanking. Taming takes 20 seconds and my grimalkin died after tanking 15 seconds. I disbanded the corpse and managed to live that whopping 5 seconds to get Hissy. I'm not actually sure if you can tame a pet if you have your current pet up, which is why I tried to tame without pet the first time.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
You were right. You can't tame with an AH pet already up. Pets from other classes are just fine though. I'm glad the timing went well. Another thing you can do is swap to AH / Psych before the fight and you can 'Mother it for a few extra seconds.

headspace
Apr 25, 2014

borf posted:

The answer to skill pairings when you are worried about what you can equip is always unarmed. Mentalism and Psychology are for low rent newbs. No matter what you have equipped you can still headbutt and body slam. Ditch the cerebral pussy skills, and go loving bodyslam some loving goblins.

On a more serious note regarding energy, are you making sure you are eating? Better gear will help, as well as just leveling up the skills.

headspace fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 12, 2018

Conskill
May 7, 2007

headspace posted:

The answer to skill pairings when you are worried about what you can equip is always unarmed. Mentalism and Psychology are for low rent newbs. No matter what you have equipped you can still headbutt and body slam. Ditch the cerebral pussy skills, and go loving bodyslam some loving goblins.

Alternately, be a werewolf and then take Mentalism or Psychology to demonstrate you are a sophisticated, worldly ravening monster.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

My boss looked me strangely because I reserved a day off. I told him it's because of full moon.

moon hype rising

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

So uh, how exactly can you deal with the cold in Gazluk? Carrying around dozens of emergency campfires seems like a really clunky solution if you wanna exp there. I just visited it yesterday and while it'd be a great place to grind otherwise, it's like three times colder than Kur. So far the old Prestonbule ruins are the only place you can warm up in, but there's not much except those drat ghosts there. The ghosts are nice exp but loot sucks.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Are you wearing a full suit of winter gear? There's a lot of leatherworking winter recipes that are pretty decent.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Yeah, a full set of weather gear will double your meter. After that, two other things to consider are cold resist buffs (some skills get them natively, such as winter wolf for lycans and cold resist for fire magic), and speed buffs to get around quicker.

I haven't tried Gazluk yet, but between the three Kur is now a very casual experience.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

I use winter chest, gloves and hat which put me to 110. Legs goes to inventory slotter skirt and on feet I prefer the +2 sprint speed boots. The meter just ticks down so damned fast in Gazluk. I'm also lycanthrope but the winter fur doesn't really help. Fur only gives +5 cold mitigation, which doesn't seem to affect how fast body heat goes down.

Not sure about fire (or ice?) magic then, I haven't gotten around to use that.

Some dude with stall next to Serb forge is often selling leatherworking winter gear but iirc that has a tiny bit less body temp than the barter set from Kur.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I felt like the whole winter/desert zone mechanic needed another look at.

Kur, a skill level 30-40 zone, you're thrown into a winter mechanic where no cold resist means you're dead in a couple minutes. You get a little cold resist from potions, blankets, or a decent chunk from fire skill or a polar bear pet's special ability (animal handling), but the bulk comes from gear, which you can get from other players, mob drops in dungeons, a couple quests have some, and there's a guy who will trade certain drops/craft items for gear with cold resist. Until then, you can hop from campfire to campfire, which really sucks. Bring some wood.

Ilmari, a skill level 40-50 zone, has a desert mechanic that isn't nearly as bad. You have a thirst meter that slowly trickles down, which you can replenish by drinking a bottle of water. It's so slow, you can walk from one end of the zone to the other before needing a sip or two. If the meter hits 0, your only penalty is reduced to walking. You can fill up your bottles in town or at either of the two oases. Oddly, you can't drink straight from the water, nor do you replenish when swimming.

I didn't get a chance to see Gazluk but if the winter mechanic is worse than Kur, I'm glad I stopped playing.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

I must say that the small explorer inside me is thrilled about these hostile extreme weather zones though. Of course part of it is that the game is still relatively early in development but exploring Gazluk feels great. It's a huge remote hostile freezing shithole without a single other player in sight, except one that I saw in New Prestonbule cave. I'm gonna miss that lonely exploration feeling 15 years from now when PG finally releases, the weather has been nerfed to nothing and the place is filled to the brim with other players grinding down every snowcow.

headspace
Apr 25, 2014
Yeah, the cold weather mechanic is horseshit. The game is fun in spite of it, not because of it. The dude spent god knows how much time creating Gazluk and no one ever plays there because of his spergy cold weather effects.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
It is kind of frustrating but also kind of cool because you don't see stuff like that in other games. Having unique stuff seems to be this game's MO so it fits.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Ort posted:

It is kind of frustrating but also kind of cool because you don't see stuff like that in other games. Having unique stuff seems to be this game's MO so it fits.

I never made it that far when the game was free, been thinking of picking it back up, but that sounds very similar to the cold weather effect in Breath of the Wild.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I loved Ultima Online and Guild Wars 1, but hated WoW and GW2. Am I going to like this game if I buy it? (The early posts / details are from two years ago, so I don't really know how representative they are anymore.)

VVV Yeah, I figured they weren't even remotely comparable but I figured I had to give something as a basis of comparison. "Hey, read my mind and tell me whether this game will appeal to me" doesn't scan quite as well.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 17, 2018

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I loved gw1 and like this game but they're not similar by any means

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Sundae posted:

I loved Ultima Online and Guild Wars 1, but hated WoW and GW2. Am I going to like this game if I buy it? (The early posts / details are from two years ago, so I don't really know how representative they are anymore.)

Dunno, this game definitely has an oldschool mmorpg soul. The other day I was just thinking how much playing PG "felt" like playing EQ1 back in 2000 or something. If you had a rockhard boner for UO from pve perspective I'd wager you like PG. Important to note is that there is no actual pvp in PG unlike UO. PG has some kind of arena island somewhere I think but I've never seen it, just heard it mentioned a time or two.

I've been leveling mentalism while waiting for full moon and it's actually fun after you get your damage skills from Mu, especially pain bubble. Pain bubble is fun to toss around, it shields your enemy from all damage for a few seconds or a set threshold and then expires popping the enemy for ~double damage it would've taken while bubble is on. It's a satisfying spike in damage. Lower levels felt like being a buffbot with only couple attack skills but I'm glad that turned around.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Only caveat I'd give to Pain Bubble is that it fires for Psychic damage regardless of what type of damage you'd be doing otherwise. This isn't categorically bad, but it's a reminder to mind the resistances and immunities of whatever you're fighting.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
The only real comparison this game had was Asheron's Call and that game died last year.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

headspace posted:

Yeah, the cold weather mechanic is horseshit. The game is fun in spite of it, not because of it. The dude spent god knows how much time creating Gazluk and no one ever plays there because of his spergy cold weather effects.

I think one good way to deal with this would be letting carpenters create similar firepits that exist in Kur, ones you have to feed wood to. Lets say carpenter plops down a firepit, give it a lifespan of 10 minutes after which it despawns unless you add wood. Kur firepits are quite generous when it comes to firepit lifespan per wood fed. I think a cedar wood piece adds like 2.5 hours and cedar is found all over.

That would let you create nice grinding / exping spots where you wish. Gazluk body heat could still be tuned a bit down tho.

headspace
Apr 25, 2014

Fewd posted:

I think one good way to deal with this would be letting carpenters create similar firepits that exist in Kur, ones you have to feed wood to. Lets say carpenter plops down a firepit, give it a lifespan of 10 minutes after which it despawns unless you add wood. Kur firepits are quite generous when it comes to firepit lifespan per wood fed. I think a cedar wood piece adds like 2.5 hours and cedar is found all over.

That would let you create nice grinding / exping spots where you wish. Gazluk body heat could still be tuned a bit down tho.

yeah any way to make it something you need to pay attention too, but not completely overpowering. Right now it dominates the experience in Gazluk, and all the cool subtleties of the zone get missed.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Sundae posted:

Am I going to like this game if I buy it?

Yeah, I installed it, played for two hours, found it wasn't my cup of tea and refunded it through Steam. I'll keep looking for other games, have fun folks. :)

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Think I wanna try this but it really doesn't feel worth the 40 nostalgia bucks

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Mr. Pickles posted:

I'm sure it'll be on sale at some point. If not the Summer Sale, the Winter Sale.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'm digging lycanthropy to the point that, after loving about with a few other weapons. I think I might actually want to spend time doing it. I was told by the (probably unreliable) global chat that lycanthropy can be a cool/viable solo build if 'built right' so I'm kinda wondering what 'right' means. Right now I"m using psychology at the same time and absolutely none of my gear has lycanthropy OR psychology bonuses, but hey I'm not even level 20 yet so it doesn't matter so far.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Normally I'd suggest wearing that one easy to get base set, I forget its name, but it has insanely high armor values and some elemental vulnerability. It's great for newbies and lasts until like 30 when you actually need skill bonuses from armor, but I don't think there's a lycanthrope version.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
knight's armor

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
Goon guild?

After reading the last ten or so pages, I get the impression that there aren't a ton of goons on at any one time. My IGN is Helmholz. Send me an invite if you see me!

Flavor Truck fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 22, 2018

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

There's apparently some reddit version of A/T today, maybe something interesting comes out of it. Or maybe not.

Flavor Truck posted:

Goon guild?

After reading the last ten or so pages, I get the impression that there aren't a ton of goons on at any one time. My IGN is Helmholz. Send me an invite if you see me!

The guild sign in Serbule shows last logins and the goon guild was completely dead when I checked it weeks back. I left it to join something else with a bit more activity.

Agent355 posted:

I'm digging lycanthropy to the point that, after loving about with a few other weapons. I think I might actually want to spend time doing it. I was told by the (probably unreliable) global chat that lycanthropy can be a cool/viable solo build if 'built right' so I'm kinda wondering what 'right' means. Right now I"m using psychology at the same time and absolutely none of my gear has lycanthropy OR psychology bonuses, but hey I'm not even level 20 yet so it doesn't matter so far.

I'm still prioritizing sprint speed and inventory size over anything else at 60+. Armor and health are nice but those are not really needed except as swap gear when you go into a dungeon or do otherwise harder content. Some easy sprint speed items that come to mind are +2 on boots (windswept boots I think), jaunty traiping amulet and ring for +1 and +1 enchant on pants. If you got some extra cash, I recall there being a dude in the southernmost vendor stall room who's selling 20something inventory size +1 sprint speed pants for 18k. Totally worth it.

Jamcreek
Apr 18, 2018
This game looks interesting enough.

I basically grew up in Asherons call and been looking for a simillar game to fill the void since AC was shutdown.

My main concern with this game is the player population. Is it even a decent amount of players online?

Or will i for the most of my time wander around in a empty world?

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Yeah, I keep seeing people wherever I go. In the Serbule zone at least. Haven't gone much farther out.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Good mid-level exping spots are crumbling under overpopulation at prime times.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I browsed the A/T and saw that housing development is set to start soon, which is the exact thing I was in the mood for that made me take a long break and go do poo poo like join an SWG private server instead. So it looks like I'll be coming back. :toot: I love that Steam grabs each patch now so I won't have to wait an eternity to catch up on 'em.

I see people saying the combat areas are almost obnoxiously packed; how is the crafting/gathering/item economy doing? Lots of supply? I was always looking forward to it becoming easier and easier to just go down and buy whatever from the skills I don't want to level myself.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Mr. Pickles posted:

PG stands on is own foot and dont depend on nostalgia. It provide a experience that is lost to this world and is a good experience. Maybe the current price is a bit too much, throught.

Tei fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamcreek
Apr 18, 2018

Line Feed posted:

Yeah, I keep seeing people wherever I go. In the Serbule zone at least. Haven't gone much farther out.

oh okay then! maybe i will give this a go in the near future then!