Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Penpal posted:

Lapti Nek is not jizz, they sound nothing alike, jesus.

Well well well the arbiter of what is and isn’t jizz has graced us with their presence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Penpal posted:

Wake me up when a droid uses the force in a star wars movie

UNLIMITED POWER!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Robot Style posted:

It's there as kind of a jokey subtext, but yeah it's not what the movies are "about". Artoo and Threepio are based on the peasants from The Hidden Fortress because Lucas thought it would be fun to tell the story from the perspective of the lowest characters, Threepio is elevated to the level of a god by the Ewoks as a gag, and Obi-Wan quips about droids killing everyone if they could ever think for themselves. The joke is paid off later in the move when hundreds of droids (including C-3PO) start blowing away Jedi en masse.

Different movies can be "about" different things. Shifting focus towards an element of Star Wars that has been there from almost the first scene is entirely in the wheelhouse of cashgrab sidestory projects that would otherwise have nothing of value to contribute.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The goofy sidekick droid's liberation schtick in the young han solo movie is going to be played for laughs. Just like mindwiping C3PO or brainwashing K2 to murder his former comrades.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
L3-37 eh.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
L3-37 gets blown up with only a small piece of her surviving, which a bald man volunteers to have wired into his shiny head.

Calling​ it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

What am I missing with the name "L3-37"?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Davros1 posted:

I envy you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Davros1 posted:

Gonna frame this.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Her brain is going to go into the Falcon or Cloud City. Probably the Falcon so there's a line about "a little bit of personality is going to be in the ship's computer now...good luck". This also allows them to add the infamous "Lando air-humps the Falcon" seen that they filmed but cut from Empire

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
I want to say that the Falcon actually has three different computer core brains(?). Maybe L3 is one or more of those.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Another is IG-88.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

You see when Han is saying “Come on baby don’t let me down” he is actually talking to the resident 1337 inside the falcon

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Teek posted:

I want to say that the Falcon actually has three different computer core brains(?). Maybe L3 is one or more of those.

Probably.

I remember reading something in the old EU that the brains connected to the Falcon were always bickering with each other too.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

AndyElusive posted:

I remember reading something in the old EU that the brains connected to the Falcon were always bickering with each other too.

Every time I learn something new about the old EU, I thank Disney for coming in and gassing the thing.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

l337 is 100% gonna be a folcon brain because c3po said the falcun had a very peculiar dialect and didnt know where it learned to communicate

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGGyTO-VlUs

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Looks like I'm the target audience for this poo poo because every trailer I see just gets me more and more hyped.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

These past couple tv spots have moved the needle more than the trailers for sure

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I'm not at all sold on Ehrenreich but in general it looks decent. Woody is clearly just cashing paychecks, though.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Maarak posted:

C3P0 is a functional immortal who speaks millions of languages and forged a critical alliance with the Ewoks. That he's treated as an annoying toaster by most of the "good guys" should be very telling as to why the New Republic fell.

Lukes and Leia are the ones who forged the Ewok alliance. Leia by befriending Wickett and Luke by using his powers. Threepio even explicitly says he can't command the Ewoks because his programming prohibits impersonating a god.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

or brainwashing K2 to murder his former comrades.

"Brainwashing" implies K2 is being forced to do something that goes against his beliefs through violence/abuse. Reprogramming just means that K2 is a Rebel AI put into a deceased Imperial AI's corpse. More Hannibal Lectors skin disguise than Manchurian Candidate.

sassassin posted:

Different movies can be "about" different things. Shifting focus towards an element of Star Wars that has been there from almost the first scene is entirely in the wheelhouse of cashgrab sidestory projects that would otherwise have nothing of value to contribute.

Rogue One had a different focus but was faithful to the universe's themes and workings. Droid rights/liberation doesn't. and really makes the setting not work. It goes against it's themes and makes the narrative trite.

Dr.Radical posted:

Also it suggests they can feel pain. The droids being tortured by burning the bottom of their feet for example. Which goes straight into the jizz classic Lapti Nek!

That's to show how petty and petulant Jabba is. Like people who hurt their dogs or smash their Roomba's. No one's arguing that Droids don't deserve respect and kindness. In fact how they treat their droids is one of the most used ways the movies tell us who's good or bad. It's just that Star Wars robots work on the principle that they have a programming to do whatever they're built for and that's what they want to do. C3PO is programmed to be a subservient doddering Robutler and that's what he will do. The Battle Droids are programmed to be incompetent killbots and that's what they want to do.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Timby posted:

I'm not at all sold on Ehrenreich but in general it looks decent. Woody is clearly just cashing paychecks, though.

Well yeah. He was hired to do the same thing again but uh...just in two takes.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Woody is gonna die in some kind of disaster instead of walking onto the Falcon a la Saw Gerrara. SAVE THE SPICE...SAVE THE DREAM

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Has Lucas or the Movies ever even said what Spice actually is? Is it just supposed to be a callback to Dune? I know the old EU essentially made it a drug that made you so high you thought you had psychic powers and could see the future. But I actually don't recall any canon source saying what it does or why it's worth risking your life to sell.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

It's gonna be dumb, pretty, and probably worth 10 bucks

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Jonathan Fisk posted:

It's gonna be dumb, pretty, and probably worth 10 bucks

turn on your monitor

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

galagazombie posted:

Has Lucas or the Movies ever even said what Spice actually is? Is it just supposed to be a callback to Dune? I know the old EU essentially made it a drug that made you so high you thought you had psychic powers and could see the future. But I actually don't recall any canon source saying what it does or why it's worth risking your life to sell.

It's spices. Jabba eats a lot, so he needs constant shipments of spices and other ingredients to maintain his gourmand lifestyle. Why do you think he was so pissed? It wasn't a drug shipment he was going to sell, Han ruined one of his lavish dinner parties by dumping that spice instead of delivering it.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

what are kids today crazy about? is it still the leet speak and the tony hawks? yeah thats it kids love that stuff. throw it in the hans solo movie ~Kathleen Kennedy

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Kids don't have money. But the age group you are referencing is now grown up and (doesn't) have money to spend seeing a movie at the theater (to distract them from their hellscape).

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'd love if they went the colonialist route with spice, showing The Empire exploiting the native peoples of planets rich in it. Pitting the people against each other, bringing foreign disease, and/or enslaving them to mine it.

But, uh, I'm guessing that won't be happening. Would make it more interesting than a drug metaphor or a Dune ripoff, and would deepen the concept of The Empire just being The British Space Empire.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

galagazombie posted:

Kevin J Anderson wrote a book where spice was this stuff deposited by giant spider creatures in huge underground tunnel networks. It's a stimulant that gives you a little bit of psychic awareness and is basically used like ecstasy. So yeah, it's a ripoff of Herbert's melange, with enough change to allow for "spice mines."

This was the only EU book I ever read.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Smugglers probably exaggerate the difficulty of obtaining spice to inflate the price.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I seem to remember a book on tape where Han Solo fell in love with some spice miner named Bria. I don’t remember what spice did but that the owners of the mine were some species whose mating display caused those nearby to experience euphoria, so they would use it to keep the miners working because they were addicted to it. Does this ring a bell for anyone?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dr.Radical posted:

I seem to remember a book on tape where Han Solo fell in love with some spice miner named Bria. I don’t remember what spice did but that the owners of the mine were some species whose mating display caused those nearby to experience euphoria, so they would use it to keep the miners working because they were addicted to it. Does this ring a bell for anyone?

I think she originated in A.C. Crispin's Han Solo trilogy then reappeared in the early Han Solo comics from Dark Horse. She eventually became a Rebel officer and helped to end Han and Lando's friendship by double-crossing Han after he went to her for help and making it look like he'd betrayed all his fellow smugglers.

I won't be surprised if Emilia Clarke's character ends up being a thinly-disguised version of her in the movie.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
I like that they're keeping Lando always pronouncing 'Han' like the word 'Hand' where everyone else [including Han] says it 'Hahn.'

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SolarFire2 posted:

I like that they're keeping Lando always pronouncing 'Han' like the word 'Hand' where everyone else [including Han] says it 'Hahn.'

I imagine DongLover refused to have it any other way.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

Kevin J Anderson wrote a book where spice was this stuff deposited by giant spider creatures in huge underground tunnel networks. It's a stimulant that gives you a little bit of psychic awareness and is basically used like ecstasy. So yeah, it's a ripoff of Herbert's melange, with enough change to allow for "spice mines."

This was the only EU book I ever read.

The book where an upside down traffic cone is the most powerful and indestructible ship in the galaxy.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

banned from Starbucks posted:

The book where an upside down traffic cone is the most powerful and indestructible ship in the galaxy.

Control the space traffic, you control the galaxy.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
A Coruscant cop movie featuring high speed hovercar chase scenes would be good. But it would definitely need to show a Coruscant traffic stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
then you'll be happy to know that just such a thing happens in attack of the clones

jedi are star wars cops, after all

• Locked thread