Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

moolchaba posted:

When I last insured my phone, I went with Squaretrade instead of Sprints TEP. It was an easier process and cheaper ($99 for 2 years on my old S4).

But now I scoff at insurance since I buy last years phone at half the original asking price.

And I'm not using a case either. Muahahahahaha.
Yeaah the deductible was pretty stupid but Ill just pay it off and try to forget about it. I was an idiot for not using a case because this phone is beyond slippery, but Ive got a case on the new one now. (Thank you overnight shipping).

Plus I got white which is mildly neat since the black one was out of stock.

Just sideloaded oreo, too. It was super easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Dameius posted:

Anyone have experience with taking their phones to not Canada and Mexico, in my case it will be Paris, and using the international phone/data addon? I'll be there for two weeks for work and my company is letting me expense it, but just wanted to know how reliable and quality it is. I have a S7 if that matters at all.

Just make sure you have the international roaming plan added to your account and you'll be good to go as soon as you land. My iPhone 7 worked great in Paris just a couple months ago. Roaming rates were very reasonable, probably cheaper than buying a local SIM, and much, much easier. You'll get 3 text messages explaining everything for each country you visit, but it works the same pretty much everywhere in western Europe.

I got a request to update carrier settings at one point that knocked me offline for a bit, but a reboot or two and/or physically moving to a different tower cleared things up.

Coverage was solid everywhere except down on the metro.

My phone got confused when I received domestic US phone calls. They still worked, but it didn't recognize the +1 country code, and would read the area code as the country code, which made it look like I was getting a call from Romania.

All-in-all, it's a surprisingly great service from Sprint.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Awesome, exactly what I was looking for. Coincidentally, heading to a corporate store right now to add the plan, so great timing.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
So I’m on an older Everything 450 plan and I’m wanting to upgrade as I’m done w my 2 year contract. However, it doesn’t seem like there’s an upgrade plan that works where I get a big discount on the phone and I’m buying it.

As someone who wants to save money on the phone and doesn’t mind a contract, what are my options?

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
Any original SERO people upgraded to the iPhone 8? I just called the SERO line in the OP to swap my iPhone 6 for an iPhone 8, but the lady from India said I need to change my plan to do so. I assume that nothing’s changed and I just need to keep trying until I get someone who will actually do it for me, but I figured I’d check first.

Please don’t tell me this is the end of the road.

Edit: Of course, I just called back until I got someone with a head on their shoulders, and am getting my new phone, no problem. Sprint sales line for the win again.

Blakkout fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 7, 2018

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Every time I call to activate they "Push" that I need to upgrade my plan, and every time I say "No way in Hell" which they will take a little extra time, but it always activates just fine and my plan never changes.

I even was able to jump on the $5 lease Essential Phone with free 360 Camera deal. Activated the phone for about a week and went back to my Pixel 2XL and everything was dandy.

Plan to do the buyout of the Essential as soon as I can but overall paying $150~ for a phone I originally paid $800+ for from Essential themselves, + a free actually good 4K 360 camera, is a pretty darn good deal.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

EdEddnEddy posted:

Every time I call to activate they "Push" that I need to upgrade my plan, and every time I say "No way in Hell" which they will take a little extra time, but it always activates just fine and my plan never changes.

I even was able to jump on the $5 lease Essential Phone with free 360 Camera deal. Activated the phone for about a week and went back to my Pixel 2XL and everything was dandy.

Plan to do the buyout of the Essential as soon as I can but overall paying $150~ for a phone I originally paid $800+ for from Essential themselves, + a free actually good 4K 360 camera, is a pretty darn good deal.

With the who what now?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

ryanbruce posted:

With the who what now?

Oh crap, though I quoted and uh. Didn't.

SERO talk was a response to Blakkout, I activate a new device, tell them to pound sand if they try to change your plan.

Never give up. Never surrender! SERO Forever! :black101:

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

EdEddnEddy posted:

Oh crap, though I quoted and uh. Didn't.

SERO talk was a response to Blakkout, I activate a new device, tell them to pound sand if they try to change your plan.

Never give up. Never surrender! SERO Forever! :black101:

Er, sorry. I meant the Essential promo

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

ryanbruce posted:

Er, sorry. I meant the Essential promo

Can't get it anymore, at least not like that. It's $6/month with bill credits now.

Texibus
May 18, 2008

Boywhiz88 posted:

So I’m on an older Everything 450 plan and I’m wanting to upgrade as I’m done w my 2 year contract. However, it doesn’t seem like there’s an upgrade plan that works where I get a big discount on the phone and I’m buying it.

As someone who wants to save money on the phone and doesn’t mind a contract, what are my options?

Anyone got an answer for this goon? I'm in a similar boat. Anyway to get the big discount on new phones with a new 2 year contract?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Yes, buy a Sprint iPhone from Apple. But beware the additional service charge if you want to do this.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Just an update on international traveling, I did Paris and New Zealand this last month and Sprint had good coverage for both countries. It was kind of finicky to get it to pick up the local towers at first, but a phone restart fixed that.

Texting is free, data is $5/day or $25/week except for like China which is more expensive.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I highly suggest if you go the sim unlock route instead that you make sure it's actually unlocked before leaving the country.

I have an S8, called sprint up and they told me the unlock was pushed through. The phone kept saying it wasn't unlocked though but they would say things like "Oh it'll switch once you pop in the foreign sim, don't worry!"

Basically whatever process they use to push the services update wasn't actually completing. Really fun to try and deal with over a voip connection to customer service in another country with a lovely connection. I had to talk to 8 people before the last person actually believed me, pressed a single button on their end and the update successfully completed and the phone unlocked. Eight. I also got talked into a factory reset by one of those 8 idiots which wasn't super fun on a phone with almost a year worth of crap on it.

It's my own fault for not waiting an extra few months for the unlocked version of my phone instead of the carrier locked version available on release. And also that carrier being sprint.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Dameius posted:

Just an update on international traveling, I did Paris and New Zealand this last month and Sprint had good coverage for both countries. It was kind of finicky to get it to pick up the local towers at first, but a phone restart fixed that.

Texting is free, data is $5/day or $25/week except for like China which is more expensive.

I thought like 2x data is free and you had to pay for 3g or 4g.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
You get free 2G data (so functionally useless data) that is just good enough to load the Sprint portal to order 4G/LTE data plans.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Welp with the recent $10 increase on employee plans and t-mobile adding netflix to their plans for free, t-mo's current plans have gotten close enough to what my wife's plan + my employee plan was cost wise. Made the jump tonight, can't say I'll miss getting 2mbit speeds on LTE, so long Sprint. :woop:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
And a follow up to ditching sprint, how do I get my iPhone to stop prompting me to input a password for passpoint secure wifi. I’ve already tried resetting network settings.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

e.pilot posted:

And a follow up to ditching sprint, how do I get my iPhone to stop prompting me to input a password for passpoint secure wifi. I’ve already tried resetting network settings.
Go to Settings -> Wi-Fi, then find Passpoint listed under the Choose A Network... list, press the circled blue i next to it, then tap Forget This Network.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I wish it were that simple, but that’s not an option for passpoint secure APs.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Heads up,

Sprint is killing Google Voice integration on june 1st.

So pissed, pretty much the only reason I was still using sprint.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Welp. That on any other carrier?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Dameius posted:

Not that I'm aware of.

I guess I'll either switch to pushbullet (ehhh) or Samsungs dumb screen mirroring thing for texting away from my phone on a PC.

Google is working on this but who the hell knows with them.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
If you are looking to be able to text from PC windows 10 does this, just need to set up Cortana on your phone.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Dameius posted:

Google Fi I’d imagine.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Harminoff posted:

If you are looking to be able to text from PC windows 10 does this, just need to set up Cortana on your phone.

My laptop runs 10, my desktop runs 7 and I use my desktop more..not to mention not really wanting Cortana on my phone. It's nice it's an option though.

I'll fill the gap with free pushbullet until this android.messages thing is live. Being a website is infinitely more useful. It's lovely I'll have to switch my messaging app from textra to google's but on the flipside I can also bail the hell out of sprint now that I'm also on an unlocked phone paid in full.

I have no idea what I'll do to substitute voice's voicemail control though...I have no idea what the default voicemail app even looks like, I've always let voice handle it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Dameius posted:

No way others are going to integrate with google voice other than Google’s own service. Voice integration was cool and unique, but it was done before the SoftBank buyout, so I guess not a surprise it’s now getting axed.

Most carriers offer their own software to do messages though. Verizon does (I use it for work), ATT I’m pretty sure still does (they did 3 years ago), couldn’t tell you on T-Mobile.

That being said, google voice is exponentially better than the versions I used on either Verizon or ATT.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I was thinking of getting a Pixel, and now I guess I'll need to look into getting in on Google Fi.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Dameius posted:

I was thinking of getting a Pixel, and now I guess I'll need to look into getting in on Google Fi.

Unless you use a poo poo ton of data Fi is a better deal than sprint anyway.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Duckman2008 posted:

Unless you use a poo poo ton of data Fi is a better deal than sprint anyway.

It only supporting a handful of phones is what stops me..not to mention it's still sprint. If it were open to all current phones then I'd at least give it a shot, but at this point I think I'm just sticking with samsung hardware if they continue to buy back the last gen phone at half the price of the new gen...so no dice.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

zer0spunk posted:

My laptop runs 10, my desktop runs 7 and I use my desktop more..not to mention not really wanting Cortana on my phone. It's nice it's an option though.

I'll fill the gap with free pushbullet until this android.messages thing is live. Being a website is infinitely more useful. It's lovely I'll have to switch my messaging app from textra to google's but on the flipside I can also bail the hell out of sprint now that I'm also on an unlocked phone paid in full.

I have no idea what I'll do to substitute voice's voicemail control though...I have no idea what the default voicemail app even looks like, I've always let voice handle it.

The last Sprint carrier phone I bought had this awful freemium voicemail app. I just use the phone app now and call into voicemail. It is clunky and not nearly as good a solution as Google Voice.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
You could always port your Sprint number to Google Voice proper if you want to keep all the voicemail and texting stuff.

This will cancel your Sprint service, but that may be a handy feature.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Rip Sprint, it looks like t mobile merger is complete.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-29/sprint-t-mobile-in-26-5-billion-deal-to-take-on-at-t-verizon

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Will be interesting to see if it actually goes through this time.

RIP SERO?... Guess we will see.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I just switched to t-mobile a few months ago, I hope they don't make t-mobile lovely, because goddamn t-mo is lightyears better than sprint.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Is this what we need to finally get decent speeds?!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
As long as I can continue to chug along with my S5.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Me being the one person who gets great speeds on Sprint and has never had issues. :(

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Medullah posted:

Me being the one person who gets great speeds on Sprint and has never had issues. :(

My family has been with Sprint so long that when my mom's 4 year old phone finally broke last year they straight up offered her a new phone for free (it was a pretty bad phone, but it worked to tide her over).

I've been threatening to switch to Tmo for years but never have because Sprint will work just well enough to keep me there, and we're in a market with spectrum issues so Tmo can't put out the better bands.

Guess I'll see what happens now. Whatever happens is going to be a mess, I'm sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Yeah Sprint works great in southern Wisconsin plus I use like 30 gigs of data a month (streaming at work all day) so I don't think I could find a better deal for under $60 a month.