Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Chika stamping her legs cause she can't contain her energy is :3:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Does Chika only ever wear lemon and lime-coloured hair ornaments? This is my big takeaway from rewatching these three episodes.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Chika-chan is shaping up to be a real monster.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Next episode begins the arc... soon, the intrepid fools in this topic won't be able to tell me off anymore...

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
You heard the man, get your hits in now!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
!z3p when are you gonna awaken the power?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I’m glad zep will finally awaken the power

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
So anyways I'm a big fan of this episode.

I've entertained the thought that it might be more interesting if the girls failed to save the school, and for now, it looks like that's the way it's gonna go. Can't discount the possibility that winning the Love Live will deus ex machina the school back to live, but given that the story has consistently emphasized that it's not just a matter of convincing one person or just managing to do one thing, and that even Mari's dad, who seemed like the taskmaster to overcome to save the school, is just himself one part of a larger group and isn't some de facto leader, hammers in that the problems that Aqours face are far too realistic to be just overturned by a miracle. And it's really amazing, to me, that the anime would go this path and come to the conclusion that it did in this episode.

The three themes of miracles, future, and shining all come together really nicely in this episode. When the girls fail to get their miracle despite all their efforts, failing to save the school by a scant 2 applicants, they end up losing one of the two futures - their goal - and that in return leads to the seeming loss of their other future - their dream of shining, because as far as they're concerned, you can't have one without the other. So all of them decide uniformly to give up, and it's only when all the other students of the school come to cheer them on that Aqours find their new goal. It's a nice extension, I think, of what happened in the first episode, where Chika points out that Mari had pretty much done everything in her power to save the school, but that none of the other members had really tried yet. And now, that Aqours have tried and failed, they find help from everyone else affected by the school's closing, which helps them regain their footing and purpose. It's also emphasized with the girls going over their motivations for joining Aqours in the first place, and reaffirming their dreams as they take a break from practice to decide the future of the group.

And in a way, it feels like they've thrown away their reliance on miracles as of this episode. Because winning the Love Live isn't just some miracle that depends on chance, it's a matter of skill and determination and creativity. It's something far more tangible, where either you perform better than the others or you don't. It's got nothing to do with hoping you somehow obtain this imaginary, hypothetical number. It's binary, either you win or you don't. No more hoping for a miracle, it's all about turning your achievements into miracles.

The episode also did a really good job of highlighting Chika's desperation and anxiety and frustration throughout the episode, and it really draws you in and makes the payoff all the better. Girl nearly comes off as unhinged at times, to the point where everyone is looking at her and thinking, dang, is this girl okay????? And I'm so glad to see the "Do you wanna quit?" question pop back up.

Sunshine has constantly emphasized the harsher reality of a post-Muse era; even back in Season 1, it was pointed out that the whole game had changed, that the Love Live is far more competitive than it used to be, that you can't just be about "hey we're just a group of passionate girls who wanna be friends and enjoy ourselves" if you wanna make it. And now, we get to see another instance of that in this season, where, despite doing all the things that Muse did (without performing a Honoka to boot), Aqours still comes up short and can't save their school after all. The problems are also a lot more realistic compared to the vagueness of OG Love Live, where the issue just sorta resolves itself before the first season even ends. While Mari is the director of the school, she still answers to the board, whereas in OG Love Live the highest figure you had was just Kotori's Mom.

Dia herself is a constant reminder of this too, since she's constantly the one grounding the cast by pointing out the flaws with the more outlandish ideas of the group. Or heck, just look at the training segment from the previous episode. You didn't really see Muse practice to that extent. Heck, even the unrealistic practice schedule set by Umi was used as a joke in the previous season.

And I really really really love the final answer that the girls reach, which is to memorialize their school, to carve out its mark on history. I was on the verge of making a post on that note, but decided to hold off to watch the scene to play out. Something along the lines of "winning the Love Live to prove that the school existed." So it made me all the more excited when Chika's friends actually suggested something along those lines. They can't save the physical components of the school, nor can they avoid the reality that they'll have to say farewell to the place that brought them together, but at the same time, they're saving it in a symbolic way. And it's extremely my poo poo.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

!z3p when are you gonna awaken the power?

gently caress you.

Allarion posted:

I’m glad zep will finally awaken the power

gently caress you, and why the gently caress is your apostrophe messed up, use better apostrophes.

quote:

Also gently caress SIF because I went to check my quests and it turns out the game's mocking me too.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Polsy posted:

Does Chika only ever wear lemon and lime-coloured hair ornaments? This is my big takeaway from rewatching these three episodes.

Well, so much for that theory

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Minimum wage µ's and 2 SR Aqours today. So much for mocking Zep giving good pulls....

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
power sleepy

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Saw 300+ replies to this thread and I'm glad it's zep doing live episode posting again.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
JOIN ME, FRIENDS, AS WE EMBARK ON A JOURNEY TO HAKODATE.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Typical Japanese schoolgirls, wearing short skirts in frostbitten wastelands.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also what the gently caress is up with Chika's face????

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ruby it's even colder because you're leaving your bare knees on the snow.

Maybe if you stood up it'd be less cold.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Can't believe this is how Love Live ends.

I suppose preserving the girls at their peak is another way of immortalizing their existences.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What the gently caress why didn't they just enter the building for warmth????

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Never thought I'd be saying this but these girls are very dramatic.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Like, I feel like they overreact to stuff at times.

Don't know why I feel this way, I just do.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
How was she fitting those ear muffs under that mask.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nobody bullies Yoshiko harder than herself.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Those dorks!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Those dorks!!!!!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Those dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooorks!!!!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What the gently caress happened to you Hanamaru.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hmmmm, do I count this as a diamond mouth or not.... I think I'll go with yes.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Can't believe Mari took off her jacket just for a photo.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Man these girls move around a lot. Especially Ruby.

From one corner to the other and back.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hungrymaru with here eyes on the prize.

What's Yoshiko looking at????

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh she's just being Chu2.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Who are these 3 girls that You and Mari are talking with.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kanan and Dia, you weren't even there that time!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Whoot, new song.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What the gently caress?????

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Dang, gently caress, that's depressing.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
But enough depression, I had to backtrack repeatedly to capture this diamond mouth.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kanan's hug/groan sound effect is cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also Dia's expression.