Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
gonna be a lot of this until that new season

https://i.imgur.com/gahd72u.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Last night's AP Bio was fantastic. Heather really is the highlight of the show.

I love how they've basically bumbled into something that can actually ruin Miles, with Heather's online relationship with him, and Jack hasn't even realized. Even when Jack is literally almost right there with the pedophile SEO thing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I actually really liked Jack's mutual "that's impressive" and "ok, maybe you should pull back from that" reactions.

His bemused reactions to the small little aspects of the kids' drama we catch is the highlight of the show for me.

"Trust me, being stalked is no fun."
"For the last time, I'm not stalking you! We just have the same class schedule!"
"Hmmm. Interesting."

Its like there's this entire other sitcom happening that Jack just resists engaging with.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I love that Jack is a psychology professor and was so easily tricked into talking to the principal.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

He's a philosophy professor.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Starts with a P, same thing in Toledo.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's funny having spent years not watching Always Sunny and seeing arguments about how it gets worse after various seasons to then be almost all the way through and find it remarkably consistent.

Also AP Bio is good

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I always thought so too. There were some episodes that were kinda weak here and there (and no one ever agrees on which ones those are) but I can't think of any season that had more than a couple. The tone changed a little over a dozen seasons but you have to expect that to happen.

And AP Bio is good too.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Even the seasons I have wasn’t too hot on ended up warming up to a lot over time.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've always gotten the impression that most people prefer Always Sunny's later years to its earlier ones, but its probably a question of taste. Its pretty indisputable that they get way more evil and absurd and the episodes get broader and more out there as the show goes on. For some people that's probably a turn off.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

From when the show turns HD to like season 8 or 9 is my favorite.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Lots of the latter episodes feel like Sunny fanfic, tbh, but there's no season without strong points.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

steinrokkan posted:

Lots of the latter episodes feel like Sunny fanfic, tbh, but there's no season without strong points.

I don't mean this as a knock, but I don't fully get what "fanfic" means as a criticism here.

If "fanfic" is defined as taking established characters and writing them into a variety of random, non contextual "What if?" scenarios than I fail to see how Always Sunny wasn't always this.

If "fanfic" is defined as "fans writing stories about someone else's work" then when we know its the same writers and creators at the pen I can only really see that as a statement that over the years their tastes and styles have changed in a different way than some viewers' have (or haven't).

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I mean that they took some of the character traits and took them to wacky 11. Which may work for you, but I always liked that there was a subtext to the gang dynamics, which they made into text. Like that episode in the water park where Mac keeps talking about shooting water jets up his rear end. That stuff could have been handled much better, with greater comedic potential as a sort of slow reveal that never was fully stated, instead of just flat out having Mac make direct remarks.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 15, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I get that. Like I said, the characters became broader and bigger as time went on and that's not going to be everyone's tastes.

I think it happens with most sitcoms as time goes on because subtext and running gags just can't last forever without becoming full blown character traits no matter how cartoonish it makes the characters. But Always Sunny weathered it better than most IMO because they were already pretty terrible people in pretty outrageous situations to begin with and they just escalated the show with them.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I get that. Like I said, the characters became broader and bigger as time went on and that's not going to be everyone's tastes.

I think it happens with most sitcoms as time goes on because subtext and running gags just can't last forever without becoming full blown character traits no matter how cartoonish it makes the characters. But Always Sunny weathered it better than most IMO because they were already pretty terrible people in pretty outrageous situations to begin with and they just escalated the show with them.

To an extent it can be inevitable, as new writers come to work on the show because they're fans of it and little by little the characters change and the original personality of the show can go. Even considering this I always thought Sunny stayed fairly consistent.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I agree that Sunny has gotten broader over time, but also that it’s the kind of show that was absurd enough to begin with that it hasn’t changed things too much.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I mean one of the first episodes was Charlie pretending to have cancer to get the waitress to date him, the second has him loudly yelling how he wished his love child had been aborted, another was the gang letting minors drink in their bar
They've always been irredeemable monsters

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
To be fair, Charlie did root out corruption in the local PD.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Calaveron posted:

I mean one of the first episodes was Charlie pretending to have cancer to get the waitress to date him, the second has him loudly yelling how he wished his love child had been aborted, another was the gang letting minors drink in their bar
They've always been irredeemable monsters

In the early seasons Denis had a functioning sense of ethics, Dee was the straight woman, Mac liked to sleep with women and Charlie wasn't functionally illiterate. For better and worse the cast's behavior has changed dramatically since the start of the show.

Personally I think seasons 3-7 were the show's finest, but it has held up remarkably well as it's gone on. It's Always Sunny at not quite its peak is still better than pretty much any other comedy on TV.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Charlie was writing incomprehensible scripts in season 2

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Artemis translated The Nightman Cometh into words for Charlie too.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

Charlie was writing incomprehensible scripts in season 2

Charlie was writing poorly constructed sentences in season 2, he didn't know what words were in Old Lady House

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

multijoe posted:

Charlie was writing poorly constructed sentences in season 2, he didn't know what words were in Old Lady House

He didn't know why words were flying across the screen, he didn't realize they were credits because he didn't know what they said.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

He's huffed a lot more glue and drank a lot more paint since season 2 too.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

Hey, you lock him in the basement, he's gonna huff paint.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

He didn't know why words were flying across the screen, he didn't realize they were credits because he didn't know what they said.

Nah he says letters, which Mac has to explain are 'names'

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Maybe there were some residual placebo effects from Flowers for Charlie.

multijoe posted:

In the early seasons Denis had a functioning sense of ethics, Dee was the straight woman, Mac liked to sleep with women and Charlie wasn't functionally illiterate. For better and worse the cast's behavior has changed dramatically since the start of the show.

I feel that digression/deterioration is a theme of the show in general so all of this makes sense. Frank was an actual businessman at the outset and "got real weird with it." Cricket definitely deteriorated. Mac got fat for a while (sorry, "bulk"). It's something that I really enjoy about the show and it all really makes sense since the gang is in their own sociocultural bubble.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 17, 2018

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

multijoe posted:

Nah he says letters, which Mac has to explain are 'names'

Hey, if you don't know how the letters go together, they're just letters.

But you're right that it's gotten a bit more cartoony.

My favorite was the "cursing?" joke about the cursive on the sign-in sheet at Mac's dad's visiting hours.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

The Sean posted:

I feel that digression/deterioration is a theme of the show in general so all of this makes sense. Frank was an actual businessman at the outset and "got real weird with it." Cricket definitely deteriorated. Mac got fat for a while (sorry, "bulk"). It's something that I really enjoy about the show and it all really makes sense since the gang is in their own sociocultural bubble.

This is why the "Flanderization" of these characters doesn't bother me as much as it does in other sitcoms. When the characters are constantly learning the wrong lessons, doubling down on their bad behavior, and dropping their commitment to anything at the first sign of difficulty, it makes sense to me that they would slowly become worse versions of who they used to be.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

multijoe posted:

In the early seasons Denis had a functioning sense of ethics

The second episode of the show has Dennis literally scaling a fence in full view of both sides of an abortion rally because he's trying to trick women on either side into sleeping with him.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I don't mind the degradation of characters (which is good) as much as they being louder and more upfront about their deviancies / problems. Like they no longer bother to keep up the basic pretense of being functional people. It¨s hard to formulate what it means specifically, though, the best I can come up with is that instead of their flaws being devices to move plots forward, the flaws become the focus of the series in themselves. Which, on the other hand was to an extent a feature of the golden era as well (like Frank Gets An Intervention)... Maybe it all comes down simply to plots being less multilayered.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

The second episode of the show has Dennis literally scaling a fence in full view of both sides of an abortion rally because he's trying to trick women on either side into sleeping with him.

And in one of the next he declines sleeping with an attractive highschooler not because he could get busted, but because it's wrong. He was never a paragon of virtue, but he wasn't THE GOLDEN GOD either.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

multijoe posted:

And in one of the next he declines sleeping with an attractive highschooler not because he could get busted, but because it's wrong. He was never a paragon of virtue, but he wasn't THE GOLDEN GOD either.

But by the end of that very episode, the other guys say "dude she's 18, go for it!" ...and he did. Until the point of the high school girl dumping him to get back with her boyfriend, who Dee was getting wasted enough to be in the right frame of mind to statutory rape.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I recently rewatched the episode and the entire point is that Charlie and Mac are giving him poo poo for the fact that he bangs jailbait all the time, he's rejecting the high schooler because of that, and as soon as they say "its 18, its ok" he's all for it.

Dennis has never had morals. It was just easier to hide and more socially acceptable when he was younger. I choose to believe he got more outrageously monstrous as it became harder for him to get laid and he had to get more twisted and twisted about it.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

STAC Goat posted:

Dennis has never had morals. It was just easier to hide and more socially acceptable when he was younger. I choose to believe he got more outrageously monstrous as it became harder for him to get laid and he had to get more twisted and twisted about it.

Yes, that's true. He's failed a lot more at getting laid as the series went on and his successes have been less than optimal (Maureen Ponderosa).

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Sean posted:

Yes, that's true. He's failed a lot more at getting laid as the series went on and his successes have been less than optimal (Maureen Ponderosa).

I feel like just about everything Dennis does is about getting back to that perceived peak

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

This is why the "Flanderization" of these characters doesn't bother me as much as it does in other sitcoms. When the characters are constantly learning the wrong lessons, doubling down on their bad behavior, and dropping their commitment to anything at the first sign of difficulty, it makes sense to me that they would slowly become worse versions of who they used to be.

Yeah this is not a show built on subtle and nuanced characterization. It's not unrealistic that, as their lives progress and their position fails to improve, they'd get more and more anti-social as time went on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jason Sextro posted:

Yeah this is not a show built on subtle and nuanced characterization. It's not unrealistic that, as their lives progress and their position fails to improve, they'd get more and more anti-social as time went on.

shush