Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
A non-OFA Deku could have joined the police and been pretty good at it. Deku was in more danger of getting himself killed by his propensity to jump to the rescue first and think later than becoming disillusioned and abandoned by society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

He was specifically told by All Might he could become a cop if he wanted to help people as a quirkless civilian. That was pretty crushing and I doubt he would have taken him up on it since it's really not what he wanted out of life. Deku may really want to help people at an almost pathological level, but he also idolizes heroes to the point where he has books full of notes on every aspect of their moves, costumes, fights, etc. Deku that didn't get One For All would eventually get some office job his talents at book keeping and studying would be suited for or MAYBE even take the UA test despite All Might's warning and come out even more crushed when he got a literal zero score against giant robots. Both of those would lead him to a depressed life that would only be different than Gentle's by aspect that he wouldn't be living in a shed eating weeds, but the more banal despair of watching everyone else act out his dream on TV while he also lives a life of obscurity like the average person.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 17, 2018

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Dr Subterfuge posted:

A non-OFA Deku could have joined the police and been pretty good at it. Deku was in more danger of getting himself killed by his propensity to jump to the rescue first and think later than becoming disillusioned and abandoned by society.

It's not definitely what would have happened with Deku but it's a potential path his life could have taken, especially as we were shown all his classmates laughing at him applying to U.A.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Is the cat next to Jirouneko supposed to be Asui?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Cat Bakugo trying to mess with Cat-Shoto is extremely on brand for him

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Yeah I like that the bakubros have a monopoly on lap space

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I like that Tokoyami is just a bird. And Mineta is totally just stuck in Eraserhead's hair.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Well that’s pretty adorable.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Rhonne posted:

I like that Tokoyami is just a bird. And Mineta is totally just stuck in Eraserhead's hair.

I kinda wish he were just a cat with a bird head for the sake of accuracy, but luckily I like birds better than cats so whatever.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

A gryphon, which would indeed be rad.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I want to see art of class 1-A as birds

And Tokoyami is just a dude with a human head

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

SgtSteel91 posted:

I want to see art of class 1-A as birds

And Tokoyami is just a dude with a human head

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

A gryphon, which would indeed be rad.

No, not with wings or anything. Just, like, a hairless cat with just a bird head, like how Tokoyami is just a man with a bird head. It can't fly, and is otherwise exactly like a normal cat, but just with the head of a bird.

Does anybody have that piece of fanart where they remove Tokoyami's beak and it's just a really receded normal human mouth?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I wasn't having the best day today, but this definitely brightened it up. Thanks. :kimchi:

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

SpacePig posted:

No, not with wings or anything. Just, like, a hairless cat with just a bird head, like how Tokoyami is just a man with a bird head. It can't fly, and is otherwise exactly like a normal cat, but just with the head of a bird.

Does anybody have that piece of fanart where they remove Tokoyami's beak and it's just a really receded normal human mouth?

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Jesus, the spoilers for this chapter are pure distilled :smith:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Radish posted:

He was specifically told by All Might he could become a cop if he wanted to help people as a quirkless civilian. That was pretty crushing and I doubt he would have taken him up on it since it's really not what he wanted out of life. Deku may really want to help people at an almost pathological level, but he also idolizes heroes to the point where he has books full of notes on every aspect of their moves, costumes, fights, etc. Deku that didn't get One For All would eventually get some office job his talents at book keeping and studying would be suited for or MAYBE even take the UA test despite All Might's warning and come out even more crushed when he got a literal zero score against giant robots. Both of those would lead him to a depressed life that would only be different than Gentle's by aspect that he wouldn't be living in a shed eating weeds, but the more banal despair of watching everyone else act out his dream on TV while he also lives a life of obscurity like the average person.

He was also told by All Might by the end of the first chapter that he could become a hero.

And the important bit about that is that's how chapter one ends. He, and we, don't learn about One For All until the next chapter. Hell, the initial plan for the manga was to leave Deku quirkless, and was only changed because the editor suggested it.

So it's very likely, in an alternate universe, someone is reading a version of MHA where Deku never gets a quirk. And he'll still be a hero.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

chapter's up

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/my-hero-academia/en/0/180/page/1

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

The only happy I can find in this ending is that Deku will at least have his lunch money stolen and be given a wedgie for breaking his new gloves already.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Can we all give Gentle and La Brava a hug now please? Group hug? :smith:

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
the stakes for this arc do not at all match how hot blooded these battles are. and deku knew based on gentle's past videos that the end result of the crime would have been very mild

it would have only been interesting if gentle had won (though i guess he was partly successful). school festival arcs are also always mediocre. please end soon bad arc!!!

Relin fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 20, 2018

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Relin posted:

the stakes for this arc do not at all match how hot blooded these battles are. and deku knew based on gentle's past videos that the end result of the crime would have been very mild

it would have only been interesting if gentle had won. school festival arcs are also always mediocre. please end soon bad arc!!!

I haven't read the new chapter yet, but seriously? Under normal circumstances, sure, but under the current ones his success would mean the instant shut-down of the school festival. That carries with it the wasted efforts of all of his classmates as well as the ruin of Eri's one day of freedom and their attempt to show her that the world can be a fun, good place.

Imagine that- She gets out of the hospital for one day and a villain breaks into the school and the whole thing shuts down. She's a child and she already blames herself for Mirio's loss and Nighteye's death, in this state she would definitely blame herself for that too.

I understand liking Gentle and La Brava, but people who say Deku is in the wrong for trying to stop him and that Gentle's success would not have caused any trouble are not thinking beyond the page in front of them.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Relin posted:

Bad words

The end result would not have been mild at all. The crime could be mild, but not the fallout.

Also school festivals are good and this arc involving one was good.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Relin posted:

it would have only been interesting if gentle had won. school festival arcs are also always mediocre. please end soon bad arc!!!

the stakes for this arc are way bigger than they seem like the possible careers of however many heroes are on the line

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
With All Might retired, Gentle is actually the current #1 hero.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Relin posted:

it would have only been interesting if gentle had won (though i guess he was partly successful). school festival arcs are also always mediocre. please end soon bad arc!!!

It makes perfect sense because both characters involved are very passionate about these relatively low stakes and it wouldn't make sense if that "hot-blood" didn't match the intensity of their emotions.

Anyway i'm proud of Deku. Dude used a kick and also didn't break any of his bones. He's learning. :unsmith:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Relin posted:

please end soon bad arc!!!

Is it like your gimmick to be As Wrong As Possible or something?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

deku nearly killed himself in the sports festival with way less at stake than this. he just wanted to help his classmate there

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Dragonatrix posted:

Is it like your gimmick to be As Wrong As Possible or something?

It's his Quirk

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

But yeah I actually care a lot more about Gentle and La Brava than the festival right now, whether I'm supposed to or not

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Relin posted:

:chloe:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Xarbala posted:

But yeah I actually care a lot more about Gentle and La Brava than the festival right now, whether I'm supposed to or not

Yeah, I have to be honest, that might be the only "failing" (If you can call it that) of this arc. Then again there's any number of directions this can go so from here that the fault might even be negliable.

A "Youtuber vigilantie" could have easily been the most scumfuck chracter in this whole comic and almost no one would have bat an eyelid given the real world situation.

The restraint to not go there is commendable.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Apr 20, 2018

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I was kinda hoping Gentle and La Brava would manage to wrangle a happy ending out of this but I imagine that couldn't happen.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I’m excited for the newest member of the school staff, Gentle, to begin his teaching career along side his trusty TA.

Media presence is a big part of hero work.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm afraid I also don't care for festival arcs, mainly because I don't much like festivals in real life. I still like seeing my favourite characters goof around though.

Hopefully next week Deku will come to their aid, maybe say that he was chasing them to warn that they were inadvertently trespassing and that no fight ever happened. Which obviously won't fly in itself, but it might if he says that he'll swear blind that that is what happened to Hound Dog and co.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If Deku wants to be a real hero he needs to save pure souls like LaBrava and Gentle from themselves.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
good arc.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I'm happy Deku won this fight and didn't break any of his bones.But now he has to get back in time for Eri so see him dance :ohdear:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Radish posted:

If Deku wants to be a real hero he needs to save pure souls like LaBrava and Gentle from themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Is this forest technically within school grounds? Maybe it's not trespassing yet? I just want Gentle and La Brava to be okay :ohdear: