Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

https://twitter.com/RTYourSchnoz/status/985381112657694720

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

The only people who say Golden Age is best are the Griffith fanboys. Which is about 80% of the total fanbase. And they are all wrong.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
Golden age doesn't have puck. Therefor Golden age can't be the best arc.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
griffith's a monster and i want him to lose everything

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

scarolina posted:

yeah griffith is pretty inscrutable these days

He's fronting as inscrutable, but in reality he's just a petty brat that can't handle people not worshipping him.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
griffith has manipulated the world with the power of a god, but it was all to fulfill his childish dream. right now he's trying to maintain that dream, but it could never last.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
I know this is terrible.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I think he's also getting monkey's pawed a bit because turns out his big dream was a pointless waste of time and now he's alone

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Griffith is probably being pushed into letting his dream fail in some regard just so they can get another sacrifice out of him. He's too ambitious to just stop at a Kingdom in a world where he can't really conquer anything else due to the loving near extinction of reality.

Right now the Astral and Physical Worlds are conjoined, but I doubt that Void or the Idea of Evil is satisfied with just that. They want everything to become a part of the Abyss.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Apr 16, 2018

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Crabtree posted:

Griffith is probably being pushed into letting his dream fail in some regard just so they can get another sacrifice out of him. He's too ambitious to just stop at a Kingdom in a world where he can't really conquer anything else due to the loving near extinction of reality.

Right now the Astral and Physical Worlds are conjoined, but I doubt that Void or the Idea of Evil is satisfied with just that. They want everything to become a part of the Abyss.

End game, do you think it is possible that Guts will actually let the rest of the godhand live? Is it possible that they are annoyed at Griffith and will actually aid Guts because it works for both of them? Or at least tempt him with a behelit?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I don't think the Idea of Evil has wants. It's the barest manifestation of man's desire for there to be a reason for the hell world they live in. Void too seems to be more an administrator than a prime mover. Griffith's ambition is endless though, but he's just cut himself while shaving.

^^^^
I doubt it's possible for him to harm the god hand, expect the dingus that just had to take physical form.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Apr 16, 2018

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Idea and Void have an Azathoth and Nyarlathotep type relationship imo

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
Is the idea of evil actually Canon? I thought he published that chapter by mistake, so for all we know it isn't even an actual element in the story anymore.

I'm probably getting facts wrong, so can someone clarify and or correct this?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

lobster22221 posted:

Is the idea of evil actually Canon? I thought he published that chapter by mistake, so for all we know it isn't even an actual element in the story anymore.

I'm probably getting facts wrong, so can someone clarify and or correct this?
At the moment it is not canon. Miura removed it because he felt it was a bad moment to introduce such a concept. It may come back later, but until it does just assume it won't. Apparently the way Miura has planned story the has changed a lot since then, so it might no longer have a place.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bug Squash posted:

He's fronting as inscrutable, but in reality he's just a petty brat that can't handle people not worshipping him.

Also he’s closeted as gently caress and does not have the slightest idea of how to handle it, not least because the closest things to gay relationships he’s had were horrifyingly abusive.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Bisse posted:

At the moment it is not canon. Miura removed it because he felt it was a bad moment to introduce such a concept. It may come back later, but until it does just assume it won't. Apparently the way Miura has planned story the has changed a lot since then, so it might no longer have a place.

Thanks, I was a bit confused on that.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Bisse posted:

Wait what?
Well that's a bit confusing but I guess revealing the "man behind the curtain" in what was essentially still the first act of the story was a bit much.

Augus fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 16, 2018

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The Idea of Evil isn't really any different than the Warhammer gods or Shin Megami Tensei. Maybe he felt it was just too close to those.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Radish posted:

The Idea of Evil isn't really any different than the Warhammer gods or Shin Megami Tensei. Maybe he felt it was just too close to those.

Supernatural beings being effected by the existence of mortals isn't too rare of a theme nowadays when deities are involved.

iirc, IoE is basically a thing created because humanity subconsciously wanted there to be a reason for evil to exist. I'm not sure about WH chaos gods, but I thought SMT demons were just powered by explicit belief?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Bug Squash posted:

I doubt it's possible for him to harm the god hand, expect the dingus that just had to take physical form.

They're all physical in Fantasia

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The Warhammer gods are specifically created by strong emotions while the SMT demons are basically given form by humans beliefs and wanting rationality in the universe (which is based on the real history where mythologies explained the unexplainable). They are similar themes where human emotions, thoughts, beliefs, etc pool in some alternate dimension and become malicious and then cause lots of horror on the humans that created them without knowing it instead of conventional religions where the gods created man.

I'm not saying Berzerk! is hacky or bad for this, it's just a fairly common idea and there's no problem with that. Maybe Muira wanted to make it something different over the twenty years or whatever since he initially thought it up.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Apr 16, 2018

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't magic in Berserk still follow that principle? Trolls and unicorns exist because humans came up with them.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Radish posted:

The Warhammer gods are specifically created by strong emotions while the SMT demons are basically given form by humans beliefs and wanting rationality in the universe (which is based on the real history where mythologies explained the unexplainable). They are similar themes where human emotions, thoughts, beliefs, etc pool in some alternate dimension and become malicious and then cause lots of horror on the humans that created them without knowing it.

I'm not saying Berzerk! is hacky or bad for this, it's just a fairly common idea and there's no problem with that. Maybe Muira wanted to make it something different over the twenty years or whatever since he initially thought it up.

I was not trying to call it the most unique idea either. I do think it has a slight twist to it, but so does every take on the idea(of evil, har har har).

Augus posted:

I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't magic in Berserk still follow that principle? Trolls and unicorns exist because humans came up with them.

The difference is that those creatures are explicit ideas instead of a personification of an abstract concept based off a subconscious human desire. Even if the myths can vary, the base idea is there."Oh, its a horse with a horn,, the horn has magical properties", That is why the Idea of Evil is an interesting take to me. Because no individual* came up with it and defined it.

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Apr 16, 2018

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
berserk's supernatural elements comes from people wanting reasons. saw something spooky in the woods? it was a dragon. wife dies in childbirth? evil witch. orphan abandoned by parents? demon child. have a good life? it was fated. have a bad life? it was fated. its simple as hell and people inevitably make it complicated.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Billzasilver posted:

The only people who say Golden Age is best are the Griffith fanboys. Which is about 80% of the total fanbase. And they are all wrong.

Golden Age is the best in large part because it establishes how and why Griffith is such a monster, and grounds his monstrosity in human pain and want. It also just has the best character writing in general.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I mean Berserk's art gets steadily better as the series goes on and that's really what makes the series extraordinary anyways, so liking the Golden Age best sort of means wanting something different from Berserk than it's actually best at, but that's where I'm at. I just don't find the stretches of Berserk that are mostly spectacle + Guts being a rage monster and/or leading his final fantasy party towards a physically distant goal with relatively little internal conflict in the group very interesting. Hopefully now that Casca's awake the dynamic will get a little more complicated.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

lobster22221 posted:

Golden age doesn't have puck. Therefor Golden age can't be the best arc.

Puck is in the Golden Age. He meets Rickert in the caravan right before the Eclipse.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Radish posted:

People willing entities into existence through belief is a common enough trope in Japanese culture/entertainment that I doubt Miura would see it as directly ripping off any particular franchise.

See also: One-Punch Man, Final Fantasy XIV, Final Fantasy X, American Gods

Elentor fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 16, 2018

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I finally got to the Skull Knight's intro in the manga.

What a cool dude.

Does Rickert age? I feel like even though he's a kid he's looked the same since Guts joined.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Bug Squash posted:

I don't think the Idea of Evil has wants. It's the barest manifestation of man's desire for there to be a reason for the hell world they live in. Void too seems to be more an administrator than a prime mover. Griffith's ambition is endless though, but he's just cut himself while shaving.

^^^^

EDIT: Spoiler tagin this speculation because I don't want to ruin anything for Viridiant or any other new reader.

They wouldn't probably mind if the Abyss claims and swallows everything though, so I still think that this is a significant possibility and the ultimate outcome of the tides of Causality, if not the original purpose of the Idea of Evil -- in whatever canonical shape it may ever emerge, was brought to do. Be a reason for why hell claims the world because Griffith's ambition brought all of Fantasia mostly together under the banner of Falconia and a kingdom is not enough for the Hawk, thus 6th and final Eclipse.

Also he's sorted hinted at way back in Volume 24, episode 202, page 20 in "Magic Stone" by Flora as "[The Godhand are] executors of the will of something lurking in the distant Abyss" and according to some Skullknight questionnaire WAAAY back in 2009, Miura may still be unsure if he will use Idea of Evil or not. He just thought that "The existence of a God was too limiting and Finite for a world", but that was again, almost a full decade ago and Berserk could be ready for a third act.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 16, 2018

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

temple posted:

berserk's supernatural elements comes from people wanting reasons. saw something spooky in the woods? it was a dragon. wife dies in childbirth? evil witch. orphan abandoned by parents? demon child. have a good life? it was fated. have a bad life? it was fated. its simple as hell and people inevitably make it complicated.

oh yeah? then wheres Santa Claus, smart guy?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Terror Sweat posted:

oh yeah? then wheres Santa Claus, smart guy?

Uh, DUH, he's hanging out with his Elves in Elfhiem! Who do you think makes all his toys and food? The Elf Queen, obviously!

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Darko posted:

Puck is in the Golden Age. He meets Rickert in the caravan right before the Eclipse.

I had forgotten. My memory is poo poo.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

lobster22221 posted:

I had forgotten. My memory is poo poo.

Don't worry. I did too. I literally just read that part today and went back to your post.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Crabtree posted:

Do they? The Idea of Evil isn't malicious. Bad things existed on earth before it, it came into being as a way of justifying why bad things happen. If anything I'd think it would want to impose more of a "narrative structure" or sensible cosmology on the world so that humans understand why things are a certain way. Griffith is the keystone in restructuring the world so that everything makes sense; Follow Griffith and live in Falconia and life will be good, venture outside and get murdered by the demons of your own making (assuming all the fantasy creatures are also products of human imagination affecting the astral world.)

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The whole thing is going to end with Guts giving Griffith a big hug and saying I forgive you.

The idea of evil will explode into nothingness.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
group hug

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
The real Idea of Evil is the friends we made along the way.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
guts and casca are gonna do a sekiha love love tenkyoken and obliterate griffith from the fabric of reality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
i hope guts cuts someone in half