Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

That was a fantastic fight

There better be a rematch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
The May 5th date in Vegas has been canceled and a prospective GGG fight is supposed to be at the StubHub center. Both Spike O'Sullivan and Vanes Martirosyan have been tabbed as possible opponents

https://twitter.com/boxing/status/983769141038501888?s=19

https://twitter.com/latimespugmire/status/983431950479245312?s=19

Edit: Vvvv Were you at StubHub when triple G fought Rubio?

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 10, 2018

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Golovkin fighting in StubHub Center is maybe the first piece of good news I've heard all year.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Jermell Charlo (the 154 pound twin) is fighting Austin Trout on June 9th. Trout is a solid pro, but has settled in to more of a gatekeeper type of fighter at 154 pounds, and Charlo should have limited trouble in winning the fight. Assuming he gets past Trout, a fight with Jarrett Hurd would be one of the top 5 fights in boxing to make significance wise; a unification bout involving 3 of the major belts between the top two junior middleweights in the sport. Hopefully it happens before the end of the year.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Trout's in that awkward spot of being a top 10 dude, but being a gate keeper for the true elite of the division. Should be good, but since he already lost to the other Charlo I think this goes the same way.

Meanwhile the GGG fight is a mess, they should just cancel it to make room for the BJS fight at this rate.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
Ggg can fight a dude off the street and I’ll go watch it at the stubhub. This is the best thing that could have happened from a lovely situation.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Gary O'Sullivan isn't far off a random person off the street tbh

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
O'Sullivan declined the fight anyway. At this point, the May 5th date is in jeopardy. Better to push it out and fight Saunders, if they can make that happen.

Ideally GGG would have fought Andrade on May 5th but no chance he's taking on a long slick young blue chip guy on short notice.

Cigar Aficionado fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 12, 2018

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

I would love a ggg Andrade fight but yeah that’s not happening on short notice. I’m only replying though because you made me chuckle when you called him young

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
drat he's already 30? He's frittered away most of his career, and only fought 5 times in the last 4 years. Tragic.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
tyson fury is back and fighting on june 9th in manchester according to frank warren

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Marching Powder posted:

tyson fury is back and fighting on june 9th in manchester according to frank warren

I am curious who the opponent will end up being. I saw in reddit that it's supposed to be a total can leading into a fight with Shannon Briggs around October (let's go champ!). Then presumably live competitive heavyweight boxing

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Edit: Let's go champ (with the double posting)

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
if they don't announce the opponent it's a bin man for sure. not that i blame him, he's been out for a long rear end time and got into horrendous shape both mentally and physically.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

A total can leading into a fight with Shannon Briggs, loving hell what sort of creature will it be

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
The piss tape is real my friends and Francisco Vargas proved it tonight

https://twitter.com/ryansongalia/status/984637072534396929?s=19

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

The SituAsian posted:

Glorious

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
This makes me happy.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

The SituAsian posted:

Good.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The SituAsian posted:

After that fight, the piss will be red

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Hey, so I started volunteering for Big Brothers and my little bro likes boxing. I've never been like a regular watcher though I like just watching random old fights on youtube and stuff. Is there any online resource (free is great but cheap is fine) where I can just watch shitloads of reasonably current boxing? Any particular fighters I should learn about ASAP? I don't wanna be an impostor or anything but I'd like to not be clueless if he talks about it.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Hey, so I started volunteering for Big Brothers and my little bro likes boxing. I've never been like a regular watcher though I like just watching random old fights on youtube and stuff. Is there any online resource (free is great but cheap is fine) where I can just watch shitloads of reasonably current boxing? Any particular fighters I should learn about ASAP? I don't wanna be an impostor or anything but I'd like to not be clueless if he talks about it.

You can get a lot off youtube. Even within a few days of a fight there is usually a full fight posted. ESPN+ is going to carry a fair amount of content if you are in the US.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Work your way through this list on Youtube, about 90% of the fights listed in the OP are on there in decent quality.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Boxing/comments/421fdq/the_greatest_sport_on_earth_a_guide_to_the_best/

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Hell yeah, thanks folks. I don't wanna be an impostor or anything. I just wanna know enough that if he wants to talk about it he doesn't feel like "forget it, it's hopeless." If I have that to work from hopefully he'll be able to teach me a thing or two.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

butros posted:

Work your way through this list on Youtube, about 90% of the fights listed in the OP are on there in decent quality.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Boxing/comments/421fdq/the_greatest_sport_on_earth_a_guide_to_the_best/

Thanks for this, I remember watching Legendary Nights Hagler Vs Hearns and it was fantastic.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Educate him on the glory that is Marvelous Marvin Hagler. Read up on the background to his fight with Alan Minter and thank me later.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
GGG-Vanes Martirosyan is official for Cinco De Mayo at the StubHub center. He may be stripped of the IBF belt as a result

https://twitter.com/danrafaelespn/status/986636729196171264?s=19

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

The SituAsian posted:

GGG-Vanes Martirosyan is official for Cinco De Mayo at the StubHub center. He may be stripped of the IBF belt as a result

https://twitter.com/danrafaelespn/status/986636729196171264?s=19

He gets stripped for not fighting a drug cheat?

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Technically it’s for not facing his mandatory, but in general the ibf is retarded as gently caress when it comes to stripping dudes. Fury was stripped of the ibf belt because he was going to comply with a mandatory rematch with klitschko.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Mandatory challengers are a good idea in theory but in practice the boards need to show a bit of common sense occasionally. There's talk that Joshua might get stripped of one of his belts if he fights Wilder rather than a mandatory (I think Pulev) because god knows the first* heavyweight unification fight isn't a big enough deal to waive the rules just this once.

*Lennox Lewis begs to differ

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I think GGG is mad and just wants to beat the gently caress out of somebody right now and Marti is gonna have a bad time.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

He gets stripped for not fighting a drug cheat?

Yeah, as Mike noted the IBF is the most pain in the rear end when it comes to enforcing their mandatory challenger who is currently an undefeated Russian Sergey Derevyanchenko. I really blame Tom Loeffler for this mess-though in fairness he's done a fantastic job to even get Golovkin to this level-because it seems as if there were no contingencies even though the news broke in early March (and I'm guessing Golovkin's team would've gotten a heads up not too long after the failed test in February). Of course I never thought the fight would have been canceled but it's not my job to manage Gennady Golovkin's career and make the appropriate backup plans. In this instance his team did an incredibly poor job.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 19, 2018

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Khan just won in 40 seconds

FouRPlaY
May 5, 2010

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Khan just won in 40 seconds

On the one hand, I was looking forward to a decent fight. On the other, I have commitments this evening, so I'm glad it ended early.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

frampton vs donaire is good so far

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Didn't really learn anything from it; Donaire is at the bottom of the hill that Frampton has started going down

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
At least Frampton could get a trilogy fight with Leo Santa Cruz

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

beautiful body shots from davis there. can't wait to see lomachenko make him quit

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Gervonta Davis looked good against a guy who looked like he didn’t want to be there. He can’t beat Lomachenko, but Davis looked solid in his own right. He’s world class, let’s see him against some of the other belt holders in the division now.

Jermall Charlo is a serious contender. A fight between him and GGG by the end of the year would be ideal, but fights with Daniel Jacobs or Billy Joe Saunders would also be great. Charlo is amongst the elite at middleweight.

Adrien Broner probably deserved a decision loss against Jessie Vargas, but he also looked good enough in the fight to warrant his career continuing. Hopefully he sticks to 140, where he’s had more success. Every time he fights a welterweight, he doesn’t look highly effective. He could carve out a decent title reign at 140 if he wanted it. He’s a gatekeeper at 144-147.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
it was cool when broner mixed up rodney king and martin luther king jr in the post fight interview