Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

You talk about rooting and tweaking your phone quite a bit. Is it possible the issue stems from a change you've made?

Unrooted/Rooted doesn't change the performance problem. I literally only do it to enable Tethering and that's about it these days.

I do have an App problem. (way to many installed) however I do keep the active running ones in the background down to a minimum. One huge offender in the past was ES File Manger. That app has gone to digital hell in a handbasket.

What I hate is how many other apps and things run in the background eating memory. Things like my FossilQ watch app, gboard when I am using Flesky, all the social media garbage (Facebook, Messenger, Instagram, Snapchat, etc), and various other apps that feel they need to run in the background where they don't actually provide any useful function unless I boot them up. I understand some have push notifications, but plenty of other apps can do that on occasion without having to run 24/7.

I just need to wipe and resist my usual of installing all the apps I may want to use sometime in the future maybe. If I haven't used it in months, it's not important to have installed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

EdEddnEddy posted:

Unrooted/Rooted doesn't change the performance problem. I literally only do it to enable Tethering and that's about it these days.

I do have an App problem. (way to many installed) however I do keep the active running ones in the background down to a minimum. One huge offender in the past was ES File Manger. That app has gone to digital hell in a handbasket.

What I hate is how many other apps and things run in the background eating memory. Things like my FossilQ watch app, gboard when I am using Flesky, all the social media garbage (Facebook, Messenger, Instagram, Snapchat, etc), and various other apps that feel they need to run in the background where they don't actually provide any useful function unless I boot them up. I understand some have push notifications, but plenty of other apps can do that on occasion without having to run 24/7.

I just need to wipe and resist my usual of installing all the apps I may want to use sometime in the future maybe. If I haven't used it in months, it's not important to have installed.

I'm not saying the simple act of rooting your phone is causing your performance problem. I am saying, from what I remember you posting in this thread, you tinker with your phone a lot and if you are rooted you could be changing things that have a negative impact on performance.

My guess is that, on average, other people in the thread run similar apps and if no one else is experiencing the same problem, you may be blaming apps that are not at fault.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

EdEddnEddy posted:

Do a full backup, wipe, install only GApps and Podcast Addict, and see if it's still a problem.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I have nearly all the same apps installed on my phone and my peak memory usage in the past 24 hours is 2.7gb. So, not high enough to kick anything out.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Looks like the Pixel 2/2XL wifi issue is starting to be noticed more.

Reports have picked up on the Google forums and the issue tracker. Seems the April update definitely made it worse, which is when I noticed mine doing it.

My Pixel 2 kills just about any Asus router it connects to, and causes wifi drops on some Netgear routers. It also breaks my friends' Ubiquiti Amplifi system.... Went through the arduous task of a factory reset with no change :/

stevewm fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 16, 2018

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm not saying the simple act of rooting your phone is causing your performance problem. I am saying, from what I remember you posting in this thread, you tinker with your phone a lot and if you are rooted you could be changing things that have a negative impact on performance.

My guess is that, on average, other people in the thread run similar apps and if no one else is experiencing the same problem, you may be blaming apps that are not at fault.

Ah I understand.

No that's not it. I have gone completely unrooted and the issue is the same.

I am wondering if the lag time is something to do with the swap from battery to charging of the phone. My usual process is get into car, turn on Maps, Plug into charger, Put in clamp, fire up Podcast Addict/Google Play Music/Whatever, and off we go. However in the morning this is not a problem. In the afternoon, the phone just seems to do this like its getting plugged in so all the apps have to come out of hibernation and do their checks/notifications/updates/whatever even though I have been using the phone, usually also plugged in right up until I go.

I have recently tried out Live Roads (from some article talking about it's accuracy, yea maybe in whatever test version he was using...) and the performance still is a mixed bag.

The apps themselves work fine once things get rolling, but its the human input and display updates that are rubbish for a short while. Like the phone is throttling even when its not even close to warm.. I can understand it if it was hot but not in this case.

One major amplifier of this terrible performance was loading up the Microsoft Arrow Launcher a while back. That was the only thing I changed at that point and when launching maps in a similar manner, the phone would technically lock up completely from any input, music/podcast would continue to play/stream though, and after about 1-5 minutes, things would eventually come back to normal, but man that was truly irritating as hell.

I think I need a good wipe soon here anyway, but I need a good few hours to backup everything and do it clean from scratch. Then really pay attention to see what may be causing issues.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
I know the Google USB-C to 3.5mm adapter is pretty cheap but was curious if anyone has tried a different one with good results?
If not I'll just spring for the official Google one.
Can't believe I've already lost the dongle my Pixel came with. Probably used it once so far.

#donglelife

Opiumden34
Oct 6, 2014
I have a question about the pixel 2's always on display. Obviously it shows the time, date, and icons for notifications. Does it show the details of any notifications? Such as the full text message, email, or timer/alarm?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Opiumden34 posted:

I have a question about the pixel 2's always on display. Obviously it shows the time, date, and icons for notifications. Does it show the details of any notifications? Such as the full text message, email, or timer/alarm?

The text of the notification shows very briefly when the notification first comes on. Beyond that you just get an icon. If you want to see the details you have to wake up the screen.

For alarms, the next upcoming alarm is always displayed under the clock.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Still having issues with my P2XL (maybe it's oreo specific?) where all chromecast compatible apps will just desync and i lose the ability to play/pause/seek after having started a show or spotify after like 30 mins or so.

For example i'll load up a file in videostream and watch an episode of a show. Maybe about 15 or 20 mins in I'll unlock my phone and try to pause it so i can go to the bathroom or something - the videostream app will still be active on the screen after unlocking it but when I hit pause nothing happens, nor stop or seek or anything else. I have to hit the chromecast button and re-connect to the chromecast, then disconnect and reconnect again in order for the controls to become responsive again. It happens every time I use any chrome cast app, no matter what it is (netflix, spotify, videostream, youtube etc)

Anyone else had any issues like this?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

pissdude posted:

Still having issues with my P2XL (maybe it's oreo specific?) where all chromecast compatible apps will just desync and i lose the ability to play/pause/seek after having started a show or spotify after like 30 mins or so.

For example i'll load up a file in videostream and watch an episode of a show. Maybe about 15 or 20 mins in I'll unlock my phone and try to pause it so i can go to the bathroom or something - the videostream app will still be active on the screen after unlocking it but when I hit pause nothing happens, nor stop or seek or anything else. I have to hit the chromecast button and re-connect to the chromecast, then disconnect and reconnect again in order for the controls to become responsive again. It happens every time I use any chrome cast app, no matter what it is (netflix, spotify, videostream, youtube etc)

This does not happen to me on any Chromecast app. Only Spotify vanishes sometimes but music keeps playing and I reopen the app and it quickly rediscovers itself.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

CLAM DOWN posted:

This does not happen to me on any Chromecast app. Only Spotify vanishes sometimes but music keeps playing and I reopen the app and it quickly rediscovers itself.

the video/music/file will keep playing on my TV but just the app player controls just stop doing anything. I have to either hard close the app or reconnect to the chromecast twice to get the controls to re-engage again.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Peachfart posted:

I was thinking about upgrading from my old Nexus 6, but I was hoping for 4GB of RAM, as I can feel the limitations of 3GB currently.
Oh well, going to keep waiting.

There's supposed to be a 4GB ram / 64GB storage variant.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

pissdude posted:

I haven't had this issue in awhile, but I basically just use the Google home app to play/pause now because it tends to be a lost faster to load up than media apps.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

pissdude posted:

the video/music/file will keep playing on my TV but just the app player controls just stop doing anything. I have to either hard close the app or reconnect to the chromecast twice to get the controls to re-engage again.

Which apps?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

https://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-display-notch-design-patent-855597/

Samsung design patent reveals a notch and we can already hear the screams

:allears:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

gently caress minecraft

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's just shameless.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

And so samsung continues their long tradition of copying apple

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Samsung's 3 2 point design plan.

- Look at what Apple is doing.
- See if it is good.
- Copy it if it is good.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Ola posted:

Samsung's 3 2 point design plan.

- Look at what Apple is doing.
- See if it is good.
- Copy it if it is good.

This bears a striking resemblance to Oneplus' plan.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Blue Train posted:

gently caress minecraft

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who thinks about minecraft with all this notches talk.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Budgie posted:

This bears a striking resemblance to Oneplus' plan.

Except everyone is using copy machines and oneplus is using crayon

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

In this case, it might very well be a manufacturing glut of Apple's displays that is pushing this direction.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

pissdude posted:

this happens to me with Netflix, YouTube and Spotify

not all the time, but enough to be annoying. it's even worse if I try to use any of the apps to control my ps4 instead of my chromecast

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

bull3964 posted:

In this case, it might very well be a manufacturing glut of Apple's displays that is pushing this direction.

Maybe.

Or the fact that nobody outside of China is willing to try and move the notch into a popup camera so we can stop cutting the screen up.

The war on the China phone companies really does suck to. Huawei is making some dang strides in their phones, (And I still loved the Nexus 6P design.) Xiaomi is as well. Hell even Meizu is trying new things that are immensely more interesting than anything Apple is putting out for others to copy. At least LG and HTC did try that 2nd screen on the front thing for a bit, but a full front screen sort of nullifies that where a screen on the back might just be something useful at this point.

HTC and LG really need to kick $ into their R&D and instead of trying to reinvent the wheel, just bring out some creativity and deigns that were successful in the past.

Well.. HTC needs to. LG Designs aren't bad but they have a lot of quality improvements to make to bring back consumer trust I guess.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 17, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The other thing is a patent application doesn't mean they are actually building it like that either, just hedging their bets.

Personally, I just feel like we're chasing diminishing returns and an all glass all screen device is getting really loving boring no matter who it is from and who gives a poo poo what your device looks like when it's built so fragile that your need to cover it from day one.

I miss my Moto X Pure with its rubberised back and a frame that could withstand just about any abuse.

I love how Google just HAD to erase the antenna lines for the Pixel this year so they switch to a coating that's easily scratched rather than anodizing the metal in a durable coating and leaving the antenna lines alone. Great, you made it so I had to use a case to prevent scratches on the coating that was used to hide antenna lines I won't see anyways because you made me use a case.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Blue Train posted:

2018 Nokia 6 got released in the us, $270, 3gb ram 32 gb storage

https://www.amazon.com/Nokia-mobile-Factory-Unlocked-Phone/dp/B07B4KPFKM/

Aaaand it's already sold out.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

bull3964 posted:

The other thing is a patent application doesn't mean they are actually building it like that either, just hedging their bets.

Personally, I just feel like we're chasing diminishing returns and an all glass all screen device is getting really loving boring no matter who it is from and who gives a poo poo what your device looks like when it's built so fragile that your need to cover it from day one.

I miss my Moto X Pure with its rubberised back and a frame that could withstand just about any abuse.

I love how Google just HAD to erase the antenna lines for the Pixel this year so they switch to a coating that's easily scratched rather than anodizing the metal in a durable coating and leaving the antenna lines alone. Great, you made it so I had to use a case to prevent scratches on the coating that was used to hide antenna lines I won't see anyways because you made me use a case.

I still have this sliver of hope that, once manufacturers realize smartphones are a commodity, they'll stop trying to reinvent the wheel and just produce a boring but solid phone with one or two specializations (camera, music, games, rugged, etc.). A man can dream!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

axeil posted:

They're actually not supposed to come out until next month I believe. I'll get the 4GB ram model. I was gonna bring over a 7+ but it would probably only work on 3G with AT&T.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I hope there's an Amazon Prime version. They got rid of the lock screen ads so it's not bad.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

axeil posted:

Can try at Walmart but it's a couple dollars more

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nokia-6-1-TA-1045-32GB-Unlocked-GSM-4G-LTE-Android-Phone-w-16MP-Camera-Black/654646325

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Is that one really 4GB of ram? I thought only the 64GB model had that.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

pissdude posted:

I have this off and on with a Galaxy S6 and a Chromecast Ultra, most often in Netflix and Youtube. I don't think I've ever had it happen in Plex but I could be misremembering. It seemed to happen less on my first Chromecast 1, so it could be an issue with 5ghz wifi on the Ultra in my case?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Charles posted:

Is that one really 4GB of ram? I thought only the 64GB model had that.

Same model number as the Amazon listing so yes, the Walmart page is incorrect.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

I'm holding out until we hear about the Moto G6 this week. I'm on Verizon too so getting a new phone is an absolute nightmare. It's why I love my 2015 Moto X so much. Just had to go on their site, order it and pop in my old SIM. It looked really neat too because of the Moto customization. Why'd Lenovo kill that all off?

I just want a phone without shitware that has a headphone jack, why is this so hard!?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
It's going to be Nokia 6 2018 vs. Moto G6 for the Something Awful 2018 Title, with the Nokia 7 Plus (which looks awesome from the early reviews for $400) if the global bands match TMO and AT&T well enough. We'll probably have our new god by the end of April. It'll probably be a Nokia since the Moto update scene is so horrible.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FistEnergy posted:

It's going to be Nokia 6 2018 vs. Moto G6 for the Something Awful 2018 Title, with the Nokia 7 Plus (which looks awesome from the early reviews for $400) if the global bands match TMO and AT&T well enough. We'll probably have our new god by the end of April. It'll probably be a Nokia since the Moto update scene is so horrible.

The G6 Plus has a faster LTE chipset than the Nokia 6 (2018), while my G5 tops out around 50mbit I'd expect the LTE-A in the G6 Plus to be able to do ~100mbps.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Twerk from Home posted:

The G6 Plus has a faster LTE chipset than the Nokia 6 (2018), while my G5 tops out around 50mbit I'd expect the LTE-A in the G6 Plus to be able to do ~100mbps.

I didn't hear about that. Even when I'm right by a TMO tower I really don't do better than 30 down and 20 up. I wonder if a faster chipset would make a difference, or if it's simply increasing the cap? I'm not up on LTE network tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FistEnergy posted:

I didn't hear about that. Even when I'm right by a TMO tower I really don't do better than 30 down and 20 up. I wonder if a faster chipset would make a difference, or if it's simply increasing the cap? I'm not up on LTE network tech.

Depends where you are, what your local tower hardware is, and how crowded your local tower is. I think I've got a pretty ideal setup at home, my LTE speeds are much slower in the big concrete office building at work.