Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Funny you mention PUBG as Fortnite does seem to be cutting into their userbase. Probably because the BR mode is free to play.

Which is also the only way a Destiny clone might have a chance. Even if Destiny 2 flopped due to publisher greed, Anthem probably needs a lower entry barrier to work, but it'll likely be the full AAA price dye to its budget.

And it is very likely to kill the shambling skeleton of Bioware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
athem is gonna suck so much rear end

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Milky Moor posted:

"hey guys remember that thing that everyone liked in ME3, but only really worked because it was in the final piece of DLC for a beloved trilogy? well, what if we put that in our horrible spin-off"

also let's make it a *fetch quest* that arbitrarily pauses for hours on end so the story can catch up

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Nasgate posted:

This is mostly where I come from. 2 is a great game executed poorly. DA:I is a poo poo game executed professionally. Origins is an okay game executed archaically. Also, since the Dragonlance ripoff blight plot wasn't the main plot in 2, it's automatically better story wise than the other two.

Da2 has no good things except the concept. Every character is awful, the combat is some kf the shittiest I've ever seen in a big budget game, the encounter design is hosed, there is basically no plot and what is there sucks. Should I side with the military or the mages who are literally all evil murderers including their leader what a loving dilemma

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mokinokaro posted:

Funny you mention PUBG as Fortnite does seem to be cutting into their userbase. Probably because the BR mode is free to play.

Which is also the only way a Destiny clone might have a chance. Even if Destiny 2 flopped due to publisher greed, Anthem probably needs a lower entry barrier to work, but it'll likely be the full AAA price dye to its budget.

the issue is destiny 2 is one of the shallowest games i ever played. the gunplay is fun and good, but the quests are shallow, the story is non existent and meh and overall its "games as a service". EA being the lovely vultures they are trying to rip off a already shallow francise which they will only make worse because of their lootbox bullshit.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the issue is destiny 2 is one of the shallowest games i ever played. the gunplay is fun and good, but the quests are shallow, the story is non existent and meh and overall its "games as a service". EA being the lovely vultures they are trying to rip off a already shallow francise which they will only make worse because of their lootbox bullshit.

My hope for anthem is that without the 'Destiny PvE sandbox is PvP sandbox' or Division 'pvp sandbox is inherently unbalanced unless it's 4v4 battles and then it's just kinda loving lame' that the Anthem PvE can just focus on being fun. It's a slim hope I know but maybe just maybe it will happen.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

My hope for anthem is that without the 'Destiny PvE sandbox is PvP sandbox' or Division 'pvp sandbox is inherently unbalanced unless it's 4v4 battles and then it's just kinda loving lame' that the Anthem PvE can just focus on being fun. It's a slim hope I know but maybe just maybe it will happen.

as a old fan of bioware. i genuinly hope the game is decent if not good. the issue is with EA being as poo poo as it is right now and Bioware being in flux. i have bad feelings.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

as a old fan of bioware. i genuinly hope the game is decent if not good. the issue is with EA being as poo poo as it is right now and Bioware being in flux. i have bad feelings.

Hope is for the weak. Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

Da2 has no good things except the concept. Every character is awful, the combat is some kf the shittiest I've ever seen in a big budget game, the encounter design is hosed, there is basically no plot and what is there sucks. Should I side with the military or the mages who are literally all evil murderers including their leader what a loving dilemma

You uh, just described every Dragon Age game my dude. Maybe if you're going to argue talk about things specific to one game instead of the baseline for all 3?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Moola posted:

athem is gonna suck so much rear end

I'm not convinced it'll even be finished.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
The thing that puts Dragon Age 2 at the top of my list of worst games i've ever played list is how absolutely insulting it is to the player.

The game is so lazy, there's about 4 actual screens where combat happens: Hallway, Cave, Rockey Ravine and City Exterior. They just move what doors are open in each around. For every loving encounter.
The combat is lazy, which comes from their want to get away from "hard RPGs" which "No one wants that kind of game" (In a year Witcher 2 and Dark Souls both came out to near-universal acclaim)
The writing is lazy, but that's just bioware.
Even the ending is lazy poo poo. I never met their self-insert-mary-sue-darling the Pirate Lady in the game as I stopped carring and just wanted to end the game, and at the end is has my character vanishing off into the sunset "with her best friend", the pirate lady, who i didn't even know existed at the time. That put a perfect cap on that insanely poo poo game after the "BLARGH IM EVILLLLLLLL" blood mage dragon ball z end fight.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
In other RPG news

Ash of Gods is out... And has way more C&C than anything Bioware put to date.

Its soundtracks are made by the same guys whom made the Witcher3 tracks. Absolutely superb. Only an hour In but I like it alot!

Just listen to this loving track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA830fJSH30

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ash of Gods is so similar to Banner Saga it's surprising they aren't being sued. The art style themes and plot structure are practically identical.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Arglebargle III posted:

Ash of Gods is so similar to Banner Saga it's surprising they aren't being sued. The art style themes and plot structure are practically identical.

rear end of God's

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Arglebargle III posted:

I swear their characters even match up, vaguely or otherwise, based on some screenshots I've seen.

I imagine it falls into that grey area where overwhelmingly obvious 'influence' and 'inspiration' doesn't quite hit copyright infringement as they haven't used any assets or whatever.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

real talk, everyone I knew who played PUBG now plays Fortnite because it is an actual, fully realized, non-poo poo game that just happened to be a totally different game at launch

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

rear end of God's

the hand isn't small enough

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Milky Moor posted:

I swear their characters even match up, vaguely or otherwise, based on some screenshots I've seen.

I imagine it falls into that grey area where overwhelmingly obvious 'influence' and 'inspiration' doesn't quite hit copyright infringement as they haven't used any assets or whatever.

It's a shame too because Banner Saga is trash and AoG seems like it has decent combat.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
lol http://blog.bioware.com/2018/04/16/studio-update-from-casey-hudson/

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Everything's fine, we're all fine, here, now. How are you?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Casey Hudson posted:

That experience ultimately became a defining moment in refocusing BioWare’s mission. We need to delight players with new experiences and innovation, but we must stay focused on the importance of the world, character, and storytelling elements that players expect from our games. And our games must be designed to continue delivering new stories and experiences, in an ongoing relationship with players in the worlds we’re evolving together.

Translation: We've scuttled absolutely everything else in favor of Anthem, our lifestyle forever game with microtransactions.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm glad this game is going to be taking inspiration from huge successes Overwatch and Fortnite, and not bloated disaster Destiny 2.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Anthem might find some measure of success if only because destiny 2 on PC is such a horrible shitshow and shows no sign of improving

But only might

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

bad thing happened and to assure you it won't happen again we'll use language so vague w/o offering anything tangible that you'll suspect it'll happen again anyway

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Milky Moor posted:

Anthem might find some measure of success if only because destiny 2 on PC is such a horrible shitshow and shows no sign of improving

But only might

Is the situation particularly bad on PC?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Rinkles posted:

check out the destiny 2 PC thread or maybe ABGD can lay down some particulars

But yeah, it's real bad

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Glad i skipped that then.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

F

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Rinkles posted:

The gunfeel is nice, the game is fun, the content is limited.

You never feel you are finding cool loot as most if it comes out of loot boxes and not the game world.

No idea about its sustainability as a multi thousand hours played hobby though, which is where the anger comes from(?)

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Strategic Tea posted:

The gunfeel is nice, the game is fun, the content is limited.

You never feel you are finding cool loot as most if it comes out of loot boxes and not the game world.

pretty much this

leveling and hitting the cap felt good then there's literally nothing to do and their expansion was the laziest poo poo i've ever seen

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

pretty much this

leveling and hitting the cap felt good then there's literally nothing to do and their expansion was the laziest poo poo i've ever seen

I found Destiny 1 to be pretty poo poo too. I mean the most disappointing part was that it was supposed to be this FPS MMO lite thing, and once you finish the story missions there's no new content. You don't get a new planet to explore, there aren't new areas on the planets you already have, it's all multiplayer arena, or collect 20 monster bungholes, or replay the story missions.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Ah but you see the micro-transactions are so they can make more, constant, content!

*walking away with bag of money*

huh? content? never heard of it

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Ah but you see the micro-transactions are so they can make more, constant, content!

*walking away with bag of money*

huh? content? never heard of it

I honestly would be cool with a half-decent FPS roguelike. I mean XCOM 2 does really well at slapping a bunch of premade sections together to create a unique mission every time, it shouldn't be difficult to do something similar with FPSs anymore.

Hell, you could even incorporate micro transactions easily

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Destiny 2 is so bad that discussion of how it is so bad has spilled into multiple other thrads

it cannot be contained!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Moola posted:

Destiny 2 is so bad that discussion of how it is so bad has spilled into multiple other thrads

it cannot be contained!

It's forums Grey Goo :ohdear:

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Iron Crowned posted:

I found Destiny 1 to be pretty poo poo too. I mean the most disappointing part was that it was supposed to be this FPS MMO lite thing, and once you finish the story missions there's no new content. You don't get a new planet to explore, there aren't new areas on the planets you already have, it's all multiplayer arena, or collect 20 monster bungholes, or replay the story missions.

Destiny 1 was incredible if you had Bros for PvP and raids, and even without the the strikes were good.

I mean it had a ton of flaws but having a bad endgame was NOT one of them.*

*After they worked the kinks out

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I’ve always wanted xcom, but with fps instead of turn based strategy

Like, gimme xcom’s geoscape, and swat 4 with aliens and I’m happy

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
http://blog.bioware.com/2018/04/17/bioware-store-temporarily-closing/

Bioware store "temporarily" closing. Closeout prices for crappy Ryder merch, get it while it's hot!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DrNutt posted:

Bioware store "temporarily" closing. Closeout prices for crappy Ryder merch, get it while it's hot!

Less of a fire sale and more "It didn't sell so we're gonna take it all out back and set it on fire".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

DrNutt posted:

I am sad to announce that the Peebee jacket is sold out of XL and XXL sizes.