Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Yuzenn posted:

I mean his current budget deck is this https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-88-30-tix-mono-white-leyline-tokens-modern and it went 4/5 in matches for 30 tix

Hah, I'm glad you pointed this out before all the prices spiked too much. This is exactly my kind of deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I would totally build that deck if Legion's Landing wasn't so expensive. I have almost every other card in the deck.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

CompeAnansi posted:

Hah, I'm glad you pointed this out before all the prices spiked too much. This is exactly my kind of deck.

Leyline of the meek went up 1500% lol

Seriously if he just would tip me off on which decks he is using i'd make a pretty penny buying up the decks prior....

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
bring back extended

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

precision posted:

None of my friends are interested :( I tried to get my wife into it but she can't handle the complexity.

I guess I'll stick with Arena and see how the economy of that turns out.

I guess I should maybe be more clear about what my issues are. Money is not the issue at all. I could buy a top tier Modern deck right now if I wanted to. It's just that I sincerely don't like how "broken" the format is. I'm not saying that as a bad thing, I think it's great that players have put together optimal decks, but to me it feels like playing a fighting game where you just pick a character. I like building decks from the ground up and "solving" the meta myself.

As for Standard, I would probably have fun with it, but I hate the idea of cards rotating out, especially since they rotate very quickly in Standard.

Nobody plays Limited or Draft at the comic shops near me. I've tried that.

As others have mentioned, the internet exists. But to be more clear, you are trying to pit your deckbuilding skill against hundreds or thousands of other players who like this kind of deck or that kind of deck and will spend countless hours discussing strategies vs. other popular decks, specific cards etc. You are unlikely to be good enough at magic to build something equal to that sort of collective deckbuilding conciousness.

If you like meta solving and deckbuilding, then draft/sealed or a deckbuilding LCG other than Magic are more likely what you are looking for. Constructed Magic on any tournament/event level is full of known tuned decks. The thing is, these decks still have some wiggle room for individual choices and ideas, but obviously much less. the modern metagame is an amorphous thing that shifts and evolves. You have to watch it and keep up with it to see it and understand it though, and it sounds like it just is not your thing.

When I started playing again a couple years ago after a long time of not playing, the thing I liked the most about modern was a chance to get to play with all the good cards and decks for a price that wasn't legacy/vintage. Even as a kid I would read event reports and the duelist etc. and I wanted to play Necro, Prosbloom, UB teachings/Dralnu etc. but couldn't afford it. Now I have a lot of good powerful decks and it is awesome.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I've never been to a prerelease before, but I'm going this weekend and am very excited! Are there any useful things I should know beyond the info in that sheet they put in the box? I'm not sure of even basic things like "do you get to keep the cards"

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Do you think the RRR cost Goblin is likely to see any play in the deck?

How does that thing not have haste?

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Yuzenn posted:

Seriously if he just would tip me off on which decks he is using i'd make a pretty penny buying up the decks prior....

I just built 8 whack again and I'm already up $50

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

vegetables posted:

I've never been to a prerelease before, but I'm going this weekend and am very excited! Are there any useful things I should know beyond the info in that sheet they put in the box? I'm not sure of even basic things like "do you get to keep the cards"
Yes, you get to keep the cards. :shobon: You'll need to borrow the lands at the store, however, so try to return those. The official prerelease primer isn't a bad read. If you're looking for some advice on which cards to pick, Luis Scott-Vargas is doing a set review on Channel Fireball, and they'll update with a new article for each colour every day.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

mcmagic posted:

I mean you can just play boggart ram-gang if you need a 3-mana 3/3 haste goblin

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Yuzenn posted:

SaffronOlive is a net negative to the health of the game.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

SaffronOlive is a net negative to the health of the game.

Finally, something we can all agree on.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

TheKingofSprings posted:

Do you think the RRR cost Goblin is likely to see any play in the deck?

Sideboard card against token decks? Its about the only thing I can think ok.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Precision, you should at least consider standard. It’s the closest I’ve found to the MTG experience I remember from the 90s.

It seems popular on MTGO also as far as casual matches and single games. I never wait more than a few minutes for an opponent.

E: just to elaborate a little, standard seems like there’s enough wiggle room to come up with a brew on your own that can at least not get shutout every time. I personally enjoy going 2-1 with my mostly home-brewed $40 Merfolk deck more than I would enjoy going 5-0 and winning FNM with something off the rack. I get that I’m in the minority on that but I like what i like. :shrug: It seems like in standard you can at least be mediocre on your own, which I don’t think is the case in modern where you have to pick an established deck to play or you are just wasting time and money.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 17, 2018

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
So this serum powder eldrazi stompy deck in modern looks pretty spicy. Anyone here play it?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

With haste it would have been an interesting card, I say that even if the first strike was removed. The lack of haste makes it almost unplayable even in standard.

There are so few goblins in standard right now that the dom additions basically offer no goblin tribal options in the near future. I do appreciate the modern additions even if it doesn't add anything right away.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I don't watch his videos because I don't like his voice, but I think SO is Good for the game.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

fadam posted:

I don't watch his videos because I don't like his voice, but I think SO is Good for the game.

I can't see how anyone can argue otherwise. He's overtly good for the game and if you actually care about lovely MTGO finance (where actually profiting by buying and selling from bots is insanely inefficient and a nearly complete waste of time) that's on you. I don't watch his videos but he's a light in the darkness of the many lovely actors in the competitive scene.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

The American Dream posted:

There’s a star city open coming to my city in a few months. Is it worth going to for the side events or is it going to be a smelly hassle?

Side events are a huge racket. Huge entry fee for only a few rounds, and the only prizes are whatever random junk is on their prize wall.

If anything on the schedule catches your eye or if there's a format you aren't normally able to find opponents for, have fun, but they're totally skippable.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

ShaneB posted:

I can't see how anyone can argue otherwise. He's overtly good for the game and if you actually care about lovely MTGO finance (where actually profiting by buying and selling from bots is insanely inefficient and a nearly complete waste of time) that's on you. I don't watch his videos but he's a light in the darkness of the many lovely actors in the competitive scene.

I can't tell if people hate him because magic has a lovely economic model and anyone putting heat on any card will cause degenerate results or because he has a funny voice. Either way it's WotC's fault, buy proxies, let the world burn.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

ShaneB posted:

Olive has nothing to do with the competitive scene so you can't really compare them.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The American Dream posted:

There’s a star city open coming to my city in a few months. Is it worth going to for the side events or is it going to be a smelly hassle?

I have a really silly friend who does scg side events so he can cash out for SCG tokens. He then somehow turns these SCG tokens into quite a score by the end of the weekend. Some of these dumb tokens demand a price of 5$ bucks or more a piece and its incredible the trades he gets away with. If you have recently bought scg tokens on ebay you have probably bought them from him.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
There is a change to the card coatings to match how the Japanese cards are made starting with Dominaria

http://company.wizards.com/article/news/commitment-excellence

quote:

To give you a preview of what Tom will be talking about, some players with highly tuned fingers may notice a different feel to your Dominaria cards at Prereleases this weekend. As part of our adoption of best practices from our primary printer in Japan, we're rolling out a new coating method for cards in English Dominaria booster packs that we believe is best in class. Tom's first article will explore the finer points of card coating and what that means for feel, playability, and, yes, even that new-card smell.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Legion loyalist is back to being more than a 10 dollar card because why not.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
All y'all arguing that you can't brew your own modern decks and get results are just flatly wrong. You won't be able to win comp rel events, sure, but if you're just going to FNM then modern is a brewers paradise.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

sit on my Facebook posted:

All y'all arguing that you can't brew your own modern decks and get results are just flatly wrong. You won't be able to win comp rel events, sure, but if you're just going to FNM then modern is a brewers paradise.

Perhaps, but if I blame my deck then I don't have to take personal responsibility for my results.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Legion loyalist is back to being more than a 10 dollar card because why not.
Sure

Had anyone heard of the Hollow One or Humans deck 6 months ago? They are the best 2 decks in the format now. That is was is good about Modern (and I don't like Modern)

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

mcmagic posted:

Sure

Had anyone heard of the Hollow One or Humans deck 6 months ago? They are the best 2 decks in the format now. That is was is good about Modern (and I don't like Modern)

GW humans with CoCo was a thing for a while before the 5C Vial versions popped up.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Tainen posted:

There is a change to the card coatings to match how the Japanese cards are made starting with Dominaria

http://company.wizards.com/article/news/commitment-excellence

If anyone watched the preprerelease with LRR you can see the cards are curled fresh out of the packs. So this is just pure horseshit

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

80s James Hetfield posted:

GW humans with CoCo was a thing for a while before the 5C Vial versions popped up.

Maybe but it was terrible. It was the printing of 2 new standard cards that made Humans a real deck...

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

TheKingofSprings posted:

Where Skirk Prospector does have some potential is with Fecundity in a Goblin storm style deck.

Are there other Fecundity effects in modern? Smothering Abomination is a decent imitation (Grim Haruspex doesn't draw off tokens), but it costs 2BB. I guess the cost isn't a big deal in a deck that can run Manamorphose (and maybe Goblin Electromancer for turning Dragon Fodder/Krenko's Command/Hordeling Outburst into rituals).

Seems awful far away from any kind of consistency, but maybe it's possible to go RBg and use some Viscera Seers as additional sac outlets to draw into Prospector with 8 Fecundity effects. :shrug:

Skirk Prospector & Mogg War Marshal is insane and with a little bit of storm Empty the Warrens becomes ridiculous. Claim//Fame might have a place to reuse MWM or get back a Prospector as there are not enough goblin rituals.

myDad fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 17, 2018

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

ShaneB posted:

Bitter Magic Troll who has a pathological need to own every card in Modern and/or have access to every card that could plausibly be played in Modern at low prices, even if Bitter Magic Troll didn't know some card was plausibly playable in Modern.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Probably depends on your store. When I quit playing back in the day, even FNM was mega competitive and grindy as hell.

Didn't help that the prize support - including the promos - was basically all tied up in the top four. You can only go so many weeks getting stomped by very tuned decks and getting nothing for it before it gets old.

Obviously that was that store and not a dismissal of your point entirely, just saying it's not an absolute thing either way.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
On a mull to 5..

it'd be better if Smothering Abomination was 3B or something :shrug:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

myDad posted:

On a mull to 5..

:trumppop:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Going off that early relies on your war marshals all being near the top of the deck, right?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

myDad posted:

On a mull to 5..

Cool, I guess I know what deck I'm building next.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

cheetah7071 posted:

Going off that early relies on your war marshals all being near the top of the deck, right?

Starting hand was like 2 War Marshals 1 Viscera 1 Skirk 1 land, drew a land then Fecundity

e: Okay it's pretty consistent t3/t4

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
t4 should be easy because you can tap out for fecundity t3. But unless I'm misunderstanding, the sequence in that game was two war marshals, each producing net one mana, so you can play fecundity and still have two left to go off with all the two mana spells

I guess I was mistaken about needing the other war marshals near the top to build to an early empty the warrens. There's no need to play empty early in the going-off turn so the war marshals letting you build to four mana can be at the bottom no problem

e: oh I guess t1 prospector, t2 war marshal manamorphose fecundity, t3 go off works too

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

myDad posted:

On a mull to 5..

List???