Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, there was also a small aside about that being the case a ways into the Arkham Knight game.

Which was great because a couple soldiers are grumbling about how "shoot his knees and elbows" is nowhere as straight forward as command implies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The thugs chatting is the best part of any Arkham game

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I was a little annoyed at A Quiet Place because they never really say where the monsters came from.

Still a great movie, but I'd have appreciated a bit more info.

That's a huge plus for me. Because where they are from or what they are is entirely meaningless to both the story and the characters themselves.

Presumably the characters all already have some idea and don't really need to discuss it further.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Samuringa posted:

See also Shadows of Mordor/War and probably the same VAs

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
He'll kill us like he did the Joker!

He'll withhold our medicine?! :ohdear:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Samuringa posted:

“Oh noooo, Wayne-arangs! *nervous laugh*”

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

See also Shadows of Mordor/War and probably the same VAs

Was Thief the first game to have this or does it go back further?

I remember being amazed as a kid playing Thief that the guards had actual conversations like real people.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

poptart_fairy posted:

He'll kill us like he did the Joker!

He'll withhold our medicine?! :ohdear:

A true American hero

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I remember being amazed as a kid playing Thief that the guards had actual conversations like real people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU8gMHDkH48

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

FreudianSlippers posted:

The first game I noticed doing this was No One Lives Forever 2 and it actually bummed me out because the mooks talked about their families and stuff and I had to murder them :(

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Samuringa posted:

The first game I noticed doing this was No One Lives Forever 2 and it actually bummed me out because the mooks talked about their families and stuff and I had to murder them :(

NOLF and NOLF2 both did it.

Beer creates bad guys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2PxxbJydBU
Or does it?

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkc3Ivk7EyQ

If we're talking enemies talking in videogames, here's my gold standard, from Splinter Cell Chaos Theory.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Samuringa posted:

The lack of pointless exposition is a fantastic pro and I'm glad they did it.

Yeah, same here. The wall of newspapers was plenty for me.

Though, I'm really curious as to how effective a huge minefield with a loudspeaker in the middle would be.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
A Quiet Place They should have just tried playing some Slim Whitman from the beginning.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

When the credits rolled my friend and I almost simultaneously said basically that but about Sonic Youth.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

The whole Tinkerbell subplot in Hook is really really bad.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I was a little annoyed at A Quiet Place because they never really say where the monsters came from.

It's a double edged thing for me because I really like exposition but sometimes it's just not good and ruins everything. Like Cloverfield Paradox telling where the monster from the first came from it was really poorly done.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I saw a post about how nobody rips huge farts in A Quiet Place on facebook and now the movie is ruined for me.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I saw a post about how nobody rips huge farts in A Quiet Place on facebook and now the movie is ruined for me.

Maybe they have a stockpile of bean-o

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In the dad's basement work room there's all the newspapers and one of them mentioned a meteor crashing into (I believe) Mexico. So you're probably supposed to assume that's where they came from. Especially since they seemed to be dumb animals and not invaders.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Pussy Quipped posted:

The whole Tinkerbell subplot in Hook is really really bad.

Wait... you don't believe in fairies do you?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

muscles like this! posted:

In the dad's basement work room there's all the newspapers and one of them mentioned a meteor crashing into (I believe) Mexico. So you're probably supposed to assume that's where they came from. Especially since they seemed to be dumb animals and not invaders.

If only the US had built the wall :(

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Even just taking a bad dump would be deadly

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Even just taking a bad dump would be deadly

All you needed was one scene where the family is scavenging in an abandoned store and one of the kids holds up a can of beans and John Krasinski frantically takes it away from them signing no no no and puts it high up on a shelf.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Samuringa posted:

If only the US had built the wall :(

It's true, they weren't sending their best

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Is the hitman's bodyguard not meant to have subtitles for its Russian dialogue? It jumped out at me purely because Isle of Dogs had none, but context and environment filled in the details. Here it was just gruff Russians being gruff into phones.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

With the exception of Shaun of the Dead, I despise Edgar Wright movies.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Mu Zeta posted:

With the exception of Shaun of the Dead, I despise Edgar Wright movies.

Hot Fuzz is much better imo

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Hot Fuzz is just a bunch of references: the movie. At least with Shaun of the Dead it's still a surprisingly good zombie movie with some heart underneath the parody stuff.

I really like Spaced also, so I don't know why his movies are so bad.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The World's End is my favorite of the three.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

The World's End is my favorite of the three.

I like Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz more, but "gently caress off back to Legoland you oval office" is one of my favourite lines in any movie ever.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Hot Fuzz is just a bunch of references: the movie. At least with Shaun of the Dead it's still a surprisingly good zombie movie with some heart underneath the parody stuff.

I feel the exact opposite about Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. Shaun of the Dead seemed to have more references to zombie movies and was okay, but nothing to write home about, while Hot Fuzz was a solid police procedural movie/parody. But to each their own, I wasn't the biggest fan of zombie movies to begin with.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Shaun of the Dead came out before the zombie craze got really out of hand and it kind of loses it's impact today.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Mu Zeta posted:

No, they're all just solid references from start to finish, that's kinda Edgar Wright's thing whether you pick up on them or not. It's obviously subjective if that works for you or not, but Hot Fuzz had a pretty clear narrative.

Wright really balanced the two the best in Spaced though, nothing else he's ever done has come close

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Shaun of the Dead came out before the zombie craze got really out of hand and it kind of loses it's impact today.

There's the pre-Walking Dead zombiessance of the early 2000's, and everything since.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

All you needed was one scene where the family is scavenging in an abandoned store and one of the kids holds up a can of beans and John Krasinski frantically takes it away from them signing no no no and puts it high up on a shelf.

I did like that it looked like the whole store had been scavenged already, except for all the bags of chips.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I liked A Quiet Place except for the ending. That felt like a mashup of two movies which I really don't like. Skyline, where the movie ends right when the main character becomes a badass. And Independence Day: Resurgence where the character basically looks right into the camera and says, " and now we are going to make a sequel."

It spoiled the movie for me.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
I thought it was more of a "We are going to die, but we're going to fight to the end" because there's no way they can handle all the creatures that are going to storm that little basement without a couple of deaths, and after that, they're doomed anyway.

The movie gave me an On The Beach impression, the characters - at least the adults - knew that they wouldn't last long but they would at least make the most of the situation before it became unbearable.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I didn't see the ending as sequel bait. If there's one thing that annoyed me about A Quiet Place, it's that the movie took place 400 some days after the invasion. If they stuck to the 90 days in the beginning then that could explain why Emily Blunt was pregnant and also why frequencies weren't used as soon as it was found out the creatures hunt by sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Decrepus posted:

I liked A Quiet Place except for the ending. That felt like a mashup of two movies which I really don't like. Skyline, where the movie ends right when the main character becomes a badass. And Independence Day: Resurgence where the character basically looks right into the camera and says, " and now we are going to make a sequel."

It spoiled the movie for me.

I felt it worked perfectly. The horror/suspense portion was over, they knew the monster's weakness now and were gonna start doing what humans do best, killing poo poo. I didn't get the vibe that there was a sequel coming at all.

Samuringa posted:

I thought it was more of a "We are going to die, but we're going to fight to the end" because there's no way they can handle all the creatures that are going to storm that little basement without a couple of deaths, and after that, they're doomed anyway.

I think they had a chance, as far as I could tell the cameras only showed 2 more monsters running towards the house, which backed up the whiteboard listing only three confirmed individual monsters in the area.