Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

suuma posted:

wtf is dragon butt land? Lost Izalith? or the Seath area?

The area after the centipede fight specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

suuma posted:

wtf is dragon butt land? Lost Izalith? or the Seath area?

The lava area between the demon ruins and lost izalith proper.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
Drangleic Castle imo. The basement with the hallway of closed doors is juuuust atrocious.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Looper posted:

how viable is a punch wizard build in ds3?

You can make any weapon work in PvE, some things just take a little more effort. You could definitely make a spellcasting character who uses the Caestus or one of the claw weapons, buff up, use a pyromancy flame or catalyst in your offhand, and go to town.

For PvP, it'd be trickier. The primary niche of spellcasters in PvP is ganging up on someone and zapping them right after they try to avoid an attack from the regular weapons guy who's up in their face, which doesn't really jive with punching. The fist and claw weapons also aren't really very good as primary weapons (although the Caestus is incredibly good as an offhand parrying tool.)

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I enjoyed vanilla Dark Souls 3 more than vanilla Bloodborne. Like I really have no major problems with Dark Souls 3, sure the world design isn't as good as Dark Souls 1 but none of the From games have had that since that game so I didn't really expect it. DkS3 has the best quality of life features in the series and that's a big factor that increased my enjoyment of it.

The Old Hunters is really good though and I haven't played the DkS3 DLC.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

glam rock hamhock posted:

Is there any other area in video games that feels more like it never left the beta stage but somehow ended up in the full game than dragon butt land?

all of mighty number 9

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Is there any other area in video games that feels more like it never left the beta stage but somehow ended up in the full game than dragon butt land?

there are entire games that feel like they never left the beta stage and got released

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Nina posted:

I enjoyed vanilla Dark Souls 3 more than vanilla Bloodborne. Like I really have no major problems with Dark Souls 3, sure the world design isn't as good as Dark Souls 1 but none of the From games have had that since that game so I didn't really expect it. DkS3 has the best quality of life features in the series and that's a big factor that increased my enjoyment of it.

The Old Hunters is really good though and I haven't played the DkS3 DLC.

The DS3 DLC areas were really good, if maybe a bit short. Great bosses though, Friede was a nice challenging surprise after finishing Old Hunters, and the dragon fight is pretty fun once you know what to do.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dewgy posted:

The DS3 DLC areas were really good, if maybe a bit short. Great bosses though, Friede was a nice challenging surprise after finishing Old Hunters, and the dragon fight is pretty fun once you know what to do.

The Ringed city is everything that is bad about dark souls condensed into one dlc imo

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I liked both DLCs very much. I’m definitely still not sick of the formula so it was great having more solid content.

However Ringed City has this one optional, really obtuse and out-of-place puzzle that is the probably the worst moment in all Souls games

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Jay Rust posted:

I liked both DLCs very much. I’m definitely still not sick of the formula so it was great having more solid content.

However Ringed City has this one optional, really obtuse and out-of-place puzzle that is the probably the worst moment in all Souls games

Same, though which puzzle do you mean? The weird one where you have to take the form of a Humanity sprite for some reason?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yup. It's so freaking weird.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wish Xenoblade Chronicles 2 had a battle voice frequency slider instead of (or in addition to) a volume slider. Sometimes the battle call-outs are useful, like when a party member lets you know their special is charged, but other than that it's a total cacophony and I want to listen to the :krad: music drat it

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Anything to do with Valua, in Skies of Arcadia

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

I played PN03 the other day and uh wow is that an unfinished product

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Monkey Fracas posted:

I have fallen headfirst into Hollow Knight; god drat I love it. I love metroidvanias so I don't know why I didn't jump into it sooner- I think I was kinda put off by how plain the game looked in promotional materials and screenshots but it's a totally different beast in motion and not put through youtube's compression algorithms or whatever. I never thought bugs could be so cute

It's such a fantastic little game, and huge by metroidvania standards. I wish it was out on consoles, I don't have a controller on my computer so playing it was harder and more awkward than it should have been.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

haveblue posted:

It's such a fantastic little game, and huge by metroidvania standards. I wish it was out on consoles, I don't have a controller on my computer so playing it was harder and more awkward than it should have been.

Why not just use one of your console controllers on the PC?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Looper posted:

Capcom ran out of gas at the tail end of that "Capcom Five" with the Phoenix project being scrapped altogether, but nobody minds because Viewtiful Joe, Killer7, and Resident Evil 4 were the others and they were made by 3 of the best designers in game history (Suda51, Hideki Kamiya, Shinji Mikami) all of whom left afterwards. That generation of GC/PS2 might have been their pinnacle.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Looper posted:

It may seem primitive today but at the time it was at the cutting edge of butt rendering tech

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

Everything in Ni no Kuni 2 past like chapter 3

Yeah. That eastern hemisphere is dire

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
When I went to my local CEX to get portal 2 for the ps3 I also found the wiiu section ridiculously cheap and snagged a copy of Captain Toad Treasure tracker for £12.

It is one of the most charming games I have ever played! So nice to play a level to completion before drifting off to bed!

I am going to pick up some of the other games I missed (super mario 3D world, yoshi’s woolly world and kirbys canvas brush) they are all £8-£12! So lucky! :D

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

VideoGames posted:

When I went to my local CEX to get portal 2 for the ps3 I also found the wiiu section ridiculously cheap and snagged a copy of Captain Toad Treasure tracker for £12.

It is one of the most charming games I have ever played! So nice to play a level to completion before drifting off to bed!

I am going to pick up some of the other games I missed (super mario 3D world, yoshi’s woolly world and kirbys canvas brush) they are all £8-£12! So lucky! :D
Tbh I always thought you were an American for some reason.

Finding out that all this time you weren't actually on our team...my reality is shattered.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Raxivace posted:

Tbh I always thought you were an American for some reason.

Finding out that all this time you weren't actually on our team...my reality is shattered.

I am on all of our teams. I promise :h:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I finished Yakuza Kiwami with my wife last night! My wife is obsessed with Kiryu now and despises Majima with all her soul. Not as mind blowing as Zero, but I’m gonna die waiting for Kiwami 2.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

vg is extraordinarily british in that he apologizes out of obligation even if he doesn't mean it

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

I finished Yakuza Kiwami with my wife last night! My wife is obsessed with Kiryu now and despises Majima with all her soul. Not as mind blowing as Zero, but I’m gonna die waiting for Kiwami 2.

If you learn Japanese in less than four months you can play the Japanese release. Or get the super-janky PS2 original.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Dewgy posted:

Same, though which puzzle do you mean? The weird one where you have to take the form of a Humanity sprite for some reason?

That is extremely weird lol. I also can't imagine naturally figuring out the Make Contact gesture thing in Bloodborne, either. I know it gets you to the dragon area in DS3 but did using gestures ever do anything in the first 2 games? I forget

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Taintrunner posted:

Did she see 0? Majimas pain is very moving

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The Path of the Dragon thing is heavily signposted (there are bodies doing the pose at the location where you have to use it, you get one piece of a dragon-related item at that location and another one at the place where you also get the pose, and the message system is well-situated for other players to explain to you in-game what you need to do e.g. "try gesture"), while conversely almost none of this is true of the Humanity puzzle. It's been a while since I played Ringed City but I think it even gates non-optional progress through the level, too.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Real hurthling! posted:

Did she see 0? Majimas pain is very moving

Yeah, 0 was how we got hooked on the series.

Poor Nishkiyama!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's really weird to me, having played Yakuza 1 two years ago (and currently the only Yakuza game I've played/beaten), that the 8 year old girl is now an adult and also has a child.

Do they say how old Kiryu is? Because he was in jail for 10 years I think and 10+ years have passed through the series overall. Guy is basically a grandpa now.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah Kiryu’s 35 in 1, he’s 48 now in 6. He’s getting up there, but honestly I think the thing I like most about Yakuza is how the characters have a history, like in the karaoke for 6, Kiryu is reminiscing on his relationship with Nishkiyama who has been long gone. Admittedly it’s a lot of referential humor, but I like stuff like the fortune teller in 0 alluding to the plot of future games or Majima’s bartending session in Kiwami throwing back to 2. Its a really great way to make the setting feel more “real,” by giving the characters a memory that they pull from on occasion.

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 17, 2018

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

al-azad posted:

It's really weird to me, having played Yakuza 1 two years ago (and currently the only Yakuza game I've played/beaten), that the 8 year old girl is now an adult and also has a child.

Do they say how old Kiryu is? Because he was in jail for 10 years I think and 10+ years have passed through the series overall. Guy is basically a grandpa now.

They don't say his age but everyone calls him old man.

That said apparently his canonical DOB is June 17, 1968, which puts him at 48 for the meat of Yakuza 6 (taking place in 2016). He'll be 50 this year. :toot:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

February was also Lara Croft's 50th birthday.

But it's neat Sega has basically aged Kiryu in real time and it doesn't seem like they'll reboot the world any time soon.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think they’re doing a new series around a new character who I don’t like that much so far and I’d rather more Majima than anything.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Kiryu is 20 in 0, it's in his stats if you do one of the underwater arena fights.

edit: and I think Majima says he's 22 at some point.

Samuringa fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 17, 2018

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
https://www.polygon.com/2018/4/17/17248230/call-of-duty-black-ops-4-single-player-cod-blops

Well this would break new ground:

quote:

Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 won’t include a traditional single-player story mode, according to sources with knowledge of the project’s status. The shift in creative direction will make Black Ops 4 the first mainline Call of Duty to ship without a standard campaign.

When reached for comment, an Activision spokesperson said, “We don’t comment on rumor and speculation. We look forward to revealing Black Ops 4 on May 17th.”

The sources, who asked for anonymity, said that as Black Ops 4’s release date approached, it became evident that development on the single-player campaign wouldn’t be completed. One source said Treyarch has since focused Black Ops 4’s development on expanding multiplayer and the series’ popular Zombies mode. The source described an emphasis on cooperative modes as a potential stand-in for the typical single-player campaign experience.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I... I like Call of Duty single player campaigns... this hurts me.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

I... I like Call of Duty single player campaigns... this hurts me.

Yeah, but unfortunately, people like you and me are not the reason this series became annual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The entire ending of the wii exclusive Overlord game.

You fight a boss that feels like it's maybe the midway point of the game and then the game just ends with a cutscene saying "and then you went on and took over everything" more or less

Not a Children posted:

Anything to do with Valua, in Skies of Arcadia

Upper Valua sure but I thought Lower Value was fine enough.

It's a shame you don't get to go back to Upper Valua at all. You can't dock there normally and if you dock back in Lower Valua and run through the sewers to the Upper Valua entrance, it's just closed off.

• Locked thread