Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Commune with the Gods is probably better than Viscera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Isn't Viscera Seer necessary to actually be able to sac on demand?

Edit: Oh I'm an idiot, I forgot that Prospector exists. Fair enough.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Here's what I was testing:

https://deckstats.net/decks/6071/963690-rg-12whack-dirty-kitty

It's the gobots shell (Kuldotha+Signal Pest+8whack). This is a bit different than the all-in-on-combo version, the ability to beat down very quickly is strong too. Also you don't need black for Viscera Seer, Greater Gargadon is enough and doesn't force 3 color.

Basically draw until you Mogg War Marshall or Kuldotha Rebirth, play more creatures, keep drawing, suspend a Gargadon so you can sac artifacts if you run out of goblins, put down a second Fecundity if possible, once you play one Empty the Warrens you can't fizzle. Deck probably wants a third Empty but I gave up on testing the deck as not doing anything special even though it's consistent with the right mulls. I'll probably FNM it at least one week.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Somehow I never connected the term 8whack with the two Bushwhackers. That makes way more sense.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

myDad posted:

Commune with the Gods is probably better than Viscera

TheDemon posted:

Here's what I was testing:

https://deckstats.net/decks/6071/963690-rg-12whack-dirty-kitty

It's the gobots shell (Kuldotha+Signal Pest+8whack). This is a bit different than the all-in-on-combo version, the ability to beat down very quickly is strong too. Also you don't need black for Viscera Seer, Greater Gargadon is enough and doesn't force 3 color.

Basically draw until you Mogg War Marshall or Kuldotha Rebirth, play more creatures, keep drawing, suspend a Gargadon so you can sac artifacts if you run out of goblins, put down a second Fecundity if possible, once you play one Empty the Warrens you can't fizzle. Deck probably wants a third Empty but I gave up on testing the deck as not doing anything special even though it's consistent with the right mulls. I'll probably FNM it at least one week.

These rule, thanks. A shame that Manamorphose is going to be a $10 common forever.

I want to build a version of this that kills with something like Banefire, even though just swinging seems like the most efficient way to do it.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 17, 2018

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

SaffronOlive is a net negative to the health of the game.

How?

He's easily the most entertaining MTG content creator and it's not even close. I watch plenty of streamers on twitch and he's easily the most animated, least jerkish, and arguably the most genuinely fun person in this little diaspora of content creators.

His brews are often cheap, sometimes competitive and rarely complete trash. While he's not the true creator of these decks he often highlights and increases the popularity of these decks and does the playtesting for you so that you can make a decision of if you want to buy the deck to compete or not. 8 whack is a deck that is truely competitive and a really good way for someone to get into modern (the greatest format) without spending a lot of money. I could go on and on about decks that actually can compete but he does two streams a week that are very entertaining and does a crapload of free content in articles and other videos as well.

And honestly jank is just effing fun! EDH is a hugely popular format and it's jank city, why not make these eternal formats fun as well?

I just don't see how you can look a guy making the game more fun for players of all skill levels and think, "yeah that guy is bad for the game"

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

C-Euro posted:

These rule, thanks. A shame that Manamorphose is going to be a $10 common forever.

I want to build a version of this that kills with something like Banefire, even though just swinging seems like the most efficient way to do it.

You don't really ever make unlimited mana. Like, the only mana-positive cards in my deck are Kuldotha Rebirth, Mogg War Marshall, and Empty the Warrens. For myDad's it's only Mogg War Marshall and Empty the Warrens.

Postmortem Lunge can make more Mogg War Marshalls I suppose. But until you Empty you haven't generated a large number of mana, and after you Empty you get the choice between Bushwhacker->swing or Prospector->X Spell. So run myDad's version but replace the Goblin Bushwhackers with Banefire.

Another method would be to run a copy of Lightning Storm, since you draw so many extra lands. Then you don't even need to Empty the Warrens, you can sometimes just kill.

Or you can run a copy of Laboratory Maniac (possibly SB), because once you have the second Fecundity out you can draw your entire deck very easily.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 17, 2018

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Yuzenn posted:

How?

He's easily the most entertaining MTG content creator and it's not even close. I watch plenty of streamers on twitch and he's easily the most animated, least jerkish, and arguably the most genuinely fun person in this little diaspora of content creators.

His brews are often cheap, sometimes competitive and rarely complete trash. While he's not the true creator of these decks he often highlights and increases the popularity of these decks and does the playtesting for you so that you can make a decision of if you want to buy the deck to compete or not. 8 whack is a deck that is truely competitive and a really good way for someone to get into modern (the greatest format) without spending a lot of money. I could go on and on about decks that actually can compete but he does two streams a week that are very entertaining and does a crapload of free content in articles and other videos as well.

And honestly jank is just effing fun! EDH is a hugely popular format and it's jank city, why not make these eternal formats fun as well?

I just don't see how you can look a guy making the game more fun for players of all skill levels and think, "yeah that guy is bad for the game"

Check out the general tone and content of the post history of the people saying that and I think you'll find your answer.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

He's great with subtitles on and audio off.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The only problem I have with Saffron Olive is that random bad old cards nobody plays will sometimes jump in price to 15-20 dollars because of a dumb deck he makes, but that isn't really his fault and is more because of Wizards' awful decisions re: reprints.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

TheDemon posted:

You don't really ever make unlimited mana. Like, the only mana-positive cards in my deck are Kuldotha Rebirth, Mogg War Marshall, and Empty the Warrens. For myDad's it's only Mogg War Marshall and Empty the Warrens.

Postmortem Lunge can make more Mogg War Marshalls I suppose. But until you Empty you haven't generated a large number of mana, and after you Empty you get the choice between Bushwhacker->swing or Prospector->X Spell. So run myDad's version but replace the Goblin Bushwhackers with Banefire.

Another method would be to run a copy of Lightning Storm, since you draw so many extra lands. Then you don't even need to Empty the Warrens, you can sometimes just kill.

Or you can run a copy of Laboratory Maniac (possibly SB), because once you have the second Fecundity out you can draw your entire deck very easily.

I was thinking Banefire for game 2 if they bring in something that stops you from swinging with a bunch of x/1s but if you have a boatload of red mana and cards in hand it's easy to blow up an Ensnaring Bridge or whatever.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The only people to blame for bad cards spiking in prices are
1. WotC
2. MTGFinance idiots.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

The most confusing thing about MTGFinance is the price memory. Like, after that deck was revealed to be a joke, there is no reason that the price should still be 7 bucks. You cannot convince me that many people care about that bad card.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

MTG finance is dumb as hell

Goblin Lore is 30 bucks

bucks

or

43% of a snapcaster for Goblin Lore.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Shadow225 posted:

The most confusing thing about MTGFinance is the price memory. Like, after that deck was revealed to be a joke, there is no reason that the price should still be 7 bucks. You cannot convince me that many people care about that bad card.

I never see anyone play Bitterblossom, but I remember its price going up years ago after it was unbanned and its still worth 20+ bucks I think.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Yuzenn posted:

Goblin Lore is 30 bucks

bucks

or

lmao im glad i bought mine the week saffronolive put the mono-red version up

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

fadam posted:

I never see anyone play Bitterblossom, but I remember its price going up years ago after it was unbanned and its still worth 20+ bucks I think.

It's over $30 lol. I had thought about building this UB Control deck Pascal Maynard streamed on CFB that was running a pair, but that's way too high for a card with two printing and little to no Constructed play.

E: $30 for a mythic is still more understandable than $30 for an uncommon, but Lore sees more actual play than Bitterblossom so it's still funny to me.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 17, 2018

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Soul Glo posted:

lmao im glad i bought mine the week saffronolive put the mono-red version up

Gobline Lore is different than these other cases. Goblin Lore is like Mishra's Bauble. A hot new deck is created that has as one of its essential cards some unknown card that hasn't been reprinted. I expect Goblin Lore to crater just like Bauble did once it gets a sizable reprint. The bummer is that this means you can't play Hollow One until that reprint happens unless you were lucky and already had the cards (or you just like burning money :homebrew:).

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Went 3-1 at the local LGS again with Hollow One.
Lost the last game due to playing horribly, so it was a well deserved loss :(

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

C-Euro posted:

Here is an article by Jim Davis that mentioned this kind of deck a few days ago: http://www.starcitygames.com/article/36941_Goblins-Aint-What-They-Used-To-Be-Except-When-They-Are.html

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
A format where people fear goblins is a healthy format IMHO.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I assume a non-zero amount of price memory comes from the fact that more players buy cards from retailers than sell them back. Players keep the cards that would otherwise tank in price because they quit Magic and just store their cards away, fall victim to sunk cost fallacies (I already paid for this, so even though I can’t use it I might as well keep it), or lose/damage the cards.

The net result is that each boom/bust cycle for a card effectively removes some percentage of its supply from the market.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Someone send pizza to wotc HQ asking for a ringleader and matron reprint in standard. Thanks

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Goblin Grenade, but it’s a tribal goblin sorcery

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What's the lore behind an Umezawa being on Dominaria and not Kamigawa?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Yuzenn posted:

Goblin Lore is 30 bucks

bucks

or

Hollow One is a VERY good deck.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Hollow One is a VERY good deck.

Sure, but Goblin Lore is the first or second most expensive playset in the entire deck, depending on which version you are running.

For a card that is not playable in any other deck.....

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

fadam posted:

What's the lore behind an Umezawa being on Dominaria and not Kamigawa?

You made me look on tumblr for this...

quote:

Let me clarify the Umezawa stuff. Over 1,000 years ago, Toshiro Umezawa ended the Kami War on Kamigawa and the Myojin of Night’s Reach transported him to Madara on Dominaria. 400 years later his descendant, Tetsuo, would use a clever trick to kill Madara’s God-Emperor, Nicol Bolas. 60 years ago Bolas was revived right before the Great Mending (The Eldest Reborn). He got revenge on Night’s Reach and the Umezawa Clan, and his continued wrath is probably why Tetsuko is a fugitive.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Yuzenn posted:

How?

Kinda impressive that you watch MTG content without having ever heard of LSV. Buddy, you are missing out.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Angry Grimace posted:

Bitter Magic Troll who has a pathological need to own every card in Modern and/or have access to every card that could plausibly be played in Modern at low prices, even if Bitter Magic Troll didn't know some card was plausibly playable in Modern.

Wait... are we not supposed to own every card in modern? gently caress. I have been doing it wrong

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

uPen posted:

The only people to blame for bad cards spiking in prices are
1. WotC
2. MTGFinance idiots.

So I shouldn't blame SaffronOlive for encouraging these morons, but the morons themselves?

I may have blamed the wrong actors in this scenario.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I don't care about MTGFinance. I just think he's annoying and puts out lousy content.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Toshimo posted:

I don't care about MTGFinance. I just think he's annoying and puts out lousy content.

His against the odds videos are tolerable because there isn't a live audience. Otherwise it's impossible to listen to his voice thank people for their subscription.

I tried but I just loving can't.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Man, I'd be a great stream announcer-- I've got a sonorous radio voice, trained courtesy of your tax dollars at the Defense Information School at Fort George G. Meade, Maryland.

Sadly I'm not any good at Magic: The Gathering.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Toshimo posted:

Why do you think his content is lousy?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
It's annoying, but it's not lousy. He has a niche that others don't hit, since they generally go for the, 'top player playing a top deck to the best of their ability,' segment. In fact, his videos are often nicely produced, cutting dead air and such. He's just unlistenable. I think I mentioned before I got this close to reuploading his stuff on a shadow channel that simply re-dubbed all his audio lol.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

He's just unlistenable. I think I mentioned before I got this close to reuploading his stuff on a shadow channel that simply re-dubbed all his audio lol.

That's loving weird of you.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Actually as far as bits go that's pretty funny imo

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Owlbear Camus posted:

Man, I'd be a great stream announcer-- I've got a sonorous radio voice, trained courtesy of your tax dollars at the Defense Information School at Fort George G. Meade, Maryland.

Sadly I'm not any good at Magic: The Gathering.

I'm a decent magic player and I literally went to broadcast school and I work on-air.

sadly i don't give a single gently caress about streaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
hot take: SaffronOlive really isn't that bad, you're just really really cynical

He doesn't try to be anything he isn't. Sure the "ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh deck DECK WHY" every game and "ANDTHEOPPONENTSCOOPSITUP woooooOOOOOW WE GOT THERE" stuff is a little grating but there is far worse content to watch. He's just a dude playing Magic without being condescending about it.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 17, 2018