Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Uroboros posted:

Just buy it, the forgeworld transfers are pretty awesome.

That seems to be the prevailing opinion. I really think the transfers are necessary to get away from looking like McDonalds Marines, what with the yellow and the red trim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

TheBigAristotle posted:

That seems to be the prevailing opinion. I really think the transfers are necessary to get away from looking like McDonalds Marines, what with the yellow and the red trim.

1: the FW transfer sheet is amazing and worth every penny.
2: Run your fists as literally anything but 2nd company, since the red pad rims look terrible. I suggest 5th company for black pad rims.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Booley posted:

For $80 you get a mat that's not standard sized, and nowhere near enough terrain to fill it. I agree the realm of battle boards are expensive and fairly big, but you can get a neoprene mat for between $60 and $75 (unfortunately the FLG sale ended yesterday where they were $56), which actually covers the full size of the board, and then you can supplement with either that terrain ($30 buys you the same amount of stuff as in the moon base box) or other ruins/mdf terrain/sector mechanicus/whatever. I strongly reccomend MDF shipping containers, they're a good size for LOS blocking and are appropriate on any battlefield.

What's the best source for mdf shipping containers in bulk on the cheap? They are super flexible and can make a great battlefield if stacked creatively( and store very well) but you need a lot to do that.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

PierreTheMime posted:

They need juice occasionally, which is super annoying since that money could go to new releases.

Pierre with the callbacks.

Man whatever happened to that guy.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Felime posted:

What's the best source for mdf shipping containers in bulk on the cheap? They are super flexible and can make a great battlefield if stacked creatively( and store very well) but you need a lot to do that.

Kromlech has 9 for $34usd, death ray designs has 4 for $20us or 16 for $75us, ttcombat has 3 for $8.50us, miniduels on ebay has them at $18us for 3, Ironheart Artisans have extra long ones (scaled like 40' containers unlike the 20' ones most sites make), but their store is down until the 22nd, warsenal has them for $13 each (I think). Crossover miniatures has 4 for $15 or 20 for $60

ttcombat: $2.85/ea
Crossover miniatures: $3/ea (in bulk)
Kromlech: $3.75/ea
Death Ray: $4.75/ea
miniduels: $6/ea
warsenal: $13/ea

none of those include shipping costs, which could bump the ttcombat and kromlech ones up a fair bit if you're in the US.

I think my favorites appearance wise are the deathray ones, though the ttcombat ones are nice for how cheap they are.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Booley posted:

1: the FW transfer sheet is amazing and worth every penny.
2: Run your fists as literally anything but 2nd company, since the red pad rims look terrible. I suggest 5th company for black pad rims.

I like the red trim :shrug:

I just want the black and white transfers to give the colors some balance

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Booley posted:

Kromlech has 9 for $34usd, death ray designs has 4 for $20us or 16 for $75us, ttcombat has 3 for $8.50us, miniduels on ebay has them at $18us for 3, Ironheart Artisans have extra long ones (scaled like 40' containers unlike the 20' ones most sites make), but their store is down until the 22nd, warsenal has them for $13 each (I think). Crossover miniatures has 4 for $15 or 20 for $60

ttcombat: $2.85/ea
Crossover miniatures: $3/ea (in bulk)
Kromlech: $3.75/ea
Death Ray: $4.75/ea
miniduels: $6/ea
warsenal: $13/ea

none of those include shipping costs, which could bump the ttcombat and kromlech ones up a fair bit if you're in the US.

I think my favorites appearance wise are the deathray ones, though the ttcombat ones are nice for how cheap they are.

Chiming in to also add for $100 from deathray designs you can get the shattered landscape downtown bundle which is Twelve ruined multi-level buildings. It pretty much fills a table especially if you throw in some scatter terrain closer to that 'omega' level.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Pendent posted:

I mean, the board doesn't cover a standard 6x4 gaming table which is inherently pretty noticeable. It's a great buy for people new to the hobby but for those of us that like to play 2000pt games it doesn't seem particularly appropriate.

It's specifically sized for the average dining table. It's a compliment to the starter box.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Someone more familiar with land raiders chime in please: how hard would it be to kitbash a land raider prometheus with the heavy bolts from a razorback / predator sponsons? It seems to me, squinting a lot, that stacking the smaller sponson heavy bolter on top of the razorback bolter, and adjusting the belt on the latter, then making a mirrored pair, would get a pretty decent approximation?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Lungboy posted:

I haven't painted in two years because of babies :(

How are Ad Mech with no Skitarii? I always try to go as low a model count as possible due to the aforementioned lack of painting time, so was thinking of just using Katephron destroyers for my troops.

Okay. You'll pour out a ton of fire and wreck Space Marines all day long, but as soon as they get any close combat units into your lines, you're going to spend the rest of the game retreating and picking up your models.

I played pretty heavy with Destroyers early on in 8th, and finally decided to pick up more Skitarii because the destroyers just weren't doing enough.

If you don't play competitive and just want to play for fun, Destroyers are great. The Heavy Grav Cannons firing off 5 rounds each and rerolling all shots if they're mars and you have Cawl next to them is amazing.

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

So it's true! Mysterio is
gay for sex... with me?

General Olloth posted:

Chiming in to also add for $100 from deathray designs you can get the shattered landscape downtown bundle which is Twelve ruined multi-level buildings. It pretty much fills a table especially if you throw in some scatter terrain closer to that 'omega' level.

Tripling down with some more support for Deathray, I’m assembling a bunch of their stuff right now and they’ve done a fantastic job designing their terrain. I was hesitant to invest in MDF, but these guys have evolved far beyond This Is A Flat Wooden Box.

Also they’re US based so shipping doesn’t take forever like it did with my TTC order.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Zuul the Cat posted:

Okay. You'll pour out a ton of fire and wreck Space Marines all day long, but as soon as they get any close combat units into your lines, you're going to spend the rest of the game retreating and picking up your models.

I played pretty heavy with Destroyers early on in 8th, and finally decided to pick up more Skitarii because the destroyers just weren't doing enough.

If you don't play competitive and just want to play for fun, Destroyers are great. The Heavy Grav Cannons firing off 5 rounds each and rerolling all shots if they're mars and you have Cawl next to them is amazing.

That sounds OK actually. I think I'll start that way and add in minimal skitarii if I really can't get on without them.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

But isn't there a chaos thing that allows cultists to fire 2x? Seems like cheaper + guns matters a lot when looking at the volume of dice being rolled.

It wasn’t an either or - the overpowered lists tended to have lots of cultists (usually backed up by Abaddon to make them fearless) and then a few units of poxwalkers. The idea is that over the course of the game cultists die and are transmuted into endless, seething hordes of Poxwalkers that gummed up the entire table and held every objective. If a cultist unit ever looks short, you respawn with their strategem.

Nick Naniavatti’s 2nd place Adepticon list is a good example from https://thebrownmagic.com/2018/03/20/and-the-adepticon-winning-list-is/

Effectively, the only way to beat the list is to:

1.) get the first turn and wipe all the poxwalkers before their strategems go up.
2.) have such preposterous levels of resilience and anti infantry firepower that you can reliably kill an entire cultist unit a turn so they cant respawn, and then chew through 150 poxwalkers, while tanking everything that it throws at you.

It turned out, eventually, that 7 flyrants could do the latter in the adepticon finals (having fallen short by only managing 28 dead poxwalkers out of 30 turn 1), and even then from the match report Nick would have won were it not for the fact that he agreed to play the game to the end despite being winning when the match time was called.

It would be even worse after the deep strike changes because there would be fewer things that could alpha it off the board.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

It's specifically sized for the average dining table. It's a compliment to the starter box.

I hadn't actually heard that but it does make a lot of sense. My point that the box doesn't make sense for most of us in this thread probably still stands though.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Mef989 posted:

I'd put money that they play, but probably not as competitively as they think. Most of these people are probably those that bought into this army to wreck causal 40k night at their lgs (against people who probably brought more casual lists anyway), and are now whining that they have to find a new army/play fair.

I've always gotten the feeling from other games that the actual tournament players tend to expect these changes and move on, rather than bemoan the fact that their bandwagon list got nerfed.

Most top tournament players have, or have access to, basically every army with every conceivable build, or at least a diverse enough selection of then that they can always follow (or lead) the meta.

One_Wing posted:

It wasn’t an either or - the overpowered lists tended to have lots of cultists (usually backed up by Abaddon to make them fearless) and then a few units of poxwalkers. The idea is that over the course of the game cultists die and are transmuted into endless, seething hordes of Poxwalkers that gummed up the entire table and held every objective. If a cultist unit ever looks short, you respawn with their strategem.

Nick Naniavatti’s 2nd place Adepticon list is a good example from https://thebrownmagic.com/2018/03/20/and-the-adepticon-winning-list-is/

Effectively, the only way to beat the list is to:

1.) get the first turn and wipe all the poxwalkers before their strategems go up.
2.) have such preposterous levels of resilience and anti infantry firepower that you can reliably kill an entire cultist unit a turn so they cant respawn, and then chew through 150 poxwalkers, while tanking everything that it throws at you.

It turned out, eventually, that 7 flyrants could do the latter in the adepticon finals (having fallen short by only managing 28 dead poxwalkers out of 30 turn 1), and even then from the match report Nick would have won were it not for the fact that he agreed to play the game to the end despite being winning when the match time was called.

It would be even worse after the deep strike changes because there would be fewer things that could alpha it off the board.

Yeah it was a vile list. Just endless trash to grind through, endlessly respawning and growing even as you killed it. I'm glad it's dead.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

LifeLynx posted:

Honestly my favorite part of the FAQ so far has been people trying to figure out loopholes in the deepstriking rules like they're attorneys trying to find any minutia in the rules that will let them do what they want.

What I'm doing for my "loophole" with the new DS rules is just load my Scions into a Valkrie.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

Corrode posted:

Yeah it was a vile list. Just endless trash to grind through, endlessly respawning and growing even as you killed it. I'm glad it's dead.

I think two of the top three lists from Battlefield Birmingham are dead now (there was a pox farm and a plagueburst crawler spam), and the UK meta was riddled with Flyrant and custard spam, so im hoping the FAQ is a gigantic shake up.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Eldar everywhere yaaay.

Took my DE out tonight at 1500 against Primaris Marines - Repulsor, Hellblasters with relic flag/captain/LT, some Scouts and Intercessors.

I went first, killed half his stuff and immediately controlled most of the board. It didn't get better for him from there.

He was super unlucky - 5 Hellblasters tripped and died getting out of the Repulsor - but even average luck would have meant I beat him on turn 3 rather than 1.

DE might be strong guys. Craftworlds, Nids and maybe Fire Warrior heavy Tau seem like the counters, but still.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

One_Wing posted:

:words:

Neat, thanks for the explanation. I've been reading Nick's blog and there's an article where he explains how to use big mobs, and his demonstration of cultist movement was hilarious. Basically a balloon expanding the middle of the board to deny charges, LOS, and DS.

I wish more tournaments enacted stricter list-building. And less named heroes.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The funny thing a cultist blob would have been dealt with if pie plate templates were still a thing.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

DancingShade posted:

The funny thing a cultist blob would have been dealt with if pie plate templates were still a thing.

The blob would have been placed 2" apart with agonising care.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Corrode posted:

My problem with those list is that it is boring as gently caress to play against, like you don't get to do anything but kill more loving zombies at some point.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
Deep strike beta rules question:
Can I still use C'tan Shard of the Deciever into my opponent's face?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

R0ckfish posted:

My problem with those list is that it is boring as gently caress to play against, like you don't get to do anything but kill more loving zombies at some point.

Utlimately the entire game is throwing dice at stuff so I don't really get this???

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Utlimately the entire game is throwing dice at stuff so I don't really get this???

Playing against any 'gotcha' list is boring.

When the entire game is reduced to 'my game breaking mechanic' it's no longer fun. No point focusing on objectives, or assaults, or psychic phases. Just one dumb mechanic over and over.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Corrode posted:

The game would have ended in a draw before the end of turn 2, after 2-3 hours of play.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Corrode posted:

Eldar everywhere yaaay.

Took my DE out tonight at 1500 against Primaris Marines - Repulsor, Hellblasters with relic flag/captain/LT, some Scouts and Intercessors.

I went first, killed half his stuff and immediately controlled most of the board. It didn't get better for him from there.

He was super unlucky - 5 Hellblasters tripped and died getting out of the Repulsor - but even average luck would have meant I beat him on turn 3 rather than 1.

DE might be strong guys. Craftworlds, Nids and maybe Fire Warrior heavy Tau seem like the counters, but still.

My old roommate visited with his DE and I didn't win any of the three games.

DE are pretty good right now.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Naramyth posted:

My old roommate visited with his DE and I didn't win any of the three games.

DE are pretty good right now.

Yeah, Lawrence Baker thinks they are almost as good as Tournament Craftworld Eldar. Early to say obviously, but look like they should be pretty competitive.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

DancingShade posted:

The game would have ended in a draw before the end of turn 2, after 2-3 hours of play.

This is why I love Warmachine's chess clocks for competitive play.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'm dusting off my scatter bikes for a couple of upcoming tournaments in anticipation of:
1. DE
2. Necrons
3. Tau
4. Clearing a cultist blob in one go.
5. Genestealers

For 250 points, I think they'll punch way above their weight as the meta shifts away from in-your-face monsters to more low T units.

Side note, apparently the idea that meta means "most effective tool available" rather than a higher order is catching on and it triggers me something fierce when people just make poo poo up to sound in-the-know

Boon fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 17, 2018

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Boon posted:

Side note, apparently the idea that meta means "most effective tool available" rather than a higher order is catching on and it triggers me something fierce when people just make poo poo up to sound in-the-know

Maybe I'm having trouble englishing but what does this even mean?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
It's me, I'm bad at englishing.

In terms of this game, when people say "meta" they're talking in the sense of a higher order, as in the context with which the game is taking place. The army mix, the styles, rules, etc...

I read an article where some guy started talking about meta and spelled it out as "most effective tool/tactic available" which is made up bullshit to sound authoritative

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Boon posted:

It's me, I'm bad at englishing.

In terms of this game, when people say "meta" they're talking in the sense of a higher order, as in the context with which the game is taking place. The army mix, the styles, rules, etc...

I read an article where some guy started talking about meta and spelled it out as "most effective tool/tactic available" which is made up bullshit to sound authoritative

What do you mean by higher order? In general, meta means the stuff that people are playing (for games at least).

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
My favourite part of working in a GW was getting people coming for games nights throwing a sulk if they got paired up against a faction that they were convinced were OP.

Not an army comp or anything like that. The faction. It could be a kid with the basic "One of each slot" army and they'd still whine and bitch about how they couldn't win.

Hams are bad are what I'm saying. Metahumpers can suck my dick.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Ahh! My Howling Griffons insignias and doors arrived! This thing is gonna be sweet!

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

SteelMentor posted:

My favourite part of working in a GW was getting people coming for games nights throwing a sulk if they got paired up against a faction that they were convinced were OP.

Not an army comp or anything like that. The faction. It could be a kid with the basic "One of each slot" army and they'd still whine and bitch about how they couldn't win.

Hams are bad are what I'm saying. Metahumpers can suck my dick.

My absolute favorite was getting a pick up game at a GW store back in 4e. The guy was playing Space Wolves out of their old 3e paperback codex and I was playing Sisters of Battle with Grey Knight allies (out of the WH and DH book when they were the only allies in the game). Dude was super convinced that SoB were OP and couldn't grasp how they cost fewer points than his grey hunters since "SW ARE SUPPOSED TO HAVE THE CHEAPEST POWER ARMOR IN THE GAME!"

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Boon posted:

It's short for metagame you drat kids :argh:

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
So having 8cp in a 1k pts game as marines is extremely nice. Especially with adept of the codex.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

gently caress templates forever. The only tournament I've played in so far was back in 7th with zombies (placed exactly 2" apart with agonizing care) and 3 conversion beamers. I lost so hard to it I haven't played in a tournament since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

Corrode posted:

Jokes on them. The shot would have scattered 5" to the left and thus hit more dudes than if they were a tight clump :smuggo: