Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Peta Credlin having a meltdown about 4 mins in.

I think her robotic, monotone delivery would have to change for it to be classified as a meltdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

JBP posted:

I smoke but I don't like it. As Keanu Reeves says "it's a prison". At least I can derive amusement when smoker crack it or whatever. Don't make everyone else's life miserable... There are still plenty of places to smoke should you walk the entire 5 meter journey away from the shop.

quit smoking.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

quit listening to Keanu Reeves

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I think her robotic, monotone delivery would have to change for it to be classified as a meltdown

She's really difficult to watch and listen to. You'd have thought she would be okay at reading from the autocue by now.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

I smoke but I don't like it. As Keanu Reeves says "it's a prison". At least I can derive amusement when smoker crack it or whatever. Don't make everyone else's life miserable... There are still plenty of places to smoke should you walk the entire 5 meter journey away from the shop.

Legit goodpost from notorious JBP.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

I’m a big fan of people giving heartfelt editorials in the style of someone sight reading a language they don’t speak

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/apr/17/new-zealanders-deploy-helicopters-and-thermal-imaging-to-search-for-lost-dogs

quote:

In three separate cases this year, the search for missing dogs has attracted huge resources, thousands of dollars in donations and filled hundreds of hours as desperate owners have scoured the bush for their best friends.

Frankly, I 100% support using resources to find dogs before finding humans, and hope Australia adopts a similar model.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

I tried and did good once this year I'll regroup and try again :toot:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

JBP posted:

quit posting

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I will never

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

JBP posted:

hang around a respiratory ward in the hospital, that'll make you want to quit. it worked for my partner.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

JBP posted:

I will never

Every time you quit posting you get a little better at it.

Otherwise your forums post... can become user with forums cancer post.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

GoldStandardConure posted:

hang around a respiratory ward in the hospital, that'll make you want to quit. it worked for my partner.

Same but for drinking milk after spending time in the gastroendo ward

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I also fall in and out of a nicotine habit but its because of these lovely jobs I get full of Alcohol and Nicotine addicts that create these crazy power work social cultures where like 30% of the workplace smokes and 10% vapes and the rest go drinking at the lunchtime bar across the road.

Basically what I'm saying is we need to dismantle the class system.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

JBP posted:

I will never

Never stop posting but do mix up the sub forums. It's the only way to keep things fresh.

Also never stop laughing at people who taking posting on the internet far too seriously.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
ABC radio was saying that Weed is deadly and will kill you like alcohol and tobacco.

says it kills absolutely ZERO.

Is this correct? The Greens need to make that point I would think?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Comstar posted:

ABC radio was saying that Weed is deadly and will kill you like alcohol and tobacco.

says it kills absolutely ZERO.

Is this correct? The Greens need to make that point I would think?

Since when have facts been an issue for ideologues?

(talking about the radio person that is)

Anyway we all know the REAL menace threatening our society are those darn kids in their denim trousers and their rock & roll music.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
They were trying to say "Waleed is deadly and will kill you" but they didn't enunciate.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
The joke is that he's muslim and the ABC is the latest masthead of news corp.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.buzzfeed.com/kendalltaggart/nypd-police-misconduct-database-explainer?utm_term=.vj90reXl9#.gva4GP1zY

If you hate cops you might like this.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

G-Spot Run posted:

The joke is that he's muslim and the ABC is the latest masthead of news corp.

You're correct. I think another joke is there are people in this thread who still don't realize the ABC underwent regulatory capture years ago.

Maybe they just don't know what the words mean. :shrug:

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

This reminds me, I recall that BuzzFeed Australia have been responsible for breaking several high profile stories over the last few years, but can't remember which. Anyone care to refresh my memory?

The Michaelia Cash union raid tipoff was one of them, right?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

ABC News posted:

Renewable energy capacity set to exceed target Federal Government said was impossible
By business reporter Stephen Letts

Australia's renewable energy capacity is set to exceed a target the Federal Government said was impossible to reach by 2020, according to new research from Green Energy Markets.

Key points:
Renewable energy capacity is set to exceed 41,000GWh by 2020, a level the coalition government deemed as impossible before it slashed the RET
Market already delivered the government's 2030 emission reduction target, rendering the NEG meaningless: Green Energy Markets

Business-as-usual under the NEG will lead to 118 million tonne shortfall in the government's CO2 reduction commitment
In its quarterly Renewable Energy Index, GEM said the amount of renewable energy generated in 2020 was set to exceed the original 41,000 Gigawatt hour (GWh) Renewable Energy Target (RET) that was in place before being scrapped in 2015 by the federal government led by then prime minister Tony Abbott.

The original RET was put in place to help Australia meet its 2030 climate change commitment to cut emissions by 26 to 28 per cent from 2005 levels. It was replaced by a less ambitious target of 33,000 GWh after the Abbott government characterised the original RET as impossible to achieve, while arguing there was already too much generating capacity. The GEM study found estimated eligible generation would hit 41,381 GWh by 2020, not only exceeding the current RET, but the original RET as well. "The Coalition's argument that we can't go any further than the target they've proposed without imposing some kind of huge economic shock and threat to reliability is obviously not true because we're pretty much already there," Green Energy Markets director Tristan Edis said. "[Energy and Environment minister] Josh Frydenberg himself is saying that all the extra renewable energy that is about to enter the system will substantially push down power prices."

NEG 'meaningless': report
Mr Edis said the Government's National Energy Guarantee (NEG) would in effect deliver no meaningful emission reduction benefit, as projects already under construction and contracted exceed what is needed to achieve its established emission targets. "According to economic modelling undertaken by Frontier Economics for the Energy Security Board, from 2017 onwards we'd need to install 9,271 megawatts [MW] of wind and solar in the NEM [National Electricity Market] to achieve the Government's 2030 emission reduction target," he said. "Yet we already have 9,691 MW of projects that will be delivered in the NEM based on what has been committed to construction and what is being contracted under procurement processes currently underway." Those commitments include 650MW from the GFG consortium to power the Whyalla Steelworks in South Australia, a 500MW wind expansion from AGL, renewable energy auctions conducted Victorian and Queensland governments and a series of other contracts drawn up by generators such as Origin and AGL.

Huge shortfall in CO2 reduction remains
Mr Edis said the NEG in its current form would deliver a result that is almost 120 million tonnes of carbon dioxide short of Australia's commitment to the 2030 Paris Agreement. What is the Paris Agreement? Here's a simple explanation of the agreement, and what it means for Australia. "The maths on the Government's emission target is pretty basic," Mr Edis said. "According the latest emissions projections from the Government's own Department of Environment, the Government needs to find 128 million tonnes of CO2 abatement in 2030 to achieve its economy-wide 2030 Paris emissions target. "Even if Frontier Economics' modelling was right, it means the NEG delivers just 10 million tonnes in 2030 compared to business as usual. "Where the hell is the other 118 million going to come from?" Mr Edis said none of the options the Government had to make up the shortfall seemed likely to work. "If the Government was to adopt the most stringent vehicle emission standard they've contemplated in their consultation paper — which is a big if — then the Government's own estimates are it would deliver 11.7 million in 2030. "The Emission Reduction Fund is almost out of money. "Agriculture? Somehow I can't see a Government made up of the Nationals regulating to control emissions from cows and sheep or land-clearing. "They could pay for abatement but where's the money coming from?"

Record solar PV installation
The Renewable Energy Index found renewables accounted for 19.7 per cent of the electricity generated on Australia's main grids, or enough energy to power 8.7 million homes. According to Green Energy Markets, rooftop solar installations in March were the highest monthly total ever, and over the first three months of the year are running at levels 50 per cent above those anticipated in economic modelling of the NEG. "Households and businesses are continuing to install solar PV on rooftops at record rates in order to reduce their electricity bills. March installs set a new monthly record of 127 megawatts which will produce power equivalent to the consumption of 36,710 homes," the report said. "On top of the underestimates of large scale renewables, it suggests that the emission reduction target could be substantially strengthened at minimal economic cost."

So the impossible target the government said we'd never reach has been/will have been reached. Truly stellar work by this government. Through literally no good policy work they have managed to reduce our greenhouse emissions and meet our targets with seemingly no effort at all, in fact, many would say they appeared to be actively working against such a goal.

Also, I'd like to take a moment to tell my brother he was wrong, Solar Panels are perfectly useful form of electricity generation and a great way to reduce our impact on climate change. Neener neener neener.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
If anyone missed Mad as Hell this week the John Howard phone call might have been the funniest skit he's done yet

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

If anyone missed Mad as Hell this week the John Howard phone call might have been the funniest skit he's done yet

Last week but yes it was a work of art.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Konomex posted:

So the impossible target the government said we'd never reach has been/will have been reached. Truly stellar work by this government. Through literally no good policy work they have managed to reduce our greenhouse emissions and meet our targets with seemingly no effort at all, in fact, many would say they appeared to be actively working against such a goal.

Also, I'd like to take a moment to tell my brother he was wrong, Solar Panels are perfectly useful form of electricity generation and a great way to reduce our impact on climate change. Neener neener neener.

proves how great at Economic Leadership the LNP really is

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

hiddenmovement posted:

Was it as good as the The Games John Howard stolen generation apology?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Greg Hunt interview goes off rails over 'free speech' and gay conversion therapy

Greg Hunt has repeatedly questioned whether an ABC presenter believes in “freedom of speech” in an interview defending Victorian Liberal members’ plans to debate gay conversion therapy.

The health minister told Radio National presenter Patricia Karvelas he does not support gay conversion therapy but refused to say if he was concerned by a motion that was to be debated at the upcoming Liberal state council.

On Monday Fairfax Media reported that the Victorian Liberal president, Michael Kroger, had intervened to stop a proposed motion to allow doctors to “offer counselling out of same-sex attraction or gender transitioning”.

After questions about the Greens’ plans to legalise cannabis and private health insurance rebates, Karvelas asked Hunt whether he was alarmed by the proposed motion.

“Look, it’s not something I support, it’s not federal government policy, it’s not going to be federal government policy and we’re not about to change our position on that,” Hunt replied.

The health minister added “people are entitled to have different views, views that I disagree with”.

“What I do worry about is this constant view that nobody is anywhere allowed to have a different view. As a journalist, I would hope you would believe in freedom of speech.”

In a testy exchange – possibly designed to throw red meat to the growing conservative faction of the Victorian Liberal party – Hunt then asked Karvelas if she believed in freedom of speech. When she affirmed she did, Hunt repeatedly asked her to define the concept.

Hunt clarified that he was not suggesting freedom of speech included the right to attempt to convert young people away from homosexuality.

“No – [they’re] two completely different things. Do I think that there should be a practise of doing that? No. Do I think people have the right to have views I disagree with? They are entitled to have views you and I disagree with.”

Hunt asked Karvelas if she was “afraid to stand up for freedom of speech” by failing to provide a definition of the concept.

When Karvelas thanked Hunt for appearing on the program, Hunt chastised her, saying it was “disappointing” that she had not answered his question.

“You asked questions that you want to present as a game but this is a real discussion about freedom of speech and this was your chance – and I hope you run this in full,” he said.

The interview continued, with Hunt grumbling she had not answered the question. Karvelas then asked why Kroger had pulled the motion, prompting Hunt to claim he was not aware there was one.

“I have no idea about the background to it,” he replied, after answering several minutes of questions about the motion.

Karvelas reaffirmed that she believes in freedom of speech, adding she also believed gay conversion therapy “has had devastating results for people”, noting that Hunt and “science” also took that view.

Apparently believing he was no longer on-air, Hunt said he believed in freedom of speech but Karvelas “wouldn’t say that when we were on air”.

“We’re on air right now – I do plan to run this,” Karvelas said, adding it was “extraordinary” Hunt had “tried to turn around the interview and hijack it”.

“I am surprised it took an extraordinary amount of time for you to acknowledge you actually believe in freedom of speech,” Hunt said before Karvelas finally concluded the interview.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Konomex posted:

Even the loving oil states like the UAE are saying we have to cut greenhouse emissions and go to green energy. The LNP just have their heads in the sand for no fathomable reason other than 'owning the libs'.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

You Am I posted:

Was it as good as the The Games John Howard stolen generation apology?

It was all about his love for are Don.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The President of Azerbaijan took over from his father in 2003. His wife is the Vice-President. And last week he was re-elected with 86 per cent of the vote after a boycott by opposition parties.

Liberal MP Craig Kelly says Australia needs to learn from the country's electoral system.

The south-west Sydney MP travelled to the former Soviet nation for the second time last week as leader of a delegation to observe its presidential election. In comments that riled Armenians in Australia, Mr Kelly was quoted in Azerbaijan media saying he had witnessed a "coherent, democratic process" and "an election organisation that surpassed Australia's experience".

"We, together with my colleagues, will undoubtedly bring the useful experience home," he said.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
Perfect for the Dutton-reich.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
Company towns are in fact cool and good. The Company will provide what you need, citizen:

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-18/life-in-unique-bhp-town-of-leinster-in-wa-northern-goldfields/9643986

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Roberto di Nugtokey

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

JBP posted:

Roberto di Nugtokey

I received an email from the Greens this morning asking me to donate $4.20

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Its like the Greens read my posts and realised I was about to jump ship. I'm back on board fellas, lets get the Green train going! *choof choof*

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bell jar posted:

Its like the Greens read my posts and realised I was about to jump ship. I'm back on board fellas, lets get the Green train going! *choof choof*

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

JBP posted:

Roberto di Nugtokey

:iceburn:

Also now I need to go watch more playground politics which I'm really behind on .

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://www.buzzfeed.com/paulfarrell/indigenous-children-are-18-times-more-likely-to-be-placed

quote:

Indigenous Australian children are 18 times more likely to be placed on a secret police blacklist than non-Indigenous children, analysis of new data by the Greens has revealed.
What we learned about STMP last year was based on a small amount of information but the NSW Greens have released more complete data

quote:

But the new data also raises fresh concerns about the accuracy of police information on the database.
The spreadsheet provided by NSW police provides breakdowns of the hundreds of children on the blacklist by ethnicity. Some of these breakdowns appear to add up to a total of more than 100% — for instance, one child is identified as 25% indigenous, 63% white/European and 13% unknown, making a total of 101%.
Others also have a wildly varied ethnic background. In another case a child is identified as 3% indigenous, 36% Middle Eastern, 2% white/European, 42% Pacific Islander and 18% unknown, which also totals 101%.
BuzzFeed News asked the NSW Police how the police could identity these percentages of ethnicity so finely, and why many totals did not add up to 100%. It declined to respond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

bandaid.friend posted:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/paulfarrell/indigenous-children-are-18-times-more-likely-to-be-placed

What we learned about STMP last year was based on a small amount of information but the NSW Greens have released more complete data

Cops are loving morons, news at 11

• Locked thread