Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/jwbank/status/986377174767820800

Sears hears footsteps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I don’t think most states charge taxes for unprepared food.

Colorado did when I lived there from 2005-2006 and 2013-2017.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Star Man posted:

Colorado did when I lived there from 2005-2006 and 2013-2017.

No they didn't (although it's quite possible the city you lived in did). The only state sales taxes that hit unprepared food at the full rate are AL/MS/SD/ID/OK/HI (HI technically not a sales tax). TN/IL/MO/VA/AR/UT also tax but at a partial rate. Then some others like NC/GA have no state but always local. Then some others like CO/SC have no state but permissively allow local.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Sugar in America has never been cheap compared to the rest of the world due to trade protections put in place near the founding of the country and has always been abundant aside from ww1 and ww2 rationing. The past ten or so years haven't seen an especially cheap sugar either, in the 60's it got down to less than 2 cents a lb compared to 13 in 1919 and 12 today. I suspect your correlation is even stronger when looking at sedentary lifestyle.

Marketing is bad in its entirety but that's capitalism.

Why yes, if you want to willfully ignore that the greater amount of sweetener used in processed foods is sugar in the form of HFCS and unaffected by the price of cane or beet sugar while strongly incentovized by the subsidies given to corn growers!

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Star Man posted:

In Wyoming, we don't pay sales tax for food that isn't prepared. It's been that way since 2006.

The state does collect sales tax on Amazon if the purchase is over a certain amount, though.

With Amazon I have found it depends not on the amount, but who and where things get shipped. If it is fulfilled directly by Amazon through their warehouses in Minnesota (the state I live) then sales tax applies. If it is fulfilled by Amazon but not through a Minnesota fulfillment center, or a third party (directly, not via Amazon fulfillment), then sales tax doesn't apply.

Amazon also does its billing by fulfiller so even in a single order what items gets taxed or not depends on where it is being fulfilled. This also results in multiple charges to your account, but that usually shouldn't matter.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Washington Prime Group and CBL Properties are both very exposed to a Bon-Ton liquidation. 25% of their malls have one as an anchor store.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Liquid Communism posted:

Why yes, if you want to willfully ignore that the greater amount of sweetener used in processed foods is sugar in the form of HFCS and unaffected by the price of cane or beet sugar while strongly incentovized by the subsidies given to corn growers!

Cool more ignorance. HFCS use is
a) on a massive decline since 1999, faster than caloric sweeteners as a whole - while all caloric sweetener is down over 15%, HFCS use is down 35%
b) not cheap because of subsidies, it costs more because of subsidies since subsidies for corn primarily raise its price to ensure profitability for corn farmers
c) HFCS' price is only at all competitive with other sugars because all sugars have their prices raised by the tariffs.
d) HFCS use only became large in the first place because other forms of sugar production could not make up for the imbalance between American demand and supply once the tariffs and import restrictions of the 70s were introduced. The tariffs et al were intended to boost the domestic sugarcane and sugarbeet industry, but they proved incapable of expanding production enough.

This information on price isn't hidden or secret. The USDA makes it all available. https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/sugar-and-sweeteners-yearbook-tables.aspx

Let's do a quick comparison for the cents per pound dry weight spot price as of March 2018:

HFCS-42 (least sweet common ratio before it stops being high fructose): 34.86 cents
HFCS-55 (most common to use as a 1:1 replacement for table sugar): 39.27 cents
Import raw sugar with tariffs paid: 24.73 cents
Midwest refined beet sugar: 36 cents

(The USDA does not track refined sugar prices for imported sugar separate from locally sourced sugar, their prices once refined are very close together as essentially interchangeable goods.)

And here's a comparison from the world market, refined sugar spot price per dry pound at London:
15.94 cents

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

xrunner posted:

No they didn't (although it's quite possible the city you lived in did). The only state sales taxes that hit unprepared food at the full rate are AL/MS/SD/ID/OK/HI (HI technically not a sales tax). TN/IL/MO/VA/AR/UT also tax but at a partial rate. Then some others like NC/GA have no state but always local. Then some others like CO/SC have no state but permissively allow local.

The City and County of Denver and the surrounding area.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Here is the Riddle of Obesity Globally: People are eating more of everything, it's easier than ever to get calorie dense foods, and they aren't moving as much. There is no one magic thing that is causing it alone, and Fishmech is not just technically right, but right.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

KiteAuraan posted:

Fishmech is not just technically right, but right.

Let's not go crazy here.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Like people just need to deal with the fact that mass elimination of starvation requires things (namely cheap food and relatively ok wages in comparison to said food) that allow people to eat themselves quite fat.

Things like complaining you can buy a $7.50 meal that has 1500 calories in it? Well for someone's who's broke getting one of those a day with maybe some cheap snacks the rest of the day equals not starving. For someone who's not on the biting edge of poverty, having those meals a few times a week saves some time and doesn't really bring them out of healthy weights. While your buddy Chet who sits around the office all day and has 3 of those meals daily is going to tub the gently caress up from it.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

KiteAuraan posted:

Here is the Riddle of Obesity Globally: People are eating more of everything, it's easier than ever to get calorie dense foods, and they aren't moving as much. There is no one magic thing that is causing it alone, and Fishmech is not just technically right, but right.

uh what? the US government heavily subsidizes corn, which leads to cheaper high fructos corn syrup which leads to obesity, that's a fact

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Novel idea: Eliminating mass starvation by eating the rich

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

uh what? the US government heavily subsidizes corn, which leads to cheaper high fructos corn syrup which leads to obesity, that's a fact

Wow, there's a huge "..." in the middle of your logic here. This is basically the Underpants Gnomes of causality.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Fame Douglas posted:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Fame Douglas posted:

But then aren't we just wedding ourselves to a system of even more aggressive capitalism in order to preserve the rich people food supply?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Found our next failure. Bon-Ton, parent of several department store chains, has sold to liquidators and will be gone by summer.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2018/04/18/bon-ton-stores-closing-boston-store-younkers/527726002/

TrekBek
Mar 27, 2013

slug life
"The York, Pa.-based company's brands include Bon-Ton, Bergner's, Boston Store, Carson's, Elder-Beerman, Herberger's and Younkers."

Clearly their first mistake was naming all their stores the way Roald Dahl named villains.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
For the first time ever, Amazon released financial details about the Amazon Prime program.

They have over 100 million paying prime subscribers worldwide and Prime is the second biggest subscription service in the world.

That is pretty insane and way higher than I would have ever guessed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.049cfb326d68

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

poopinmymouth posted:

Wrong.

https://www.thedailymeal.com/eat/why-do-mcdonald-s-fries-have-nearly-20-ingredients

Nearly any item that can be found at a fast food restaurant contains unnecessary ingredients that are there for the pursuit of profit. The exact same foods can be cooked with less additives if the goal isn't to wring every last speck of profit out of laborers and customers. (also if anyone who actually enjoys cooking had their say, they would prioritize quality over preservatives)

You are staggeringly stupid

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

TrekBek posted:

"The York, Pa.-based company's brands include Bon-Ton, Bergner's, Boston Store, Carson's, Elder-Beerman, Herberger's and Younkers."

Clearly their first mistake was naming all their stores the way Roald Dahl named villains.

Pretty certain they acquired most, if not all, of those brands by buying out smaller chains.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

For the first time ever, Amazon released financial details about the Amazon Prime program.

They have over 100 million paying prime subscribers worldwide and Prime is the second biggest subscription service in the world.

That is pretty insane and way higher than I would have ever guessed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.049cfb326d68

Between myself, my close friends, and my current and former roommate, I can confirm 100% of people have prime

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Amused to Death posted:

Between myself, my close friends, and my current and former roommate, I can confirm 100% of people have prime

Weird, because from myself and my social circle I have determined that 0% of people have prime

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Weird, because from myself and my social circle I have determined that 0% of people have prime

You must have a Walmart nearby, different demographic.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I pay for a monthly subscription that gives me faster checkout at Walmart.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Are you poor, or do you hang out with a really anti-capitalist crowd?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Yeah I cannot imagine life without Prime

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

FistEnergy posted:

Yeah I cannot imagine life without Prime

Ah yes, having to wait slightly longer for tchotchkes to be delivered: Truly unthinkable.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Apr 19, 2018

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Fame Douglas posted:

Ah yes, having to wait slightly longer for worthless tchotchkes to be delivered: Truly unthinkable.

I have 3 young children. The extra time and effort of packing diaper bags, loading/unloading car seats, and schlepping them back and forth is considerable.

Good for you for being Above It All though! :downsbravo:

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

FistEnergy posted:

I have 3 young children. The extra time and effort of packing diaper bags, loading/unloading car seats, and schlepping them back and forth is considerable.

Good for you for being Above It All though! :downsbravo:

Why are you packing diaper bags, loading/unloading car seats, and schlepping them back and forth when you order online without Prime?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Fame Douglas posted:

Why are you packing diaper bags, loading/unloading car seats, and schlepping them back and forth when you order online without Prime?

Almost all online orders should be Prime. The pricing is often best, plus I get a percentage back with my Amazon credit card, plus my whole family uses Prime Video, plus it's extremely convenient to do it all with one app/account. Seems like a no brainier to me.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

FistEnergy posted:

Almost all online orders should be Prime. The pricing is often best, plus I get a percentage back with my Amazon credit card, plus my whole family uses Prime Video, plus it's extremely convenient to do it all with one app/account. Seems like a no brainier to me.

I agree, it's very convenient.

In regards to credit card rewards: I feel we should strictly limit the fees debit/credit card companies are allowed to take, just like the EU. Credit card fees are extremely high in the US. Should be significantly less than 1%

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Apr 19, 2018

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
We had prime for a while but then did the math and found out it was a wash. Now if we need stuff from Amazon we just wait and build up larger orders for free shipping. But also we’re getting more conscientious about buying locally from independent stores. I live in Boston so that is more possible than it is for a lot of people. I would rather give that $100 per year to the stores in my area by paying a slight price premium. Better they get the $ than Bezos.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Like most of these premium services and whatever, it's going to be a waste of money unless you order lots of stuff from them regularly enough to make up the difference, or are willing to pay extra for a bit more convenience.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
And I think I came across as more adversarial than intended: I'm on Prime myself, even though I think Amazon is a terrible company. But I don't think living without Prime would be unthinkable to me; waiting a few days more isn't the end of the world, and I rarely order so little as to not hit free shipping. Plus I have like 5 (if not more) stores within a few minutes walking distance.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Living in Germany now, Amazon is super cool and useful for ordering English books for our son. You can get some English books at local bookshops but obviously the selection ain't great.

In fact, I feel like even though the overall selection is worse here than the states, in some ways Amazon is actually more useful because store hours in Bavaria are loving awful.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Neon Noodle posted:

I live in Boston so that is more possible than it is for a lot of people. I would rather give that $100 per year to the stores in my area by paying a slight price premium. Better they get the $ than Bezos.
My wife has the same attitude but i had to ask: Is it really better to not pay Amazon and instead pay Walmart or Target or any other major corporation? In my area, Amazon is at least contributing locally by paying the USPS for deliveries.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Neon Noodle posted:

We had prime for a while but then did the math and found out it was a wash. Now if we need stuff from Amazon we just wait and build up larger orders for free shipping. But also we’re getting more conscientious about buying locally from independent stores. I live in Boston so that is more possible than it is for a lot of people. I would rather give that $100 per year to the stores in my area by paying a slight price premium. Better they get the $ than Bezos.

alt: use Amazon and donate the $100 to a third world deworming charity

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Cicero posted:

Are you poor, or do you hang out with a really anti-capitalist crowd?

I know this might be hard to understand, but some of us don't really have a use for online shopping when we can just go to a store to get it now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

mandatory lesbian posted:

I know this might be hard to understand, but some of us don't really have a use for online shopping when we can just go to a store to get it now

I feel like you've posted something along these lines in this thread before (or maybe it was someone else), but this is really, really unusual. I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, but it's not common at all to largely abstain from online shopping at this point and I honestly don't know anyone who does it. Not coworkers, not friends, not parents, not my parent's friends. If no one in your social circle routinely shops online in 2018 then your social circle is an outlier.