Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

I love skyblocks but I've also sort of fallen out of love with them and the more I think about it the more I think other gimmicky packs would be better. There's not a lot of innovation, it feels like. Skyblock was a novel concept once, let's get more.

I once tried to build a pack based around Mystcraft and Ars Magica 2 but they don't share a compatible version after 1.7.10. Mystcraft skipped 1.10, and Ars Magica never got past it. Neither has a 1.12 version.
A pack built around magic and a dimension-nomadic lifestyle could be a lot of fun. Maybe a personal void/miniature dimension to set up a base. There was some pack from ages ago that gave spells as quest rewards instead of having to grind/craft for them and I thought that was a pretty fun one. "Banished"? One of those one-word packs that came out around that time.
Anyway my point is let's just have some fun new gimmicks instead of just the same gimmick. Kitchen sink packs are fun to flex and explore but everyone loves a good novelty now and then.

If we're going to keep going with skyblocks I'd rather have something fundamentally the same but with less tedious building, like a dead/desolate world (like in Regrowth) or a featureless flatland.

im sort of liking crop block because it has a regrowth vibe to it.

I do have a gripe.

There is no mob spawning and you start with 2 hearts. Not a problem.......
then during a thunder storm? i heard lightning, but no fire.

So i went underneath my main platform and there were 3 skeletons on skelly horses.

Single hit kills.

had to jump off the world to reset mob spawns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

SugarAddict posted:

I remember that, NONE of the "move the totem around" options actually worked. Either pipes or ME cables would be left, and if you teleported an ME drive, it would dupe everything in it, and the ship doesn't like the totem and would horribly crash the server or something.

I was able to successfully move the totem of the dawn consistently using the airship. I didn't use an ME system to supply it with jars; I had a vanilla ender chest attached to the hull that I kept spare jars of essentia in. I was also careful to always park the ship facing the same direction every time. Doing it this way, the tubes always stayed connected, the game never crashed, and the totem worked beautifully.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

I love skyblocks but I've also sort of fallen out of love with them and the more I think about it the more I think other gimmicky packs would be better. There's not a lot of innovation, it feels like. Skyblock was a novel concept once, let's get more.

I once tried to build a pack based around Mystcraft and Ars Magica 2 but they don't share a compatible version after 1.7.10. Mystcraft skipped 1.10, and Ars Magica never got past it. Neither has a 1.12 version.
A pack built around magic and a dimension-nomadic lifestyle could be a lot of fun. Maybe a personal void/miniature dimension to set up a base. There was some pack from ages ago that gave spells as quest rewards instead of having to grind/craft for them and I thought that was a pretty fun one. "Banished"? One of those one-word packs that came out around that time.
Anyway my point is let's just have some fun new gimmicks instead of just the same gimmick. Kitchen sink packs are fun to flex and explore but everyone loves a good novelty now and then.

If we're going to keep going with skyblocks I'd rather have something fundamentally the same but with less tedious building, like a dead/desolate world (like in Regrowth) or a featureless flatland.

the other problem is that servers will disable Mystcraft and Dimensional doors anyway

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I was able to successfully move the totem of the dawn consistently using the airship. I didn't use an ME system to supply it with jars; I had a vanilla ender chest attached to the hull that I kept spare jars of essentia in. I was also careful to always park the ship facing the same direction every time. Doing it this way, the tubes always stayed connected, the game never crashed, and the totem worked beautifully.
Even then I can't imagine slowly hoovering around the landscape you'd already conquered was anything but boring after the first ten minutes or so.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Vib Rib posted:

I'm in agreement here. Project Ozone had a 'Skylands' generation setting that I felt was way better than skyblock. Big chunks of floating dirt, nothing else. Sure, dirt's a resource in skyblock maps, but it's pretty early tier, so getting free dirt isn't really a big boost up.

My least favorite part about skyblocks is having to build all my platforms and everything myself. Regrowth was a similarly interesting concept, and I'd like to see more like that, or a Regrowth 2.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Absolutely. Skyblocks aren't actually about being on a block in the sky they're about a tech tree that also includes the generation of resources. There's nothing worse than realizing you need to waste another 10 minutes slamming out a flat cobble platform or that you want to place something underneath so you have to dance in a waterfall to create a substructure.

Also skyblocks please stop using ex nihilo or at least give me an auto seive and cobblegen from the get-go. I'm going to either cheat it or skip your pack if you make me waste an hour mining cobble or sieving gravel manually.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Vib Rib posted:

Even then I can't imagine slowly hoovering around the landscape you'd already conquered was anything but boring after the first ten minutes or so.

The first time I played it, I quit right when I had used the dawn machine once and had automated all the essential types it needed. The second time, I did a whole region and found a few more interesting problems. It burned through some types faster than others and my production did not match so I had some scaling problems to play with. So there was some fun left in it after getting started.

Having to still coddle it after that did suck; working around the machine's bugs broke the fourth wall and was not as interesting as a problem.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Also skyblocks please stop using ex nihilo or at least give me an auto seive and cobblegen from the get-go. I'm going to either cheat it or skip your pack if you make me waste an hour mining cobble or sieving gravel manually.

Modern Skyblock 2 (and 3, which is less grindy) use a thing called Sky Resources that is an alternative to Ex Nihilo. Instead of sieving endless amounts of gravel, you use mostly mob drops and plants to make resources.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Yeah, I played MSB2 and it was a breath of fresh air. I really liked the different components and how they moved from manual to automation.

Like regrowth was super clever to use botania and agricraft to mimic that skyblocks mechanic. There was an unfinished pack on FTB that did the same with blood magic. I really like camping in one spot and moving up a progression without going on mining trips or exploring for hours hunting for an or vein.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Are there any decent mods that give tech-y weapons? It always felt weird to build a giant factory base with teleporters and auto turrets powered by a fusion reactor, and then venture out decked out in power armor and a jetpack and... a crossbow. MFR had its shrapnel gun thing, but I don't think that's been updated to 1.12.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Immersive Engineering has a revolver, a railgun, and a chem thrower.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Haha, oh wow, what genius at CurseForge approved this poo poo: https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/cashcrops

quote:

CashCrops is a very unique mod that allows you to earn money by playing minecraft

It does this by adding new crops that when fully grown can be exchanged for PayPal or various giftcards

The crops are grown through ads or unobtrusive sponsored videos

The logo cribbed from Terraria, the dubious sponsored content, the even-more-dubious exchanging poo poo for money... If it had obviously stolen Hello Neighbor or FNAF content it would be a lovely Android game. :allears:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i bet it also mines coins on your gpu lol

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

brb using creative mode to scam this guy out of a ton of cash

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

Fortis posted:

Haha, oh wow, what genius at CurseForge approved this poo poo: https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/cashcrops

The logo cribbed from Terraria, the dubious sponsored content, the even-more-dubious exchanging poo poo for money... If it had obviously stolen Hello Neighbor or FNAF content it would be a lovely Android game. :allears:

whatever this was it looks like it's gone now

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Syndlig posted:

whatever this was it looks like it's gone now

I didn't download it so I don't know for sure, but the gist of it is that it was a mod that required finding items called pixels, crafting them into a hoe that starts with 1 durability, and then watching ads/completing 'offers' to add durability to it. Then you could use the hoe to till soil into 'enchanted farmland' that let you grow special voxel plants, which would yield 1 voxel when harvested. Then voxels could be put into a GUI that connected you to their discord (???) to redeem the voxels for cash (?????).

No idea how the last parts of the process were even supposed to work, but it was definitely shady all around.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

SynthesisAlpha posted:

A lot of pack makers seem to think that a tiny bit of convenience will wreck their whole experience. Hell, one of the most popular early skyblocks (I want to say Agrarian Skies) turned off the best and fastest and most performance-friendly cobble generating machine entirely instead of just making it more expensive because they'd rather have you make an entire room's worth of TE Igneous Extruders to get the ridiculous lategame cobblestone quest requirements completed. Point is too many skyblock packs seem to think convenience is cheating. Especially in the early game.

I completely agree that if I have to go through the Ex Nihilo dance of silkworms -> sapling composting -> dirt sifting -> pebble assembling -> cobble crunching -> gravel sifting -> iron ore (or clay from dust) -> metal (or clay) bucket -> lava crucible -> regular vanilla cobble generator one more time I'm gonna lose it.
Sky Den started you off with a cobble generator for a reason. :eng101:

Also as long as I'm tossing out gimmick pack ideas that'll never amount to anything, a pack built entirely around Astral Sorcery, with lots of supporting snippets and additions to bolster it could be a lot of fun. I pursued it in Sevtech more than I have in any other pack and there's so much content here I never knew about or bothered to try, but here I am with an inter-dimensional series of (incredibly atmospheric) warp gates, a magically enchantable cloak that lets me fly like an elytra, siphoning lava from below bedrock with a magical star-bore which may or may not be able to plumb liquid metal from the core of the earth. I'm setting up a star-enchanting press to get free(ish) mending on any tool I want and considering installing a ritual altar next to my blood altar for constant health regen.

Seriously, check out the teleport system. It's a bubble of darkness that opens up to a starry void that sucks you through to other gates:

I feel like Astral Sorcery's biggest hurdle is its own overly obnoxious guidebook text. A pack built around it to structure and guide, as well as adding support, bells and whistles, and appropriate mod integrations could be incredible. I get the feeling most players of the mod stop well short of this stuff and probably don't even know about most of it. I sure didn't.

Though I feel the same way about The Betweenlands. That place is vast, packed, and gorgeous, even if it doesn't run that well on my system. A pack set entirely in the Betweenlands could be pretty cool.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Man, I really wish Logistics Pipes would have survived the extinction event that was moving past 1.7.10. I'm replaying Infinity Evolved Skyblock strictly because it required heavy use of Logistics Pipes for automation, due to AE2 being heavily gated. I know it's about a zillion times less performant than AE2 but I don't care.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
can shadow monsters (for abyssalcraft shadow gems) spawn in the hunting dimension (in sevtech) because i'm kind of sick of sailing north up a river for 10 minutes to get to the closest darklands i've found in the overworld

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

President Ark posted:

can shadow monsters (for abyssalcraft shadow gems) spawn in the hunting dimension (in sevtech) because i'm kind of sick of sailing north up a river for 10 minutes to get to the closest darklands i've found in the overworld

No, but in the Hunting Dimension's mod page:

quote:

Creeping Moss
Creeping moss is a craftable item that allows the player to change the type biome of a chunk in the hunting dimension. Creeping moss can be crafted by surrounding a block of mossy cobblestone with 8 vines, leaves or saplings. Once you have crafted the creeping moss, you can sneak and right click to set the moss to the biome you are currently standing in. Once the desired biome has been set, you can go into the hunting dimension and right click with moss (without sneaking) to apply the biome changes. Keep in mind that creeping moss can only change the biome of a chunk in the hunting dimension. Also some of the biomes that are harder to find, like ice plains, can be obtained using some special crafting recipes.

Try that?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

well it looks like the darklands have a creeping moss in sevtech but that replaces my previous problem with another problem, namely needing to find vines to make mossy cobblestone

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I can confirm this works, having done it personally. You don't need to craft that specific type of creeping moss, either, since you can make any variant turn into any other by 'absorbing' the current biome you're in.
My method: Craft 25 creeping moss. Shift+right-click while standing in a darklands biome where shadow monsters can spawn, and now all your creeping moss is attuned to that biome. Head to the hunting dimension, and right click to turn your current chunk into that biome. Pressing F9 twice to display chunk borders can help. Convert an area of 5x5 chunks to shadowlands and you now have a permanent hunting ground for shadow monsters without having to wait till night.

Tangentially related, once you get obsidian you can create a Blood Magic Imperfect Ritual Stone which (if you right click it in the world while a lapis lazuli block is placed on top of it) lets you turn day to night instantly for the cost of some paltry LP. Good for working with Astral Sorcery.

President Ark posted:

well it looks like the darklands have a creeping moss in sevtech but that replaces my previous problem with another problem, namely needing to find vines to make mossy cobblestone
Growing jungle saplings or finding a jungle can get you lots of vines. You can also catch some with a fisherman's strainer in a water strainer. Mossy cobblestone can be found in a number of natural spawning areas (including dungeons). Lastly, cobblestone placed in the world near any mob spawner can convert to mossy over time. You may be too early to go to the Twilight Forest/Nether but there's often spawners there.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 17, 2018

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

President Ark posted:

Probably a good idea to find a swamp, then. You need swamps for dark druid stone circles and coralium ore, and there's loads of vines all over the trees, too. I was situated mostly around (0,0) in my world and I had swamps every fourth biome or so.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I actually prefer Ex Nihilo over SkyResources, because I find SkyResources more tedious to make progress with. I prefer setting up a 3x3 sifting setup and using a macro to hold down right-click than throwing things in a combustion furnace.

Vib Rib posted:

Also as long as I'm tossing out gimmick pack ideas that'll never amount to anything, a pack built entirely around Astral Sorcery, with lots of supporting snippets and additions to bolster it could be a lot of fun.
The MSB3/SkyResources guy did make a skyblock based around Astral Sorcery, but I haven't tried it yet.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

i have to say i'm enjoying every part of sevtech so far except abyssalcraft, which seems to be designed mostly to annoy you and/or waste your time

i want to slap whoever thinks searching for specific biomes or specific tree variants is a good idea

President Ark fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 17, 2018

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Vib Rib posted:

I feel like Astral Sorcery's biggest hurdle is its own overly obnoxious guidebook text. A pack built around it to structure and guide, as well as adding support, bells and whistles, and appropriate mod integrations could be incredible. I get the feeling most players of the mod stop well short of this stuff and probably don't even know about most of it. I sure didn't.

Though I feel the same way about The Betweenlands. That place is vast, packed, and gorgeous, even if it doesn't run that well on my system. A pack set entirely in the Betweenlands could be pretty cool.
Do you know if you can cram both together?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Do you know if you can cram both together?

In SevTech at least, there is no marble worldgen in The Betweenlands. I don't think the telescope works either.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

In SevTech at least, there is no marble worldgen in The Betweenlands. I don't think the telescope works either.

I don't know why I'm doing this because I have zero familiarity with either mod but I am mucking with the configs in a custom instance through the Twitch launcher. There's a field to add the dimension ID to add it to worldgen and make the constellations appear. So I'm about to try that with PerfectSpawn, which should just fling me naked into the dimension.

Edit: Yeap, got one of those marble fountain thingies, although it spawned me in some caverns.

Edit edit: It worked but I have no idea what is going on. Why am I so surprised from assembling two major mods with which I have zero experience?

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Apr 17, 2018

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Evil Mastermind posted:

The MSB3/SkyResources guy did make a skyblock based around Astral Sorcery, but I haven't tried it yet.

Jeez, that dude's absolutely pumping skyblock packs out.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

redleader posted:

Dunno how he does it. I'm burning out hard just working on a single pack with some custom configurations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
It's easy enough to poo poo out a bunch of configs and stuff. It's another thing to, like, playtest it and make sure it all works together.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

One thing SevTech really nailed was being super aggressive about culling all the different types of ingots. I don't think I've ever had two kinds of copper, or anything like that.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

One thing SevTech really nailed was being super aggressive about culling all the different types of ingots. I don't think I've ever had two kinds of copper, or anything like that.
For all its flaws SevTech actually did a lot of things right, including additions of really good utility mods like Dark Utilities, basic quality of life like Quark, and lots of very aggressive tweaking to every facet. It's grindy and demanding and there's some bugs for sure, but it's also had a lot of work put in as a whole.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

For all its flaws SevTech actually did a lot of things right, including additions of really good utility mods like Dark Utilities, basic quality of life like Quark, and lots of very aggressive tweaking to every facet. It's grindy and demanding and there's some bugs for sure, but it's also had a lot of work put in as a whole.

Yeah, at least for the early game. I feel like the end game was rushed. I'm shelving it for now, and hoping that they'll do something to make meteoric iron easier.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

redleader posted:

Part of it is how simple most of those packs are. Crop Block could probably be completed in an afternoon, and the quest book has no flavor text or rewards, or even basic helpful reminders like to make sure you're trying to crossbreed sugar cane onto sand.

That said, I'm still enjoying Crop Block and will probably give the chicken one a try sometime.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It's easy enough to poo poo out a bunch of configs and stuff. It's another thing to, like, playtest it and make sure it all works together.

You say that, but I have 600+ lines of itemNames which say otherwise...

Though yes, proper playtesting and integration is difficult, but that's actually more fun than grinding out configs.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Goon Danton posted:

Are there any decent mods that give tech-y weapons? It always felt weird to build a giant factory base with teleporters and auto turrets powered by a fusion reactor, and then venture out decked out in power armor and a jetpack and... a crossbow. MFR had its shrapnel gun thing, but I don't think that's been updated to 1.12.

https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/matteroverdrive

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Is there a modern equivalent to the old SkyLands mod that added a worldgen option for big islands of dirt? Seriously considering restarting MSB3 with something like that if I could find it.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Okay so what is the dark utilities mod even about because I can't even see a list of what is in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Okay so what is the dark utilities mod even about because I can't even see a list of what is in it.

in JEI, type @darkutilities

then click on items to see what they do, most of the darkutils items have an info tab with a brief description