Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 15, 2018

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

GA youtube star Flight Chops took an open door flight with that NY helicopter company about a month before the accident. Great video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofjRkCcIO9s

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

Mr. Despair posted:

I'm getting kicked off this place because Minneapolis is a hopeless venture today. Guess it's time to try United via Chicago (assuming Duluth doesn't get shutdown too in the next few hours)

I’m kinda :stonklol: at this because there’s a very good chance you saw me walk off the United Express CRJ, go to the restroom by the restaurant, and then chat with a jumpseater at the gate. Had I known you were trying to get out I would’ve offered to help but we were booked solid my dear goon :( At least there was free (albeit lovely) pizza in the terminal!

Also gently caress this wintry weather, flying in constant turbulence and icing the last three days has made me so loving glad I’ve got the next 4-5 days off out west. At least this last 4 day trip was with a fun crew, the other pilot does aerobatics as a side business and the stewardess is someone I’ve gone to Hooters with on a previous trip.

Kebbins
Apr 9, 2017

BRAK LIVES MATTER

hobbesmaster posted:

Fair enough. Just telling you I'm in saint paul like a 10 min walk from that chicken place which is really good btw) and can't see across the street.

Just landed in St. Paul for a week, tell me more about this chicken place!

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Kebbins posted:

Just landed in St. Paul for a week, tell me more about this chicken place!

Revival, there is one in Minneapolis and one in St. Paul. The one on the St. Paul side usually has shorter lines, but the same chicken, biscuits and everything else.

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
I flew out to Dulles a few years ago and was super bummed that even though I could see Udvar-Hazy from my hotel, I never got a chance to go. Well, I finally fixed that by timing my visit with the RAF 100th anniversary fly-in where they had a Lancaster, B-25 and some other warbirds park outside so you could climb aboard and take pictures. Of course I didn't realize any of this was happening until I had to leave for my return flight and the line to get outside was already an hour or more :( Can't really complain I guess, the amount of Interesting poo poo on display was already off the charts.

I played a lot of Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe as a kid so this section was very nostalgic:

Some Crimson Skies in here too

Flak Bait getting restored

Lot of engineering black magic too

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/BreakingNews/status/986276159955652609
:stare:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Butt Reactor posted:

I’m kinda :stonklol: at this because there’s a very good chance you saw me walk off the United Express CRJ, go to the restroom by the restaurant, and then chat with a jumpseater at the gate. Had I known you were trying to get out I would’ve offered to help but we were booked solid my dear goon :( At least there was free (albeit lovely) pizza in the terminal!

Also gently caress this wintry weather, flying in constant turbulence and icing the last three days has made me so loving glad I’ve got the next 4-5 days off out west. At least this last 4 day trip was with a fun crew, the other pilot does aerobatics as a side business and the stewardess is someone I’ve gone to Hooters with on a previous trip.

I did get out on that United CRJ! I bought a ticket on my phone as they we're kicking us off of the last ditch delta attempt.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/986285403127853056

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

:stonk:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
That engine has very much experienced An Issue.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Is it just me or have then been more engines experiencing An Issue lately?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Assuming that's a 738, is CFM (so, GE I guess) having a very bad day today?

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
Are those holes in the leading edge slats?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

movax posted:

Assuming that's a 738, is CFM (so, GE I guess) having a very bad day today?

737-700 but yeah seems to be the case.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PT6A posted:

That engine has very much experienced An Issue.

Engine rich exhaust.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Happened at 30k according to FR24 https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/wn1380#1111bb4d

So we finally got an answer to that fear/myth/scenario so many have talked about. Nobody sucked out, no instant crash.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
As usual, comms traffic for the whole event is very calm:

https://www.liveatc.net/recordings.php

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
It's still scary when engine internals escape the cowling. That's a metric fuckton of energy when one lets go.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/AP/status/986323281488826368

RIP Southwest’s claims of never losing a passenger

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

mlmp08 posted:

"Is your airplane physically on fire?"
"No, it's not on fire, but part of it's missing."

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
When she asks for medical on the runway it’s heartbreaking.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

mlmp08 posted:

Well, yeah, they're not the ones getting partially sucked out.

:stare:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FBS posted:

"Is your airplane physically on fire?"
"No, it's not on fire, but part of it's missing."

"Did you say someone - you know what nevermind"

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
Automotive Insanity > Aeronautical Insanity: The last time I took a poo poo at Mach 0.8, I got sucked out

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

0toShifty posted:

Automotive Insanity > Aeronautical Insanity: The last time I took a poo poo at Mach 0.8, I got sucked out

An empty quote, this is not

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

0toShifty posted:

Automotive Insanity > Aeronautical Insanity: The last time I got sucked out at Mach 0.8, I took a poo poo

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

Mr. Despair posted:

I did get out on that United CRJ! I bought a ticket on my phone as they we're kicking us off of the last ditch delta attempt.

That's too bizarre, this might be the first documented instance where a goon rode in a goon-captained jet. Sorry about the delay getting out of the gate, we had to get ballast to offset the jumpseater and deicing was a pain obviously due to weather.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Butt Reactor posted:

That's too bizarre, this might be the first documented instance where a goon rode in a goon-captained jet. Sorry about the delay getting out of the gate, we had to get ballast to offset the jumpseater and deicing was a pain obviously due to weather.

I’m going to have to start asking if there are stairs in the cockpit.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Is it just me or have then been more engines experiencing An Issue lately?

Don't worry, Top Men are on the case.

:tinfoil:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Butt Reactor posted:

Automotive Insanity > Aeronautical Insanity: The last time I took a poo poo at Mach 0.8, Butt Reactor took the wheel

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Butt Reactor posted:

There've been goon flight decks too. Now to see if theres an instance of a goon flight crew AND passengers.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 18, 2018

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Butt Reactor posted:

Whatever small delay there was was nothing compared to the delta jet I had just tried to get out on, which was delayed at the terminal waiting for fuel, ballast, a tow bar, weather, and then finally "yeah we're not going anywhere, we have to kick you all off". Not to mention the aborted landing on the way CRJ-900 on the way into Duluth or the laps around Minneapolis before diverting.

Your flight/crew came off like super heroes after all the stuff I went through on those first delta flights trying to get into the twin cities, basically.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

0toShifty posted:

Sucked off the plane at Mach 0.8

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/PacificAviation/status/986427744664858624

Looks like the thrown blade theory is correct

edit:
a picture of the window broken, it's fairly far back from the fan blades

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Apr 18, 2018

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

https://twitter.com/PacificAviation/status/986427744664858624

Looks like the thrown blade theory is correct

edit:
a picture of the window broken, it's fairly far back from the fan blades

Yeah, but not far enough back to be hit by debris. Probably some shrapnel or cowl pieces struck and weakened the window supporting structure, then differential pressure did the rest.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Finger Prince posted:

Yeah, but not far enough back to be hit by debris. Probably some shrapnel or cowl pieces struck and weakened the window supporting structure, then differential pressure did the rest.

Some passengers said (disclaimer about witness unreliability) there was a delay between the initial shock and the masks dropping, and the window failing

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I just realized how much blood is on the outside of the plane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

glynnenstein posted:

I just realized how much blood is on the outside of the plane.

holy poo poo