Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I never played DAI multiplayer, but I imagine it was mostly just a gear check. There just isn't that much skill expression available when compared to games like ME3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Inquisition's concept was really cool- I loved the idea of actually progressing through a map instead of just hunkering down in some corner against endless waves. But the gameplay ruined it.

Mostly though, I blame the bosses. They are awful, because they are basically ALL Platinum difficulty Banshees, except you can't reliably avoid their grab by running away. Even on the easiest difficulty, it's just a boring slog to see if you can deal enough damage fast enough before it wears through your healing supplies.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The multiplayer could have been interesting but at launch it was held back by a few prominent things: Horrible netcode that caused people to zip zop all over the place, gently caress-you boss waves that would completely negate a successful run up to that point, and a confusing grindy class unlock system. Mass Effect 3 managed to get the pace and rate of acquisition for cool new stuff down perfectly and every subsequent Bioware MP experiment has been mathematically refined to yield a 2.6% quarterly increase in microtransactions by increasing the grind.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
The game is dead and the people in this thread are living in an illusion-a mirage. There wont be any DA and IF there was it will be years from now at the very least and will have nothing to do with DA:I seeing they reset the entire game more than once. They want a blank state, a total restart with much less ties to the previous games as much as possible. They will be copying the Formula of the Witcher 3. I have a feeling they remove squad combat all together. Thats it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Wake up sheeple, prepare to have your mind blown by something everybody already agrees with.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

At least witcher 3 isn’t a bad game to copy.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I believe Dragon Age 4 will come out and it will be both good and satisfyingly resolve everything.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

NikkolasKing posted:

I believe Dragon Age 4 will come out and it will be both good and satisfyingly resolve everything.

ah, i see u too have read my fanfic

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

NikkolasKing posted:

I want this to be true so I chose to believe this.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

The multiplayer could have been interesting but at launch it was held back by a few prominent things: Horrible netcode that caused people to zip zop all over the place, gently caress-you boss waves that would completely negate a successful run up to that point, and a confusing grindy class unlock system. Mass Effect 3 managed to get the pace and rate of acquisition for cool new stuff down perfectly and every subsequent Bioware MP experiment has been mathematically refined to yield a 2.6% quarterly increase in microtransactions by increasing the grind.

The net code was really really bad and made it impossible to enjoy

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

NikkolasKing posted:

And Maevaris Tilani will be a companion and be portrayed with respect.

Frankly I’d sooner never have another DA if it’s ridden with careless play/design and the character writing is awful.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Do we actually know enough about Anthem to write it off yet? I’ve not heard anywhere how “Bioware-y” it’s meant to be. Presumably no companions?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CottonWolf posted:

Do we actually know enough about Anthem to write it off yet? I’ve not heard anywhere how “Bioware-y” it’s meant to be. Presumably no companions?

We know virtually nothing about it right now, people are just being (understandably, in my opinion) pessimistic.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

CottonWolf posted:

Technically no but it’s going to suck and I hate it

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I think either way it's bad news, either EA thinks that bioware should make shootmans or they think bioware is rear end

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I was playing FIFA ‘18 and noticed the single player Career Mode was way clunkier and shallower than it used to be, presumably because the online stuff is where the money’s at these days. If that’s their approach to their flagship series, things don’t bode well for Dragon Age.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 18, 2018

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Shugojin posted:

I think either way it's bad news, either EA thinks that bioware should make shootmans or they think bioware is rear end

Yep, it could turn out great and I still couldn’t care less if it’s not an rpg.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I just had this horrible presentment of fan favorite characters brought back but only as DLC or multiplayer content.

Oh wait, wasn’t that done with Isabella already? :magical:

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I just had this horrible presentment of fan favorite characters brought back but only as DLC or multiplayer content.

Oh wait, wasn’t that done with Isabella already? :magical:
Yup.

There were 2 excellent classes in the MP that were wicked fun, and they are the Alchemist (gets both Flask of Fire and the mines power, so you can spam like 1000 mines at once) and Zither! (totally different playstyle than anything else, also he's hilarious). I played a lot of it, and those are the only things I miss.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Shugojin posted:

I'm getting Command&Conquer flashbacks.
I don't like it.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

CottonWolf posted:

I expect microtransactions and it to suck, yeah.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Admiral Ray posted:

I expect microtransactions and it to suck, yeah.

I’m pretty sure they’ll have ripped the microtransactions out after the Battlefront debacle.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

CottonWolf posted:

I’m pretty sure they’ll have ripped the microtransactions out after the Battlefront debacle.

Hahahahahaaa

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

CottonWolf posted:

They're still in, you just don't have to pay $100 to unlock Luke Skywalker now

Just $100 to get all his outfits

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Wolfsheim posted:

They're still in, you just don't have to pay $100 to unlock Luke Skywalker now

Just $100 to get all his outfits

I'm saying that's fine. Microtransactions for cosmetic stuff is totally okay, it's when they're for game changing stuff that I hate it.

But Anthem just sounds like a generic shooter and not an RPG.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Cosmetics are a major point both for the people playing the games with those options as well as for the publishers selling cosmetics for their game - in this regard cosmetics ARE gameplay.

So no, cosmetic microtransactions/lootboxes should not get an exemption just because they don't make your ingame character more powerful.

orcane fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Apr 19, 2018

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

orcane posted:

cosmetics ARE gameplay.
I like dressing up in games to a possibly unhealthy degree and often consider it to be its own game with the game. But that's just nonsense.
If I purchase a blue gun, and a orange outfit and use those to shoot up dudes instead of my original gray gun and purple outfit, no new gameplay was added. I just did the exact same thing, just with a different appearance.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Obviously relations matter, in a game where you never even see your orange dude with a blue gun and the dudes you're shooting are color coded or you barely see them form 100m away before they or you die, cosmetics don't matter much. There are plenty of games where this is not the case though.

Also in your example the shop having the exact same gun as you just 20% stronger did not add new gameplay either. You can buy it and do the exact same thing. Yay strawman arguments :woop:

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Microtransactions sucks rear end but are tolerable under 2 conditions

1) no rng gambling, as that's loving exploitive and kids are playing this stuff
2) cosmetics only

I totally agree that cosmetics are gameplay which is why I still think they are bad. Just look at how destiny 2 eververse put all the good looking armor in the pay store and then made all armor effectively cosmetic to avoid pay to win complaints.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
:yeah:

If your game absolutely needs microtransactions, make them cosmetics so your Russian oligarch friend can't just pay thousands for guns that shoot twice as good etc.

However, if your game is supposed to have meaningful cosmetic customization, the microtransactions have to be an option among many. Don't design a cosmetics "metagame" around customization that's primarily or even exclusively tied to RMT stuff like Destiny 2 or Guild Wars 2 having barely any new armors and weapons outside the cash shop for the longest time.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Microtransactions sucks rear end but are tolerable under 2 conditions

1) no rng gambling, as that's loving exploitive and kids are playing this stuff
2) cosmetics only

I totally agree that cosmetics are gameplay which is why I still think they are bad. Just look at how destiny 2 eververse put all the good looking armor in the pay store and then made all armor effectively cosmetic to avoid pay to win complaints.

For all the problems Warframe has I like that the only thing the microtransactions do is skip grinding

Which is confusing because grinding to get stuff is literally the whole game but what do I know

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

orcane posted:

Obviously relations matter, in a game where you never even see your orange dude with a blue gun and the dudes you're shooting are color coded or you barely see them form 100m away before they or you die, cosmetics don't matter much. There are plenty of games where this is not the case though.
I don't follow what you're saying here. In a game with really lovely art direction, I suppose cosmetics can affect gameplay. Especially in a competitive mp shooter where you have to quickly recognize things. But in that case the really lovely art direction is your main problem, not DLC/micro-transition policies.

orcane posted:

Also in your example the shop having the exact same gun as you just 20% stronger did not add new gameplay either. You can buy it and do the exact same thing. Yay strawman arguments :woop:
That's not a strawman. That's pretty much exactly my opinion really. Different damage values on guns affect difficulty, not the basic gameplay. A new gun would have to add, or be part of a new mechanic before I'd see it as adding new gameplay.

But I'm curious: How is gameplay affected by cosmetics?

Edit: :argh: Spelling

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 19, 2018

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Something doesn't have to "add" gameplay to be part of gameplay. If a game has an intricate customization system and expects players to use it, that is part of the gameplay even though it's not directly a part of eg. the basic "shoot dudes" loop.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Cythereal posted:

We know virtually nothing about it right now, people are just being (understandably, in my opinion) pessimistic.

Given what we've seen and been told about Bioware's behind-the-scenes problems, I agree that pessimism is warranted. The setting alone looks like it wouldn't be that conducive to the Bioware-style of RPG dozens of hours of meandering with NPCs.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Geostomp posted:

Given what we've seen and been told about Bioware's behind-the-scenes problems, I agree that pessimism is warranted. The setting alone looks like it wouldn't be that conducive to the Bioware-style of RPG dozens of hours of meandering with NPCs.

Oh I share the pessimistic attitude of the thread, I'm just noting that we know drat near nothing about it right now.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I'll need to see more, but I'm not holding my breath.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
Hello. Happy :420:

https://twitter.com/BioMarkDarrah/status/987519851630489601

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

God even the Anthem concept art makes the game look boring

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Ainsley McTree posted:

Maybe that is concept art for DA4? Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm the pre-rendered terrain that you know is going to lack any interactivity.