Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've seen folks mention it a few times - does anyone have any idea what the Titanicus game is supposed to be? I don't know anything about it or the rumors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
It's still a long ways off. Probably after plastic sisters.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
A 1 model vs. 1 model board game featuring OG titan cards:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Neurolimal posted:

A 1 model vs. 1 model board game featuring OG titan cards:

I wonder if there would be any interest in a Necromunda/Shadow War tyoe vertical board/terrain thing representing one or both legs of an Imperator, possibly with the groinal connection area, and holding onto/grabbing the dick-and-nuts of the titan is the goal (as it should be).

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

I wonder if there would be any interest in a Necromunda/Shadow War tyoe vertical board/terrain thing representing one or both legs of an Imperator, possibly with the groinal connection area, and holding onto/grabbing the dick-and-nuts of the titan is the goal (as it should be).

Kill team inside of a titan sounds like it would be totally rad.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cainer posted:

Kill team inside of a titan sounds like it would be totally rad.

:yeah:, or like ZM.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Titanicus sounds awesome. I’m all in.

Hopefully they bring back a version of BFG, and my dreams will be fulfilled.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Is this size chart (it's super old from back before Dakka got as-terrible I think) thought-to-be accurate?

E: 69" Nice!

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 18, 2018

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Yeah, that's the most accurate chart. Most homemade megatitans are at least a foot oversized.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Yeah, that's the most accurate chart. Most homemade megatitans are at least a foot oversized.

Yeah, it makes me IRL a little irked when I see it. Because I am a deeply flawed and broken individual with deep-seated issues.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 18, 2018

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Necrons functionally disembark from Monoliths and Night Scythes, so my group will likely play with Turn 1 Deceiver Deep Strike shenanigans in full effect. Because :hb: SURPRISE! THE NOT!RHINO WAS BEHIND YOU THE ENTIRE TIME! :hb:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I kind of wonder how long the DS rule was in the faq before release, because Necrons's deep stuff were a little underwhelming beforehand but now might be a bit more attractive for aggressive armies.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Crisis Spam trip report: :circlefap:

Played using the new FAQ against a mixed Armiger Superheavy Detachment and a Custodes Patrol Detachment using Trajann, a Shield Captain on Jetbike, Vexilla, single squad of five Custodians, and then a group of five Jetbikes. Played the Renegades tournament rules because the other guy is practicing for Midwest ConQuest in May.

Turn 1 went about how we both expected it to. He won the first turn. His jetbikes moved up the board and took out the better part of two Strike teams. His Armigers pushed forward and engaged my Ghostkeel, which put up a hell of a fight and survived the first turn's shooting and melee with 1 wound left. Bottom of turn 1 I pop Automated Repair and get it the gently caress out of there, and my return fire destroys one Armiger and takes a second down to 1 wound. He is not so lucky with a heal stratagem.

Turn 2 his bikes finished murdering another Strike Team and mauled a Pathfinder Team badly enough that the last guy ran off. His Armigers finished off the Ghostkeel (barely) and took out a couple errant Pathfinders from another team. Bottom of turn 2 is when the fireworks start.

I drop a Homing Beacon about three inches from his Jetbike squad with a Stealth team. The Commander low-altitude drops in. The Crisis Team drops in five inches behind him. I pop Drop Zone Clear and Command-and-Control Node. Pathfinder Teams put five markerlight stacks on the Jetbikes, well within burst cannon range.

72 dice hitting on 2s rerolling 1s, 72 hits. 72 hits wounding on 5s rerolling fails registers 37 wounds at AP-1. Four jetbikes die. The other Commander opens up with Fusion Blasters. Another Jetbike dies.

Turn 3 he gets the remaining Armiger (I take out the 1 wound left with a stray EMP grenade strat) up in my face and manages to clear most of one of my two remaining Pathfinder Teams, and gets his Jetbike Captain into combat with my Fusion Blade Commander. He rolls well, I don't, I lose the commander.

Bottom of Turn 3 the Markerlight drones deepstrike in, and I pop Drop Zone Clear again. Drone Controller Commander wanders up, then pops Command-and-Control Node again. Suddenly markerlight drones hitting on 3s rerolling 1s lights up the last Armiger and the Jetbike Captain.

72 dice hitting on 2s rerolling 1s, 68 hits. 68 hits wounding on 5s rerolling fails gets 32 wounds this time at AP-1. The Jetbike Captain dies really hard, and the Armiger loses half a dozen wounds before the Pathfinders (and their Rail Rifles) even start up.

My opponent plays it out through the end of 6, hiding his last two models in a building where I can't get them with battlesuits while I cap every objective I feel like crabbing.

Crisis Suits loving rule. :allears:

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I’ve realised how much I wish there was a keyword shared between just Mechanicus and Necrons, for that sweet sweet mad scientist army.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Shockeh posted:

I’ve realised how much I wish there was a keyword shared between just Mechanicus and Necrons, for that sweet sweet mad scientist army.

I still hope that one day they get an HQ who is literally a tank with a brain taped to it.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Where to start.... I just have it difficult to talk about why I decided to leave GW behind me after more than 6 years of being their customer.

Too many things have changed to continue with my hobby in the store. Not only that GW decided to focus more on non-gamers and leaving veterans behind. It's also GW's constant demand for getting payed more and giving less content than before. I remember how happy I was with the Fantasy book and the amount of customizations and scenery rules you can use for your army. Unfortunately it won't come back anymore and GW doesn't listen to the veteran community, who made the hobby great.

Around the time I still played 40K with AdMech, Thousand Sons (also for 30K) and Sylvan Elves for The 9th Age. But because I support T9A together with other wargamers, we got in trouble with other people who see the games as one big middle finger. Most of the time it's called a second rank impostor and even mentioning T9A makes one AoS player immediately comment to it as "grumpy sour players".

But the last day became the final straw. The new AdMech Codex was out recently and I didn't bought it since I felt the amount of stuff and in it was way too less in comparison with the Index. While I was busy with working on my Thousand Sons, the shopkeeper began rebuking me after the other customer besides me was temporarily away. In short; He said that I'm a bigot wargamer who is not open for new stuff and told me that no one will play with me if I don't buy the new Codex. It left a really bad taste in my mouth and the feeling that continuing the hobby in the store has become a deadlock. Feeling humiliated and being blackmailed into buying something I don't want, I decided to not buy the Codex and never come back.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Mango Polo posted:

Where to start.... I just have it difficult to talk about why I decided to leave GW behind me after more than 6 years of being their customer.

Too many things have changed to continue with my hobby in the store. Not only that GW decided to focus more on non-gamers and leaving veterans behind. It's also GW's constant demand for getting payed more and giving less content than before. I remember how happy I was with the Fantasy book and the amount of customizations and scenery rules you can use for your army. Unfortunately it won't come back anymore and GW doesn't listen to the veteran community, who made the hobby great.

Around the time I still played 40K with AdMech, Thousand Sons (also for 30K) and Sylvan Elves for The 9th Age. But because I support T9A together with other wargamers, we got in trouble with other people who see the games as one big middle finger. Most of the time it's called a second rank impostor and even mentioning T9A makes one AoS player immediately comment to it as "grumpy sour players".

But the last day became the final straw. The new AdMech Codex was out recently and I didn't bought it since I felt the amount of stuff and in it was way too less in comparison with the Index. While I was busy with working on my Thousand Sons, the shopkeeper began rebuking me after the other customer besides me was temporarily away. In short; He said that I'm a bigot wargamer who is not open for new stuff and told me that no one will play with me if I don't buy the new Codex. It left a really bad taste in my mouth and the feeling that continuing the hobby in the store has become a deadlock. Feeling humiliated and being blackmailed into buying something I don't want, I decided to not buy the Codex and never come back.

Oh god, keep going, I’m almost there...

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mango Polo posted:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mango Polo posted:

Dakka?

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Mango Polo posted:

Goodbye world

T9A?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Is that 9th edition fantasy? lmao

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Mango Polo posted:

Who wants to bet this "veteran" started playing in 7th

S.J. posted:

Is that 9th edition fantasy? lmao

It's "The 9th Age", which is basically a Fantasy reskin done by the ETC guys. It's full of old grogs who're bitter about AoS but don't want to play Kings of War either.

According to my store owner it has several deep flaws, among them that a) those guys aren't as good as they think they are at writing games and b) they keep designing it from an ETC mindset, so some armies are built to be good at ETC match-ups but are not actually fun to play in a 1v1 wargame.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Corrode posted:

Who wants to bet this "veteran" started playing in 7th

Most of the time I play skirmish games like Shadow War. But recently I toned down my time for 40K, also because it became kinda boring for not having the necessary complexity (like fear and terrain rules) and too abstract gameplay. With the case of 30K; the FW team did a good job while also fixing the clunky and random mess at the core of 7th Edition a bit. It's just that I had some bad experiences with that version and left me rage quited.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Ok now they're looking a lot more like classic SoBs.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1637892615/daughters-of-the-burning-rose/posts/2164806

Cainer
May 8, 2008
I really want the Plague Doctor, could really use a Hospitaler in my force. Not because they're good but cause they're cool!

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016
I was looking at the Orks in the 8th ed. Xenos book and I did not see any listing for Blastabikes. Were these converted to something else or am I missing something here? I have a bunch from when I played last and not sure if I can even use them anymore.

Posting a pic of what they are in the event that I am dumb and am calling them the wrong thing.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cainer posted:

I really want the Plague Doctor, could really use a Hospitaler in my force. Not because they're good but cause they're cool!

The rule of cool is the most important one.

That plague doctor is pretty legit too.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Nunes posted:

I was looking at the Orks in the 8th ed. Xenos book and I did not see any listing for Blastabikes. Were these converted to something else or am I missing something here? I have a bunch from when I played last and not sure if I can even use them anymore.

Posting a pic of what they are in the event that I am dumb and am calling them the wrong thing.

Those are just Ork Warbikes now, grandad

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Corrode posted:

Those are just Ork Warbikes now, grandad

They were always Ork Warbikes if I recall.

In 2nd edition they had twin linked autocannons on a 30 point model. (I think?) Brutal to face.

Plus back then going sufficiently fast would give penalties to incoming fire. Also there were hit location tables and a good chance your bolter would simply ping off the bike armor instead of hitting the driver.

If any of this sounds good imagine all the tables, scatter dice and assorted modifiers as you tried to resolve a massive battle. Parry rolls. Sustained fire dice. Tokens for recording which weapon was jammed.

Mind you I definitely miss the old warp deck.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I do wish something like jink or the Ork warbike exhaust cloud still existed. Even if it were just a stratagem.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I accidentally bought an Onager on eBay, so it looks like I'm stuck with Ad Mech now. The Icarus array looks mental but are there enough fliers around to justify it?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

NovemberMike posted:

What do you mean by higher order? In general, meta means the stuff that people are playing (for games at least).

The relevant definition of the word "meta" is "a higher or second-tier order". When people say meta, it's short for "metagame." That means the "higher order of the game" or a view of the game from a removed and overarching perspective. That is to say, the mix of armies, the playstyles, the themes and tactics, the rulesets, etc... ALL of the variables and trends that form the context with which the the actual play of the game is derived from and nestled wholly within.

To say that "meta" means "most effective tool/tactic available" is something that someone made up... which is dumb for a lot of reasons but mostly because it misunderstands the term and doesnt actually describe the idea of what "meta" entails, but rather just a part of it.

Here is what wiki has to say about meta if that doesnt make sense: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meta

quote:

Any subject can be said to have a metatheory, a theoretical consideration of its properties, such as its foundations, methods, form and utility, on a higher level of abstraction. In linguistics, a grammar is considered as being expressed in a metalanguage, language operating on a higher level to describe properties of the plain language (and not itself)

[/pedantry]

Mango Polo posted:

:lol: That guy needs to lurk more.

Boon fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Apr 18, 2018

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Lungboy posted:

I accidentally bought an Onager on eBay, so it looks like I'm stuck with Ad Mech now. The Icarus array looks mental but are there enough fliers around to justify it?

The Icarus array is fun, but the neutron laser does the business against a wider variety of stuff.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Corrode posted:

The Icarus array is fun, but the neutron laser does the business against a wider variety of stuff.

I'm thinking with DE being the new hotness and having lots of <FLY> around, the Icarus could be pretty good, and can still shoot at ground stuff reliably at -1.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Playing a guy this evening who's going to be using a Khorne/CSM list as Nids. Anyone got any tips? Anything in particular I should look out for?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Lungboy posted:

I'm thinking with DE being the new hotness and having lots of <FLY> around, the Icarus could be pretty good, and can still shoot at ground stuff reliably at -1.

This is a fair assessment. Necrons have tons of FLY too, and Eldar, and for both of those grinding them down with a lot of mid-strength stuff is a good strategy.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

The real veterans of 40k still bitterly play with their 3rd edition armies, having never bought a new model since 4th.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lord_Hambrose posted:

The real veterans of 40k still bitterly play with their 3rd edition armies, having never bought a new model since 4th.

Oh you've been through my chaos marines then.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lord_Hambrose posted:

GW stabbed me in the back when removed vortex grenades between 2nd and 3rd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Lungboy posted:

For what it's worth, every single model in my updated 2000pt CWE list has fly or is in a transport with fly.

Farseer - Faolchus Wing
Skyrunner Farseer
Skyrunner Warlock

4x5 Dire Avengers (transported)

x5 Shadow Spectres

Crimson Hunter Ecarch
Hemlock Wraithfighter

2x Wave Serpent

Skyrunner Autarch

x8 Shining Spears
3x3 Windriders

Boon fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Apr 18, 2018