Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

GreyjoyBastard posted:

thanks for the content that was definitely not a performative "I hate Bush and his wife more than other posters" shitpost

As of today, former wife. She passed away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lightning Knight posted:

As of today, former wife. She passed away.

Yeah I wasn't clear on my verb tenses in my second post.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

GreyjoyBastard posted:

thanks for the content that was definitely not a performative "I hate Bush and his wife more than other posters" shitpost

How hard do you think Jeb fought to keep her alive against her wishes?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Mr Hootington posted:

How hard do you think Jeb fought to keep her alive against her wishes?

please live

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Imagine feeling compelled to go to bat for a now literal ghoul.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Barbara Bush did a shitton of charitable stuff and supported the Equal Rights Amendment and was pro-choice. Her Big Thing was literacy.

If people want to ding her for supporting her husband and son, they can do that, I guess, but I am very solidly of the opinion that she did substantially more good than harm.

From what I've read, it sounds like she was considerably better than most contemporary Republican politicians (like being pro-choice and not directly anti-gay people), but I would still strongly hesitate to use kind/positive words towards someone who is a Republican, even if they're a particularly "good" Republican. I think many people have this tendency to treat the better members of an otherwise bad group positively, maybe because they think it will somehow encourage more members of that group to be the same. But I think this is flawed, particularly when the group in question is something like a political party, which is a choice someone is freely making.

I can understand, and even agree with (depending on the situation) choosing to not condemn a "good" Republican as much/harshly as their more noxious peers, but I feel like it will always be inappropriate to actually speak kindly of them, at least in a broad sense like this (it's a little different if it's something very specific about someone you personally know, like if you had a good mother who happened to be Republican or whatever). Someone like Barbara Bush's "reward" for being better than most other conservatives should just be the absence of the same level of harsh contempt aimed at other Republicans, rather than explicitly positive language.

As a side comment about this, I feel like one of the problems with positive language aimed at "moderate"/"never Trump"/whatever Republicans is that it often results in some Republicans being treated more positively than people like, say, Glenn Greenwald (just to use an example of a person more or less on the left who receives a lot of liberal ire). And it is nearly always the case that the sort of liberal person who is quick to compliment "good" conservatives is just as fast to belittle or condemn people they don't like on the left, and I think the net result of this on public discourse is a shifting of the Overton window to the right (as Democrat opinions are influenced by the positive language aimed at Never-Trump types and similarly the negative language aimed at certain elements of the radical left). I don't think this is just some nit-picky thing; it's actually a problem that our media (and consequently many of the people who view/read that media) use disproportionately negative language towards non/less-mainstream left-wing individuals/groups and disproportionately positive language towards "good" conservatives.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Hootington posted:

She was a vile goblin.

correction, she only gave birth to a goblin

https://twitter.com/virgiltexas/status/985590405189206016

Oh Snapple! posted:

Imagine feeling compelled to go to bat for a now literal ghoul.

if at any point you find yourself defending a member of the bush family not involved in the production of delicious baked beans, your moral compass has been irrevocably destroyed

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 18, 2018

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

centrists: this woman is worth defending

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/JoyAnnReid/status/986401147962515457?s=20
A Bush died, time to whitewash the family.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

quote:

a more dignified version of the Republican Party

He almost killed himself choking on a pretzel.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Nice.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

centrists: this woman is worth defending

Why should anybody waste our beautiful minds remembering Barbara Bush indeed

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
joy reid is arguably the most stupid person in all of cable news and that includes the paste eaters at fox & friends

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

The Muppets On PCP posted:

joy reid is arguably the most stupid person in all of cable news and that includes the paste eaters at fox & friends

pretend I posted a collage of Tucker Carlson durr faces here.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Barbara Bush did a shitton of charitable stuff and supported the Equal Rights Amendment and was pro-choice. Her Big Thing was literacy.

If people want to ding her for supporting her husband and son, they can do that, I guess, but I am very solidly of the opinion that she did substantially more good than harm.

yeah you fell for the PR, please educate yourself

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

GreyjoyBastard posted:

extremely shameful. the bushes are all terrible, and so are you now

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Condiv posted:

extremely shameful. the bushes are all terrible, and so are you now

condiv's twitter account spotted

https://twitter.com/HonoredSpirit/status/986394572300410880

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

don't doxx me

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Condiv posted:

don't doxx me

hey man, I liked the tweet.

Also I didn't see this when it was new but Glenn Greenwald fuckin' chaos dunked the New Atheists and I love it.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/apr/03/sam-harris-muslim-animus

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

sam harris getting destroyed by ezra klein is a...

https://www.zedge.net/ringtone/c69c48d6-f5bd-3f11-bf74-27f165de835a

...situation.

lolled heartily at this.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Gone now, what was it?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

hangedman1984 posted:

Gone now, what was it?

Oh poo poo, rip. It was a funny tweet about how the Bushes suck and the last one to have done a real job was a bootlegger basically.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

"Infiltration". LMAO. They just hid it better until they felt confident enough to show their colors.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Grandfather Bush literally worked with Nazis and Dad Bush is a serial sexual harasser.

Also they lied to get us into a war we are still not out of almost two decades later but they did it in a "dignified" way.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Radish posted:

Grandfather Bush literally worked with Nazis and Dad Bush is a serial sexual harasser.

Was this during the war or is this some Paperclip poo poo with Nazi scientists after the fact?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Lightning Knight posted:

Was this during the war or is this some Paperclip poo poo with Nazi scientists after the fact?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/sep/25/usa.secondworldwar

He may not have actually BEEN a Nazi but that certainly didn't get in the way of making some bucks.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Radish posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/sep/25/usa.secondworldwar

He may not have actually BEEN a Nazi but that certainly didn't get in the way of making some bucks.

Oh you meant HW's dad, ok. I thought you meant HW, because reading is hard. mb

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Lightning Knight posted:

Oh you meant HW's dad, ok. I thought you meant HW, because reading is hard. mb

Yeah my bad. I kinda don't count the generations of Bushes after George, Jeb, Neil, and that other one I'm sure is poo poo as well since they don't seem to give a crap about politics.

Like if you want to say "it's sad that she died, I hope she has found peace" that's totally fine even if she said some bad stuff and is in a horrible family. It's when these idiots are trying to whitewash a political dynasty that you can connect the dots from them to the current situation especially since they were worse even if they did their crimes in a more "dignified" way. Even that is debatable since Jr was a drunken frat boy and Sr had his share of creepy sex stuff come out recently while barfing on the Japanese.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Apr 18, 2018

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Barb was a member of the capital class and is evil automatically

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol DECORUM!! DECORUM ABOVE ALL ELSE!!

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/04/trump-is-making-everyone-a-little-like-him/558227/

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The political class is so wrapped up in the idea of being "respectable" purely because you don't use bad words or a harsh tone while doing absolutely horrible stuff, Trump just talking like he acts has thrown them all off. James Comey, a man who built his career doing this stuff culminating in using his position to twice act politically against a candidate in an opposing party potentially altering an election is a "sober public servant" until he starts getting into the mud with Trump.

If anything Trump is inadvertently pulling back the curtain to reality, that these people aren't good simply because they are all nice and cozy with each other while doing terrible, oppressive things sometimes just by being complicit and sometimes directly. Joy's tweet about the Bush family's dignity is the culmination of this sort of poisonous mentality that has absolutely taken over our government and the worthless pundits that cohabitate with them. I want my elected officials getting angry when their supposed opponents doing bad and destructive things and not weak rear end Chuck Shumer saying they sure will feel guilty when a bunch of people are kicked out of the only country they have ever known or that Comey was in a tough position and his actions weren't his fault. The Republicans literally were trying to kill thousands of people by taking away healthcare for no reason other than "it will make us look real dumb if we don't since we yelled about it for six years" but yeah these guys shouldn't be screamed at and insulting because that's what's really lowering us as people.

We've already reached a level where this class of people is so disconnected from reality they have absolutely no concept of what bad behavior actually is.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Apr 18, 2018

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
The plot thickens...

https://twitter.com/CathyMyersWI/status/986593813727559680

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/dril/status/986408424358412288?s=19

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

So stoked that Gillibrand is a fellow grey wolf

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Probably a good sign that all the shameless opportunists not chained to the corpse of the Democrat establishment are going left because it's the only thing that actually sustains people's attention.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

lmao

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

The Bryce/Meyers primary makes it look like the trick to getting the DCCC to support good dems is to run an even better dem against them.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

From what I've read, it sounds like she was considerably better than most contemporary Republican politicians (like being pro-choice and not directly anti-gay people), but I would still strongly hesitate to use kind/positive words towards someone who is a Republican, even if they're a particularly "good" Republican. I think many people have this tendency to treat the better members of an otherwise bad group positively, maybe because they think it will somehow encourage more members of that group to be the same. But I think this is flawed, particularly when the group in question is something like a political party, which is a choice someone is freely making.

I can understand, and even agree with (depending on the situation) choosing to not condemn a "good" Republican as much/harshly as their more noxious peers, but I feel like it will always be inappropriate to actually speak kindly of them, at least in a broad sense like this (it's a little different if it's something very specific about someone you personally know, like if you had a good mother who happened to be Republican or whatever). Someone like Barbara Bush's "reward" for being better than most other conservatives should just be the absence of the same level of harsh contempt aimed at other Republicans, rather than explicitly positive language.

As a side comment about this, I feel like one of the problems with positive language aimed at "moderate"/"never Trump"/whatever Republicans is that it often results in some Republicans being treated more positively than people like, say, Glenn Greenwald (just to use an example of a person more or less on the left who receives a lot of liberal ire). And it is nearly always the case that the sort of liberal person who is quick to compliment "good" conservatives is just as fast to belittle or condemn people they don't like on the left, and I think the net result of this on public discourse is a shifting of the Overton window to the right (as Democrat opinions are influenced by the positive language aimed at Never-Trump types and similarly the negative language aimed at certain elements of the radical left). I don't think this is just some nit-picky thing; it's actually a problem that our media (and consequently many of the people who view/read that media) use disproportionately negative language towards non/less-mainstream left-wing individuals/groups and disproportionately positive language towards "good" conservatives.

Relevant: Citations Needed on "Trumpwashing"

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/WalkerBragman/status/986066016391303169?s=19
https://twitter.com/WalkerBragman/status/986344438225129477?s=19

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

You're dividing the party by pointing out that this is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

But seriously why are we giving nearly $2 million dollars to an organization run by a politician who has proven she has no idea how to win elections?

• Locked thread