Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Looking forward to costs spiralling as the manufacturers pour vast sums of cash into resolving the forthcoming turbo lag issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

1500quidporsche posted:

Looking forward to costs spiralling as the manufacturers pour vast sums of cash into resolving the forthcoming turbo lag issue.

You mean the inevitable glove telemetry war.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That the fans will see absolutely 0 of until Sky releases it mid-race.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Ricky D, best driver in the worst sport
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJPypo9zanw

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

The Kimoa Kid posted:

I would be hard pressed to make an argument for anyone other than Lewis as the current best driver on the grid. Maybe if McLaren didn't suck you could argue Alonso. Everyone else has super obvious weaknesses. Dan is a close second.

I think Hamilton is only currently best because he has the best car and the most stable environment. We'll see how he fares if the season continues like this.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I think Hamilton is only currently best because he has the best car and the most stable environment. We'll see how he fares if the season continues like this.

He absolutely doesn't have the most stable environment.
Mercedes don't do the "1 and 2" thing Ferrari do; it's extremely hard to see Mercedes opting to screw Bottas next race the way Ferrari screwed Kimi for what was evidently so little of an increase to Vettel's chance to win, and Nico's entire back half of 2015 and all of 2016 were clear signs that Mercedes was gonna give it's drivers room to race.

If you meant Lewis has the most consistent team then that's more accurate (still not entirely accurate, it seems to take Mercedes 4 or 5 rounds to figure out how to get the tires to work the same way Red Bull and Ferrari seem to get them out of the box), but Mercedes isn't 100% Lewis' team, not in the way that Ferrari is 100% Vettel's.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 18, 2018

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Schlesische posted:

He absolutely doesn't have the most stable environment.
Mercedes don't do the "1 and 2" thing Ferrari do; it's extremely hard to see Mercedes opting to screw Bottas next race the way Ferrari screwed Kimi for what was evidently so little of an increase to Vettel's chance to win, and Nico's entire back half of 2015 and all of 2016 were clear signs that Mercedes was gonna give it's drivers room to race.

Bottas is clearly the number 2 driver.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Bottas is clearly the self-appointed number 2 driver.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
It's appropriate that his name is BUTT rear end because he's clearly NUMBER TWO

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Barrichello almost died.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/barrichello-health-scare-neck-tumour-surgery-1027411/

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Bottas is clearly the number 2 driver.

He's not getting treated like a Ferrari number 2 driver, which really is the benchmark for what a genuine number 2 driver is. Hell, his treatment is better than what Mahrk copped at Red Bull, even in the years he was competitive.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Schlesische posted:

He's not getting treated like a Ferrari number 2 driver, which really is the benchmark for what a genuine number 2 driver is. Hell, his treatment is better than what Mahrk copped at Red Bull, even in the years he was competitive.

When your number 2 driver is so poo poo that you never get in the lead driver's way it's very easy to just pretend he's not a number 2 to the media and public since it doesn't raise the kind of questions that get thrust on Ferrari.

ASN
Sep 11, 2001

Hamilton has a contract with Mercedes that states he gets equal treatment in in the WDC. He loves a fight and would like to have a competitive driver along side of him.

Say the same about Vettel or Alonso.

Dan to Mercedes.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

ASN posted:

Hamilton has a contract with Mercedes that states he gets equal treatment in in the WDC. He loves a fight and would like to have a competitive driver along side of him.

Dan to Mercedes.

That's funny cause Hamilton did nothing but subtly bitch about not being given number 1 status when Rosberg was in the team. Again very convenient to pretend it's all fair with no competition.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Bottas is easily the most underrated driver ITC. 2nd place in 2/3 races this season, but apparently he sucks because the posters in this thread TOTALLY would have that overtake on Vettel if they were the one behind the wheel

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Maybe if there was a speed cap then driver skill would become more important than team car development and we would have less dumb arguments about hypothetical Bottas over replacement driver?

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Jmcrofts posted:

Bottas is easily the most underrated driver ITC. 2nd place in 2/3 races this season, but apparently he sucks because the posters in this thread TOTALLY would have that overtake on Vettel if they were the one behind the wheel

Have you actually watched the guy race since, I dunno, 2015 or so? He’s not bad, but he hasn’t warranted the seat. He simply was the least bad option for Mercedes.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Schlesische posted:

You mean Mark "I don't need that new front win.....what you do you mean you're gonna give to Seb!Whaaaaaahhh!" Webber?
The same Mark Webber who ran his team mate off the track twice in the championship deciding race...when he had no chance of winning?
The Mark Webber who said he would not follow team orders and then whined about Seb not doing so?.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

F1 drivers are whiny bitches.

More news at 10.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
This is basically the catch-all motorsports thread in-between F1 races right?

https://speedsport.com/offroad/other-offroad/dead-end-global-rallycross/ this is bumming me out :smith:

E: Oops I see there is actually a generic motorsports thread

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Jmcrofts posted:

At the very worst he's in the top 7 drivers in the field, with Seb, Kimi, Dan, Max, Nando and Lewis in front of him. On the basis of that, given Nando is never getting a top drive ever again, Bottas belongs in a top 3 team. If you're Mercedes and you have the chance to go after what is highly likely to be an upgrade in a Daniel Ricciardo or what has the strong potential (in two-three years) to be an upgrade in Esteban Ocon you take it.
They went after Dan when his first Red Bull contract was up and they've been keeping a close eye on him ever since. Likewise Esteban Ocon is a Mercedes young driver program about-to-be-graduate who they likely have a wealth of information on. Given those circumstances I don't think it's at all out of place to say that Mercedes is looking at moving Valtteri on if he doesn't step up this season.

You mean Mark "I don't need that new front win.....what you do you mean you're gonna give to Seb!Whaaaaaahhh!" Webber?
The same Mark Webber who ran his team mate off the track twice in the championship deciding race...when he had no chance of winning?
The Mark Webber who said he would not follow team orders and then whined about Seb not doing so?.

Mark "I didn't sign with you guys to play second fiddle to a 15 year old" Webber was absolutely in the right; the Front wing thing had to do with the fact they'd put the better part on the car of the guy who was coming second in the WDC race at that time, Mark admitted he'd ignored team orders the year after the Front Wing scandal (while he was on a one year contract and had been given assurances he wasn't a number 2 driver as a direct result of that insanely stupid saga). I don't remember the running his teammate off the track twice, but I sure as poo poo remember the aftermath of Turkey where Seb acted like a 5 year old and got away with it because Christian was in full "coddle my baby" mode.

Valtteri gets the same updates as Hamilton at the same races. His strategy is only defined by Lewis' after he's out of realistic championship running (I should specify, I mean he won't be used sacrificially not "he gets to choose the pit order"). That's not a number 2 driver, that's a driver who's not keeping up with the leader.
He did okay last year and he's started off this season okay as well. He got screwed in Melbourne by the lack of a safety car and he got screwed in China by a safety car. He's not driving a car that's about a second a lap faster than any of its rivals this year and he didn't for most of last year. I still believe that when Mercedes reviews its options, if the season ended today, they'd look at moving Bottas on and bringing up Ocon or bringing in Dan. He's a solid number 2 driver but it's absolutely not what Mercedes want, at least not based on their previous driver selections.

Jmcrofts posted:

Would I make that attempt? No. Even if I had one-millionth the skillset and reaction times an F1 driver has, there's no way I have the balls to make that. Ocon, Dan, Max and Alonso would probably all go for the mega-divebomb in there - as Dan said afterwards "it's all or nothing in that scenario". Hell, I'd have a hard time imagining Lewis or Seb not going for it too. It was timid on Valtteri's part, and that's probably the biggest sling you can make on him.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Apr 18, 2018

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Schlesische posted:

Mark "I didn't sign with you guys to play second fiddle to a 15 year old" Webber was absolutely in the right; the Front wing thing had to do with the fact they'd put the better part on the car of the guy who was coming second in the WDC race at that time

Not so fast. Mark "I was never any good anyway" Webber, was in fact offered that front wing, ran with it in practice and went back to the old one. He then threw his little hissy fit when Seb got instead, running to the British press, whining about preferential treatment.
Now, if he could have learned to get off the starting line in a reasonable manner, he might have had a shot, but as it was, he's probably the driver who's lost the most places on the first lap in the history of F1 and that's just one of the reasons that he was never more than a No.2 driver.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm already getting excited at the notion of F1 cars with anti-lag pop-pop noises added to the mix.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVVW8cSh2xo&t=70s

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Theophany posted:

Uprated fuel limit, changes to driver weights and biometric gloves being proposed. Apparently upping fuel allowance from 105kg to 110kg means the cars can use their engines at full chat for an entire race distance. MGU-Hs to be removed from 2021 as part of the proposals.

They won't of course because they could allow them to put 1000kg in but if they think there's going to be a safety car and they'll need 95kg to finish the race, that's what they'll put in.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

td4guy posted:

I'm already getting excited at the notion of F1 cars with anti-lag pop-pop noises added to the mix.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVVW8cSh2xo&t=70s

Oh jesus the standing start would sound insane.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Not so fast. Mark "I was never any good anyway" Webber, was in fact offered that front wing, ran with it in practice and went back to the old one. He then threw his little hissy fit when Seb got instead, running to the British press, whining about preferential treatment.
Now, if he could have learned to get off the starting line in a reasonable manner, he might have had a shot, but as it was, he's probably the driver who's lost the most places on the first lap in the history of F1 and that's just one of the reasons that he was never more than a No.2 driver.

We can have this slapfight as long as we want, I'm Australian and I'm absolutely not backing down on the fact that Sebastian Vettel was given extreme preferential treatment from Red Bull and that Christian Horner coddled him to a degree that's probably never been seen outside Ferrari.

BUT, that's taking away from the actual argument which is over whether or not Bottas is a true number 2 driver and I absolutely don't think he is. Kimi is a true number 2 driver, Bottas was an equal driver who didn't have the raw pace in that car last year to take the fight to Hamilton, much to Mercedes quiet relief.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

1500quidporsche posted:

That's funny cause Hamilton did nothing but subtly bitch about not being given number 1 status when Rosberg was in the team. Again very convenient to pretend it's all fair with no competition.
That's not quite true. He bitched about the team playing it safe in the name of 1-2s rather than being allowed to use all car performance or strategy options to their disposal as would have been the case if he'd been chasing a Ferrari or RBR. Plus I think he would have preferred for the two sides of the garage not to have shared all their telemetry and setup data where he viewed Rosberg got more than him than he was interested in Rosberg.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Apr 18, 2018

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

ASN posted:

Dan to Mercedes.

This is the guy who fed the media conspiracy theories about Nico's engineers?
Lol

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Khablam posted:

This is the guy who fed the media conspiracy theories about Nico's engineers?
Lol

I think he was talking about trying to get on even terms with Vettel last year, something that was taken as "I'd like to go to Ferrari" but which was probably "I'd like them to be a little bit closer when we win so we look better".

IMHO, Lewis wants to beat drivers that look closer to him in terms of Car/Driver ability. I think he'd be down with a team mate like Dan Ricciardo (something Vettel almost certainly wouldn't be) but only in so far as he expects he's better and would be able to beat him.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Pablo Bluth posted:

That's not quite true. He bitched about the team playing it safe in the name of 1-2s rather than being allowed to use all car performance or strategy options to their disposal as would have been the case if he'd been chasing a Ferrari or RBR. Plus I think he would have preferred for the two sides of the garage not to have shared all their telemetry and setup data where he viewed Rosberg got more than him than he was interested in Rosberg.

As I said he "subtly bitch about not being given number 1 status when Rosberg was in the team." lol

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Rosberg owns bring back Rosberg

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mark "Malasya 2013" Webber is a fraud.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

The Kimoa Kid posted:

only if it's Keke

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Doc Morbid posted:

only if it's Keke

Both of them owned friend.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

1500quidporsche posted:

As I said he "subtly bitch about not being given number 1 status when Rosberg was in the team." lol
But that's not asking for special treatment above Rosberg. He wanted both himself and Rosberg to be allowed to fight with both hands not one behind their backs. It's less an issue now as Mercedes need to use all options to stay ahead of Ferrari and RBR.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

DoctorGonzo posted:

Mark "Malasya 2013" Webber is a fraud.

Remember when Alonso was still on the books to be at Ferrari in 2015?
He wanted Mahrk to be there too.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I just want to say since I didn't previously: holy poo poo that was a great race.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Schlesische posted:

Remember when Alonso was still on the books to be at Ferrari in 2015?
He wanted Mahrk to be there too.

Webber had a chance and blew it but was popular in the paddock. Also pains me to say he was a better qually driver than are dan. Dan is a better racer and overtaker though. (LOLs can come in here putting them in the same sentence due to webbers crashes and incidents, but no-one can rubbish webbers first win -- it was spectacular and 1. came from pole position so he beat vettel in qually, 2. came after a drive through because webber has got to webber so there was a lot of overtakes). I loving wish are dan could qually as good as webber.

Dan is unlucky right now and the choices may be hard because merc might be on the decline, ferrari is often poison to good drivers and redbull might get the honda working in a year or 2.
Move to merc when they are on the descent, move to ferrari when vettel is there and accept the poisoned team/#2 driver or really shake things up? Might be better off staying with RB until merc sort things out, or ferrari beat them solidly in performance and work out their team/strategy.
But staying at RB then dan has to live with uncertainty/short contracts and also verstappen (being the slower qualifier to verstappen will hurt long term IMO). Also be at risk of losing out if honda works out and the TR up and comers threatening the premium seat - if someone comes up almost as good as are dan then the replacement may just happen for salary/marketing reasons.

bombshell: quickly becoming not an alonso fan. What I admired about him most was putting a car where it didn't belong as far as results. Dragging lovely ferraris around and challenging for wins is why I like him (trust me, it took a lot of this dragging around for me to forget the cheating renault days). These days the shine has worn off even though getting past vettel was "putting the car where it didn't belong.txt", it was just empty to me because there's not really any hope in the end. It was more like last gasp and give no fucks.
*drinking resumes and no fucks given*

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Residency Evil posted:

I just want to say since I didn't previously: holy poo poo that was a great race.

Yes.

Yes, it was.