Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Slightly Used Cake posted:

I like the part where they imply a 3 hour turnaround on a 30 minute file is with $1 a minute. Because that's a thing people who do this for a living would find reasonable.

Yeah, 3 hours for 30 minutes is in like the $65-70 range for at least one of my clients, and that's all without somehow managing to get down to LA to meet them in person. Like, if I gotta see your face, you better be hiring me for a Real Job and not a contracting gig.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Mar 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I know this thread is mostly about transcription but I couldn't find any ecommerce specific threads. Can anyone give me feedback on my website? I'm trying to create a classic bodybuilding/powerlifting apparel and sticker store focused on old school designs. I've found it tough to find gym shirts that don't look like some lovely tapout/TRAIN INSANE gently caress EAT KILL crossover so I thought I'd create some myself. There are a lot of classic bodybuilding fans out there who don't like the direction of modern bodybuilding and I'd like to capitalize on it. I'd like to use the store to start a side-hustle and learn analytics and marketing to hopefully quit my corporate engineering job someday.

I commissioned two sticker designs and am working on more. The shirts I designed myself in Illustrator and am working on getting more professional designs posted. I have yet to make a sale but I haven't done much marketing yet. Is there anything that jumps out that I can improve on?

https://staytenacious.com/

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

It looks pretty good to me, my one recommendation would be product descriptions for everything, possibly longer ones than you have for the ones you have. Probably a blog too, to capitalize on that hot hot SEO action.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

a dingus posted:

I know this thread is mostly about transcription but I couldn't find any ecommerce specific threads. Can anyone give me feedback on my website? I'm trying to create a classic bodybuilding/powerlifting apparel and sticker store focused on old school designs. I've found it tough to find gym shirts that don't look like some lovely tapout/TRAIN INSANE gently caress EAT KILL crossover so I thought I'd create some myself. There are a lot of classic bodybuilding fans out there who don't like the direction of modern bodybuilding and I'd like to capitalize on it. I'd like to use the store to start a side-hustle and learn analytics and marketing to hopefully quit my corporate engineering job someday.

I commissioned two sticker designs and am working on more. The shirts I designed myself in Illustrator and am working on getting more professional designs posted. I have yet to make a sale but I haven't done much marketing yet. Is there anything that jumps out that I can improve on?

https://staytenacious.com/

You should get model shots for your shirts, and the sample picture for your racerback tanks are contoured like a ladies shirt, and the ladies t-shirt and the men's t-shirt looks the same. You should just have shirts section and then a lady and gentleman model for each shirt style. That's just my two cents.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

Nighthand posted:

It looks pretty good to me, my one recommendation would be product descriptions for everything, possibly longer ones than you have for the ones you have. Probably a blog too, to capitalize on that hot hot SEO action.

Thanks, I'll improve the product descriptions. I just posted the logo design and did have time to write a good description... its been a long time since I wrote anything creative but I've been doing lots of reading on copywriting. A blog is the next big thing on my to-do list after I get 6 designs, 6 is my goal number of designs to have before I do a hard launch to my small instagram audience.

You should get model shots for your shirts, and the sample picture for your racerback tanks are contoured like a ladies shirt, and the ladies t-shirt and the men's t-shirt looks the same. You should just have shirts section and then a lady and gentleman model for each shirt style. That's just my two cents.

Good catch on the racerback! I'm going to choose a different blank for that. I'll combine the men and women's section... this will make it look like I have more product which is good too. I'm working with a dropshipper for the printing and don't have any physical product yet to get model shots but its in the works. I'm going to call locally and get quotes for printing because the drop shippers leave hardly any room for profit.

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009
There should be hazard pay for transcribing teenagers. 426 likes in 70 some minutes and I swear there were a few sentences where there was a comma or dash between every word.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Like, I have, you know, no idea what you're, like, talking about

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
I use a macro when that happens for , like, and , you know, and then remove the offending extra characters at the end. Oh, and I drink heavily, that seems to help.

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009
Honestly the most annoying thing was that one of them kept saying, “well nowadays...’,” and then proceeding to describe some typical teen behavior that has been happening since the beginning of time...

What’s that? The cool kids drink and smoke weed? You don’t say....

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Next you'll tell me modern teenagers think about sex 24/7

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
DT's kinda gone nuts with the custom formats, today's poo poo is 80 cents per minute for what are relatively easy audio, but also I have to copy down every word on screen and take pictures also.

So far I've hard to copy the entire abstract for some experiment doctors did.

E: make that two of them gently caress I'm barely even getting $1.60 for this file

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 28, 2018

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Ah, the medical poo poo's back. There needs to be some sort of charge per screen shot for copying PowerPoints. That is so much extra work.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
They must have the dumbest salespeople on earth. Or they're ripping their workers off bad. Who knows.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

AuntBuck posted:

Ah, the medical poo poo's back. There needs to be some sort of charge per screen shot for copying PowerPoints. That is so much extra work.

I'll take "stuff that's being passed along to humans because software can't handle it" for $1200, Alex.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

thylacine posted:

They must have the dumbest salespeople on earth. Or they're ripping their workers off bad. Who knows.

We're contractors so it's both basically.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Bleh, yeah, so watch out because that client drops between 700 and 1,500 files on a go. I can't believe they've switched back to copying that tables. Make sure you double check because when they originally took on that client they wanted the tables reproduced but then they realized no one was willing to do that and let it be screen-capped. Sally leaves the wording on the assignment rather vague so make her put it in an email if she wants it.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So I think I've trained Sally to not give me garbage bullshit like this, because I haven't gotten any of the medical files. On the down side, I also didn't get anything at all the last two days.

Ultimately she made the right call. I might try one just to see, but I'm almost certain I'd send that back.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
The hosed up thing about it is the typing is super easy, it's clear and easy to hear, I just gotta do more loving work on them than the pay covers. That poo poo's probably $1.20/min at least not 80 cents/min. But frankly I think poo poo like the judging dialogue of Guy Fieri's show is undercut at the 80 cent price point as well.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Man I got paid $1.10 for single speaker and like $1.60 for four speakers clearly recorded doing interviews until the shows ended and probably won't be renewed, DT is probably ripping everyone off good--they could pay more but if people will do it it doesn't matter. If someone at Rev getting paid .30 cents a minute gets on at DT they're probably like WOW IM GETTING PAID SO MUCH and will trudge a long.

If someone can at least hustle a little bit we could get our own stuff together like a co-op and each get paid well. My boss at that $1.10 job accidentally sent me the client invoice once and I think he was charging them $1.60-$1.80 a minute for easy talking head interviews.

I think like most entertainment/media/advertising jobs you always gotta know someone and get someone to kick you the work which is what sucks 'cause I suck balls at networking because I hate people. So anybody know someone in post production?

Who am I kidding, computers will do this job in a year or two, I need to learn something useful.

Also this place advertised on LA CL the other week but I'm lazy:

https://avtranscription.com/work/

$1-$1.50 a minute, says it's mostly media and focus groups. I bet some of you could get on there.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Okay, I was going to come in and ask if Rev was any good, but if it's that low paying I should just keep on moving? I'm in the middle of applying to Real Jobs and just want something I can do to get a little cash between now and Job.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Rev is trash garbage if they're still only doing 30 cents a minute, if you want in on transcript do Daily Transcription. The work frequently sucks, management sucks and is vindictive, and there isn't always enough to go around or whatever, but at least they don't pay less than 75 cents a minute except in rare cases. Ideally we should be getting like $1/min or more for a lot of this poo poo but there's basically a total of maybe two benevolent transcript companies in the world apparently.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I also saw Allegient is hiring "seasoned" transcribers. They do insurance calls. Needing a 1-1 QA person scares the hell outta me though. I just like typing dumb TV stuff and [non-interview] left out. I think it's constant work and you have to keep up with it.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Oh no, insurance calls can be amazing! And by amazing I mean a trainwreck.

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

thylacine posted:

https://avtranscription.com/work/

$1-$1.50 a minute, says it's mostly media and focus groups. I bet some of you could get on there.

These people are legit, they pay fast, they pay via Paypal, but their test is a bitch. And two out of three of their transcripts are just as bad as the test IMO. Lots of extreme accents, lots of noise, sometimes both at once.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
gently caress that. Also loving Ghost Adventures and their full verbatim dialogues. Today I'm off to go sign up to Amazon to be a part-time seasonal (because that's all they hire of course) routing center guy and literally it pays better and is easier than DT ever could. Hopefully they keep me on longer than the three months because I'd hate to get paid half decently and then have to go back to DT.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Edit; I see the OP is updated regularly. Didn't notice that before.

Going to check out the transcription and SEO optimization ones, thanks!

We picked up a foot pedal, and I'm going to get setup with Express Scribe. She's going to do a few practice transcriptions before the test, and then take it later.

A question about DT, so the plan is that she's going to do it for a couple hours during the day when the kids are at school, and then an hour or in the evening while I'm home when I'm usually studying. Is that a reasonable amount of commitment? We don't need it to make a living, since I'm well employed, but figure that it's enough for her to make a few hundred a month. That's all we really need.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 10, 2018

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Generally speaking on a decent file 10 minutes of footage can take about 30-40 minutes of realtime working on it, but you can't control for what poo poo you get from DT. 30 minutes of interview is easy to run through no problem, 30 minutes of get everything dialogue can blow rear end and take all day sometimes if it's bad enough. Usually you get interviews but because management tends to overshoot your suggested time limit by at least a little bit, and you can't control for what you get, I wouldn't put in for more than 35 minutes a day unless you guys can spend more time on it than 5ish hours. Having said all that, if you get 35 minutes of interview a day across five days that's a spare $130 per week.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Shima Honnou posted:

Generally speaking on a decent file 10 minutes of footage can take about 30-40 minutes of realtime working on it, but you can't control for what poo poo you get from DT. 30 minutes of interview is easy to run through no problem, 30 minutes of get everything dialogue can blow rear end and take all day sometimes if it's bad enough. Usually you get interviews but because management tends to overshoot your suggested time limit by at least a little bit, and you can't control for what you get, I wouldn't put in for more than 35 minutes a day unless you guys can spend more time on it than 5ish hours. Having said all that, if you get 35 minutes of interview a day across five days that's a spare $130 per week.

Thanks for the info. So for DT you can request how much time of source audio you can get a week? I'm not sure how much we can get, but she figures she can work couple hour blocks a three or four times a week.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Yeah, you have about 1-2 weeks of calendar that refreshes now and then, you just go there and put your numbers on the days. Like I said, they frequently don't respect the numbers as much as they should (I wouldn't go above 60 because requesting 60 has gotten me 80+ before) so I'd stick with it fairly low. They also sometimes will give you work even when you're not on the list pretty much just because. It wouldn't be a problem but they get super pissy if you reject work, keeping a 'secret' spite list that they'll put you on so you don't get any work for a week or two.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Yeah they're trying to cut down on people rejecting work that doesn't pay well enough. I've been on "vacation" about every other week this year.

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

Whenever I have rejected work I have rejected it fast, as in, right away, and that seems to help in not getting shut down for that week. Or maybe they were just really busy those weeks. I do have a couple of things that are auto rejects for me and once I rejected them I never got assigned another one of those, so that was good.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
But also if she requests low and completes and feels she has more time she could do she can also give Sally a poke and say hey I finished that faster than I thought, do you have anything else you need doing?

Or of course be available for rush work which CAN be a goldmine

And after a year she can apply to other companies. Where are you guys located?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

But also if she requests low and completes and feels she has more time she could do she can also give Sally a poke and say hey I finished that faster than I thought, do you have anything else you need doing?

Or of course be available for rush work which CAN be a goldmine

And after a year she can apply to other companies. Where are you guys located?

New Jersey.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Cool, yeah, do 6 months with them and see what she can do. She might hate it...she will hate it. I currently hate it and I've been doing it for...almost 6 years. :-)

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
It took a while for me to get to hate it levels and it's mostly because of long stretches of crap or everything crashing in with every client asking for my time and me liking money too much to say no (Go a week with nothing from anybody, suddenly have three different projects from three different places the same day, every loving time*). Give me nice paraphrase interviews and I'll do them forever, give me garbo grab-everything files of any type and I start getting pissy.

THAT SAID, it's easy as gently caress to get into, all you need is earbuds and a computer and you can start. You can drop it at any time and pick it up at any time. There's some room for advancement (Learning ABS/CCSL and/or going to more exclusive clients). And if you aren't relying on it to pay the bills who cares if Sally puts you or your wife on the shitlist for a week, it'll pay for Far Cry 5 or whatever and she can play poo poo instead of work for that week.

*Literally today is that day, DT, a super-rush from Keystrokes, and now Syncwords also, I have the full loving week with zero work and then now I get everyone coming at me at once it'd be nice if it were spread out a little loving bit.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 14, 2018

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
Hi all!

So, OK. About me. (I'm just getting into reading SA after about a year and a half where I ignored this place...)

I worked for LiveOps (not going to say which line by name because I think that's covered by NDA, but it was their pharma company dedicated line) from October 2015 til February. Well, kinda.

See, here's what happened:

January 2018 - I'm heading down to Florida on a 4-week vacation - I'd warned the LiveOps folks back in October, they said "have fun, there'll be a job when you get back" (verbatim); it was one third vacation in intent, two-thirds "my parents are snowbirds even tho I normally live with them (so I spend a few months on my own while they're in FL, which is difficult when you cannot drive), I'm disabled, and oh yeah my therapist says 'you really need a change in scenery, go to Florida with your parents for a bit maybe'". I'm on SSDI and other disability-related benefits so need to keep my average monthly income under $1180/month and my assets at any time ever under $2000, so taking a month off LiveOps is a good idea anyway.

Until I get hurt, anyway. See, 7 January we drove down from NJ to the condo in FL. We stopped at a rest stop in SC. I get out of car to throw something out, and because I'm blind and stupid I did not realize that 2 feet away from me was a big ice patch.

Naturally, I slip and fall on the ice - long story short, a trip to urgent care a few days later tells me I wound up with a lumbar contusion and (bonus) a diagnosis of anterolisthesis (arthritis of the spine basically) to boot from the X-ray. Add in on my part cerebral palsy, and what it adds up to is "this would be a quick and eays recovery if not for known and previously-unknown existing conditions that made it worse". So I spend 3 weeks in FL doing 3x/week physical therapy. 1/31 that ends, 2/1 I board a flight back to NJ with my dad.

And at 20k feet (literally as soon as they turn off the seatbelt sign) my back starts up again...this time with bonus arm pain to boot.

I know I have a new primary care doc I'm scheduled to see 2/5, so I suffer through it with OTC painkillers and even attempt to work LiveOps a bit.

2/5 I see the doc, she prescribes 4 weeks of PT for 3x/week. 2/6 I send a note to Liveops folks through their system explaining what happened and asking for a month's exception from the 50 hours/month time requirement. They say OK.

Then 2/27 I get a letter through their message system saying "we're removing you for not meeting the hours requirement". I log on 2/28 to schedule as the physical therapist has cleared me to return to work...and read that note. I was going to tell them I was coming back and schedule for pretty much a normal week, hours wise. :smithicide:

I've spent the month+ since looking for new job, because every other "opportunity" at LiveOps is either sales (I am terrible at sales) or requires two monitors (I see with one eye only, so can't really use two monitors).

What I'm asking, besides some venting and E/N rambling:

Transcription is not an option for me. I simply do not type fast enough (I get 50 or so wpm on a typing test, 60 if I completely ignore errors). Are there other companies besides LiveOps that:

A. Do the inbound customer service calls thing; (I liked it most months, though they'd been awfully inconsistent with hours and call volume in recent months...)
B. Hire from NJ;
C. Are not scams?

I was holding out for a W2 arrangement, but all those I could find work off mountain time - not really an option when you live on Eastern Time and, for medical reasons, need to keep a consistent sleep cycle and stuff. So I'll do 1099 again.

A complicating factor: Because of RL factors (like the aforementioned "SpaceWolf spends months alone in NJ as basically a shut-in and that does nothing good") parents want to move me down to Florida. Might be December, might be after that. I'll have a 600 sqft condo of my own (they needed to buy a second place for unrelated tax reasons, I benefit), but the point is...If I get a job now I'll be moving possibly within 7-8 months. I really don't want to hit 6 months without a job and see my resume die, it's got gaps enough.

So...advice welcome, fellow work-from-home people. (I'm also looking for jobs in the real world, but...no luck there either. The place I was previously employed at before LiveOps? Yeah, they shut down their NJ location in June 2016. So, well, FML.)

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Shima Honnou posted:

DT's kinda gone nuts with the custom formats, today's poo poo is 80 cents per minute for what are relatively easy audio, but also I have to copy down every word on screen and take pictures also.

So far I've hard to copy the entire abstract for some experiment doctors did.

E: make that two of them gently caress I'm barely even getting $1.60 for this file

The custom formats and formatting in general is bullshit. That last job I sent you the attorney flipped the gently caress out and said it was unusable. My boss just sent a response that said gently caress you we provided a sample and contract is signed. They ended up paying his full time rate to reformat it as a court certified translator and they weren't happy. I can't imagine the poo poo these transcription houses put y'all through which stems from them rolling over for every client request because they are scared of losing contracts

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Ha ha so some dumb lawyer expected a legal transcription with all the formatting and dumb stuff (grammar, ha ha) that entails (and certification to do it) to a generic transcription house and got... a generic transcription back and was mad?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

He wanted a court reporter transcription for a federal investigation that was done. Super weird request

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Spacewolf posted:

Hi all!

So, OK. About me. (I'm just getting into reading SA after about a year and a half where I ignored this place...)

I worked for LiveOps (not going to say which line by name because I think that's covered by NDA, but it was their pharma company dedicated line) from October 2015 til February. Well, kinda.

See, here's what happened:

January 2018 - I'm heading down to Florida on a 4-week vacation - I'd warned the LiveOps folks back in October, they said "have fun, there'll be a job when you get back" (verbatim); it was one third vacation in intent, two-thirds "my parents are snowbirds even tho I normally live with them (so I spend a few months on my own while they're in FL, which is difficult when you cannot drive), I'm disabled, and oh yeah my therapist says 'you really need a change in scenery, go to Florida with your parents for a bit maybe'". I'm on SSDI and other disability-related benefits so need to keep my average monthly income under $1180/month and my assets at any time ever under $2000, so taking a month off LiveOps is a good idea anyway.

Until I get hurt, anyway. See, 7 January we drove down from NJ to the condo in FL. We stopped at a rest stop in SC. I get out of car to throw something out, and because I'm blind and stupid I did not realize that 2 feet away from me was a big ice patch.

Naturally, I slip and fall on the ice - long story short, a trip to urgent care a few days later tells me I wound up with a lumbar contusion and (bonus) a diagnosis of anterolisthesis (arthritis of the spine basically) to boot from the X-ray. Add in on my part cerebral palsy, and what it adds up to is "this would be a quick and eays recovery if not for known and previously-unknown existing conditions that made it worse". So I spend 3 weeks in FL doing 3x/week physical therapy. 1/31 that ends, 2/1 I board a flight back to NJ with my dad.

And at 20k feet (literally as soon as they turn off the seatbelt sign) my back starts up again...this time with bonus arm pain to boot.

I know I have a new primary care doc I'm scheduled to see 2/5, so I suffer through it with OTC painkillers and even attempt to work LiveOps a bit.

2/5 I see the doc, she prescribes 4 weeks of PT for 3x/week. 2/6 I send a note to Liveops folks through their system explaining what happened and asking for a month's exception from the 50 hours/month time requirement. They say OK.

Then 2/27 I get a letter through their message system saying "we're removing you for not meeting the hours requirement". I log on 2/28 to schedule as the physical therapist has cleared me to return to work...and read that note. I was going to tell them I was coming back and schedule for pretty much a normal week, hours wise. :smithicide:

I've spent the month+ since looking for new job, because every other "opportunity" at LiveOps is either sales (I am terrible at sales) or requires two monitors (I see with one eye only, so can't really use two monitors).

What I'm asking, besides some venting and E/N rambling:

Transcription is not an option for me. I simply do not type fast enough (I get 50 or so wpm on a typing test, 60 if I completely ignore errors). Are there other companies besides LiveOps that:

A. Do the inbound customer service calls thing; (I liked it most months, though they'd been awfully inconsistent with hours and call volume in recent months...)
B. Hire from NJ;
C. Are not scams?

I was holding out for a W2 arrangement, but all those I could find work off mountain time - not really an option when you live on Eastern Time and, for medical reasons, need to keep a consistent sleep cycle and stuff. So I'll do 1099 again.

A complicating factor: Because of RL factors (like the aforementioned "SpaceWolf spends months alone in NJ as basically a shut-in and that does nothing good") parents want to move me down to Florida. Might be December, might be after that. I'll have a 600 sqft condo of my own (they needed to buy a second place for unrelated tax reasons, I benefit), but the point is...If I get a job now I'll be moving possibly within 7-8 months. I really don't want to hit 6 months without a job and see my resume die, it's got gaps enough.

So...advice welcome, fellow work-from-home people. (I'm also looking for jobs in the real world, but...no luck there either. The place I was previously employed at before LiveOps? Yeah, they shut down their NJ location in June 2016. So, well, FML.)

Honestly 50-60 WPM isn't bad at all, and I believe 50 was the minimum required for hire as an offline caption editor where I work. It's very likely something you could do to supplement LiveOps, and your state of residence would be completely irrelevant as a contractor.