Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shageletic posted:

This is really reminiscent of a stretch of X-men comics done by Mike Carey where Legion creates a parallel world where he's a hero fighting with the X-men against an implacable horde of faceless enemies intent on destroying the last bastion of mutantdom. The gray palette, the ludicrous architecture

I want to know what is in that building in the distance that has multiple hands pointing at it. It'd be amusing if a big confrontation happened there.

Shageletic posted:

I'm thinking it's more the Logan timeline (the movie).

Except there was no apocalypse in the Logan timeline, not for humans. A way was found to stop new mutants from happening and it worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Really glad I started eating when this episode started

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ugh I hate that teeth chattering sound. It's so uncomfortable

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

That was so, so good.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

LEGION - This will make you vomit

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Henchman of Santa posted:

Really glad I started eating when this episode started

The second they followed up defining nocebo with the statement “this will make you vomit” I smashed the pause button to finish my sandwich before they showed the actual deed.

I still couldn’t help mentally picturing it and I think my imaginary version was grosser than the scene itself ended up being on the show. Thanks nocebo effect.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Lol at Farouk's palpable disgust over people thinking the teeth chattering virus was him.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

cochise posted:

LEGION - This will make you vomit

This needs to be the new thread title.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Also hilarious was Lenny trying to off herself in the background of their scene and having absolutely no success.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

I swear to christ I twitched a bit during the nocebo explanation.

:stonklol:

This show is so loving strange. I want to hate it but I can't. It's just so good on so many levels.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Why do you want to hate it?

freudorbison
Sep 5, 2011
I have to say - as great as Aubrey Plaza and Jemaine Clement were in season 1, I'm almost glad their characters' importance has diminished so far. Navid Negahban is really killing it.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

... gonna get eaten by a grue...

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Why do you want to hate it?

I don't know. At first, it felt like it was leaning real hard into being weird for the sake of it. Just disjointed and jarring nonsense for the sake of art. Like a Jackson Pollock painting made into a series. It reminded me of the guy with a mustache like a dinner theater villain, wearing lederhosen, a Rolling Stones tank top, sockless winklepicker shoes, and a way too long scarf.

It seemed way too far up it's own rear end.

But after watching the first few episodes, I started to get it and really get into it. I love the show now. But it took me a minute to get passed it's surface. You have to really watch the show. It's not one you just glance at while doing something else, you miss out on so much good cinematography and story telling.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

freudorbison posted:

I have to say - as great as Aubrey Plaza and Jemaine Clement were in season 1, I'm almost glad their characters' importance has diminished so far. Navid Negahban is really killing it.

Navid Negahban has been a good addition to the show, but if given the choice I would rather have had Jemaine Clement continue as both Oliver and Shadow King.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I don't get the link between the main events and the noncebo effect at the start? Noncebo - creating physical symptoms due to social cues and are transmitted via social cues... the teeth clattering is the only "fit" but doesn't quite make sense from a narrative pov given that it's revealed that the monk induced the teeth clattering effect

double nine fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 18, 2018

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

double nine posted:

I don't get the link between the main events and the noncebo effect at the start? Noncebo - creating physical symptoms due to social cues and are transmitted via social cues... the teeth clattering is the only "fit" but doesn't quite make sense from a narrative pov given that it's revealed that the monk induced the teeth clattering effect

i could be wrong but - isn't it a reference to the ongoing broadcast of all the symptoms over the PA in division 3?

i thought they didn't know what was causing the plague of chattering except that it was probably something the shadow king was doing to hurt them, and that all these symptoms could be signs of his influence. instead, maybe he's not responsible at all and they're generating 'noncebo' disorders out of nothing on accident.

e: i see people on other sites talking about noncebo being the monk's fault too. i feel like the more interesting outcome is real pathologies emerging out of nothing (like the actual real-life cheerleader example), rather than a magical virus carrier psychic monk doing it all.

eke out fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 18, 2018

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I love the show for being creative, but I'm worried that they're already repeating the ”get the band back together out of Astral jail" device that just seems like an artsy-fartsy way to burn an episode or two. Melanie's motivation was just spelled out last week ffs.

See also: Division 3 security is useless and David/Amal Farouk/mid-life crisis Airbender waltz in to do mind things. I'm fine with journey before destination, but the journey then needs to be more original than confirming that each character also feels that the power they have is also a burden.

Edit: love the two security dudes posted out front like it ain't no thang.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 18, 2018

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

ekeog posted:

i could be wrong but - isn't it a reference to the ongoing broadcast of all the symptoms over the PA in division 3?

i thought they didn't know what was causing the plague of chattering except that it was probably something the shadow king was doing to hurt them, and that all these symptoms could be signs of his influence. instead, maybe he's not responsible at all and they're generating 'noncebo' disorders out of nothing on accident.

e: i see people on other sites talking about noncebo being the monk's fault too. i feel like the more interesting outcome is real pathologies emerging out of nothing (like the actual real-life cheerleader example), rather than a magical virus carrier psychic monk doing it all.

I think maybe the monk's doing it on purpose. The reason why is that Ptolemy was locked into a cycle that was pleasant for him, and in the flashback, once things god very bad, the fellow monks were also clapping teeth. I could see it as an attempt to get people out of his way (and out of harms way) until he could find what he needed to destroy the shadow king, and then restore the victims afterwards.

Mallory though? err, maybe she wanted to be left alone in an empty void, with no thoughts to remind her of her depression/lost-found-lost-again love?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

double nine posted:

The regular dull thuds of Farouk pounding on the egg prison caused all the other monks to lose their poo poo. There was some social component to it (i.e. two monks hanging themselves) but the 'delusion' of Paul stopping to smell the roses isn't 1:1 a noncebo.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

well, no. If I'm right and clattering teeth are induced by the monk, the noncebo has to refer to something else that I am missing. If I'm wrong (which is completely possible) then the clattering teeth are the/a noncebo and are probably inadvertently spread by patient zero, the monk.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

double nine posted:

well, no. If I'm right and clattering teeth are induced by the monk, the noncebo has to refer to something else that I am missing. If I'm wrong (which is completely possible) then the clattering teeth are the/a noncebo and are probably inadvertently spread by patient zero, the monk.
The clattering teeth are induced by the monk. The noncebo doesn't "have to" do poo poo as a result of that basic fact that was broadcast very clearly. The narration directly stated "if X can be agreed-upon reality, what else?" at the end as a leading question that should open it up, not restrict it to your dumb proscription.

The monk clearly knew what he was doing. He talks about it on the rooftop scene.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

double nine posted:

Like the woman who says "This will make you vomit", the monk puts the idea in their head but they're the ones that keep themselves there. Ptonomy isn't trapped in his garden, he's happy in his garden. Why live in the real world when he could live in a world of his own creation?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah The Monk appears to put you in your own personal (but contagious) Matrix. If you were in that room with the saline drip, and had a way to maintain nourishment, you'd probably fight with everything you had to stay inside it.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Geez, the episode spelled out the reason for the chattering - monk is the Typhoid Mary, he's the one spreading it, but not doing it consciously - just like the cheerleader in the opening scene...

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Monglo posted:

Geez, the episode spelled out the reason for the chattering - monk is the Typhoid Mary, he's the one spreading it, but not doing it consciously - just like the cheerleader in the opening scene...
What make you a Typhoid Mary is spreading something without being affected yourself. The real Typhoid Mary became aware of what she was and didn't give a poo poo, willingly continuing to infect people. Like her, the monk is aware of what he's doing.

David: Stop making people sick!
Monk: People don't matter. Only the body matters.

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 18, 2018

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I love this batshit crazy show.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Pussy Quipped posted:

I love this batshit crazy show.

:same:

Though, it seems that David is about to lose his poo poo in more or less an episode away?

Jon Hamm's narration laid stuff brick by brick in such a simple, but entertaining way that I think that the plot is pretty much spelled out by this point? imho monk dude pretty much confirmed that either legion or syd were compromised, whether it was retroactive fuckery by Legion himself or SK doing it I have no idea; thing is, going by the delusion explanation video, 'we reject other, more rational and likely explanations to foster a delusion', Legion can't pick up on the various signs that the guy is a monster, paying no mind to the damage he has done or hell, that he might be lying to him?

Also, why the gently caress is everybody going "The Shadow King will END US ALL!?!", isn't that a massive and gross exaggeration given that David's dad packed him in without much trouble?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
davids dad was professor x

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah, this seems to take the history from the comics in that the Shadow King was the most powerful entity around until Xavier showed up and defeated him.

And we don't know where Xavier is, so it's possible that if the other characters think he's off the board, that they're afraid there's nothing to stop the Shadow King except an inexperienced and possibly compromised David.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Ah, thanks, I went "wait a minute I think I know a few more dudes who are way badder than Xavier in mindfuckery powers", but then again, Legion show is its own thing almost entirely

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

dead comedy forums posted:

Ah, thanks, I went "wait a minute I think I know a few more dudes who are way badder than Xavier in mindfuckery powers", but then again, Legion show is its own thing almost entirely

Yeah, but Xavier still isn't anything to sneeze at. David's supposed to be infinitely more powerful than his dad, which is why the thought of him going rogue is particularly horrifying. They're right to fear David in a way, because if he zigs instead of zags at the wrong time, the world will be welcoming its new overlord.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Why didn't David go into the minds of people chattering their teeth before it happened to his friends?
What a jerk.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So, Carey totally said "Is isn't Shi'iar" when looking at the sphere? Space Bird jerks incoming!

night slime
May 14, 2014
What was with the cutaway to the moon during one of the monk scenes? I kept wondering if they were going to address the "what did the stars say" thing where he ate the tape recording and David's dad's face from last season, since he taught him about the stars.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

So, Carey totally said "Is isn't Shi'iar" when looking at the sphere? Space Bird jerks incoming!

I thought it was just an easter egg reference tbqh, can't see Hawley working the Shi'ar into this type of narrative at least so suddenly

But then again, he put (spoilers for Fargo, season 2) motherfucking UFOs in a motel shootout so who knows?

night slime posted:

I kept wondering if they were going to address the "what did the stars say" thing where he ate the tape recording and David's dad's face from last season, since he taught him about the stars.

I don't think we are ever going to find about that one, unless it is somehow related with ALIENS!?!? as per above

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

dead comedy forums posted:

I thought it was just an easter egg reference tbqh, can't see Hawley working the Shi'ar into this type of narrative at least so suddenly

But then again, he put (spoilers for Fargo, season 2) motherfucking UFOs in a motel shootout so who knows?

I don't think we are ever going to find about that one, unless it is somehow related with ALIENS!?!? as per above

I kinda got worried that the thing that kills everyone is the Pheonix, but I doubt they're going to do that. Sublime or something on that level would be more realistic.

Though it could be a easter egg as you said.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Since the new X-Men film is going to bring the space stuff into the movie canon, I doubt they'd start the ball rolling on that on this show; even if the two aren't connected canonically. The Shi'ar reference was probably just something fun they threw in for the hardcore fanbase.

It definitely feels like they're leading towards either Shadow King manipulating things, or David being the big bad in the future; the X-Men have a ton of villains they could pull from and something like Sublime would be really great to see since I doubt we'd ever seen him on the big screen.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

I kinda got worried that the thing that kills everyone is the Pheonix, but I doubt they're going to do that. Sublime or something on that level would be more realistic.

Though it could be a easter egg as you said.

Oooooh Hamm as Sublime seems to work pretty well based on what I remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Guys, the term is "nocebo", not "noncebo".

And for an equally fascinating effect, it appears that the placebo effect still works even when the patient is aware he/she is being administered a placebo.