Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

dexefiend posted:

Buffmander and 9 Crisis Suits with 2xBurst, ATS costs: 715 points, and is expected to do 12.96+/-3.26 damage.

You can replicate this scenario for 355 points with a Buffmander and 3 Crisis Suits armed with 2xCIB, ATS, which is expected to do 15.56+/-3.53 damage.

Although you don't get to roll 72 dice, and those Jetbike guys are pretty much the perfect target for CIBs.

Crisis Suits loving rule. :allears:

I find it endlessly hilarius that the best loadout for crisis suits requires a bit of which there is only one in the commander box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Someday I want to get a Xiphon Interceptor because it looks cool.

Has anyone here ever fielded one? Is it any good?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

TheBigAristotle posted:

I've always wanted to build one with a dreadnought somehow in place of the cockpit (I figure the amniotic sack the entombees float in would handle high-G turns better than a meat-marine pilot).

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Do we have any time estimates on when the next three codices will drop?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

TheBigAristotle posted:

They were played in the bobby fireraptor/raven air force for a while. They are cool and good sources of lascannons

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Schadenboner posted:

I've always wanted to build one with a dreadnought somehow in place of the cockpit (I figure the amniotic sack the entombees float in would handle high-G turns better than a meat-marine pilot).
There's an Iron Hands xiphon in Horus Heresy book VI which is just that. No visible sarcophagus though.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Zuul the Cat posted:

I started AdMech near the end of 7th edition, so it's mainly just stuff we lost from 7th to 8th. In 7th, one of the things I loved most about the army was how technological they felt while being played, not just in the fluff. One such item was the Conversion Field - 4++ save, and if it passed all units within D6" had test to see if they had been blinded for a turn (including the own unit that had the item).

I thought it was a cool thing because it firstly gave AdMech access to a better than 5++ save, and there was an additional component to it. It wasn't just a straight up pass fail, it felt like janky technology.

Another thing I was a big fan of was the Neurostatic Aura in 7th edition. It would reduce the WS, BS and I of enemy units within 6" of the Sicarian Infiltrators by 1. Now instead it only reduces enemy leadership by 1, which aside from never being useful in any of my games, it doesn't really make sense. The fluff about these guys is that their helmets radiate so much noise that is causes enemies to not be able to see, hear or think clearly. The story included with them talks about how they walk up to defenses and simply open fire because defenders are unable to do anything other than remember how to breathe.

This is translated to...a -1 in leadership? :psyduck:

Cool groggy stuff like this is why I dislike 8th. They got rid of things like this in the name of streamlining and then hosed the rest of it up. HH still has all of this and more and I love it.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Mef989 posted:

My bet is: "Somewhere between the present-plus-the-smallest-measurable-fraction-of-time and the time of the heat death of the universe, but I'm not sure. :ohdear:

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Mef989 posted:

I would assume they're coming in in the next two months. They generally have been quick about pushing out the chunks of 3 codexes once they announce what they are.

EDIT:

Games Workshop posted:

Over the next few months, three much-awaited new codexes will be landing:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/03/22/breaking-news-major-revealsgw-homepage-post-1/

Salynne fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 18, 2018

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Mef989 posted:

Almost certainly before the end of May. I expect we'll see the first of them previewed either this weekend or next weekend just before WD leaks start, then every other weekend for the others.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Announcing them over the next few weeks, then doing the announcement of the next 3 at LGT, would make a lot of sense.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

dexefiend posted:

Buffmander and 9 Crisis Suits with 2xBurst, ATS costs: 715 points, and is expected to do 12.96+/-3.26 damage.

You can replicate this scenario for 355 points with a Buffmander and 3 Crisis Suits armed with 2xCIB, ATS, which is expected to do 15.56+/-3.53 damage.

Although you don't get to roll 72 dice, and those Jetbike guys are pretty much the perfect target for CIBs.

Crisis Suits loving rule. :allears:

Jetbike Captains are like the single worst target for the suits I was running, too. Against something like Orks it's nearly 60 dead boys, decreasing by 10 dead things at a time as armor saves get better.

It's a lot of dead Primaris, that's for sure (~15 models).

Or it's whatever big thing with 20ish wounds I feel like nuking.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

When you say Buffmander what do you have on it?

There's a newer Tau player locally that is bummed about not being able to use crisis suits well. I'd like to help him out.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Floppychop posted:

There's a newer Tau player locally that is bummed about not being able to use crisis suits well. I'd like to help him out.

Crisis Suit Commander with Drone Controller and Shield Generator.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

TTerrible posted:

Cool groggy stuff like this is why I dislike 8th. They got rid of things like this in the name of streamlining and then hosed the rest of it up. HH still has all of this and more and I love it.

Yeah. I understand removing USR and the streamlining argument, but the blanket removal didn't work out so great for all armies equally. Also most of my 40k AdMech stuff can't be used in HH. Also no one in my area plays 30k.

Hopefully I'm happier with AdMech in 9th.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Zuul the Cat posted:

Yeah. I understand removing USR and the streamlining argument, but the blanket removal didn't work out so great for all armies equally.
I sincerely don't understand how removing USRs was a good thing. The issue was never with the idea of having universal, consistently-named rules, it was the hodgepodge of interactions that existed between the various rules. Changing to 50 identical variants of deep strike or feel no pain doesn't help the game. Print them on the dataslates for easier reference, whatever. Just keep things consistent. It's basic organization.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Safety Factor posted:

I sincerely don't understand how removing USRs was a good thing. The issue was never with the idea of having universal, consistently-named rules, it was the hodgepodge of interactions that existed between the various rules. Changing to 50 identical variants of deep strike or feel no pain doesn't help the game. Print them on the dataslates for easier reference, whatever. Just keep things consistent. It's basic organization.

Yeah, the more time goes on, I feel starting a new edition instead of giving us a balanced 7.5 is the largest mistake so far.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

dexefiend posted:

I must be doing something wrong, because that adds up to 411pts

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

I like not having wargear that you look up on another page that then points you to USR that is in another book.

But they went too far and absolutely walked themselves in a corner with deepstrike/feel no pain/transports. Now they are issuing FAQ that says "anything that basically looks like feel no pain can't be doubled up" and "anything that looks like deep strike can't deep strike outside your deployment zone on turn 1" which is like :jerkbag: sounds like you should have just named them all the same thing in the first place guys. Some kind of..universal rule maybe.

EDIT: I don't care about losing USR for things like "reroll charge distances" or whatever either, because that stuff generally is simple enough to not have weird interactions anyway since you can never reroll a die more than once.

Salynne fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 18, 2018

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Floppychop posted:

I must be doing something wrong, because that adds up to 411pts

Buffmander has no guns, I just pick the cheapest (useful) support options.

That makes the Buffmander 85 points, plus 3x 42+18+18+12 for a total of 270 + 85 = 355

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Uroboros posted:

Yeah, the more time goes on, I feel starting a new edition instead of giving us a balanced 7.5 is the largest mistake so far.

:monocle:

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
FWIW most T'au lists I see labeled as competitive are running Vior'la Commanders in Coldstar 4x Fusions. That's it.

But also I was told to check out Dakka and then over the last few pages it seems like this thread actually thinks it's bad?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Uroboros posted:

Is 8th more or less balanced than 7th? Outside of Grey Knights aren't all armies fairly competitive?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Safety Factor posted:

I think their argument was that they wanted to streamline the game. Which in all honesty, I no longer have to look back in the BRB constantly to find stuff, so they accomplished that part. But, it's just been replaced with having to look at my datasheets or my opponents to know what's what, and the interactions between them are still just as complicated.

Edit - But I still very much enjoy 8th far more than 7th. RIP(iss) templates.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

dexefiend posted:

I read those comments about the Icarus Array and was like, "Does this mean the Stalker tank is good too?"

No. No it is not. 110 points for 3 shots a turn is not good.

Edit: I just noticed it gets 6 shots. Ima have to do the math on it.

Thanks for the edit. I had looked at a Stalker and couldn't figure out why it was so terrible. The answer is because I also didn't realize there are two of those guns.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Floppychop posted:

The stuff he's talking about is fun, but you're talking about a 450 point suicide unit that probably won't make its points back before dying. And it's using one of the rarer weapon models.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

FWIW most T'au lists I see labeled as competitive are running Vior'la Commanders in Coldstar 4x Fusions. That's it.

But also I was told to check out Dakka and then over the last few pages it seems like this thread actually thinks it's bad?

It's bad because it's full of dumbass pissbabies who whine over everything and/or make novel-length posts over how the SJWs are ruining their tittyfigs. If you want list advice (especially on a competitive level) it's not a bad source.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Uroboros posted:

I think the real solution would be 7E but we remove everything except for Space Marines and just pretend Formations were never a thing, too.

:thunk:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

NovemberMike posted:

The stuff he's talking about is fun, but you're talking about a 450 point suicide unit that probably won't make its points back before dying. And it's using one of the rarer weapon models.

This is why I used 9 suits. It takes a lot of killing to kill 9 Crisis Suits.

Especially since there's "more dangerous" stuff like Pathfinders to still shoot.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Uroboros posted:

Yeah, they got completely the wrong message about USRs - the concept wasn't bad, the implementation sucked. They didn't even totally abandon it - FLY is basically still a USR, and they could easily have implemented ~10 of them in exactly the same way for Deep Strike, Feel No Pain etc.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Dakka is a cesspit. There's only like 40-50 people that still post in the 40k section, and they're all intensely stupid. Most of the threads are the same guys going endlessly in circles with each other making ever more ridiculous suggestions of how to "fix" the game, without understanding a single one of the things they think they're addressing. Plus there's the bonus angry misogynists who pop up everywhere.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Schadenboner posted:

Fitting, given that the design is basically a BSG Raptor. Like a reverse Starbuck in the Cylon Raider

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Schadenboner posted:

I think the real solution would be 7E but we remove everything except for Space Marines and just pretend Formations were never a thing, too.

:thunk:

HH is based on 5th with bits cherry picked from 6th and 7th and it works great.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Uroboros posted:

They had to do a full new edition to justify saying that all rules prior are being thrown out. Too many old formations and forge world units to try and update any other way. The big things 8th needed to do was better incorporate LoW sized model, get rid of the Independent Character rule, swap out Formations for something that has a cost, and make the rules more accessible to newer players. I think they succeeded in all four.

It honestly isn't very different from a 7.5 edition.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
But crisis suits were declared hot garbage were they not?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

For_Great_Justice posted:

But crisis suits were declared hot garbage were they not?

They are still too expensive for anyone not Farsight Enclaves. Their specific use I keyed in on last night was Drop Zone Clear (Farsight specific strat) plus Command-and-Control Node (strat that requires a commander to not shoot), and also about 700 points to do what it did.

In that highly limited window they murdered the poo poo out of some jetbikes (on the bottom of turn 2). Outside of it they're expensive and unreliable.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Is 8th more or less balanced than 7th? Outside of Grey Knights aren't all armies fairly competitive?

Balanced? Sure, but that isn't my main beef.

It's more that the game feels really watered down in certain areas. The simplification of rules seems misguided, and not what was killing 7th. It was all the broken combos, and free poo poo, that could've been easily removed by addressing about a dozen major problem areas.

At this point if I could take my favorite parts of 7th and 8th and put them together I think you could easily come out with a game far superior to both.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Was someone asking about admech shoulder pads for space marines a while ago? Because I think I found one.

I opened up the last box that my friend left here. It was, as expected, just a big pile of sprues and a few old models. Like some metal PA grey knights. Like the original Scylla chaos spawn model. Like about two dozen Realm of Chaos era Chaos warriors and sorcerors. I’ll take a photo later but right now I’m wanking myself stupid over a little pile of antique metal soldiers. This is better than any of the tanks and poo poo in the other boxes, a million times better.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

TTerrible posted:

HH is based on 5th with bits cherry picked from 6th and 7th and it works great.

Yeah, because you've gatekept 90% of the models in the game out of it and every faction except for one (with exception of a small Imperial Guard and Mechanicus lists and a very few Daemon units).

It's like: "I don't see why we need traffic cops, the cars at the Indy 500 seem to do fine without them!"

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

MasterSlowPoke posted:

They had to do a full new edition to justify saying that all rules prior are being thrown out. Too many old formations and forge world units to try and update any other way. The big things 8th needed to do was better incorporate LoW sized model, get rid of the Independent Character rule, swap out Formations for something that has a cost, and make the rules more accessible to newer players. I think they succeeded in all four.

It honestly isn't very different from a 7.5 edition.

At this point I'd rather have not gotten rid of independent characters at all. With how important getting character buffs is to unit effectiveness (particularly melee units), and the pace of the game sped up and shifted a bit more to turn 1/2, having your characters whiff their deep strike charges while the unit makes it in and needing to conga line back to them really sucks. I'd like to see either being able to attach one character to a unit, or have abilities/strategems that let you get a longer charge let you bring a character along. You could maybe fairly simply do it by allowing one character within 2" of a friendly unit use their roll (including all modifiers and additional dice) for advances and charge. That way you still don't have the character in the unit so they fight alone and can get picked out by snipers, but they're able to keep up with the unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Schadenboner posted:

Yeah, because you've gatekept 90% of the models in the game out of it and every faction except for one (with exception of a small Imperial Guard and Mechanicus lists and a very few Daemon units).

It's like: "I don't see why we need traffic cops, the cars at the Indy 500 seem to do fine without them!"

You are an absolutely terrible poster.

Gatekept. It's a game about a giant civil war between space marines. It doesn't exclude 90% of the models because those models don't exist in the setting. What is wrong with you. :psyduck:

Every faction except one? Each Legion is essentially a seperate army as much as the marines that have their own Codexes have been in 40k. The mechanicum faction is three different army lists. The cults and militia is a make-your-own-army-list setup that lets you field everything from squats, non-imperial humans like the interex, etc up to chaos cults.

You get so mad about 30k but have no idea what you're talking about. Why are you mad that HH works, I do not understand. YEAH WELL IT ONLY WORKS BECAUSE <reasons the game works well> SO gently caress YOU? What?