Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

What's evil about an in game trade for a trade evolution? Sounds pretty good to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dabir posted:

What's evil about an in game trade for a trade evolution? Sounds pretty good to me.

You've never actually traded with that guy have you?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

It's a masterful troll. Did anyone really expect the game to give you a free Gengar like that?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I was hopeful and gently caress that guy. they do give you a free alolan golem in gen 7 at least

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I still have MARC and CH'DING hanging around in my boxes.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Zuzie posted:

It's a masterful troll. Did anyone really expect the game to give you a free Gengar like that?

I did :(

They did it in Yellow with Machamp!

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

I did :(

They did it in Yellow with Machamp!

It's pretty cool because you can theoretically get a Level 5 Machamp this way. When I get Ultra Sun I might do a run with all underleveled fully-evolveds, like the level 9 Salamence and more.

Do we know what CH'DING means?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Getting a Pokémon named "Ki'Dding" is, I think we can agree, pretty Farfetch'd.

That's my interpretation anyway.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
The ch comes from fetch so it obviously isn’t pronounced ki

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I always assumed it was the onomatopeia for that anime lens flare noise. Or possibly an interpretation of "shing," which is the sound I'd ascribe to a blade being brandished.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

less laughter posted:

The ch comes from fetch so it obviously isn’t pronounced ki

I didn't say it was a good interpretation

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

The sequence of characters "ch'd" appears in both "Farfetch'd" and "Ch'ding". That's the best I can offer.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Or possibly an interpretation of "shing," which is the sound I'd ascribe to a blade being brandished.

yeah, pretty sure it's the stereotypical sound of a katana being unsheathed.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

These are all very strange ways to spell DUX. :colbert:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Bogart posted:

I didn't say it was a good interpretation

It's a fine interpretation, don't let the prescriptivists win

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

CascadeBeta posted:

Hone Claws/High Jump Kick/Acrobatics Hawlucha ended up being my MVP by the end. Wrestlebird is the best bird.

Will no one think of the Flying Press? :ohdear:

It covers two move types in one slot!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Parrotine posted:

Wait

What

Was it always like that? Isn't that sort of a nerf since it can't hit Steel and Rock super effective

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Parrotine posted:

Flying Press is bad because you're losing two really useful super effectives in exchange for super effectives Hawlucha can cover better with a pure flying move. High Jump Kick/Acrobatics is a much stronger set than anything with flying press in it.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

CascadeBeta posted:

Flying Press is bad because you're losing two really useful super effectives in exchange for super effectives Hawlucha can cover better with a pure flying move. High Jump Kick/Acrobatics is a much stronger set than anything with flying press in it.

Counterpoint: Flying press is good because Hawlucha looks dope as gently caress coming in from the top rope.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Flying Press was made for Pikachu Libre

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I wish Flying Press calculated its damage based on whether the Flying or Fighting half did more damage, so it could still do 4x to, say, Aggron and Parasect. It's such a unique move with miniscule usage.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

less laughter posted:

Flying Press was made for Pikachu Libre

Also true.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

DizzyBum posted:

I wish Flying Press calculated its damage based on whether the Flying or Fighting half did more damage, so it could still do 4x to, say, Aggron and Parasect. It's such a unique move with miniscule usage.

I wish we had more than one measly Fighting/Flying mon, though it is a very lovely one. And also that it had a baby form because it would be totes kewt.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

all fighting types should have tyrogue as a baby form with extraordinarily esoteric evolution related items

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
to evolve Tyrogue into Marshadow you have to kill him :(

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There should be more dual-type fighting pokémon in general. A rock/fighting or ghost/fighting type would be heck of cool.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
^^ Both of those exist already. Granted one is an Uber but what can you do.

DizzyBum posted:

It is, but there's also no real need for it. Swords Dance, Acrobatics and High Jump Kick paired with your choice of Substitute or Roost is already an insanely good set.

The brief period where Hawlucha was UU in Gen 6 was glorious. :allears:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

CascadeBeta posted:

It is, but there's also no real need for it. Swords Dance, Acrobatics and High Jump Kick paired with your choice of Substitute or Roost is already an insanely good set.

The brief period where Hawlucha was UU in Gen 6 was glorious. :allears:

It’s apparently OU in Sun Moon

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

CascadeBeta posted:

I mean real pokémon, not legendaries. :colbert:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Do people actually like baby pokemon? :psyduck: Adding weak pre-evolutions to existing mons seems like such a huge waste.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

TheKingofSprings posted:

It’s apparently OU in Sun Moon

At the start of XY it was UU and was an absolute terror. It eventually got kicked to BL along with a lot of the megas that had been terrorizing UU at the time (M-Gardevoir comes to mind).

God early XY UU was so nuts in a great way. Nobody knew what they were doing, everyone was trying poo poo they normally wouldn't even dare because of the stat changes/megas/fairies. That original month and a half before bans went out was probably the best UU has ever been.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

There should be more dual-type fighting pokémon in general. A rock/fighting or ghost/fighting type would be heck of cool.

I agree, it's lame that there's only one of those as well. A lot of people wanted Conkeldurr to be Fighting/Rock. And Dusknoir could've been Ghost/Fighting I guess, what with those punchy arms and fists.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Avalerion posted:

Do people actually like baby pokemon? :psyduck: Adding weak pre-evolutions to existing mons seems like such a huge waste.

I tend to prefer Pokemon that evolve. I look forward to the evolutions as a sign that progress has been made. It's particularly great when going through the story, as you feel that you and your Pokemon have achieved something with their evolution. You've worked hard together, so your Pokemon evolved!

As far as baby Pokemon go, some of them are pretty cute. I particularly love Cleffa for being such a cute, squishy, star-thing. If I was an anime Pokemon trainer that had a Pokemon that would never evolve, it would probably be a Cleffa.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Yeah when I build teams I tend to go for multistage Pokémon. There’s just something exciting about evolving your Pokémon even when you know exactly what you’re going to get.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
If it was just Garchomp or Haxorus instead of little tiny baby man that grows up, I would have a lot less fun.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Flopsy posted:

Imagine not every one participates and there's other things to do. But we continuously follow a contender who you know beyond a shadow of a doubt is never going to be allowed to win because that wouldn't be toeing the line.

And yes either of those two would be perfectly fine.

Awesome. I don't. And it's not just because he doesn't win.

Imagine caring this much about the plot of the pokemon anime series

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Avalerion posted:

theyre cute u dummie

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Just finished the elite 4 in Ultra Sun with a team I suck with from the beginning: Gengar, Incineroar, Decidueye, Primarina, Noivern, and Malamar. Malamar soloed the steel trainer by itself, which was awesome.

Now it's time to figure out what the pay game is.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I don't give a poo poo about the Pokemon anime at all until the end of region tournament

It's the equivalent of playoff hockey for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

less laughter posted:

I wish we had more than one measly Fighting/Flying mon, though it is a very lovely one. And also that it had a baby form because it would be totes kewt.

Out of curiosity I checked a type distribution chart. There are 25 types combinations that only have one Poke representing it, most of them being a Legendary, a Megaevolution or a forme change.

There are also 25 type combinations that still have not yet been used, some really interesting ones like Poison/Steel (2 weaknesses, 6 normal resistances, 3 double resistance and 1 immunity plus it's type combination making it the ultimate Fairy killer), Fighting/Fairy (2 very good offensive types), and Dark/Fairy among others. Back in gen 6 I had my fingers crossed for Nidoking getting a Poison/Steel mega :sigh:

Out of mono types, Flying is the rarest with only Tornadus, but Steel is also relatively rare with just 5 entries (with Dragons being at 12 supposedly being rarer)

Water and Flying are the only 2 types that have all possible combinations. Normal, Bug, Poison and Fairy have the least possible combinations, all of them still missing 5 dual type matchups.

I hope Gen 8 really gets into messing with these.

Also, Stakataka not being Rock/Ghost still makes me sad :(