Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Immanentized posted:

Also to bring about a Christian dominion on earth. It's a direct offshoot of Dominionism, which is all about legislating god's kingdom on earth. Through sheer numbers.

Weren’t they trying to get people to move to South Carolina or something as the Christian State Movement or something? Mimicking the libertarians in New Hampshire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazyivan45
Apr 30, 2008
It would be great if all the evangelicals would move to one state. Even better if they then try and secede. Went by my favorite vendor at Sun n Fun last week but he was out of the ‘General Sherman’s BBQ tour of the South’ shirts

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

crazyivan45 posted:

It would be great if all the evangelicals would move to one state.

They did. It's called 'Mississippi'.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

pantslesswithwolves posted:

This is dangerous technology. Can you imagine if someone used this to make a video of Trump saying all kinds of racist and unhinged poo poo?

Some should use this to make Trump give Obama's speeches.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Nystral posted:

Weren’t they trying to get people to move to South Carolina or something as the Christian State Movement or something? Mimicking the libertarians in New Hampshire?

No, that's the Christian Exodus movement, which is dominionist.
Quiverfulls aren't philosophically dominionist, though many QF folks are also dominionist. Philosophically, QFs are personally providentialist, which can link/lead to national providentialism which can link/lead to dominionism.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 18, 2018

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

I'm stuck in Kansas for now, which a fundamentalist shithole. There are a lot of Quiverfull people here. I love when I see them with their 18 passenger vans at the VA, soaking up all the dependent pay.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
Duffelblog

quote:

Marines everywhere were saddened at the death of former Marine and committed POG Staff Sgt. R. Lee Ermey, who passed away earlier this week.

Ermey, a former supply clerk from Marine Wing Support Group 17 and winner of the coveted Meritorious Unit Award, served in the Marine Corps from 1961 to 1972 before starting a second career playing actual infantry Marines.

He had a long and distinguished career, from the Buy Me Drinky bars on Okinawa to the brothels of Manila, to his tour in Vietnam where he served in an elite REMF Wing Wiper unit guarding the chow hall at Da Nang Air Base.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That seems unusually harsh for duffelblog.

quote:

“We all know the real-life stories about real-life Marine heroes,” Neimeyer said. “But sometimes the fake Marine stories are just as important, whether it’s Jack Nicholson’s fake speech in A Few Good Men, Floyd Gibbons’ fake ‘Teufelhunden’ dispatches, or R. Lee Ermey’s fake Combat Action Ribbon.”

Neimeyer said Ermey’s performance will always stand head and shoulders above actual combat veteran entertainers who failed to cultivate eccentric personas based on fictional achievements, such as Audie Murphy, Dale Dye, Mel Brooks, Al Matthews, Don Adams, or even children’s songwriter Robert Sherman.
Staff Sgt. Ermey now moves on to what will presumably be his final duty station, the Streets of Heaven, where those who knew him expect he has probably already complained that he is not listed as a gunnery sergeant, asked Dan Daly, “do you know who I am?” and tried to impress Saint Peter with his tales of not-combat in Vietnam.

Staff Sgt. Ermey’s personal awards are the Good Conduct Medal, with stars in lieu of second and third awards. Gunnery Sgt. Hartman’s fictional awards include the fictional Silver Star, the fictional Purple Heart with a star in lieu of a fictional second award, and the fictional Good Conduct Medal with a star in lieu of a fictional second award.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Well they ain't wrong

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Reeks of jealousy. No enlisted man should try to shame another for shamming his way to undeserved fame and riches.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

You're thinking of the Quiverfull idiots. Their thing is to have as many kids as possible for Jesus.

we had one at work who was on her 20th, a full 15 years of their life spent pregnant

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

we had one at work who was on her 20th, a full 15 years of their life spent pregnant

Jesus

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
gently caress all that

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

mods change my name posted:

gently caress all that

those families? Yeah probably

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Fairly sure quiverfulls also put a focus on whites. Either that or it was an offshoot with the same general tenants but with added white supremacy.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Um.

The Texas Senate race is close. Quinnipiac has Ted Cruz up by only 3, inside the margin of error.

https://poll.qu.edu/texas/release-detail?ReleaseID=2536

Still way the gently caress early, but that's the first legitimate poll of the Texas Senate race that I've seen.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

hobbesmaster posted:

That seems unusually harsh for duffelblog.

Today I learned Don Adams served at Guadalcanal :stare:

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

I love that Mel Brooks blew up Nazi poo poo then made a comedy career of mocking them.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Today I learned Don Adams served at Guadalcanal :stare:

Lee Marvin was on Saipan with the 3/24 Marines and wounded twice, and Jimmy Stewart was a brigadier general in the Air Force.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I mean, I liked some of Ermey's roles, but he did always seem like a slightly more successful Vietnam Con-man Vet; you know the type.

Still, I can't hate on the dude because honestly gently caress dying in that jungle for no good reason.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

https://youtu.be/e8-sMJZTYf0

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

BigDave posted:

Lee Marvin was on Saipan with the 3/24 Marines and wounded twice, and Jimmy Stewart was a brigadier general in the Air Force.

Reportedly Jimmy Stewart really, really loved to drop bombs on the enemy

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Wasabi the J posted:

I mean, I liked some of Ermey's roles, but he did always seem like a slightly more successful Vietnam Con-man Vet; you know the type.

Still, I can't hate on the dude because honestly gently caress dying in that jungle for no good reason.

Yeah, pretty much.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

facialimpediment posted:

Um.

The Texas Senate race is close. Quinnipiac has Ted Cruz up by only 3, inside the margin of error.

https://poll.qu.edu/texas/release-detail?ReleaseID=2536

Still way the gently caress early, but that's the first legitimate poll of the Texas Senate race that I've seen.

Interesting, but isn't this still over 6 months out?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

:barf:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Slim Pickens posted:

Interesting, but isn't this still over 6 months out?

Yeah. But Cruz' opponent is popular and well funded, so it's conceivable that he may squeak out a win just like Lamb. All of the Proud Christian Moms of the thread will be happy to know that he's running to the left, too, despite being from Texas.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Well they ain't wrong

They’re not. The persona he created was so good. He ducking filmed himself yelling at privates while people threw stuff at him and didn’t repeat himself once in the ten minutes he ranted. He wasn’t cast for the part and was just a military advisor.

It’s a classic example of when the legend preceded the man, and you’re disappointed that he didn’t meet your glorified expectations.

They should have just done an obit on one of his characters tbh. It doesn’t come off to me as jealous

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

maffew buildings posted:

He flew as a observer on a Arc Light mission in '68. That's some dedication to blowing the gently caress out of stuff.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Steezo posted:

I love that Mel Brooks blew up Nazi poo poo then made a comedy career of mocking them.

The man has been fearless in both careers

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

He was a fun actor and a run of the mill Marine.

Does seem pretty harsh.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

maffew buildings posted:

February 1945. 18,000 feet over Hamburg, Germany.

"Bombadier to pilot, bombs away!"

"You're thinking of this all wrong. The bombs aren't here. The bombs are in Joesef's house...right next to Han's house. And in the Weiss house, and Mrs. Schultz's house, and a hundred others."

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

psydude posted:

Yeah. But Cruz' opponent is popular and well funded, so it's conceivable that he may squeak out a win just like Lamb. All of the Proud Christian Moms of the thread will be happy to know that he's running to the left, too, despite being from Texas.

its a weird race because no one actually likes Cruz, its just breaking people of immediately thinking of Hillary, Pelosi or Schumer whenever they hear 'Democrat'

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Maybe Ted Cruz will want to spend time with his family :shobon:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

man what did his poor family do to you?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

imagine that dude trying to kiss you. big we sloppy kisses.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
if David Dewhurst wasn't such a useless shitbag, we wouldn't even have Cruz. He was Texas's relatively popular Lt. Gov and was widely assumed he'd run for and win retiring Sen Hutchinson's seat. he Hillary'd the primary to Cruz and then because he looked like a weak idiot Dan Patrick primaried him from the right for his Lt Gov seat.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

In non-terrible news all three white nationalists that were plotting to blow up a mosque in Kansas have been found guilty.

http://www.kwch.com/content/breaking/Prosecutor-Informant-in-bomb-plot-saved-lives-480020603.html

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Ted Cruz losing his re-election would make 2018 a success.

Then if his wife leaves him next year and sinks him under alimony that would own.

gently caress that guy he deserves misery.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I mentioned this elsewhere but it's incredible just how hateable Ted Cruz really is. Like there's a dozen Republicans who've done more damage to the country and yet I hate ol' Zodiac Killer more than all of them. Even the loving Turtle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I don't think a Cruz defeat is likely, but a Republican incumbent Senator in Texas should be absolutely coasting right now and instead it's in the margin of error. Part of the reason is Trump's Texas approval is at like 43%. The national tightening in the generic congressional ballot polling isn't really showing up in the state polling right now.

Still, it won't happen, but these little moments of hope are kind of refreshing.

• Locked thread