Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Silenced guns are fun too. I was messing with a guy last night by plinking him with a silenced smg and then hiding. He found me soon enough, but only after I interrupted him harvesting resources 2 or 3 times.
Then I hid in one of those attics with the small triangle spaces and shot him in the foot until he died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Not really sure how it works but does anyone know what they do when they upgrade the seasons?!

Like will season 4 be something different?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Season 3 was when they implemented the 60fps for consoles and added in some other jazz; I've always thought of the new seasons as just 'big updates'

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

A Man and his dog posted:

Not really sure how it works but does anyone know what they do when they upgrade the seasons?!

Like will season 4 be something different?

If it's anything like the last 2 seasons the day season 3 ends season 4 will begin with a battle pass for it being available right away. Who knows what the next theme will be - maybe something beachy for summer?

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I just noticed that battle pass holders for season 3 will get the first 5 battle ranks free when they buy season 4.
I wonder if the goofy comet thing will happen to start season 4.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

PSA since I didn't know this either, you don't have to individually click to place buildings, you can just hold down the buttons. So if you are doing stairways just keep running up, if you are building 1x1s then just spin while holding it. It helps SO MUCH.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

DreamShipWrecked posted:

PSA since I didn't know this either, you don't have to individually click to place buildings, you can just hold down the buttons. So if you are doing stairways just keep running up, if you are building 1x1s then just spin while holding it. It helps SO MUCH.

DSA: distribute your building materials evenly among your squad-mates

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Nullsmack posted:

I just noticed that battle pass holders for season 3 will get the first 5 battle ranks free when they buy season 4.
I wonder if the goofy comet thing will happen to start season 4.

Somebody dug into the code and found bits that confirm this.

Edit: at least a limited mode called impact which should align with the season 4 release.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 17, 2018

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Johnny Truant posted:

Season 3 was when they implemented the 60fps for consoles and added in some other jazz; I've always thought of the new seasons as just 'big updates'

Moving to 60fps on the One X was a game changer for me. I play way better and it's easier to track bunny-hoppers.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Beastie posted:

Moving to 60fps on the One X was a game changer for me. I play way better and it's easier to track bunny-hoppers.

I was just talking with a friend about how it's a completely different game on console since they updated it.

Hmm next season still will start on a Thursday, right? I might shift with around so I can just fuckin ball on it all day, we'll see. I wonder if you don't get the John Wick challenges by the time the season ends they're just gone?

Fake edit: Did they introduce Lucky right at the beginning of S3?

Faker edit: also I just switched to the builder pro mode on console and holy poo poo. It's phenomenal, once you break your prior building habits.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I'm def the teammate that doesn't build for poo poo but will gladly give out my materials to the skilled builders.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

If it makes you feel better they just added this a few weeks ago.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Another supernoob advice is the mode (forgot how is called, is in setting) that let you override the enviroment so small objects don't block building. Is a no brainer.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Tei posted:

Another supernoob advice is the mode (forgot how is called, is in setting) that let you override the enviroment so small objects don't block building. Is a no brainer.

This is just a default I'm fairly sure...?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Tei posted:

I don't see a setting for this?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Yeah, turbo building allows you to build by holding fire key, with automatic material change and such. Shrub avoidance is the new default.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Hows Save the World these days? I played a game yesterday and it looks like sprinting doesn't cost energy anymore and materials and items stack a lot higher now, both quality of life changes that are pretty awesome. Have they done anything else pretty noticeable?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

BadLlama posted:

Hows Save the World these days? I played a game yesterday and it looks like sprinting doesn't cost energy anymore and materials and items stack a lot higher now, both quality of life changes that are pretty awesome. Have they done anything else pretty noticeable?

Basically everything is better, you get more of everything at all points, and it no longer freezes randomly.

Way more XP of every kind, more Vbucks, more materials from farming, etc.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Beastie posted:

Posts like this is why I feel sorry for everyone who's still saying "you don't need/notice more than 30 fps" like loving idiots. :v:

Microsoft is beta testing FreeSync as well. Personally I think GSync is the same huge difference as going from 60 Hz to 144Hz. And I imagine going from 30 to 60 feels the same, too.

Can't wait for the console market to finally adapt to some of the PC race's premium features, it'll help reduce the cost for PC as well I imagine.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

They seems to have a plan for Save the World and is to lure people to pay 40$ where they can get a slow drip of vbucks to buy BR skins. Is not a bad plan and all the QoL changes are wellcome but without level restrictions you can get the equivalent of a level 4 guy afk leeching in a destiny raid. They have yet to address the fundamental problem of save the world: is a coop game where being greedy and lazy pays off, while helping people is decrimental.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Tei posted:

They seems to have a plan for Save the World and is to lure people to pay 40$ where they can get a slow drip of vbucks to buy BR skins. Is not a bad plan and all the QoL changes are wellcome but without level restrictions you can get the equivalent of a level 4 guy afk leeching in a destiny raid. They have yet to address the fundamental problem of save the world: is a coop game where being greedy and lazy pays off, while helping people is decrimental.

Yup, one of the many reasons why I quit and refunded. I almost exclusively pug, and if I didn't pug, I'd team up with people I pugged with often. I easily pugged 1200 maps, and the amount of games I didn't have to carry 2-3 people, are in the double digits. Epic of course keeps posting "We're discussing how we'll address this" for 10 months straight. And people still thank them for posting that for the 998th time. :downs:

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
Any new players in this thread, please disregard the weapon tier write ups on the last page. Tbh nearly every weapon in BR is viable, it comes down to playstyle and preference more than anything. The only correct thing was that the minigun is trash.

SMGs:
Tac smg just melts dudes and is amazing in close to medium-close fights, but does require good mouse tracking like the lightning gun in Quake. In skilled hands it's one of the best guns in the game
Silenced smg is a decent alternative, it has better range and spread so you can use it better at distance and it excels at sneakily destroying traps and forts. Easy to get headshots with as well, but I still prefer the tac
Minigun is good at killing bases and bad players. In a squad, they can be used to great effect to surpress another team whole your friends flank their base, but it's not nearly as good in solos or duos. Tbh I never pick these up , but sometimes I embarrassingly die to one because I underestimate it's damage output at close range.

Pistols:
Handguns are decent first weapons if you can click heads, but basically outclassed damage wise by anything else.
Silenced pistols are great clean up weapons and with first hit accuracy, it's very easy to melt someone while they try and figure out where the shot came from. The silencer means you're less likely to bring trouble if you get the kill without rebuke as well. I often drop a blue AR for a silenced pistol.
Revolvers and Hand cannons are total beasts at range, and first hit accuracy probably benefited these guns the most. Learn to line up your shots, and you can wipe teams with smart building and flanking. Also great finishers/harassers

Shotguns:
The blue pump is the best gun in the game, but you do need to adjust your playstyle to it because of it's slow fire rate. It compliments a skilled and patient builder who can rush their opponent and remember to plop a wall down between shots while you're pumping. Headshots also required, but you can one tap most people with a blue. I will even take a green pump over a blue tac or purple heavy most the time, unless I'm having a bad aim day. If you follow your pump up with a quick swap to a tac smg or tac shotty, you've got one of the most potent combos in the game and it's worth learning.
Tac shottys Increased firerate means it's much easier to shoot down walls with, and is more forgiving when you miss a shot. You'll rarely one tap with them, but the second tap is quick. It's easy to get cocky with it, though, and I've seen plenty of good people die because all shotguns suffer from inconsistent damage and they got cocky. I still recommend smart building with any shotgun, always be peek shooting and don't over commit.
Heavy shotguns have increased range and a tight spread, and are best used while peeking over a ramp and ADS for best accuracy. The range can be pretty useful, but if I get into a hopping match I'd rather have either other shotgun or a tac smg personally due to preference. The smaller spread means you need more aim to hit during those fights.

Assault Rifles:
The basic ARs are the most versatile gun in the game. You can rapid fire to break ramps or melt people up close, or slow tap with first hit accuracy to headshot players at range. Damage falloff was a big nerf to all ARs, but are still great at keeping the pressure on even at long range.
Burst Rifles are headshot machines in the right hand, and a blue burst is one of the best guns in the game for both quickly killing players or forts. It takes more practice to use, but it can even do well in close jumping fights if your pump shotty didn't one tap someone and you don't have an alternative, as long as you're up close.
Scars are the end game rifle for most players, with good spread and damage. Semi auto, so they are just as versatile as the AR but with higher DPS. One of the best hitscan weapons for breaking a base as well.
Scoped ARs are hitscan when you ads with the scope, but they have a lower damage, clip, and rate of fire. A skilled player can harass a slow sniper, or headshot someone into Oblivion. I believe they don't have e damage fall off which means they're great at long ranges if you can tap that tiny head. I'm not into these, but I know people who are great with em.

Sniper weapons:
Bolt action sniper Rifles are some of the best guns in the game, but take practice to learn the drop, bullet speed, and fire rate. In medium range fights, they work great to complement your AR. You can quick scope a moving player and immediately pull out your AR to finish them. High skill, high reward weapons.
Hunting rifles are like the bolt actions, but they have a slight ads zoom rather than a full scope. They have a higher rate of fire than the scope, and it's this reason that I prefer them over a blue or often purple bolt. I'm not the best sniper, but I'm not awful so the hunting rifle is a great weapon since I can sling more bullets downrange without losing my peripheral, but they will actually do damage when they hit.
Semi-Auto snipers are better than nothing, but they're called the pea shooter for a reason. Low damage out put means you'll often be looking through your scope longer without any peripheral vision. I recommend any other sniper weapon over this, including...
Crossbows. Slow bolt travel, hard bullet drop, but a 5 round clip and infinite ammo (and silent). High skill, but a decent weapon if you bother to learn it. The damage isn't amazing, but at least it's quite and doesn't use up your heavy ammo, since you'll want that for when you find a bolt or hunting rifle.

Splodes:
Grenade launcher is one of the best guns in the game, but takes a little more finesse to use than the rocket launcher. Being able to rapidly destroy a base with its six round clip is amazing. Take the time to dial in the detonation range, and you can safely kill or flush out players with ease. You can also kill house camping players by firing in a window, or bounce grenades off a ramp to hit closer players. Just be aware for players rushing you while you're using it.
Rocket launcher is fairly straightforward. The gold one is especially potent with it's fast reload time, but all rockets travel slow so at range it's best used as a base buster. Rockets are also very loud, and it's easy to see where they're coming from so keep your head on a swivel. At close range, with a height advantage, they're extremely frightening to deal with. Also, you can ride your friends rocket.

I'm not gonna bother writing up thrown grenades, they're all fairly straight forward.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Seditiar posted:

Yup, one of the many reasons why I quit and refunded. I almost exclusively pug, and if I didn't pug, I'd team up with people I pugged with often. I easily pugged 1200 maps, and the amount of games I didn't have to carry 2-3 people, are in the double digits. Epic of course keeps posting "We're discussing how we'll address this" for 10 months straight. And people still thank them for posting that for the 998th time. :downs:

I almost always play with pugs and I rarely have trouble. I do almost always get top damage so I sort of feel like I put in more effort during combat, but just having warm bodies doing stuff makes it a lot less miserable than soloing anything. I haven't bothered refunding because I just got the founder's packs and I play enough that I feel they were worthwhile. I'm never spending money on vbucks, I already have too many weapons and heroes that I may never level up. I'm mostly playing to keep my daily quests clear lately, though. Still waiting for Canny Valley to have plot and stuff.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

When I play, I do camps and survivors so I dont contribute with my traps and hard earned mats to some guy levelling so he can afk in even higuer levels.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Rexxed posted:

I almost always play with pugs and I rarely have trouble. I do almost always get top damage so I sort of feel like I put in more effort during combat, but just having warm bodies doing stuff makes it a lot less miserable than soloing anything. I haven't bothered refunding because I just got the founder's packs and I play enough that I feel they were worthwhile. I'm never spending money on vbucks, I already have too many weapons and heroes that I may never level up. I'm mostly playing to keep my daily quests clear lately, though. Still waiting for Canny Valley to have plot and stuff.

Fortnite is incredibly easy still in Twine Peaks. And Plankerton is basically a glorified tutorial. I don't mean that in a harsh way, just saying that leeches/AFKers don't really matter in Stonewood/Plankerton. Not as much anyway. But it's just the principle of the thing, I shouldn't have to do 90% of the damage in the majority of my games. And that includes non-trap damage. In the time I clear 2-3 smashers solo, the other 3 are still plinking away at a single Smasher. Getting the stats from them does help, yes. But the majority of the time (I'd say easily 75%) you'll have 1 or 2 level 60 players in a 100 map. I get about 0.5PL from those, they get 1-shot etc. they're literally useless. One of the upsides of almost never having a full lobby via pugs though, they're not actually preventing anyone from joining. :v:

That all being said, I wouldn't have refunded either if I had bought 0 V-Bucks.

Edit: They do need to properly address this though, it's going to be so much worse with the next Fortnite discount, or worse: goes F2P.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I do the most or about half damage. I just run dragon ninja/UAH and refuse to do anything on the base except put the bare bones metal structure. Almost always people will upgrade the metal or put traps down.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

My comet theory:

In every game, after the minute 8, the comet will destroy tiled towers. So people can still jump in tiled towers, but have 8 minutes to go somewhere else.

Tei fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 18, 2018

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

When Gozer the Gozarian roams the earth, you have my permission to die.
Fun Shoe
I'm relatively new to playing this game but scored my first win last night after a couple weeks of play, I tend to either place 89th or in the top 10 every match but it was a hell of a rush to win and I almost felt bad about killing the guy because he was 100% clueless as to where I was, trying to take down my old base while I headshot him from 5ft behind.

My biggest obstacles right now are that my default grip (I play on Xbox) seems to consistently make me accidentally hit the bumpers in firefights, changing my weapon and usually causing me to die because I'm holding a bandage instead of an AR now. I've figured out a more claw-like grip that prevents this but just find it weird because I don't encounter this in other games. The other thing I'm horrible at compared to others is building speed, I watch PC streamers build a 5 story house in seconds but even knowing the buttons to switch between wall/stair/floor it's not so much building up a fortification as it is announcing to anyone within LoS that a very slow person would like to die.

One "pro-strat" that seems to work for me fairly well is always heading towards wherever the smallest gap is between the next circle, if I'm well equipped and in an area that I know won't be closing in around me I can spend more time surveying the area to hunt down the people who do have to run 1000 meters to reach the lip while I just have to move to the next tree. There's definitely people who spend much more time in the storm than I thought they would but it's fairly rare, at least on console.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Cultisto posted:

There's definitely people who spend much more time in the storm than I thought they would but it's fairly rare, at least on console.

Yeah it's a very situation-dependent strategy to stay in the storm more than you need to. I tend to only do it if I have at least a med pack, if I have 2 I'm pretty confident and have ran around in it plenty.

Especially if it's close to the end of the game, you can usually find wicked good loot out in the storm.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Cultisto posted:

The other thing I'm horrible at compared to others is building speed, I watch PC streamers build a 5 story house in seconds but even knowing the buttons to switch between wall/stair/floor it's not so much building up a fortification as it is announcing to anyone within LoS that a very slow person would like to die.

I still haven't gotten the hang of building stuff quickly but the Builder Pro controller layout they just added is way way better than the standard/combat pro for building stuff. Takes a bit of getting used to but having a dedicated button for each piece is so much better.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
There are definitely people not only falling farther than me (WAY farther) before their chute kicks out, but people who fall faster than me with their chute out. Is this a perk of some kind? I see if EVERY game.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Feenix posted:

There are definitely people not only falling farther than me (WAY farther) before their chute kicks out, but people who fall faster than me with their chute out. Is this a perk of some kind? I see if EVERY game.

Same in PUBG. It's most likely network related. Tickrates in every single BR game are abysmal so chances are the server is just adjusting their position.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I believe the chute auto-deploys based on the distance to the ground immediately below you, so I always try to keep a valley under me to get as low as possible before it deploys.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the mandatory chute deploy depends on the elevation where you're landing (i dunno how it works exactly, but it seems to be an average of the elevation in 10 or so meters of radius around your position). If you don't point yourself at the lowest position in an area, other players will fall farther before pulling chute and land quicker as a result. I do see slight variations on chute height when im dropping into crowded areas, but i think that's just because the ground is bumpy in a way that's hard to recognize from height, which introduces a semi-random element to it.

once parachute is out everybody falls at the same rate. no idea what you saw but if someone's above you and aiming at the same spot you are, you'll definitely be the first on the ground

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Thanks Guys, yeah I was aware of the elevation and forced chute, but I've seen (nearly every game, practically,) some variation of:

1) Deploys chute MUCH lower than me over the same elevation terrain.

2) Chute deployed BEFORE they are in my downward eyesight and they pass me WAY faster heading down.

Best guess is tick rates or latency or whatever, but it looks very much a thing (not all jumpy or laggy) and happens quite often.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I have heard people say you drop to the ground faster by using left/right strafe, it SEEMS to be the case to me as well, but I could be wrong.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Feenix posted:

Thanks Guys, yeah I was aware of the elevation and forced chute, but I've seen (nearly every game, practically,) some variation of:

1) Deploys chute MUCH lower than me over the same elevation terrain.

2) Chute deployed BEFORE they are in my downward eyesight and they pass me WAY faster heading down.

Best guess is tick rates or latency or whatever, but it looks very much a thing (not all jumpy or laggy) and happens quite often.

I’ve seen the same, including with someone deploying much higher than me, presumably forced. As others have said, the calculation of when to force open a shoot is probably just a wonky mechanism with inconsistent results

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Diving downwards with both sticks will cause you to free fall faster. I've seen plenty of streamers "wiggle" their character when the chute is deployed.

You definitely fall faster (with your chute) if you are moving forward, backward, left or right.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Left, Left, Right, Up, Down, Right - Repeat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

if some theories are to be believed, today is the last day of tilted towers