Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A bunch of shards of glass to the face? lovely present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

And now Bruce Wayne has to be inspired to become Booster Gold, causing a time loop.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I'm digging Chuck from Blackhawk's suit

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

I believe this is mightygodking comissioner and he has an actual write thing behind it that was pretty good but I am hosed if I am gonna find it now

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bunnyofdoom posted:

I believe this is mightygodking comissioner and he has an actual write thing behind it that was pretty good but I am hosed if I am gonna find it now

http://mightygodking.com/2012/08/21/the-next-iteration/

This is the one with Mr. T: http://comicsalliance.com/top-shelf-announces-league-of-extraordinary-gentlemen-1988/

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Nonvalueadded User posted:

Thought experiment: assume that half of Batman Begins wasn’t cribbed from Batman: Year One so the trappings of the story aren’t in the public conscious. Could a mass market Batman movie be made following the basic story of Year One? It’s an origin story but not an origin per se. Or would that fit into the dramatic + iconic mix discussed earlier?

purple death ray posted:

Year One is a fantastic story and would make a great movie, but it's not because of the Batman origin story it tells, it's the Jim Gordon story it tells. It's not actually a Batman story despite his name on the cover.

For 0.2 of a second before it debuted I thought maybe there was the slightest chance that the TV show Gotham would turn out to be this.

Boy was I wrong :cripes:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
KITT IS NOT A PERSON

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Push El Burrito posted:

KITT IS NOT A PERSON

uh, the intro of the show says HE IS A MAN THAT DOES NOT EXIST

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mister Miracle #8

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
So I'm not weird for seeing some heavy subtext about Batman's sidekicks, right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Mister Miracle #8

Mr. Miracle has a point.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Beware the Batmohel

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The only Nancy strip I've ever seen was the Circus Is In Town one but the comic got a new writer and she's knocking it out of the park

http://www.gocomics.com/nancy

But by far the best part is the butthurt comments that the comic is now ruined

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Teenage Fansub posted:

Mister Miracle #8

Well Batman did defeat the Lump in Final Crisis.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

good day for a bris posted:

Well Batman did defeat the Lump in Final Crisis.
Oh god I can't believe I didn't make that connection until you said that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Samuringa posted:

The only Nancy strip I've ever seen was the Circus Is In Town one but the comic got a new writer and she's knocking it out of the park

The cornbread line has me chuckling every time I remember it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Samuringa posted:

Holy poo poo, these are great

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well that's amazing, who'd have thought Nancy could be salvaged.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Are 70% of them about phones or just those picks?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Those are the only ones that exist so far. I think it's just establishing a clean break from the prior cartoonist's work.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Didn't the prior cartoonist draw Nancy's mom as a realistic hot babe?

Gummy Joe
Aug 16, 2007

Well, I wouldn't have Ol' Chomper here, that's for sure!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I'm digging Chuck from Blackhawk's suit

Mark Waid took a rightful dig at that (and the rest of the Junk-Heap Heroes) in "Justice League: Year One":

(JLA: Year One #8)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Lurdiak posted:

Didn't the prior cartoonist draw Nancy's aunt's tits as a realistic hot babe?
I mean, to the best of his ability sure.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

I mean, to the best of his ability sure.

That looks like characters from two entirely different cartoons.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

keep in mind that's from 2007. by this year they'd become hydrocelaphic

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Gummy Joe posted:

Mark Waid took a rightful dig at that (and the rest of the Junk-Heap Heroes) in "Justice League: Year One":

(JLA: Year One #8)

My favourite part of that is the background to the costume change.

Basically a robot ina trench coat shows up to kick the Blackhawks asses. And at the end it is revealed that some good spy organisation built the robot to teach the Blackhawks a lesson, that flying fighter planes is not enough to save the world in the 1960's. And Batman calls them all a bunch of losers who need to git gud.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Apr 19, 2018

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

That looks like characters from two entirely different cartoons.

The lady looks like she was drawn by that artist who did that old Menage A 3 comic strip (which will always be "Anime Archie" to me)

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Those new Nancies are excellent and seem much more in the spirit of the original strip. The subject matter is different, but the style of humour is a lot closer than Gilchrist's was.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Tales of the Unexpected 16

Hulk 3

Journey into Mystery 83

Jack Kirby can only draw one hammer.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Look we all get one choice in life before we are born: We can be able to draw a variety of hammers, or we can be really good at drawing mind-blowing cosmic entities straddling dimensions while booming out theatrically over-the-top dialogue.

Jack Kirby chose wisely, the rest of us did not.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jerusalem posted:

Look we all get one choice in life before we are born: We can be able to draw a variety of hammers, or we can be really good at drawing mind-blowing cosmic entities straddling dimensions while booming out theatrically over-the-top dialogue.

Jack Kirby chose wisely, the rest of us did not.

Also, that's a sweet hammer. It's not like there are better hammers to draw. Because that one rocks.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Didn't the prior cartoonist draw Nancy's mom as a realistic hot babe?

Well, to be fair, Aunt Fritzi was always drawn as sexy, going back to the 1920s -- it wasn't until later that Nancy took over and the strip changed from "adventures of a hot babe" to "adventures of a funny kid and her aunt (who is also a hot babe)." Still, I don't think anyone other than a few Gocomics commenters is going to miss Gilchrist's leering attention to Fritzi's knockers.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
My first exposure to that ear suit was as one of the absurdly many obscure background references Alex Ross put into Kingdom Come. It's on display at Planet Krypton alongside such other memorabilia as 'Mazing Man's helmet and uh, Jonah Hex's taxadermy corpse, which is in more comic issues than you'd expect.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, Aunt Fritzi has always been drawn way more realistically than Nancy.

Incidentally, this is like the exact opposite of a Gilchrist Nancy. Gilchrist's biggest change was turning Phil Fumble from

to

(Sorry about the dude there, best pic I could find)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Selachian posted:

Well, to be fair, Aunt Fritzi was always drawn as sexy, going back to the 1920s -- it wasn't until later that Nancy took over and the strip changed from "adventures of a hot babe" to "adventures of a funny kid and her aunt (who is also a hot babe)." Still, I don't think anyone other than a few Gocomics commenters is going to miss Gilchrist's leering attention to Fritzi's knockers.

One of the commenters seems to think the main virtue of the previous version of the strip was "triggering the PC crowd", which makes me wonder if words mean anything anymore.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

One of the commenters seems to think the main virtue of the previous version of the strip was "triggering the PC crowd", which makes me wonder if words mean anything anymore.
I want to know who in what that commenter considered the "PC crowd" he thought was even reading the strip in the first place to be annoyed by it, since I doubt they're aware of the newspaper comic thread here in BSS.

But not enough to go interact with him in any way.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
"PC Crowd"

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Man I love old Nancy. I didn't know it had gotten bad but it's cool that it's good again now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Gilchrist's Nancy was pretty clearly targeted at right-wing baby boomers. He has a ton of Christian imagery in the strip, Sluggo's uncles were made into Vietnam veterans, and he would regularly have strips about TV shows and music from the 60s that no one Nancy's age would have ever heard of, much less cared about (often having Fritzi wearing a band t-shirt). The heavy Christian influence, in particular, is the sort of thing that market assumes younger left-wing "snowflakes" get upset about since "hey Islam and Judaism and Buddhism and Hinduism are all as equally valid as Christianity and none should have a place in politics" is too much nuance and they just think THOSE STUPID KIDS HATE CHRISITIANS or whatever. It's definitely not unique to Nancy commenters.

And then Gilchrist turned out to be a rapist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Zereth posted:

I want to know who in what that commenter considered the "PC crowd" he thought was even reading the strip in the first place to be annoyed by it, since I doubt they're aware of the newspaper comic thread here in BSS.

But not enough to go interact with him in any way.

That commenter made leering comments about Fritzi, too. Gilchrist is a pretty infamous right-wing crank and perv, and so people speculated that that commenter IS Gilchrist. I suspect that his departure from the strip wasn't his choice, but wh

Endless Mike posted:

And then Gilchrist turned out to be a rapist.

Ah.