Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

kastein posted:

I'm confused how the weight of valve stems is relevant to anything, but that's bullshit behavior on their part regardless.

Less about weight, more about durability. They're drat near indestructible. Long-term savings if you're burning through a lot of tires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Ahhh, makes sense. I just buy tr412s on Amazon in bulk, but they don't look as nice, either.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Beach Bum posted:

One time I took my race wheels in. They had 949 aluminum stems.

They trashed my loving stems and had the audacity to not only charge me for the generic rubber stems but deny any wrongdoing and reimbursement. I had to demand access to the shop floor and dig through the garbage next to the mounting machine to find one of them before they caved. Consequently, I had raised such a ruckus that they not only comped the entire process, but told me my business, so far as it pertained to bringing in my own wheels and tires for mounting, was no longer welcome. Good riddance, pricks, I wasn't planning to let you chimps monkey-gently caress my poo poo again anyway.

I ended up getting corporate to pay for my new stems.

God I hate tire shops with a passion. I swear if I had the space i would buy a used tire machine and balancer just so I didn't have to deal with those idiots.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

God I hate tire shops with a passion. I swear if I had the space i would buy a used tire machine and balancer just so I didn't have to deal with those idiots.

It's amazing how such a necessary thing has become such a horror. Kind of like buying a new car, in that way.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I bought a mounter and balancer and never looked back. Totally worth it to not have to deal with people.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Slow is Fast posted:

I bought a mounter and balancer and never looked back. Totally worth it to not have to deal with people.

Except all the people who show up to use it :v:

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Slow is Fast posted:

Harbor Freight?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

daslog posted:

Harbor Freight?

That's more my price range, Dan went all "buy new real tools for real money and don't have to fix your busted poo poo a half dozen times before it's reliable" instead of the janky Craigslist route I took :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I was spoiled when I worked for a friend that had his own shop, going from having an available mounter/balancer to having to go to a tire shop sucks rear end. I went to the cheapest place I could find to mount the tires on my xB and of course the balancing job they did was poo poo so now I gotta pay to have that re done the right way. Should have just went to the expensive alignment shop to begin with because at least they take pride in their work and I wouldn't have to have it done again, lesson learned.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
Tire machines are definitely on my list for my next house, along with a 4 post with the lift jacks in the middle and the wheels so I can move it to the side for vehicle storage when I don't need it for mechanical work.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I really don't get how you can gently caress up balancing with a digital machine, I remember doing a job placement at 16 at a tyre shop and balancing wheels all day with no issues.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

cakesmith handyman posted:

I really don't get how you can gently caress up balancing with a digital machine, I remember doing a job placement at 16 at a tyre shop and balancing wheels all day with no issues.
That right there is why I don't trust tire shops.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Sometimes the machines go bad and tell you to keep adding weight on opposite sides. And if you've got a mouth breather on the ticket they'll just nod and keep on doing it till you've got 5 pounds of sticky weights on there.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Crotch Fruit posted:

That right there is why I don't trust tire shops.

Ha, never thought of it like that.

E: I wonder how many I hosed up...

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 18, 2018

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Enourmo posted:

Sometimes the machines go bad and tell you to keep adding weight on opposite sides. And if you've got a mouth breather on the ticket they'll just nod and keep on doing it till you've got 5 pounds of sticky weights on there.

Yep. I've seen really oddly worn tires and tires with a busted belt or something just keep requesting weight in random spots, too. I could hit go 3 times in a row on my MJs spare tire and it would give me a different weight and place to put it every single time, without ever actually adding weights or moving it on the machine.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

kastein posted:

Conduit goes directly over the lift posts. It reduces headroom a bit but I wasn't running it another 20 feet to avoid that.

Random, but is it the white balance, or are two of those square fixtures high pressure sodium?

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Enourmo posted:

Or the wheel didn't seat straight on the machine. If I get a wheel doing that, I usually put it to the side and do the next one, come back and gently caress with it later. Usually the next time it sits straight on the machine and no problem.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah, I'm careful to wiggle the wheel as I tighten it so it can sorta self level and center better.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Well there's no going back now on the hybrid Dana 70/60 build. I picked up a chinesium portaband at harbor freight and... Whoops

Holy loving poo poo that was a lot of metal to cut through. It cut well though somewhat slowly. It also made a terrible burning electrical smell that I thought was gear oil burning until I stopped and smoke poured out of the portaband cooling vents. Oh well I kept the receipt for a reason :haw:

Worth noting, that's not super thick tube. The knuckles turn out to be a forged piece that slots inside the axle tube and is welded to it at the end, not the tube being swaged down and pressed+welded into the knuckle balls like I thought.

I also dragged the Honcho around the front of the hangar. As soon as I have the axle assembled and the trans rebuilt I can start the swap! :woop:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Enourmo posted:

A lot of it has to do with tire brands too, I remember Goodyear tires being a PITA to balance and other brands like Kumho and Yokohama barely took any weight at all. Sometimes if you had a lovely enough tire the machine would never agree, like what kastein said basically, but when that happens with a brand new tire you know it's garbage that's why I won't buy Goodyear tires.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
The blade that comes with the portaband is hot garbage. throw it away and get some milwaukee or morse brand blades. you wont regret it

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It actually cut drat well for what it was, I was pleasantly surprised. I expected it to have no teeth left by the time it made it through.

I bought a couple spares there so I'll probably run through​them before I buy anything new, but I'll definitely keep that in mind - every Morse blade I've ever used has been great and I love the Milwaukee ice hardened sawzall blades.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

A good blade in a lovely tool works a lot better than you would think.

See also: my Princess Auto router I bought for :20bux:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Tore my nv4500 for the J10 Honcho build down last night. It needs an output shaft as well as the other parts I knew it needed. A friend says he might have one but hasn't gotten back to me, might just buy brand new for 180 bucks. After that I just have to clean all the parts, disassemble the mainshaft assembly, clean all those parts too and reassemble. Then I can bolt it to the LQ4, put the oil pan back on, and I think I'm ready to drop the drivetrain into the truck... Or at least the engine and trans. Doubler is next after that.

Materials are on the way for the d70 build too... I broke my slide hammer in half trying to pull the remains of the inner knuckle forgings out of the axle tubes, so I'm going to devise a simple puller to yank them out this time.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
My takeaway is that you broke a hammer. I know that's not accurate, but drat kastein. You broke a hammer.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

That happens regularly, the handles come off sometimes.

This one was annoying though. It's a half inch steel shank with 1/2-20 threads on the end and was only being loaded in tension and somehow I managed to rip the end right off. I don't know how. It was bought used, so I guess the previous owner could have metal fatigued it a bit using it wrong.

I bought a piece of steel pipe and some rod and flat stock to build a threaded puller with - I'll be damned if this happens again, even if it means I have to use a 7/8 bolt and a big freaking wrench to draw it out.

Also just picked up my ubolts to mount the axle with, and the bolts that go into the differential casting on the passenger side to hold one side of the leaf plate down are allegedly on the truck for delivery today. Who the hell uses 9/16 bolts for anything? Most people seem to jump right from half inch to 5/8.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

This pile is now my longest-lived vehicle.

It's been unregistered since 2013 but I reregistered it a few weeks ago and ran the NY Adirondacks Gambler 500 with it weekend before last. 250 mile drive up, 250ish miles on dirt including some mild wheeling trails (was only able to run one day due to work schedule) then 250 miles back down. The only repairs I bothered to do were putting a new TPS on (old one was dead due to sitting for 5 years, 3 of them with no hood), new battery, new winch solenoid, and swapping another set of tires on.

It's really really rotten at this point. Really really rotten. I don't know how or why the frame didn't break under the bed last weekend.

Sadly it's a lot closer to the end of the road than it is to the start. It's simply not worth fixing this thing up. The floors are almost completely gone, there are six huge holes in the frame including ones that have stress cracks off the sides, it breaks windshields within days or weeks, the driver door is falling off, the bed is tattered and beat, the cab is so beat up and rotten and floppy that the non movable rear cab windows slowly inch their way toward the middle...

But I own two other MJs so one of them will get all the good parts off it eventually.

Right before leaving... that's about as clean as it gets.

The crew I was running with. Ran most of the day at high speed on regular dirt roads with the '65 Bel Aire, then finished the day by doing all the four-wheeling trails w/ the YJ.

Door is literally falling off. I'd weld it back on but there's no point. It doesn't matter.

Rest of the album: https://imgur.com/a/JIEBMSl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns6SqMx4obo
sadly no one caught the fun part of the trails, just the silly water crossing. Hopefully my dashcam has something interesting on it.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Hey when you do Theseus that guy send me the driver rear fender. It's the only one my shortbed's missing.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

Adiabatic posted:

Hey when you do Theseus that guy send me the driver rear fender. It's the only one my shortbed's missing.

The fender flare should be in all the parts i gave you. 3 pieces. Plastic outer and 2 metal brackets youll need to drill for new studs

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Hey nevermind apparently I have one.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Mine are ragged as gently caress and "custom clearanced" by my 33s, so I'm glad you've got one already.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

A wild transmission appears

Oh gently caress it exploded

Going back together. I had to pull all the parts off the mainshaft because the mainshaft snout where it goes into the input shaft pocket bearing looked like hammered poo poo AND the mainshaft splines to the transfer case input were badly worn down from torsional vibration from the 6.5TD paintshaker it was behind. And the input shaft was hosed too from a bad pilot bearing so... Yeah it's getting most of a rebuild. Synchros were mostly shot too. All new bearings, all new middle synchro cones (the nv4500 has inner and outer smooth metal cones with a double faced carbon fiber synchro friction cone in between that actuates the gear), all new seals, new input shaft and mainshaft. It's costing far more than I wanted it to, but at least I'll know it's good to go for a long time.

I had to call it quits at that point since I didn't have a big enough set of lockring pliers to reinstall that gigantic lockring that holds the reverse gear synchro clutch onto the mainshaft, but first, second, and third are fully assembled on the mainshaft. Next I need to assemble reverse, then clean the housing out, press new bearings on the input shaft, mainshaft assembly, and countershaft, install them in the case and get fifth gear and the top cover back together. Then it's done and back to d70 building...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Gigantic lockring pliers arrived so I finished assembling the mainshaft, input shaft, and countershaft as far as I can before putting them in the case last night. The case has to be cleaned out next.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
Out of curiosity how many AC-15s have you gone through? Mine doesn't seem to like me so much since I drove through West Texas at 85mph for hours on end. I normally don't drive that fast, but the people I was with did. It's a but hesitant about shifting into fourth now.

I've done an automatic before and will probably do another auto soon, but I've never attempted a manual before.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Hmmmmm. Good question.
I put a 96 AX15 in my 91 MJ. I broke the bellhousing in half. The synchros were a little sticky but it worked, I still have it.
Put another 90s AX15 in it. It's still in there.
Put a 98 Dakota AX15 in my 98 XJ. Broke the bellhousing in half. Put a 96 AX15 in it. Broke the bellhousing in half. Cut the Jeep up.

I've got a handful of others around I bought on a whim because they were cheap and I knew I could make money on them if I had to offload them.

Never actually blew one up. They're not complicated beasts though. There's a walkthrough of a partial rebuild on one sometime around early to mid 2014 in this thread if you need info, and feel free to ask questions.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I have been half rear end working on cleaning the case for my nv4500 out for a while now. It's almost done.

Another thing - 4th on your trans is acting up how exactly? It is a direct gear, so if the pocket bearing is worn or the synchro is shagged out it might give you engagement issues but it should work fine once it's in gear.

Been half rear end working on the d70/60, too. Where did I leave off? I think I had just cut the closed knuckles off, leaving chunks of them still press fit into turned sockets in the ends of the axle tubes. I broke my slide hammer in half trying to pull them out, so I ordered materials to fabricobble a custom choocher puller outer to surpass metal gear.
Given:
1 foot of 3" schd40 steel pipe
8in 5/8 grade 8 bolt
A buttload of 5/8 grade 8 washers
A 5/8 grade 8 nut
2 feet of 1.5x0.5 steel bar
And a random chunk of steel 4x4x0.5ish off the "I hosed up with the CNC mill" scrap pile

Extract a 3in OD piece of tube from a 3in ID piece of tube it's pressed into.

GO

Well that's not gone well. At least the bolt didn't break?

Retried with the random scrap stuck under the bent cross bar. This time after an hour or so of cranking on the wrench, wanging the gently caress out of the axle tube with a hammer to shock the inner tube loose, and cranking on the wrench again, it came out.
m

And from the other end

Axle tube end cleared out

Better idea of how the puller is set up inside. You just tighten the bolt.

Greasing the bolt threads works great. Wish I'd done so from the beginning.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Got the other tube slug out last night. Same procedure as last post.

Hooked up the outlets I've been wiring on and off, so fewer extension cords all over the place now.

Also made some more alignment pucks for the axle project. One day when I've got time for a whole day out there I'll finish the trans build.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Hi Ken, long time, no Jeep. I hadn't worked on a car since my XJ got wrecked about five years ago. Caught up on this thread in recent months and it motivated me to jump straight into some repairs I haven't done before, and work my rear end off to finish them. Now I'm thinking about finding an MJ or XJ or another truck as a beater/project.

Your projects are great and the way you present them is fun to read, so I wanted to say thanks for sharing.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Try as I might I can't remember where I know you from, though I remember the username. Glad you enjoyed reading my often-fruitless ramblings :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Probably from *gulp* the bachelor thread (RIP)