Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I'm still poor but I've only been eating out on dates. Good for you, Jizz Denouement, baby steps :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
I just went from being a doctoral student in an academic research lab to a (relatively) highly compensated data scientist in a corporate environment. Despite the floor I work on having > 60 employees, the enormous break room fridge is nearly empty everyday. The break room is itself quite empty around lunch time. People here eat out every single day.

But I'm still living like a grad student. It owns.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I didn't have time to bring lunch today so I bought lunch. Two steps out the door of the place I bought lunch at a bird poo poo on my head. I shouldn't have bought lunch today.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Medical clinic offered me the option of waiting until June for a test, or pay $250 to get it done privately tomorrow.

Welp. Hope my health is worth $250.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

Medical clinic offered me the option of waiting until June for a test, or pay $250 to get it done privately tomorrow.

Welp. Hope my health is worth $250.

Hope everything is ok with you! Good luck!

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
Had a quick question that I don't think required a new thread.

My wife moved here from Korea last year and we'll be going back to visit shortly. Once there, she wants to empty out the money in her Korean bank account and bring it over so we can use it for our downpayment on a house.
The total amount would probably be around $20-30K and was wondering what's the best way to go about bringing and getting it documented properly so there aren't any issues when we start meeting with lenders for a loan.

Could we just bring that with us (in USD) and declare it at customs at the airport before dumping it into our bank account here? Will that be enough of a paper trail?
Or is transferring it from her bank in Korea to our bank here (BofA) a better option? That option seems to have more fees and whatnot but if it's less of a hassle when it comes to the loan, that's an option we're good with as well.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

hmmxkrazee posted:

My wife moved here from Korea last year and we'll be going back to visit shortly. Once there, she wants to empty out the money in her Korean bank account and bring it over so we can use it for our downpayment on a house.
The total amount would probably be around $20-30K and was wondering what's the best way to go about bringing and getting it documented properly so there aren't any issues when we start meeting with lenders for a loan.

Could we just bring that with us (in USD) and declare it at customs at the airport before dumping it into our bank account here? Will that be enough of a paper trail?
Or is transferring it from her bank in Korea to our bank here (BofA) a better option? That option seems to have more fees and whatnot but if it's less of a hassle when it comes to the loan, that's an option we're good with as well.

Wire transfer. Seriously. Pay the $100-250 to wire it and you don't have to risk the bullshit at the border, including civil forfeiture.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

Wire transfer. Seriously. Pay the $100-250 to wire it and you don't have to risk the bullshit at the border, including civil forfeiture.

Wow, is this the one and only circumstance where wire transfer is actually the right answer?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Sundae posted:

Wow, is this the one and only circumstance where wire transfer is actually the right answer?

Nah, most legit large business to business transactions are done by wire.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

hmmxkrazee posted:

Buy a bitcoin, and sell it for USD in the US.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

H110Hawk posted:

As someone who is an AML investigator for a west coast bank serving high-wealth pac rim clients this is the correct way to do it.

As a safeguard, speak about this with someone in the branch and make sure you are explaining the general source of funds (i.e. savings, sale of a house in Korea, inheritance) as well as your intended plans (down payment on a new house, savings, etc) going forward. You don't need to be exquisitely detailed but there's a good possibility that the bank is going to look at this wire if it's uncharacteristically large or being sent to a new account. Keep a year of statements from the Korean account as well, you probably won't need it for someone like me but I assume you'll want it for the underwriters wherever you look for a loan.

AML-wise, we want to make sure you aren't moving dubiously-sourced funds in a questionable manner. Move it all at once and document as best you can where it came from. It's altogether unlikely they'll even ask questions but you absolutely want to be prepared if they do because you don't want them to be reporting you to the treasury for possible money laundering. Speaking with the bank will help document that you intend to use the funds for an eventual down payment so that if you find something good right away they won't be left in the dark about this outgoing flow of overseas-sourced, recently-obtained funds for a real estate purchase. Your situation is absolutely not abnormal for any large institution but that's assuming they have the context for the flow of funds and don't just see korea->your bank->escrow because that's a common laundering methodology even if you aren't buying on a cash basis.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sundae posted:

Or if you 100% want to guarantee that funds aren't sitting in ACH limbo, or to get above ACH limits, gently caress checks, double gently caress cashiers checks, etc. I used a wire to fund my house because they are free for my account and I can get instantaneous updates on where they are going. If you coordinate everything on both sides you can have fully cleared money to someone in under an hour.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Or if you 100% want to guarantee that funds aren't sitting in ACH limbo, or to get above ACH limits, gently caress checks, double gently caress cashiers checks, etc. I used a wire to fund my house because they are free for my account and I can get instantaneous updates on where they are going. If you coordinate everything on both sides you can have fully cleared money to someone in under an hour.

Yeah, I don't understand the wire hate that seems to come up whenever wires are mentioned. I mean, I get it - we all hate bank fees. But there still isn't another reasonable option for large transfers, especially over distance/between countries.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
Thanks for the replies everyone!
Wire it is!

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Motronic posted:

Yeah, I don't understand the wire hate that seems to come up whenever wires are mentioned. I mean, I get it - we all hate bank fees. But there still isn't another reasonable option for large transfers, especially over distance/between countries.

But that is for stupid reasons in 2017. The name of the service literally comes from telegrams and it used to be done through the Federal Reserve via telegrams. You have to pay the bank $35 for the equivalent of an email agreeing to settle funds between two banks. For reference the actual fee charged to the bank is pennies.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
yeah i mean a lot of the time people pay for what a good or service is worth rather than what it costs

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

But that is for stupid reasons in 2017. The name of the service literally comes from telegrams and it used to be done through the Federal Reserve via telegrams. You have to pay the bank $35 for the equivalent of an email agreeing to settle funds between two banks. For reference the actual fee charged to the bank is pennies.

Wires are like the overnighted cashier's check to an ACH's personal check via mail in terms of speed and verified funds, and they are about as close to "drop everything to process this now now now" as you can get with a financial institution in terms of service. Usually it's gotta be processed within 30-60 minutes if the client makes the request before the business day cutoff. That's gonna be worth the fee given how many people are spending time on your wire.

An ACH works similarly domestically but there's none of that urgency and it's more automated.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

FAUXTON posted:

Wires are like the overnighted cashier's check to an ACH's personal check via mail in terms of speed and verified funds, and they are about as close to "drop everything to process this now now now" as you can get with a financial institution in terms of service. Usually it's gotta be processed within 30-60 minutes if the client makes the request before the business day cutoff. That's gonna be worth the fee given how many people are spending time on your wire.

An ACH works similarly domestically but there's none of that urgency and it's more automated.

You know the UK system is more or less completely instant. Not sure for $30K but pretty sweet for less money. The US system is about to be *Only* one day soon, kind of a joke but better.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I've got a checking account with Wells Fargo, and with Chase, and in tyool 2018 the fastest way for me to move money from one to the other is

Write a paper check to myself and take a picture of it with my cellphone

The future is dumb

Jan 11, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I've got a checking account with Wells Fargo, and with Chase, and in tyool 2018 the fastest way for me to move money from one to the other is

Write a paper check to myself and take a picture of it with my cellphone

The future is dumb

I do this all the time lmao, same deal with my loving brokerage account. If you do it through ACH there is a 1 to 2 business day delay for everything. If you do it with a mobile check deposit at least some of the funds are instantly available

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
$800 windfall received today. Throwing directly into emergency fund to get balance to $4k for first time in a long long time. Little steps, long way to go.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

zaurg posted:

$800 windfall received today. Throwing directly into emergency fund to get balance to $4k for first time in a long long time. Little steps, long way to go.
Congrats. Did you sell your shitcoins yet?

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

DJCobol posted:

Congrats. Did you sell your shitcoins yet?

I've sold 11 of them! Progress! Fingers crossed the withdrawal from Coinbase goes well and quick.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

So you actually sold them for USD? You didn’t just exchange them back to BTC and hodl?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

zaurg posted:

I am not home back in my similar case (and you know the bag into my car and I could get a new car for the home. I still used to cover just making $350 to buy a second shower day but I deserve to start thinking about $230 (probably are the post (1 months and then you're not buying a check money" but the insurance for something maybe you can go one of the stack to her for a couple months. Don't do this is a budget and I didn't have a bill in the value would be on a couple category and the lowest card (that was the coins and sure it's a day but have the rest of the account to be a bad account, this is a classified my months and they are sure they would be a couple isn't stopping any person and I pay my time to shoot the amount for a week poo poo $100 and continue account to her post-maternity both little of the course of payments (or and pay it (estimate to make them to do that some amount of stuff and said all the bots of them off to take that before, then she doesn't think we're seem on the point and so I have a tracking at the cards which is that way to get a bill and posted a reason they have to spend it back to buy a lot of the time of this service)

Service 100% (for the stuff (at the way of what I have to start started from the look at 34 years ago)

I got a lot of the wife as my own that way in the consisted. I am more money with the poo poo down to build that a problem in the made a sub fee income and rear investment. We have a pregnancy did them with the loans are not making money to be able to be able to have a amount of the minimum because I have to get a couple months.

Sell your shitcoins

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

So you actually sold them for USD? You didn’t just exchange them back to BTC and hodl?

Correct! Per Coinbase "$1200 will arrive in your bank account by April 24, 2018." :ohdear:

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

zaurg posted:

Correct! Per Coinbase "$1200 will arrive in your bank account by April 24, 2018." :ohdear:

I can’t believe I’m saying this but...good job Zaurg?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Higgy posted:

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
That's like, so many pizzas.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Finally posting instead of lurking, so forgive the navelgazing.

We're 4 payments away from paying off the mortgage -- well ahead of original schedule -- and there's this weird "what next" anxiety creeping into my brain that I can't get rid of.

I mean, I do know what to do next: plow the newly freed cash flow into retirement accounts beyond what we're doing now, not so that we can retire at 50 but so that we can retire at some point. Continue the get-spending-under-control effort. Lean into the FIRE mindset, if not the extremes of it. Get off my rear end and finally see if a side gig is doable.

Anyway. Mrs. Trabant and I have a slightly-complex tax situation so getting a CPA's advice is going to be my next step. But this wonderful light at the end of the tunnel is producing the strangest feeling and I didn't expect it at all. I guess it didn't feel real until I realized we'll be mortgage-free by my next birthday.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Trabant posted:

We're 4 payments away from paying off the mortgage -- well ahead of original schedule

:toot:

Trabant posted:

I mean, I do know what to do next: plow the newly freed cash flow into retirement accounts beyond what we're doing now, not so that we can retire at 50 but so that we can retire at some point. Continue the get-spending-under-control effort. Lean into the FIRE mindset, if not the extremes of it. Get off my rear end and finally see if a side gig is doable.

Anyway. Mrs. Trabant and I have a slightly-complex tax situation so getting a CPA's advice is going to be my next step. But this wonderful light at the end of the tunnel is producing the strangest feeling and I didn't expect it at all. I guess it didn't feel real until I realized we'll be mortgage-free by my next birthday.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2892928

Have you been plowing money into your mortgage in lieu of tax advantaged retirement accounts? If so uh, oops. Ages, salary, intended retirement age, etc. Don't go all /r/frugal+/r/financialindependence those people are insane. Do you have a budget? While you get your wits about you, put money into something like the CapitalOne360 Money Market account is a decent way to earn a few dollars in interest.

Jan 11, 2004
Totally agreed, if you were making extra payments on your mortgage and had available tax-advantaged account space that went unused, that was probably a significant long-term tax and investment blunder.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Nope, the extra principal repayment came from my sister paying back what I loaned her a long while back (down payment for her own home). I wasn't expecting her to do that so quickly, but I'm not complaining!

But agreed, extra payments would've been a big error given the bonkers returns of the last few years.

Otherwise, yes, I'm basically maxing out what I can: 401k, IRA, HSA. I think the extra money will probably become after-tax contributions which my employer started allowing this year. I think the annual max there is something like $55k and can be converted into a Roth immediately after the paycheck contribution is made, so I'd only be on the hook for whatever taxable gains I realize in 24 hours (or however long it takes Fidelity to get the transaction through).

edit: $55k is the limit for total contributions by employer and me, $29k for just my after-tax dollars.

Trabant fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 24, 2018

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

Higgy posted:

Thank you! I got the $1200 today! Now what to do with it. Efund or Loan. Hmm

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

zaurg posted:

Thank you! I got the $1200 today! Now what to do with it. Efund or Loan. Hmm

Maybe you could use it to pre-pay for 9 days of college for one of your two kids

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
Thanks to two windfalls I was able to put $2509 towards my emergency fund this month to bring balance to $5200.

Stressing out a bit though because I have two things that are threatening to jeopardize my targets for a fully funded emergency savings to cover 6 months of expenses and loan payoff. 1) sustained some roof shingle damage. had insurance adjuster come out and inspect a few days ago and waiting for result of that. 2) aging car sucking away $ with repairs. Is it generally considered BWM to pay for something drastic like a transmission rebuild (~$1500-2k) for a 16 year old car, instead of just buying another used car?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I would probably buy a new used car.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

zaurg posted:

Thanks to two windfalls I was able to put $2509 towards my emergency fund this month to bring balance to $5200.

Stressing out a bit though because I have two things that are threatening to jeopardize my targets for a fully funded emergency savings to cover 6 months of expenses and loan payoff. 1) sustained some roof shingle damage. had insurance adjuster come out and inspect a few days ago and waiting for result of that. 2) aging car sucking away $ with repairs. Is it generally considered BWM to pay for something drastic like a transmission rebuild (~$1500-2k) for a 16 year old car, instead of just buying another used car?

Don't spend $2k on a 16 year old car you dingus.

You think it's just those two things threatening to jeopardize your targets?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Higgy posted:

Don't spend $2k on a 16 year old car you dingus.

This. $2k can buy you a much younger used car in much better condition and at 16 years your car is just going to have more and more expensive problems as things start getting old and worn. You might save some money by handling minor repairs yourself but you're going to be running into a >$400 mass air sensor replacement, EGR problems caused by old and worn oxygen sensors, grommets and wire insulation wearing down, water intrusion into stuff like door consoles, headlight/tail light enclosures, etc. Take that $2k plus whatever you can get for your car in sale or scrap, and get yourself a used honda or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
What if the 16 year old car has 53k miles on it and I bought it from the original owner (my grandma) @ 28k miles. She kept it in her garage / drove to church on Sundays. I left that part out when posting quickly earlier.

FAUXTON I hear you and that's what I worry about... let's say I fix this now and then a bunch of other things start deteriorating.

- water intrusion is already an issue in the trunk.
- I had water pump replaced about 6 months ago for ~$300.
- I have reoccurring electrical problems that get "fixed" for a few months and then return. The last time, last year, was that my door locks were broken and draining the battery. Now door locks work fine but battery was dead twice today and battery is only 1 year old.