Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Are you asking if we do or if you should? I don't think we can really answer that question for you, I'm under the impression that calling maintenance when you see a roach would be silly in some places and obvious in others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you do, because like it's different all over the world, in Northern Cal we don't unless we see more than one in a week or so.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

if I saw a single roach, I wouldn't call. but if I saw lots of roaches, I'd probably call maintenance and say I've spotted enough to think there's an infestation. but if my kitchen was a bombshell and absolutely rancid, I wouldn't call maintenance until I'd cleaned it and waited to see if that cleared the problem up.

how come whenever I take multivitamins before bed, I always wake up the next day feeling extra tired and it's so much harder for me to wake up? is it because I make extra melatonin or something along those lines? if I take the multivit early in the day, I'm fine. but taking it right before bed, I sleep so heavy and usually miss waking up on time the following day.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Apr 17, 2018

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

PRADA SLUT posted:

If I have Mathematica, do I also need Wolfram Alpha Pro for any reason, assuming I'm okay with querying Wolfram from inside Mathematica?

Unless something changed in the past year or two, I think you can't query W|A from Mathematica without being tied to a Wolfram Pro account.

But if you learn the relevant Mathematica commands for what you want to do, the W|A connection gives you basically no advantage.

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

Weird question.

A friend of mine sent me a link to some guy's tumblr who has a video of him inserting a screwdriver into his bellybutton.

There's no blood or anything graphic but this is extremely disturbing to watch imo so click at your own risk:

:nms: https://navelmuscle.tumblr.com/post/168254576961 :nms:

He also has a video of him pulling this long, long, rod of some kind, out of his belly button. Which is possibly even more disturbing:

:nms: https://navelmuscle.tumblr.com/post/158100917387/anyone-wanna-torture-my-body-please-message-me-on :nms:

Okay, so this is a 'bellybutton abuse' fetish apparently. But my question is. These videos have to be faked in some way, right? You can't just make a hole in your bellybutton and push long pieces of metal inside without some horrible infection or an amazing probability of piercing something important??

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

dirby posted:

Unless something changed in the past year or two, I think you can't query W|A from Mathematica without being tied to a Wolfram Pro account.

But if you learn the relevant Mathematica commands for what you want to do, the W|A connection gives you basically no advantage.

I think you can query WA regardless, but can't access anything that you couldn't normally access from wolframalpha.com, and you have some restrictions or limitations on repeated API calls or computation time or something. I have a WA Pro sub mainly for the step-by-step since it allows me to verify what it's doing or give me some insight as to what method its using. I can't find that in Mathematica anywhere.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
In a world of 8 billion(?) people, is it possible that every song that ever existed is someone’s absolute favorite song ever? Like even those 2 second Anal oval office or Agoraphobic Nosebleed songs?

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Robokomodo posted:

In a world of 8 billion(?) people, is it possible that every song that ever existed is someone’s absolute favorite song ever? Like even those 2 second Anal oval office or Agoraphobic Nosebleed songs?

i mean, if there's more than 8 billion songs, no.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Also not every song that's ever existed will be presented to even a tiny fraction of those 8 billion people. There's a shitload of songs that I've never heard in my life, countless published works, and untold numbers of songs that have ever been created that were never published in any capacity.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Is there any metabolic benefit to having something sweet with a meal? I always feel like having a dessert or sweet drink with dinner but I don't know if that's just because of habit or sugar's addictiveness

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Is there any metabolic benefit to having something sweet with a meal? I always feel like having a dessert or sweet drink with dinner but I don't know if that's just because of habit or sugar's addictiveness

My understanding is that when you're eating, your body starts producing insulin, which reduces your blood sugar. There's a lag time between eating a meal and that meal being turned into more blood sugar, so in the meantime you crave a quick sugar hit to bring it back up.

There's no actual benefit, because while the craving will go away if you eat something sweet, it will also go away if you just wait for a while and digest your food a bit.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Memento posted:

My understanding is that when you're eating, your body starts producing insulin, which reduces your blood sugar. There's a lag time between eating a meal and that meal being turned into more blood sugar, so in the meantime you crave a quick sugar hit to bring it back up.

There's no actual benefit, because while the craving will go away if you eat something sweet, it will also go away if you just wait for a while and digest your food a bit.

That makes sense.

Anyway, what's the cheapest way to get a wedding band?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

That makes sense.

Get pregnant.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Your post history in this thread is the most insane stream-of-consciousness randomness ever, it's great.

eBay will get you a tungsten carbide wedding band for like $20 delivered in a few different colours and polishes.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The Fitness Fanatic wisdom is that something sweet spikes your insulin, which is (among other things) responsible for 'opening up' the cells and allowing nutrient uptake.

I really, really doubt that it works like that and if it does the metabolic effect is 100% sure completely negligible.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Jeb! Repetition posted:

That makes sense.

My wife and I just... didn’t? We went on a sweet honeymoon instead of focusing on shiny rocks. vOv

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Jeb! Repetition posted:

That makes sense.

Hire some street buskers for sandwiches

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Memento posted:

Your post history in this thread is the most insane stream-of-consciousness randomness ever, it's great.

eBay will get you a tungsten carbide wedding band for like $20 delivered in a few different colours and polishes.

AliExpress sells the same stuff even cheaper.

The downside is that it can take up to 90 days to be delivered and many relationships don't last that long

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I'm going to a wedding in Marrakech in a few days and my wife says it's taboo for a guest to wear red - but I can't find this info anywhere. What's the deal with red at Moroccan weddings?

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Can't speak to Moroccan weddings, but at many Hindu weddings the bride will wear red, so wearing red yourself is kind of like showing up in a white dress to an American wedding when you're not the bride.

Edit: Did a Google image search and it looks like most guests wear light colors to Moroccan weddings. Not sure of the significance.

The Macaroni fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 18, 2018

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Is there an Archery thread anywhere? I've checked A/T, SAS, DIY, and TFR and found nothing.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Is there a cleaning thread somewhere, or should I just ask basic cleaning questions here?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Neo_Crimson posted:

Is there an Archery thread anywhere? I've checked A/T, SAS, DIY, and TFR and found nothing.
There is an archery thread in TFR.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Macaroni posted:

Can't speak to Moroccan weddings, but at many Hindu weddings the bride will wear red, so wearing red yourself is kind of like showing up in a white dress to an American wedding when you're not the bride.

Edit: Did a Google image search and it looks like most guests wear light colors to Moroccan weddings. Not sure of the significance.

I searched Moroccan wedding dress and got a lot of "Red Wedding Dress" image and web page results, so it seems right.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Internet Ettiquette, is it rude to wander into a thread on like SA or a similar heavily moderated forum board and ask open ended questions not relevant to the current discussion, but because I want to read peoples opinions on a subject? Most of the time, I just like reading people's opinions but they're not talking about what I want to read about so I try to steer the conversation, but that seems rude to me.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

Internet Ettiquette, is it rude to wander into a thread on like SA or a similar heavily moderated forum board and ask open ended questions not relevant to the current discussion, but because I want to read peoples opinions on a subject? Most of the time, I just like reading people's opinions but they're not talking about what I want to read about so I try to steer the conversation, but that seems rude to me.

Why would you not create a new thread on your topic of choice, perhaps in a relevant subforum, for this?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Penguissimo posted:

Why would you not create a new thread on your topic of choice, perhaps in a relevant subforum, for this?

Well it's normally the right thread, but goons are talking about Beer, Wiping their rear end, or Frog Dogs again.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Turtlicious posted:

Depends if you genuinely want to hear their opinions or if you have your own stupid opinions that you want to poo poo all over the thread, with your hands over your ears, shouting 'No! I am right and you are wrong'

(so, the way you just did it seems fine)

Qubee
May 31, 2013

SA is a lawless wasteland, you're overthinking things and are treating threads like you would normal social situations. Worst case scenario, you waltz into a thread and try and start a new convo, but are drowned out by everything else. Best case, you get people interested and a discussion going.

Just whatever you do, don't use hyperbole. I swear a vast majority of users on this forum can't comprehend it and take it at face value.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Several subforums have chat threads which is where something like that should probably go, and also, the conversation starter would ideally be at least tangentially related to the subforum.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Memento posted:

After 7 years I lost my $20 wedding band down the drain while washing my hands at a restaurant. I played it cool and ordered another one from Overstock.com on my phone. It came two days later and my wife never noticed the difference - it's been 3 more years. All the more reason to get a lovely $20 wedding ring.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Turtlicious posted:

Well it's normally the right thread, but goons are talking about Beer, Wiping their rear end, or Frog Dogs again.

By all means, see if you can steer things back on topic then. They may even thank you.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

What comic is this character from?:

revolther
May 27, 2008
MS Comic Chat. Apparently it's name is Jordy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Comic_Chat

revolther fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Apr 19, 2018

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Turtlicious posted:

If the question is on topic for the thread it's fine. Derails are just a fact of existence and sometimes a thread needs to be rerailed.

For some inexplicable reason goons talk about food, beer, and poop in literally every thread.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

revolther posted:

MS Comic Chat. Apparently it's name is Jordy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Comic_Chat

Aha, thank you! You actually helped me solve several related mysteries.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

You may also have seen it from Jerkcity, which uses the same assets https://www.jerkcity.com/about.html

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is there a thread anywhere on SA for questions about health insurance or Medicare, or do I have to go to The Goon Doctor and make one myself?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Is there a thread anywhere on SA for questions about health insurance or Medicare, or do I have to go to The Goon Doctor and make one myself?

Several have popped up before but they don't seem to last long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Is there a thread for ridesharing questions?

If not: I want to get a desk chair home - I was told it should fit in the back of a sedan, I'm wondering if Ubers would be okay with something like this - Has anyone done something like this? I don't want to piss some driver off or get stuck with no way to get this thing home. (Some searching pointed to UberCargo, but it doesn't seem to be an option in my app/city?)