Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

SolarFire2 posted:

I like that they're keeping Lando always pronouncing 'Han' like the word 'Hand' where everyone else [including Han] says it 'Hahn.'

I use the Lando pronunciation. Are you gonna tell me Lando is wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Mameluke posted:

AOTC is the best prequel. I love Padme's reckless streak, detective Obi-Wan, hired gun Jango Fett clowning on him, Sir Christopher Lee, and I love the sonic bomb noise.

I agree with this

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mameluke posted:

AOTC is the best prequel. I love Padme's reckless streak, detective Obi-Wan, hired gun Jango Fett clowning on him, Sir Christopher Lee, and I love the sonic bomb noise.

It’s also incredibly gorgeous

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hate Attack of the Clones so much. It's so bad looking. It's like any era Robert Rodriguez CGI movie. Everything doesn't fit and it looks cheap as hell thanks to the digital camera. Also Anakin sucks.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
You claim to want cooler fascists and higher polygon counts, so you should have high praise for Starship Troopers 5: Traitor Of Mars, the recent DTV sequel.

Obviously it’s better, because it has those things.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

galagazombie posted:

This is one of those "Lunatic's running the Asylum" things isn't it. Just like how they're misunderstanding balance in the Force. It's like what happened with Star Trek or all the Hollywood reboots where the people making it now don't understand the thing they're making and the actual creator(s) is gone. Droid rights was never a thing in Star Wars. Robot's don't work that way in this universe.

are you kidding? A new hope had R2 trick Luke into releasing his slave chains then ran away. The Cantina scene begins with the bartender telling them the droids aren't welcome.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You claim to want cooler fascists and higher polygon counts, so you should have high praise for Starship Troopers 5: Traitor Of Mars, the recent DTV sequel.

Obviously it’s better, because it has those things.

Does this really exist because if so I kinda wanna see it

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

gohmak posted:

are you kidding? A new hope had R2 trick Luke into releasing his slave chains then ran away. The Cantina scene begins with the bartender telling them the droids aren't welcome.

Next you're gonna tell me we were oppressed because you couldn't bring your car into the dentist's office.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

banned from Starbucks posted:

Does this really exist because if so I kinda wanna see it

At this point I'm surprised they're only up to the fourth sequel.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
can u imagine getting the Casper Van Dien/Cuba Gooding Jr. lifestyle of doing a voice in like the 8th direct to video version of a series you did 15 years ago? such a dream...

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

CelticPredator posted:

I hate Attack of the Clones so much. It's so bad looking. It's like any era Robert Rodriguez CGI movie. Everything doesn't fit and it looks cheap as hell thanks to the digital camera. Also Anakin sucks.

Yeah, it loving sucks. Finally we agree on something (other than toys).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hat Thoughts posted:

can u imagine getting the Casper Van Dien/Cuba Gooding Jr. lifestyle of doing a voice in like the 8th direct to video version of a series you did 15 years ago? such a dream...

IIRC he is an exec producer on the series, which is cool (if true, I refuse to look it up).

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Starship Troopers 5 isn’t even bad per se (it’s just kinda dull and anime-ish), but the point is that Celticpredator isn’t being honest here.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Would you define this the way you did nerdism?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Corrosion posted:

Would you define this the way you did nerdism?

It’s not as involved as that; I mean that it’s literally a Japanese animated film and they got anime voice-actors for half the cast.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

I mean poo poo, you should do it anyway then. It's not "anime-ish" if it's actually from Japan, that would mean it is an anime. Which then is just the Japanese word for what we would call cartoons. I had a friend from there tell me that X-Men the Animated Series was an American anime. So I am curious if there's a distinction to be made if something is said to have the quality of being anime and it isn't something animated by Japan folks.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Starship Troopers 5 isn’t even bad per se (it’s just kinda dull and anime-ish), but the point is that Celticpredator isn’t being honest here.

Rad effects work is necessary but not sufficient for a good science fiction movie (except Primer).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vintersorg posted:

. Finally we agree on something

Why do people keep pointing this out?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Next you're gonna tell me we were oppressed because you couldn't bring your car into the dentist's office.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Corrosion posted:

I mean poo poo, you should do it anyway then. It's not "anime-ish" if it's actually from Japan, that would mean it is an anime. Which then is just the Japanese word for what we would call cartoons. I had a friend from there tell me that X-Men the Animated Series was an American anime. So I am curious if there's a distinction to be made if something is said to have the quality of being anime and it isn't something animated by Japan folks.

The new 'rookie' characters are infantilized in a really familiar way, and the characters leap around in elaborate, stylized mech suits. The Verhoeven film has blocky, grey, prefab aesthetic throughout. The architecture is strictly functionalist.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

The new 'rookie' characters are infantilized in a really familiar way, and the characters leap around in elaborate, stylized mech suits. The Verhoeven film has blocky, grey, prefab aesthetic throughout. The architecture is strictly functionalist.

So the type of genericism that, say, Ghost in the Shell 2017 eschews. There's a lot of inherent fascism to that style that even Miyazaki visually rebukes or criticizes, such as the Gundam soldiers in Nausica, and that's probably what makes him the exception in a lot of cases. That and those films having settings not just being a functional backdrop but having substance.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

gohmak posted:

So he could run to his actual owners. Luke literally tells his uncle about his suspicions that the Droids are stolen. This prompts Owens decision to do a memory wipe because he doesn't want the real legal owners to track them down to reclaim the Droids he just spent a bunch of money on. R2 wasn't making a break for freedom, he was trying to follow the orders of his owners. If "Droid Slavery" is really a thing wouldn't he not have immediately tried to return to noted Droid owners the Rebellion?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

SolarFire2 posted:

I like that they're keeping Lando always pronouncing 'Han' like the word 'Hand' where everyone else [including Han] says it 'Hahn.'

i genuinely cannot tell the difference between how they pronounce Han and spelling it like 'Hahn' is if anything making the difference less clear

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

cargohills posted:

i genuinely cannot tell the difference between how they pronounce Han and spelling it like 'Hahn' is if anything making the difference less clear

Lando rhymes it with "man."

e: in an american accent, idk how you read "man."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

galagazombie posted:

So he could run to his actual owners. Luke literally tells his uncle about his suspicions that the Droids are stolen. This prompts Owens decision to do a memory wipe because he doesn't want the real legal owners to track them down to reclaim the Droids he just spent a bunch of money on. R2 wasn't making a break for freedom, he was trying to follow the orders of his owners. If "Droid Slavery" is really a thing wouldn't he not have immediately tried to return to noted Droid owners the Rebellion?

Man this thread just keeps on giving.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Lando rhymes it with "man."

e: in an american accent, idk how you read "man."

...do the other characters not just pronounce it that way too?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

cargohills posted:

...do the other characters not just pronounce it that way too?

Nah, they pronounce it like the har in harm.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Mameluke posted:

and I love the sonic bomb noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utFRqsT61-k

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Man this thread just keeps on giving.

An endless stream of people willing to argue the most beloved Star Wars character is not a character but a toaster and also nig- I mean, ahem, droids are inherently subservient and wouldn’t know what to do with freedom. It’s literally at least one new person a month with increasingly bizarre justifications

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

DeimosRising posted:

An endless stream of people willing to argue the most beloved Star Wars character is not a character but a toaster and also nig- I mean, ahem, droids are inherently subservient and wouldn’t know what to do with freedom. It’s literally at least one new person a month with increasingly bizarre justifications

It is a pretty amazing insight into the mindset of a racist, though. Like, I used to find it hard to imagine how people sincerely believed people with dark skin were subhuman, but 160 years ago any right-thinking person—even the most liberal at the time—could reason exactly the same way. They look so different and they’re so good at this kind of manual labor! They’re made explicitly to work for us! They don’t have a real society, so how could they live apart from our guidance? There are so many of them and they even outnumber us in many places, but they don’t rise up and take over—must be because they don’t have the biological drive for freedom! If they could think, there'd be none of us here, would there?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

DeimosRising posted:

I think I've said this before, but: It's often said that Star Wars isn't "real" science fiction, but a lot of people sure do struggle with the basic science-fictional conceits it introduces, like nonhuman sentience.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Zoran posted:

It is a pretty amazing insight into the mindset of a racist, though. Like, I used to find it hard to imagine how people sincerely believed people with dark skin were subhuman, but 160 years ago any right-thinking person—even the most liberal at the time—could reason exactly the same way. They look so different and they’re so good at this kind of manual labor! They’re made explicitly to work for us! They don’t have a real society, so how could they live apart from our guidance? There are so many of them and they even outnumber us in many places, but they don’t rise up and take over—must be because they don’t have the biological drive for freedom! If they could think, there'd be none of us here, would there?

You don’t have to go back 160 years.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

euphronius posted:

You don’t have to go back 160 years.

Oh believe me, I know, but I was specifically looking for a time when that kind of thing was what the more racially progressive people thought.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'd be very curious to know what George Lucas thought about droids having sentience. Was that ever part of any early versions of the story?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What do you mean? It’s part of all of the films

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

Zoran posted:

The logic is awesome to behold. This is pretty much exactly the argument of "Racism Without Racists".

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

galagazombie posted:

wow, congratulations, you are a racist.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Can we honestly not say that R2 merely had a bout of draeptomania?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Galagazombie’s not even misinterpreting the film; he’s just plain factually incorrect.

The droids’ legal owner was Captain Antilles, not Obiwan or Leia, and C3PO refers to Antilles in the past tense: “Our last master was Captain Antilles”.

C3PO ceases to recognize Antilles as his master long before any sort of reprogramming. C3PO also obviously has absolutely no concern with the legality of his ownership by the Lars family, and dismisses R2’s claims about Obiwan as a glitch: “with what we've been through, this little R2 unit has become a bit eccentric.”

So the idea that droids must obey their legal owners is purely something Galagazombie’s imagined - why?

C3PO is not programmed to obey. He is just making a basic observation that the Lars family are the ones who currently have him restrained. He’s resigned to it, and R2 is not.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Captain Antilles is dead by the time C3PO says that.

• Locked thread