Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Futaba Anzu posted:

tbh both flip flappers and princess principal both started off strong and promising but petered off really hard so that's not entirely a healthy endorsement imo but i know that's the unpopular opinion on this forum

I feel pretty much the same way so you’re not alone. They were both really exciting at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the staff crossover between gungale and pripri and flifla is minimal. plus, yeah, its an adaptation. the original novels are by the kino no tabi author but its leaning much more into his love of things like guns, androgynous girls, and short girls, then his love of weird allegories and quiet dialogue.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
having the same character designer and sharing many of the same key animators and animation directors is a decent basis for, "hey, i liked pripri's style and action, maybe i'll see more of that in gungale online"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Space Flower posted:

having the same character designer and sharing many of the same key animators and animation directors is a decent basis for, "hey, i liked pripri's style and action, maybe i'll see more of that in gungale online"

unfortunately they're using submachine guns and not ninjatos so it won't be the best part of pripri's action

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
i love kuroboshi kouhaku and their big-forehead girls and that geometric fixation they have on round shapes like petals and butterfly wings. ggo reprises princess principal's chief animation director, the person basically in charge of making sure the character animation maintains a consistent style throughout the show. that's reason enough for me, and the show has certainly not let me down

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
besides, the best part of pripri's action was swordplay, sure, but also it was the tiny girl trouncing the dudes twice her size like they were cannon fodder, which is still consistent here after switching out one weapon for the other

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway thinking the back halves of flifla and pripri were weak isn't really that uncommon an opinion around adtrw even if it's one i disagree with

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The Colonel posted:

anyway thinking the back halves of flifla and pripri were weak isn't really that uncommon an opinion around adtrw even if it's one i disagree with

I didn't like the late middle part of flip flap but it came back together in the end I think

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

GGO seems like goofy fun and that's enough for me for now :colbert:

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Pripri got way better as it went, that ending is great.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the laundry ep of pripri kinda sucked and i didnt like them basically repeating chitose's intro ep but with lamer gags, but the episode with dorothy's old friend and the ending were great

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
3D girl was very sweet this week :3: Igarashi is powerful

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I thought the penultimate ep of pripri was weak but the final ep was good

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

Futaba Anzu posted:

tbh both flip flappers and princess principal both started off strong and promising but petered off really hard so that's not entirely a healthy endorsement imo but i know that's the unpopular opinion on this forum

Blasphemers! You all... well, okay, not all, but a lot of you -- are blasphemers!*

* uttered for humorous purposes

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The last episode would have been better if it was a lead in to a second season instead of not being (so far).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

The last episode would have been better if it was a lead in to a second season instead of not being (so far).

its only been like 6 months, these things take time these days

and they're still pimping the pripri mobage and its gotten some random real-life promo stuff like an escape room, so itll probably happen sooner rather than later

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Futaba Anzu posted:

flip flappers petered off

what the gently caress

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
How’s the Persona 5 anime? Is it worth watching if I played the game? I was burned by Zestiria the X and don’t want to watch another bad video game anime

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Kashuno posted:

How’s the Persona 5 anime? Is it worth watching if I played the game? I was burned by Zestiria the X and don’t want to watch another bad video game anime

It's a rushed recounting of the game (the first episode more than the second) with only some small changes, but not awful so far.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
pripri and flip flappers are 2 of my favorite anime and i'm really digging sao so far. i've ended up with quite a lot to watch since steins gate 0 and how to train your fighter jet both had very promising premieres on top of all the other stuff i'm watching already

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Jenny Angel posted:

There's a terrifying amount of stuff airing this season that looks really interesting to me, please help me narrow it down at least a little bit from this list

- Golden Kamuy
- Hinamatsuri
- Hisone to Maso-san
- Lupin III Pt. 5
- Megalo Box
- SAO Alternative

What from that list looks skippable to you guys

From most skippable to least:

Golden Kamuy appears to add no value over the source material.

Hisone to Maso-san has the dumb Netflix release schedule, so either it will be talked about for a long time or will peter out so you can rely on reports from others who watched it first.

Lupin is timeless and can be watched at your convenience.

Hinamatsuri will have a sharp meme peak, so if it's your comedy jam then might want to stick with the popularity wave.

SAO sounds like your jam, so keep

Megalo Box still could flame out, but the upside is tremendous. Having the opportunity to watch and experience this while airing and choosing not to is too risky of a regret.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Megalobox and HisoMaso are the standout shows so far this season.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Oh Dragon Stomach Pilot is good so far, it just has less potential to be a "must watch while airing" show, especially if you are looking to only spend time on 5 or less shows. This show is so good that despite my wife and I having different tastes in comedy and her generally not watching action-y/mecha-y shows she was pretty engaged in the first episode with me making that "guuuh? *double take*" face at her.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

HisoMaso's definitely my standout so far, the first episode was super interesting and charming. I still want to try Hinamatsuri though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I can’t see many obvious reasons why Megalobox would crash and burn. Yeah, the staff are relative rookies (to their particular jobs, at least, not to anime in general), but we know from the first two episodes that they can art real good, and the story is simple, archetypal, and based on a critically-acclaimed classic. As (mostly) original anime goes, it feels like a really safe bet.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

From most skippable to least:

Golden Kamuy appears to add no value over the source material.

Hisone to Maso-san has the dumb Netflix release schedule, so either it will be talked about for a long time or will peter out so you can rely on reports from others who watched it first.

Lupin is timeless and can be watched at your convenience.

Hinamatsuri will have a sharp meme peak, so if it's your comedy jam then might want to stick with the popularity wave.

SAO sounds like your jam, so keep

Megalo Box still could flame out, but the upside is tremendous. Having the opportunity to watch and experience this while airing and choosing not to is too risky of a regret.

Correction - the lupin series where lupin steals a bunch of bitcoins from the silk road is timely as all hell

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The latest episode might be even too timely, it made me uncomfy.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

If I were to start watching Lupin now, would this be an alright place to start or should I go with one of the previous series? I'm aware that the various series are somewhat disconnected but not exactly to what degree.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Helter Skelter posted:

If I were to start watching Lupin now, would this be an alright place to start or should I go with one of the previous series? I'm aware that the various series are somewhat disconnected but not exactly to what degree.

This one will work, although it does have slightly more callbacks than the previous series, Part IV, and is generally a bit more self-referential. So you could start there in order to ease you into the series if you want, but it’s far from mandatory.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

Megalobox and HisoMaso are the standout shows so far this season.

:agreed:

Megalo I was sort of expecting thanks to the studio and that its sort of a anniversary thing which tend to not be bound by executive meddling but HisoMaso's premised sounded incredibly dumb but ended up being really good.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

This one will work, although it does have slightly more callbacks than the previous series, Part IV, and is generally a bit more self-referential. So you could start there in order to ease you into the series if you want, but it’s far from mandatory.

Basically this.

Lupin is a pretty inconsistent franchise (continuity-wise, tonally, and in terms of quality), both between and within series. Part I (Green Jacket) is generally pretty good, but has some really bad episodes, especially early on ("Farewell, My Beloved Witch" stands out as especially bad, despite coming right before the very good "Last Chance to Breakout"). It's episodic, and while there are a few points continuity across episodes (Goemon joining the group, Zenigata mentioning the number of times he's caught Lupin), there's also some things that don't fit very well together (like Fujiko's backstories that feel like the backstories of multiple characters - because that's what they were in the original manga). There's a shift to a lighter tone around the time Miyazaki takes over as director, which requires a degree of inconsistency in Lupin's characterization - he becomes a lot less ruthless without any acknowledged in-universe character development.

Part II (Red Jacket) is the longest series, and perhaps the most inconsistent in multiple senses. Very episodic (although there are some two-parters), characterization can swing wildly between episodes (particularly Zenigata's level of competence), some classic episodes but also plenty that feel phoned-in (to the point where watching the whole show straight through is generally considered a bad idea), a lot more embrace of supernatural or otherwise out-there elements than Part I (especially early Part I).

I haven't watched any of Part III (Pink Jacket), but it's generally not well regarded. It's supposed to have an unusual animation style and very formulaic plots.

Part IV (The Italian Adventure/Blue Jacket) breaks from tradition by having more of a continuous story arc (although there are several individual episodes that are essentially self-contained). It's set mostly in Italy, and introduces new recurring characters (although they have made only cameo appearances in Part V so far): Lupin's wife (on paper) Rebecca, her long-suffering butler Robson, and the MI6 agent Nyx. I'd say it's the most consistent quality-wise. There are some individual episodes (like "Requiem for the Assassins" and "High School Undercover") that are pretty bad, although even then the show stays fast-paced enough to avoid becoming truly tedious the way some Part II episodes do.

There's also a bajillion movies and specials, of varying quality. Castle of Cagliostro is probably the best-known and one of the best-regarded.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The Woman Called Fujiko Mine rules a whole lot, definitely check it out. It got some movie follow ups that I need to watch.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

an actual dog posted:

The Woman Called Fujiko Mine rules a whole lot, definitely check it out. It got some movie follow ups that I need to watch.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that one. I haven't gotten around to watching it yet, but it's generally well-regarded. It's a prequel to Part I, focused on Fujiko. Apparently it has a fairly dark tone and feminist themes.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

castle of cagliostro, the fuma conspiracy, the mystery of mamo, jigen's gravestone

there, done

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Tada-Kun continues being great.
Most of episode 3 was narrated by the cat, who is voiced by Ootsuka Akio (Solid Snake)

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Tamba posted:

Most of episode 3 was narrated by the cat, who is voiced by Ootsuka Akio (Solid Snake)

Of course he is :allears:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Tamba posted:

Shiiit :allears: show's good

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

an actual dog posted:

fujiko mine definitely rules, but it is really not where anyone should start watching lupin.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

fujiko mine definitely rules, but it is really not where anyone should start watching lupin.

wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i started with it and had a great time, though yeah it is a unique series that doesn't match tonally with about anything other than Jigen's Gravestone

• Locked thread